If you are searching for the best clothes quotes, stop banging your head on the internet.
Here, we have created a collection of the most popular clothes sayings of all time.
These quotes are engaging, and inspiring and can help empower you.
However, before going to the quotes section, let’s briefly discuss the history of clothing.
History of Clothing
When it comes to making clothes, humans have used a wide range of basic materials such as natural fibers, grass, and animal skins.
Archaeologists believe humans started wearing clothes to protect themselves from intense weather conditions.
Later, clothes became an essential element of almost every culture and religion.
We aren’t sure when our ancestors invented clothing.
However, it is estimated that people started wearing clothes between 100,000 and 500,000 years ago.
A few thousand years ago, humans were capable of making clothing materials using weaving and spinning tools.
Unfortunate Facts about Clothes
Nearly 80 billion pieces of clothing are made and sold each year.
Besides, billions of used clothes are discarded annually to create room for new ones.
This suggests how mercilessly we are misusing our resources and creating trouble for generations.
Listed below are a few of the astonishingly unfortunate facts about clothes.
- To create one cotton shirt, 700 gallons of water are used.
- Every year, an average American discards 82 pounds of textile waste.
- The decomposition of clothing might take up to 40 years.
- Although 95% of textiles are recyclable, they aren’t usually recycled.
- It’s not uncommon for clothing donated to charities to be sold abroad.
If you enjoy this article, check out our collection of accessories quotes to groom your fashion sense.
Top 10 Clothes Quotes
The top ten clothes quotes from our collection are listed below.
1. “I don’t design clothes, I design dreams.” — Ralph Lauren
2. “The body is a clothing that suits us for life.” — Charles de Leusse
3. “A lot of the clothes I wear on telly are second-hand.” — Bettany Hughes
4. “You don’t need really expensive clothes to look cute.” — Christy Romano
5. “Common sense is genius dressed in its working clothes.” — Ralph Waldo Emerson
6. “Throw off your worries when you throw off your clothes at night.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
7. “Expensive clothing is a poor man’s attempt to appear prosperous.” — Mokokoma Mokhonoana
8. “Fashion is a language that creates itself in clothes to interpret reality.” — Karl Lagerfeld
9. “Clothing doesn’t really change a man. But it changes how others react to him.” — Brandon Sanderson
10. “When I get a little money I buy books, and if any is left I buy food and clothes.” — Desiderius Erasmus
Clothes Quotes with a Strong Message
Each of the clothes quotes listed below has a special meaning attached to it.
11. “Some victories are merely defeat wearing the wrong clothing.” — Kiersten White
12. “Man invented clothing to cover the superficial and discover the inside.” — Andrzej Majewski
13. “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” — Mark Twain
14. “Minimalist clothing can convey a classic and memorable sense of personal identity.” — Joshua Becker
15. “Jewelry maybe is more expensive than clothes, but clothes are more important than jewelry.” — Amit Kalantri
16. “We need houses as we need clothes, architecture stimulates fashion. It’s like hunger and thirst — you need them both.” — Karl Lagerfeld
17. “If wrappings of cloth can impart respectability, the most respectable persons are the Egyptian mummies, all wrapped in layers and layers of gauze.” — Kamala Suraiyya Das
18. “If you don’t respect science, clothing, feeding, and keeping you alive, then a thinking person should break every rule to avoid going to your idea of heaven.” — Dr. Peter Ojo
19. “The old quip that “Clothes make the man or woman” may be debatable, but it is certainly true that the clothes we wear can have a strong psychological effect on how we feel about ourselves, and how others think about us.” — Cindy Ann Peterson
20. “Clothes as text, clothes as narration, clothes as a story. Clothes as the story of our lives. And if you were to gather all the clothes you have ever owned in all your life, each baby shoe and winter coat and wedding dress, you would have your autobiography.” — Linda Grant
If you enjoy this article, check out our collection of dress quotes that will stimulate your sense of style.
Clothes Quotes that are Attention Grabbers
The following clothes quotes by some competent people will immediately attract anyone’s attention. No doubt, these quotes are worth sharing.
