Whether you are an astronomy buff, science fan, historian, or lover of beautiful things, you will surely enjoy our Venus quotes.
Venus is the second planet from the sun, but its impact on human civilization goes back to our earliest civilizations.
Find out more about this mesmerizing planet with our Venus quotes below.
What is Venus?
Venus is the second planet from the sun.
It is also the hottest and brightest planet in the solar system.
Check out these incredible facts about Venus below:
- A day on Venus is longer than a year on Earth.
- Unlike other planets, Venus spins clockwise on its axis.
- Venus is hotter than Mercury despite being further from the sun.
How did Venus get its name?
In different cultures, Venus has other names.
In the Western world, the scorching hot and rocky planet got its name from the Roman/Greek goddess of love and beauty.
Venus is the only celestial deity to be named after a female.
In the night sky, Venus shines the brightest.
Ancient astronomers only knew about the five planets observable to the naked eye. Many historians believe the Roman and Greek names (Aphrodite) for Venus came about because it shines so beautifully and brightly in the sky at night.
What does the phrase men are from Mars, women are from Venus mean?
Let’s just get this out of the way: men and women are both from Earth.
A popular saying in America is that men are from Mars and women are from Venus.
What does this saying mean?
The saying comes from a book with the same title by relationship counselor John Gray.
The basic premise behind the phrase is designed to highlight the perceived fundamental psychological differences between men and women.
The book details how each sex acclimates to different preferences, customs, and perceptions that can sometimes seem alien.
How do I see Venus in the night sky?
Venus shines bright.
She is like a beautiful jewel in the sky.
Some compare her to a necklace or bracelet because it is always permanently connected to the sun.
You always find Venus near the sky’s horizon and never mid-heaven.
The easiest way to Venus is just after sunset or just before sunrise.
To learn more, check out our Venus quotes below.
Short Venus quotes about life elsewhere
Check out these exciting quotes about the power of Venus.
1. “Venus favors the bold.” — Ovid
2. “But Venus merits scrutiny.” — Bettany Hughes
3. “Venus in Fur is very Polanski.” — Emmanuelle Seigner
4. “Venus has a runaway greenhouse effect.” — Neil deGrasse Tyson
5. “But today, the surface of Venus is dry as a bone.” — Bill Nye
6. “Earth might one day soon resemble the planet Venus.” — Stephen Hawking
7. “In Los Angeles, I feel like the ugly duckling, like I’m from Venus or something.” — Eva Green
8. “I’d like to remind you that studying Venus is vital to understanding life elsewhere.” — David Grinspoon
9. “We don’t know that Venus had oceans, but there’s every reason to believe it did.” — David Grinspoon
10. “When I was a child, I was certain that I could remember what it was like to live on Venus.” — Patti Smith
The top Venus quotes celebrating the beauty of the gods
The quotes celebrate all the reasons Venus is revered for her beauty.
11. “Venus had a perfect, timeless body.” — Michio Kaku
12. “The song Venus de Milo, the whole subject of it is Love is a drug.” — Tom Verlaine
13. “Adding sound to movies would be like putting lipstick on the Venus de Milo.” — Mary Pickford
14. “Venus, ancient goddess of love and beauty, is an apparently irrelevant, invented deity of the long dead.” — Bettany Hughes
15. “When archaeologists discover the missing arms of Venus de Milo, they will find she was wearing boxing gloves.” — John Barrymore
16. “I really don’t consider Kim Kardashian sexy. She’s like one of those primordial sculptures of fertility, like the Venus of Willendorf.” — Alessandro Michele
17. “Call [feminism] Aphrodite, or Venus, or bimbo, or whatever you want; the name doesn’t matter, as long as we understand what it is about, and we support it.” — Isabel Allende
18. “Throughout the ages, stories with certain basic themes have recurred over and over, in widely disparate cultures, emerging like the goddess Venus from the sea of our unconscious.” — Joan D. Vinge
19. “For an actress to be a success, she must have the face of a Venus, the brains of a Minerva, the grace of Terpsichore, the memory of a MaCaulay, the figure of Juno, and the hide of a rhinoceros.” — Ethel Barrymore
20. “You may name a bronze statue ‘Liberty,’ or a painted figure in a city hall ‘Commerce,’ or a marble form in a temple ‘Athene’ or ‘Venus;’ but what is really there is only a representation of a single woman.” — George Edward Woodberry
The best Venus quotes for science lovers
If you love the solar system, you will enjoy these Venus quotes.
