Evangelion (Neon Genesis Evangelion) is a 90s Japanese anime television series and these Evangelion quotes come from all your favorite characters.
If you have heard of the show, you might have heard it was also a bit controversial.
Why is Evangelion controversial?
Well, it mostly comes down to the violence.
It isn’t your typical cartoon violence.
The level of violence is much bloodier, darker, and often brutal than other animes.
It can be downright frightening!
Despite this, the show is quite popular and can be watched on various streaming channels like Netflix, Google Play, YouTube, and VUDU.
If you haven’t seen it before, and are a fan of anime, you should give it a go.
The multilayered approach and how the writers can make anime tropes seem unique is impressive.
Technically speaking, the blocking and framing are also superb.
Who wouldn’t want to watch a show about violent monsters descending upon Earth to destroy humanity?
The hero, Shinji, is a reluctant young man, who joins a small squad of pilots under the command of his unfeeling father to drive back their enemies.
Keep reading through these Evangelion quotes to learn more about the characters and the show that is an important part of anime history.
Don’t forget to also check out these anime quotes to motivate and inspire you.
Evangelion Quotes from Rei Ayanami
1. “Those who hate themselves cannot love or trust others.” — Rei Ayanami
2. “You misunderstood from the very beginning. You just believed what you wanted to believe.” — Rei Ayanami
3. “Man fears the darkness, and so he scrapes away at the edges of it with fire.” — Rei Ayanami
4. “Man made from man and woman.” — Rei Ayanami
5. “That’s because you thought that everyone else felt the same as you do.” — Rei Ayanami
6. “You never understood anything.” — Rei Ayanami
7. “Then what is your heart for?” — Rei Ayanami
8. “The things I possess are a life and soul. I am a vessel for a soul.” — Rei Ayanami
9. “Very strange. I feel as if my body is melting.” — Rei Ayanami
10. “You don’t want to be by yourself, correct? We are many, but you are alone. You hate it don’t you?” — Rei Ayanami
Evangelion Quotes from Misato Katsuragi
11. “Giving up halfway is worse than never trying at all.” — Misato Katsuragi
12. “Sometimes you need a little wishful thinking just to keep on living.” — Misato Katsuragi
13. “Never underestimate the ability of the human-animal to adapt to its environment.” — Misato Katsuragi
14. “Part of growing up means finding a way to interact with others while distancing pain.” — Misato Katsuragi
15. “Stop lying to yourself and realize that you *do* have options. Then… accept the choices you’ve made.” — Misato Katsuragi
16. “The power’s still on. There’s still time. Shinji, listen to me… from now on, you’re on your own. You’ll have to make your own decisions. No one can do it for you.” — Misato Katsuragi
17. “I’m not gonna feel sorry for you. If you don’t like feeling pain, then you can just sit here and let them kill you! Crying isn’t going to solve anything either!” — Misato Katsuragi
18. “The one who deserves to survive is the one who has the will to make it happen. He wished for death. He ignored his will to survive and chose to die for a false hope. Your survival is not a mistake, Shinji.” — Misato Katsuragi
19. “That doesn’t mean it’s okay for you to give up! If you do, I’ll never forgive you as long as I live. God knows I’m not perfect either. I’ve made tons of stupid mistakes and later I regretted them. And I’ve done it over and over again, thousands of times. A cycle of hollow joy and vicious self-hatred. But even so, every time I learned something about myself.” — Misato Katsuragi
20. “You hate yourself, don’t you? That’s why you hurt others. Deep down you know you suffer more when you cause someone else pain… than if you just let yourself get hurt. But Shinji, that was your decision, so it makes it a valid choice. That’s what you wanted. So, that makes it worthwhile.” — Misato Katsuragi
Evangelion Quotes from Kaworu Nagisa
21. “The thread of human hope is spun with the flax of sorrow.” — Kaworu Nagisa
22. “You are delicate like glass, especially your heart.” — Kaworu Nagisa
23. “Man cannot erase this sadness, because all men are fundamentally alone.” — Kaworu Nagisa
24. “Whether I live or die makes no great difference. In truth, death may be the only absolute freedom there is.” — Kaworu Nagisa
25. “Pain is something man must carry in his heart, and since the heart feels pain so easily, some believe that life is pain.” — Kaworu Nagisa
Which of these Evangelion quotes is your favorite?
Another reason for the show’s controversy, and unfavorable reviews, was because of the last two episodes.
Critics and viewers found them confusing and too abstract.
However, in 1997, the creators released The End of Evangelion, which provided some clarity.
This led to a series of four films called Rebuild of Evangelion, which can be viewed on Amazon Prime.
The series was quite successful and is credited with the “rebirth of the anime industry.”
The cultural icon reached record-breaking sales in Japanese markets through film, manga, home video, and other products in the Evangelion franchise.
The show has spanned from the early 90s through 2021, which is no easy feat!
The show deals with a myriad of human emotions and teaches some valuable life lessons, which you might have noticed in these Evangelion quotes and sayings.
What are some of your favorites from the series?
Let us know in the comment section below.
August 11, 2022 5:00 AM EST