These Stephen Hawking quotes from one of the greatest scientists of all time are truly profound and inspirational.
During his lifetime, Hawking became an internationally acclaimed physicist, cosmologist, author, and occasional TV show guest star whose intelligent wit, humor, and outlook on life were awe-inspiring.
Despite being told at 21 that he had only nine more months to live, Stephen Hawking defied all odds and lived until 76.
For someone who was dealt tough cards at a young age, Stephen Hawking certainly played his hand well and proved to the world that your life can be anything you want to make it.
Below is our collection of inspiring Stephen Hawking quotes on the nature of life, science and religion, and the universe around us.
You will also enjoy our article on science quotes.
Stephen Hawking quotes about himself
Stephen Hawking has overcome many limitations in his life.
He’s a genius that changed the world, and everyone can learn something from his witty, wise words.
1. “I like physics, but I love cartoons.” — Stephen Hawking
2. “Life would be tragic if it weren’t funny.” — Stephen Hawking
3. “Eternity is a long time, especially towards the end.” — Stephen Hawking
4. “Just because I do a lot of thinking doesn’t mean I don’t like parties and getting into trouble.” — Stephen Hawking
5. “We each exist for but a short time, and in that time explore but a small part of the whole universe.” — Stephen Hawking
6. “I regard the afterlife to be a fairy story for people that are afraid of the dark.” — Stephen Hawking
7. “I have lived with the prospect of an early death for the last 49 years. I’m not afraid of death, but I’m in no hurry to die. I have so much I want to do first.” — Stephen Hawking
Funny Stephen Hawking quotes
Stephen Hawking is proof that scientists aren’t just smart, but they can also be hilarious.
8. “If time travel is possible, where are the tourists from the future?” — Stephen Hawking
9. “I wouldn’t compare [scientific discoveries] to sex, but it lasts longer.” — Stephen Hawking
10. “The idea of 10 dimensions might sound exciting, but they would cause real problems if you forget where you parked your car.” — Stephen Hawking
11. “We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special.” – Stephen Hawking
Stephen Hawking quotes on life and science
A truly brilliant man, Stephen excelled in science, math, and astrology.
It was obvious that Hawking was a genius destined to change the world.
12. “Science can lift people out of poverty and cure disease.” — Stephen Hawking
13. “Science is not only a disciple of reason but also one of romance and passion.” — Stephen Hawking
14. “God may exist, but science can explain the universe without the need for a creator.” — Stephen Hawking
15. “Science is increasingly answering questions that used to be the province of religion.” — Stephen Hawking
16. “Scientists have become the bearers of the torch of discovery in our quest for knowledge.” — Stephen Hawking
17. “We have this one life to appreciate the grand design of the universe and for that, I am extremely grateful.” — Stephen Hawking
18. “What I have done is to show that it is possible for the way the universe began to be determined by the laws of science.” — Stephen Hawking
19. “If aliens ever visit us, I think the outcome would be much as when Christopher Columbus first landed in America, which didn’t turn out very well for the Native Americans.” — Stephen Hawking
21. “There is a fundamental difference between religion, which is based on authority, and science, which is based on observation and reason. Science will win because it works.” — Stephen Hawking
21. “Most of the threats we face come from the progress we’ve made in science and technology. We are not going to stop making progress, or reverse it, so we must recognize the dangers and control them.” — Stephen Hawking
Stephen Hawking quotes that will motivate you
As someone who overcame incredible hurdles, Stephen Hawking has lots of great motivational advice.
22. “One is always a long way from solving a problem until one actually has the answer.” — Stephen Hawking
23. “However difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do, and succeed at. It matters that you don’t just give up.” — Stephen Hawking
24. “One, remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Two, never give up work. Work gives you meaning, and purpose and life is empty without it. Three, if you are lucky enough to find love, remember it is there and don’t throw it away.” — Stephen Hawking
25. “Black holes ain’t as black as they are painted. They are not the eternal prisons they were once thought. Things can get out of a black hole both on the outside and possibly to another universe. So, if you feel you are in a black hole, don’t give up—there’s a way out.” — Stephen Hawking
Which of these quotes inspired you most?
Hopefully, these Stephen Hawking quotes inspire you to not only look up at the stars but to reach for them, too.
Stephen Hawking proved that no matter what curve balls life may throw at you, you can still accomplish your dreams if you are determined to really go for them.
He rocked the world of physics when he discovered that, contrary to Einstein’s theory, black holes are not really black voids, but that a way out does exist.
So, if there is a way out of a black void in the depths of space, there must also be a solution to any challenge we face.
Though he may be gone, luckily, we still have these Stephen Hawking quotes to remind us what he learned about life, science, and the universe.
You might also like these galaxy quotes.
What’s your biggest takeaway from these Stephen Hawking quotes and sayings?
Which one inspired or motivated you the most?
Let us know in the comment section below, we would love to hear from you!