21. “No one is going to live on Venus; no one is going to live on Jupiter.” — Buzz Aldrin
22. “Planets that don’t currently sport plate tectonics, such as Venus and Mars, are scarcely habitable.” — Seth Shostak
“The universe is hilarious! Like, Venus is 900 degrees. I could tell you it melts lead.” — Neil deGrasse Tyson
24. “Venus hasn’t been to the semis for a couple of years in a Grand Slam. She’s been coming back from injury.” — Tracy Austin
25. “There is good evidence that Venus once had liquid water and a much thinner atmosphere, similar to Earth billions of years ago.” — Bill Nye
26. “The great earthquake shall be in the month of May; Saturn, Capricorn, Jupiter, Mercury in Taurus; Venus, also Cancer, Mars in zero.” — Nostradamus
27. “Now, Venus is an extremely hostile environment, and as such presents a lot of challenges for a science fiction author who wants to create life there.” — Sarah Zettel
28. “That’s not as fun as saying, ‘You can cook a pizza on the windowsill in nine seconds.’ And next time my fans eat pizza, they’re thinking of Venus!” — Neil deGrasse Tyson
29. “There was a long history of people believing there was life on Venus. It was about the same size as Earth; It had clouds; It was commonly believed it was tropical – wet, hot, and steamy.” — David Grinspoon
30. “It will be a long time, if ever, before we get to study Earth-like planets orbiting around other stars, so really, the study of Venus and Mars is the best opportunity that we have, and can imagine having any time in the future, to understand the evolution of Earth-like planets.” — David Grinspoon
Famous Venus quotes about the past, present, and future
Check out these interesting quotes that reference the power of Venus.
31. “The Venus transit is not a spectacle the way a total solar eclipse is a spectacle.” — Neil deGrasse Tyson
32. “I’ll never be able to quantify how important ‘Venus’ was for me or my career. I ticked a huge box.” — Jodie Whittaker
33. “I don’t think it is an easy thing to write and expect to be commercial, even if you are from Venus and a hermaphrodite.” — A. S. Byatt
34. “Americans are from Mars, Europeans are from Venus: they agree on little and understand each other less and less.” — Robert Kagan
35. “I think we are all slightly down in the dumps after another loss. We may be in the wrong sign. Venus may be in the wrong juxtaposition with somewhere else.” — Ted Dexter
36. “Mars, when guilty of homicide, and set free from the charge of murder by the Athenians through favor, lest he should appear to be too fierce and savage, committed adultery with Venus.” — Lactantius
Variety of quotes about Venus
These quotes span a wide array of Venus topics.
37. “I did not want to write a story about the invasion of Earth, so I had to create a race capable of living nearby, which meant to either on the Moon, on Mars, or on Venus. I picked Venus.” — Sarah Zettel
38. “When their city was occupied by the Gauls, and the Romans, who were besieged in the Capitol, had made military engines from the hair of the women, they dedicated a temple to the Bald Venus.” — Lactantius
39. “The media will not admit that Trump’s America and Sanders’ America are as different as Venus and Mars: they represent a very polarized America with two different answers to the question, ‘Who are we?’” — Tom Tancredo
40. “So far as female beauty is concerned, the Circassian women have no superiors. They have preserved in their mountain home the purity of the Grecian models, and still display the perfect physical loveliness, whose type has descended to us in the Venus de Medici.” — Bayard Taylor
Venus quotes and sayings about the second planet in our solar system
Let us close out with these Venus quotes about the second planet from the sun.
41. “I have a lot of plants and fish and a pet lizard and Venus flytraps.” — Chris Pratt
42. “There’s a lot to do in space. I want to learn more about the greenhouse effect on Venus. — Neil deGrasse Tyson
43. “When you look at Venus and the Earth, they formed at about the same place in the solar system.” — Ellen Stofan
44. “Mid-’60s plans for a Venus fly-by with astronauts actually flying by it met the same fate.” — P. J. O’Rourke
45. “Almost all of the space program’s important advances in scientific knowledge have been accomplished by hundreds of robotic spacecraft in orbit about Earth and on missions to the distant planets Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, and Neptune.” — James Alfred Van Allen
46. “I can remember at the age of about six being fascinated by the planets and learning all about Mars and Venus and things.” — Richard Dawkins
47. “In days gone by, scientists would speak solemnly about our solar system’s ‘habitable zone’ – a theoretical region extending from Venus to Mars.” — Seth Shostak
48. “With the landing of the first spaceship on Mars and Venus, the childhood of our race was over, and history as we know it began…” — Arthur C. Clarke
49. “Counting stars by candlelight all are dim, but one is bright; the spiral light of Venus rising first and shining best, from the northwest corner of a brand-new crescent moon crickets and cicadas sing a rare and different tune.” — Robert Hunter
50. “Prior to Magellan, due to the fact that we knew it was so hot on Venus, we thought that the rocks at the surface would behave more plastically, more like Silly Putty.” — Ellen Stofan
Be like Venus and shine your light into the dark
Venus reminds us we can shine bright, even in the darkest conditions.
What is your favorite Venus quote?
Be sure to let us know in the comments section.