These Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy quotes will give you a quick glimpse into the popular franchise.
The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy was originally written by Douglas Adams back in the 1970s. Rumor has it that he came up with the idea to write it while gazing up at the starry night sky when he was backpacking through Europe. However, even Douglas Adams isn’t entirely sure that it’s true. But what is obvious and true is that his work has had a lot of success.
What started as one book has since become an entire franchise all following the story of the last human from Earth traveling the galaxy after the planet is destroyed.
The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy quotes below will give you a bite-sized piece of the huge franchise.
Don’t forget to also check out these swashbuckling Pirates of the Caribbean quotes.
Quick one-liner Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy Quotes
1. “Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.” – Douglas Adams
2. “I’d far rather be happy than right any day.” – Douglas Adams
3. “Here, for whatever reason, is the world. And here it stays. With me on it.” – Douglas Adams
4. “Reality is frequently inaccurate.” – Douglas Adams
5. “Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.” – Douglas Adams
6. “So once you do know what the question actually is, you’ll know what the answer means.” – Douglas Adams
7. “We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!” – Douglas Adams
8. “Don’t panic.” – Douglas Adams
9. “Drink up. The world’s about to end.” – Douglas Adams
10. “A learning experience is one of those things that say, ‘You know that thing you just did? Don’t do that.’” – Douglas Adams
11. “A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.” – Douglas Adams
12. “Ow! My brains!” – Douglas Adams
Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy Quotes About Life
13. “He felt that his whole life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was whether they were enjoying it.” – Douglas Adams
14. “Why should I want to make anything up? Life’s bad enough as it is without wanting to invent any more of it.” – Douglas Adams
15. “Perhaps I’m old and tired, but I always think that the chances of finding out what really is going on are so absurdly remote that the only thing to do is to say hang the sense of it and just keep yourself occupied.” – Douglas Adams
16. “‘Did I do anything wrong today,’ he said, ‘or has the world always been like this and I’ve been too wrapped up in myself to notice?’” – Douglas Adams
17. “Isn’t it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?” – Douglas Adams
18. “All through my life I’ve had this strange unaccountable feeling that something was going on in the world, something big, even sinister, and no one would tell me what it was.” – Douglas Adams
19. “And all dared to brave unknown terrors, to do mighty deeds, to boldly split infinitives that no man had split before—and thus was the Empire forged.” – Douglas Adams
20. “For instance, on the planet Earth, man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.” – Douglas Adams
21. “Nothing travels faster than the speed of light with the possible exception of bad news, which obeys its own special laws.” – Douglas Adams
22. “Why am I here? What’s my purpose in life?” – Douglas Adams
Absurd Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy Quotes
23. “The answer to the great question… of Life, the Universe and Everything… is… forty-two.” – Douglas Adams
24. “For a moment, nothing happened. Then, after a second or so, nothing continued to happen.” – Douglas Adams
25. “If they don’t keep exercising their lips, he thought, their brains start working.” – Douglas Adams
26. “On asking for directions: “My own strategy is to find a car… which looks as if it knows where it’s going and follow it.” – Douglas Adams
27. “It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.” – Douglas Adams
28. “Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?” – Douglas Adams
29. “Since we decided a few weeks ago to adopt the leaf as legal tender, we have, of course, all become immensely rich.” – Douglas Adams
30. “There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.” – Douglas Adams
31. “Is there any tea on this spaceship?” – Douglas Adams
32. “…and counted five hundred and ninety-seven thousand million sheep before falling asleep again a second later.” – Douglas Adams
Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy Quotes about Space
33. “Space is big. Really big. You just won’t believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggling big it is. I mean, you may think it’s a long way down the road to the chemist’s, but that just peanuts to space.” – Douglas Adams
34. “Looking up into the night sky is looking into infinity—distance is incomprehensible and therefore meaningless.” – Douglas Adams
35. “The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don’t.” – Douglas Adams
36. “In those days spirits were brave, the stakes were high, men were real men, women were real women and small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri were real small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri.” – Douglas Adams
More Memorable Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy Quotes
37. “‘I don’t want to die now!’ he yelled. ‘I’ve still got a headache! I don’t want to go to heaven with a headache, I’d be all cross and wouldn’t enjoy it!’” – Douglas Adams
38. “…he quite liked human beings after all, but he always remained desperately worried about the terrible number of things they didn’t know about.” – Douglas Adams
39. “Any man who can hitch the length and breadth of the galaxy, rough it, slum it, struggle against terrible odds, win through, and still know where his towel is is clearly a man to be reckoned with.” – Douglas Adams
40. “Life, don’t talk to me about life!” – Douglas Adams
41. “You are going to need a very stiff drink after hearing this.” – Douglas Adams
42. “There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened.” – Douglas Adams
43. “It is a well-known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it.” – Douglas Adams
44. “The last time anybody made a list of the top hundred character attributes of New Yorkers, common sense snuck in at number 79.” – Douglas Adams
45. “Protect me from knowing what I don’t need to know. Protect me from even knowing that there are things to know that I don’t know. Protect me from knowing that I decided not to know about the things that I decided not to know about. Amen.” – Douglas Adams
46. “All you really need to know for the moment is that the universe is a lot more complicated than you might think, even if you start from a position of thinking it’s pretty damn complicated in the first place.” – Douglas Adams
47. “I wonder if it will be friends with me?” – Douglas Adams
48. “The bird that would soar above the plain of tradition and prejudice must have strong wings.” – Douglas Adams
49. “Bypasses are devices that allow some people to dash from point A to point B very fast while other people dash from point B to point A very fast. People living at point C, being a point directly in between, are often given to wonder what’s so great about point A that so many people from point B are so keen to get there, and what’s so great about point B that so many people from point A are so keen to get there. They often wish that people would just once and for all work out where the hell they wanted to be.” – Douglas Adams
50. “‘My capacity for happiness,’ he added, ‘you could fit into a matchbox without taking out the matches first.’” – Douglas Adams
Which of these Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy quotes is your favorite?
You know that a story really grabs people’s attention when they continue to follow it and want more. As they finish consuming it, it creates a need to develop more of the same to satisfy their appetite for it and that’s what Douglas Adams did with the Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy.
There are now various versions of the story with adaptations, although they all follow the same basic premise. There are books, television series, radio shows, comic books, audiobooks, and video games.
Basically, you can enjoy the story and characters through whatever form of media that you like best. So, give it a try and see what you think.
Did you enjoy reading these Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy quotes and lines? Which of the quotes is your favorite? Let us know in the comment section below.
June 29, 2021 7:00 AM EST