Fans of war films will love these Thin Red Line quotes!
The Thin Red Line is a movie that was released in 1998 as a remake of the 1964 movie of the same name, adapted from the 1962 novel by James Jones of the same name.
The war movie was directed by Terrence Malick and stars Sean Penn, Adrien Brody, Jim Caviezel, and George Clooney, among other actors and actresses.
The Thin Red Line was met with generally good reviews from critics, and it performed well at the box office, where it grossed over $98 million against a $52 million budget.
The movie’s plot takes place in 1942 when a battalion of U.S. soldiers are tasked with taking the high point of an island away from Japanese forces.
The Japanese forces have heavy artillery at the top of the hill, which seems like a suicide mission to many.
But Lieutenant Colonel Tall demands that they push forward.
Take a look at these Thin Red Line quotes to learn more about the movie.
You will also enjoy our article on Full Metal Jacket quotes.
Intense Thin Red Line Quotes
Check out some intense quotes from the movie!
1. “I’m dying. Slow as a tree.” — Lt. Col. Gordon Tall
2. “You attack hard and center!” — Lt. Col. Gordon Tall
3. “Wars don’t ennoble men; it turns them into dogs, poisons the soul.” — Private Witt
4. “We were a family. How’d it break up and come apart so that now we’re turned against each other?” — Private Witt
5. “Now, I want you to attack. I want you to attack right now with every man at your disposal!” — Lt. Col. Gordon Tall
6. “We’re living in a world that’s blowing itself to pieces as fast as everybody can arrange it.” — First Sergeant Edward Welsh
7. “Look at the vines, the way they twine around the trees, swallowing everything. Nature’s cruel, Staros.” — Lt. Col. Gordon Tall
8. “I wondered how it’d be like when I died, what it’d be like to know this breath now was the last one you was ever gonna draw.” — Private Witt
9. “What difference do you think you can make, one single man in all this madness? If you die, it’s gonna be for nothing.” — First Sergeant Edward Welsh
10. “It makes no difference who you are, no matter how much training you got and the tougher guy you might be. When you’re at the wrong spot at the wrong time, you gonna get it.” — Sergeant Storm
Classic Thin Red Line Quotes
Here are some classic quotes from the movie!
11. “Love. Where does it come from?” — Private Bell
12. “How many men is it worth? How many lives?” — Lt. Col. Gordon Tall
13. “How did we lose all the good that was given us? Let it slip away.” — Private Witt
14. “One man looks at a dying bird and thinks there’s nothing but unanswered pain.” — Private Train
15. “Maybe all men got one big soul everybody’s a part of; all faces are the same man.” — Private Witt
16. “It’s never necessary to tell me that you think I’m right. We’ll just… assume it.” — Lt. Col. Gordon Tall
17. “Lives will be lost in your company, Captain. If you don’t have the stomach for it, now is the time to let me know.” — Lt. Col. Gordon Tall
Most Remembered Thin Red Line Quotes
Enjoy these most remembered quotes from the movie!
18. “I was a prisoner. You set me free.” — Private Bell
19. “In this world, a man, himself, is nothing.” — First Sergeant Edward Welsh
20. “I don’t like to see my men get killed, sir.” — Captain James’ Bugger’ Staros
21. “Nothing’s stoppin’ us. It’s high ground by nightfall!” — Lt. Col. Gordon Tall
22. “Everything a lie. Everything you hear, everything you see.” — First Sergeant Edward Welsh
23. “Difficult decision to make. I don’t think you’re tough enough here.” — Lt. Col. Gordon Tall
24. “Everyone lookin’ for salvation by himself. Each like a coal thrown from the fire.” — Private Witt
25. “The tough part is, uh… Not knowing if you’re doing any good. That’s the hard part.” — Captain James’ Bugger’ Staros
What Happens to the U.S. Battalion?
The first company is gunned down by heavy firepower when they rush the hill.
Lieutenant Whyte is among the dead.
When the next company is ordered to push forward regardless of the circumstances, Captain James Staros refuses as he knows it is a suicide mission.
Captain Staros is stripped of his position, and a group is sent to flank the Japanese gunners so that the Americans win the battle.
Please share these Thin Red Line quotes with your friends and family and post any comments about the movie in the comment section below.