21. “He with the cleanest clothes isn’t necessarily the cleanest.” — Mokokoma Mokhonoana
22. “Over the years I have learned that what is important in a dress is the woman who is wearing it.” — Yves Saint Laurent
23. “In today’s world everything is political. We are a statement; our clothes, haircut, the way we act.” — Olga Tokarczuk
24. “I like to be myself, and I don’t pretend. For instance, I don’t dress up for occasions; I am what I am.” — Virat Kohli
25. “I say, beware of all enterprises that require new clothes, and not rather a new wearer of clothes.” — Henry David Thoreau
26. “As you get older, your tastes get simpler. I like a sleek evening dress with a pair of big earrings. That’s all.” — Ivana Trump
27. “Wearing clothes we feel good in can help us maintain a positive outlook by increasing our self-acceptance and self-confidence.” — Cindy Ann Peterson
28. “We are, at almost every point of our day, immersed in cultural diversity: faces, clothes, smells, attitudes, values, traditions, behaviours, beliefs, rituals.” — Randa Abdel-Fattah
29. “As choice increases, so does paralysis of decision. Ever stare into a full closet of clothes and still have no idea what to wear? As options increase, so does the sense of bewilderment and frustration.” — Joshua Becker
30. “If most of us are ashamed of shabby clothes and shoddy furniture let us be more ashamed of shabby ideas and shoddy philosophies. It would be a sad situation if the wrapper were better than the meat wrapped inside it.” — Albert Einstein
You will also enjoy our article on weaving quotes.
Clothes Quotes for Instagram
Here are some Insta-worthy quotes to make your post more catchy.
31. “Humility and knowledge in poor clothes excel pride and ignorance in costly attire.” — William Penn
32. “Reading books is like wearing winter clothes; it covers and warms up the body of your naked soul.” — Munia Khan
33. “Buy less. Choose well. Make it last. Quality, not quantity. Everybody’s buying far too many clothes.” — Vivienne Westwood
34. “It is the eye of other people that ruin us. If I were blind I would want, neither fine clothes, fine houses, or fine furniture.” — Benjamin Franklin
35. “It’s so easy to be insecure about your looks or if you’re wearing the right clothes, or your hair and makeup. And I think it’s just so important to stay true to who you are.” — Sadie Sink
36. “The wheel… is an extension of the foot. The book… is an extension of the eye. Clothing, an extension of the skin. Electric circuitry, an extension of the central nervous system.” — Marshall McLuhan
37. “If I waited for a proper occasion to get dressed up I’d never wear half of these clothes. Put on the clothes and you make things happen to match them. It doesn’t work the other way around.” — Erin Kelly
38. “There is much to support the view that it is clothes that wear us, and not we, them; we may make them take the mould of arm or breast, but they mould our hearts, our brains, our tongues to their liking.” — Virginia Woolf
39. “Never use the word “cheap”. Today everybody can look chic in inexpensive clothes (the rich buy them too). There is good clothing design on every level today. You can be the chicest thing in the world in a T-shirt and jeans — it’s up to you.” — Karl Lagerfeld
40. “We need to steer clear of this poverty of ambition, where people want to drive fancy cars and wear nice clothes and live in nice apartments but don’t want to work hard to accomplish these things. Everyone should try to realize their full potential.” — Barack Obama
You will also enjoy our article on sneaker quotes.
Funny Clothes Quotes
Here, we have compiled a list of funny quotes to bring fun and amusement into your life. So, read and enjoy.
41. “Judge not a man by his clothes, but by his wife’s clothes.” — Thomas Dewar
42. “Many come to bring their clothes to church rather than themselves.” — Thomas Fuller
43. “I’m like every other woman: a closet full of clothes, but nothing to wear: So I wear jeans.” — Cameron Diaz
44. “I am done wearing clothes to make other people feel comfortable at the expense of my womanhood.” — Brittany Gibbons
45. “He was a tubby little chap who looked as if he had been poured into his clothes and had forgotten to say ‘when!” — P. G. Wodehouse
46. “Department stores have come out with a new size for their clothing line that fits me perfectly. The label reads, XXL-LOL!” — James Hauenstein
47. “Only men who are not interested in women are interested in women’s clothes. Men who like women never notice what they wear.” — Anatole France
48. “When I came up to bat with three men on and two outs in the ninth, I looked in the other team’s dugout and they were already in street clothes.” — Bob Uecker
49. “Sometimes I wake up in the morning and I am like, ‘This is a high-top day’ or ‘This is a bob day,’ but when I get my clothes on that’s when I see.” — Nicki Minaj
50. “Clothes have memories, and sometimes you don’t want to remember. People remember where they bought the clothes, who gave them, or where they stole them from.” — Sam Worthington
Which of these Clothes Quotes is Your Favorite?
After going through our immersive collection of clothes quotes and sayings, you must have learned about the social and cultural values of clothes.
Besides, you don’t need expensive clothing to look fabulous, it’s the way you carry your dress that makes you stand out.
You can look exceptionally remarkable in even a simple dress if you know how to wear it and when to wear it.
If you like our clothes quotes, don’t forget to share them with friends and family.
Also, we would love to know which one of these clothes quote is your favorite.
So, do mention it in the comments section below.