The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy Quotes from Douglas Adams
August 10, 2022 5:02 AM EST
These Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy quotes will give you a quick glimpse into the popular franchise.
The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy was originally written by Douglas Adams back in the 1970s.
Rumor has it that he came up with the idea to write it while gazing up at the starry night sky when he was backpacking through Europe.
However, even Douglas Adams isn’t entirely sure that it’s true.
But what is obvious and true is that his work has had a lot of success.
What started as one book has since become an entire franchise all following the story of the last human from Earth traveling the galaxy after the planet is destroyed.
The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy quotes below will give you a bite-sized piece of the huge franchise.
Don’t forget to also check out these swashbuckling Pirates of the Caribbean quotes.
Check out our most popular quote article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily inspiration.
Explore our complete collection of motivational quotes here.
Quick one-liner Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy Quotes
1. “Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.” – Douglas Adams
You will also enjoy our article on The Silence of the Lambs quotes.
2. “I’d far rather be happy than right any day.” – Douglas Adams
3. “Here, for whatever reason, is the world. And here it stays. With me on it.” – Douglas Adams
4. “Reality is frequently inaccurate.” – Douglas Adams
5. “Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.” – Douglas Adams
6. “So once you do know what the question actually is, you’ll know what the answer means.” – Douglas Adams
7. “We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!” – Douglas Adams
8. “Don’t panic.” – Douglas Adams
9. “Drink up. The world’s about to end.” – Douglas Adams
10. “A learning experience is one of those things that say, ‘You know that thing you just did? Don’t do that.’” – Douglas Adams
11. “A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.” – Douglas Adams
12. “Ow! My brains!” – Douglas Adams
Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy Quotes About Life
13. “He felt that his whole life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was whether they were enjoying it.” – Douglas Adams
14. “Why should I want to make anything up? Life’s bad enough as it is without wanting to invent any more of it.” – Douglas Adams
15. “Perhaps I’m old and tired, but I always think that the chances of finding out what really is going on are so absurdly remote that the only thing to do is to say hang the sense of it and just keep yourself occupied.” – Douglas Adams
16. “‘Did I do anything wrong today,’ he said, ‘or has the world always been like this and I’ve been too wrapped up in myself to notice?’” – Douglas Adams
17. “Isn’t it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?” – Douglas Adams
18. “All through my life I’ve had this strange unaccountable feeling that something was going on in the world, something big, even sinister, and no one would tell me what it was.” – Douglas Adams
19. “And all dared to brave unknown terrors, to do mighty deeds, to boldly split infinitives that no man had split before—and thus was the Empire forged.” – Douglas Adams
20. “For instance, on the planet Earth, man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.” – Douglas Adams
21. “Nothing travels faster than the speed of light with the possible exception of bad news, which obeys its own special laws.” – Douglas Adams
22. “Why am I here? What’s my purpose in life?” – Douglas Adams
Absurd Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy Quotes
23. “The answer to the great question… of Life, the Universe and Everything… is… forty-two.” – Douglas Adams
24. “For a moment, nothing happened. Then, after a second or so, nothing continued to happen.” – Douglas Adams
25. “If they don’t keep exercising their lips, he thought, their brains start working.” – Douglas Adams
Which of these Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy quotes is your favorite?
You know that a story really grabs people’s attention when they continue to follow it and want more.
As they finish consuming it, it creates a need to develop more of the same to satisfy their appetite for it and that’s what Douglas Adams did with the Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy.
There are now various versions of the story with adaptations, although they all follow the same basic premise.
There are books, television series, radio shows, comic books, audiobooks, and video games.
Basically, you can enjoy the story and characters through whatever form of media that you like best.
So, give it a try and see what you think.
Did you enjoy reading these Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy quotes and lines?
Which of the quotes is your favorite?
Let us know in the comment section below.