A beloved Avatar: The Last Airbender character and master of inspiration, Uncle Iroh’s easy-going demeanor and endless wisdom captivated audiences worldwide. Relive the popular Nickelodeon series by reading the Uncle Iroh quotes below.
What’s your favorite episode of Avatar: The Last Airbender?
General Iroh, otherwise known as “Uncle”, is a fictional character from the Primetime Emmy-winning Nickelodeon animated series Avatar: The Last Airbender. Iroh accompanied the series’ antihero, Prince Zuko, as he began his search to capture the Avatar.
The tea-obsessed retired Fire Nation general dropped many inspirational, insightful quotes throughout the series, and many of them are listed below.
Add some inspiration to your day by checking out the quotes below!
Also check out these Yoda quotes to awaken the force within.
Powerful Uncle Iroh quotes
1. “It’s time for you to look inward and start asking yourself the big question: who are you and what do you want?” – Uncle Iroh
2. “Be careful what you wish for, Admiral. History is not always kind to its subjects.” – Uncle Iroh
3. “You are going through a metamorphosis, my nephew. It will not be a pleasant experience but when you come out of it. You will be the beautiful prince you were always meant to be.” – Uncle Iroh
4. “Are you so busy fighting you cannot see your own ship has set sail?” – Uncle Iroh
5. “Many things that seem threatening in the dark become welcoming when we shine light on them.” – Uncle Iroh
6. “Is it your own destiny? Or is it a destiny someone else has tried to force on you?” – Uncle Iroh
7. “You have light and peace inside of you. If you let it out, you can change the world around you.” – Uncle Iroh
8. “Even in the material world, you will find that if you look for the light, you can often find it. But if you look for the dark, that is all you will ever see.” – Uncle Iroh
9. “Failure is only the opportunity to begin again. Only this time, more wisely.” – Uncle Iroh
10. “Good times become good memories, but bad times become good lessons.” – Uncle Iroh
11. “There are reasons each of us are born. We have to find those reasons.” – Uncle Iroh
12. “You are not the man you used to be. You are stronger and wiser and freer than you ever used to be. And now you have come at the crossroads of the destiny. It’s time for you to choose. It’s time for you to choose good.” – Uncle Iroh
13. “Follow your passion and life will reward you.” – Uncle Iroh
14. “At my age, there is really only one big surprise left, and I’d just as soon leave it a mystery.” – Uncle Iroh
15. “You must look within yourself to save yourself from your other self. Only then will your true self reveal itself.” – Uncle Iroh
16. “It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place it becomes rigid and stale.” – Uncle Iroh
Uncle Iroh quotes about life
17. “Sometimes life is like this dark tunnel, you can’t always see the light at the end of the tunnel, but if you just keep moving, you will come to a better place.” – Uncle Iroh
18. “Life happens wherever you are, whether you make it or not.” – Uncle Iroh
19. “Destiny is a funny thing. You never know how things are going to work out. But if you keep an open mind and an open heart, I promise you will find your own destiny someday.” – Uncle Iroh
20. “It is usually best to admit mistakes when they occur, and to seek to restore honor.” – Uncle Iroh
21. “While it is always best to believe in one’s self, a little help from others can be a great blessing.” – Uncle Iroh
22. “Sometimes the best way to solve your own problems is to help someone else.” – Uncle Iroh
23. “There are reasons each of us are born. We have to find those reasons.” – Uncle Iroh
Also check out these hilarious Shrek quotes and sayings to bring out the ogre in you.
Uncle Iroh quotes about handling emotion
24. “Protection and power are overrated. I think you are very wise to choose happiness and love.” – Uncle Iroh
25. “There’s nothing wrong with a life of peace and prosperity. I suggest you think about what it is that you want from your life, and why.” – Uncle Iroh
26. “I was never angry with you. I was sad, because I was afraid you’d lost your way.” – Uncle Iroh
27. “Pride is not the opposite of shame, but it’s source. True humility is the only antidote to shame.” – Uncle Iroh
28. “In the darkest times, hope is something you give yourself. That is the meaning of inner strength.” – Uncle Iroh
29. “You must never give into despair. Allow yourself to slip down that road and you surrender to your lowest instincts.” – Uncle Iroh
Uncle Iroh quotes about bending
30. “Lightning is a pure expression of firebending without aggression. It is not fueled by rage or emotion the way other firebending is. Some call lightning the cold-blooded fire. It is precise and deadly like Azula. To perform the technique requires peace of mind.” – Uncle Iroh
31. “Understanding others, the other elements, the other nations, will help you become whole.” – Uncle Iroh
32. “It is the combination of the four elements in one person that makes the Avatar so powerful. But it can make you more powerful too.” – Uncle Iroh
33. “There is energy all around us. The energy is both yin and yang — positive energy and a negative energy. Only a select few Firebenders can separate these energies. This creates an imbalance. The energy wants to restore balance, and in the moment the positive and negative energy come crashing back together, you provide release and guidance, creating lightning.” – Uncle Iroh
34. “Forgive my nephew; he is not an initiate and has little appreciation for the cryptic arts. Power in firebending comes from the breath, not the muscle!” – Uncle Iroh
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to check out our collection of nephew quotes to make you love being an aunt or uncle.
Funny Uncle Iroh quotes
35. “Who knew floating on a piece of driftwood for three weeks, with no food or water, and sea vultures waiting to pluck out your liver, could make one so tense!” – Uncle Iroh
36. “There is nothing wrong with letting people who love you, help you. Not that I love you. I just met you.” – Uncle Iroh
37. “I know you’re not supposed to cry over spilled tea, but it’s just so sad!” – Uncle Iroh
38. “Who would have thought that, after all these years, I would return to the scene of my greatest military disgrace…as a tourist!” – Uncle Iroh
39. “So this is how the great Commander Zhao acts in defeat? Disgraceful. Even in exile, my nephew is more honorable than you. Thanks again for the tea. It was delicious.” – Uncle Iroh
40. “More tea, please!” – Uncle Iroh
41. “Zuko, it’s time we had a talk…about your hair. It’s gone too far!” – Uncle Iroh
42. “Ick! This tea is nothing more than hot leaf juice!” – Uncle Iroh
43. “You’re looking at the rare white dragon bush. Its leaves make a tea so delicious it’s heartbreaking! That, or it’s the white jade bush, which is poisonous.” – Uncle Iroh
44. “Sick of tea? That’s like being sick of breathing!” – Uncle Iroh
More Uncle Iroh quotes
45. “I always tried to tell you that Pai Sho is more than just a game.” – Uncle Iroh
46. “The only thing better than finding something you are looking for is finding something you weren’t looking for at a great bargain!” – Uncle Iroh
47. “So I was thinking about names for my new tea shop… how about… the Jasmine Dragon? It’s dramatic, poetic… has a nice ring to it.” – Uncle Iroh
48. “It’s a lovely night for a walk. Why don’t you join me? It would clear your head. Or, just stay in your room and sit in the dark. Whatever makes you happy.” – Uncle Iroh
49. “You should know this is not a natural sickness. But that shouldn’t stop you from enjoying tea.” – Uncle Iroh
50. “You sound like my nephew. Always thinking you need to do things on your own without anyone’s support.” – Uncle Iroh
51. “Yes, you have. You struggled. You suffered. But you have always followed your own path. You’ve restored your own honor. And only you can restore the honor of the Fire Nation.” – Uncle Iroh
What emotions fuel your goals?
Throughout the series, Uncle Iroh is constantly trying to help Zuko grow into a better person. After becoming exiled by the Fire Nation, Zuko’s search for the Avatar becomes fueled by rage. Iroh offers Zuko with a more peaceful alternative to handle the situation at hand, to guide Zuko towards the right path in the long run.
Do you often find yourself being fueled by rage or another negative emotion? Often, there’s a more positive way to handle the goal you’re looking to accomplish. Changing your motivation behind your actions can lead to a different turn of events, often in your favor.
Which of these Uncle Iroh quotes and lines is your favorite? Is there another TV character that we should showcase? Let us know below!
May 19, 2021 6:00 AM EST