Check out these Walter Payton quotes from one of the best running backs of all time!
Walter Payton was born in Columbia, Mississippi, in 1953 and died in South Barrington, Illinois, in 1999 at the young age of 46.
Payton grew up in Mississippi and played multiple sports.
He was in the school band, but once his older brother graduated, he started playing football, and a star was born.
Although he starred in high school, he was not offered a scholarship from any of the teams in the Southeastern Conference and attended the historically black school Jackson State University instead.
Payton would prove his skills at the college level, and after earning his famous nickname of “Sweetness,” he was drafted as the fourth pick by the Chicago Bears in 1975.
Take a look at these Walter Payton quotes to learn more about this star running back.
Best Walter Payton Quotes
Enjoy some of the best quotes from running back Walter Payton.
1. “Never die easy.” — Walter Payton
2. “Money isn’t everything.” — Walter Payton
3. “Work hard or don’t work at all.” — Walter Payton
4. “Running alone is the toughest.” — Walter Payton
5. “If you start something, you shouldn’t quit.” — Walter Payton
6. “You have to take things one day at a time.” — Walter Payton
7. “We are stronger together than we are alone.” — Walter Payton
8. “Remember, tomorrow is promised to no one.” — Walter Payton
9. “God’s been very good to me. I’m truly blessed.” — Walter Payton
10. “If you’re going to play, you might as well play to be your best.” — Walter Payton
Walter Payton Quotes to Inspire You
Check out these inspirational quotes from the famous football player.
11. “I don’t have to jump up and smile just because TV wants me to.” — Walter Payton
12. “It’s okay to lose, to die, but don’t die without trying, without giving it your best.” — Walter Payton
13. “I want to be remembered as the guy who gave his all whenever he was on the field.” — Walter Payton
14. “If you could go back and change things, you might not be the person you are right now.” — Walter Payton
15. “You work as hard as you can for as long as you can, and the small gains you make will eventually pay off.” — Walter Payton
16. “Most important thought, if you love someone, tell him or her, for you never know what tomorrow may have in store.” — Walter Payton
17. “I am happy to say that everyone that I have met in my life, I have gained something from them; be it negative or positive.” — Walter Payton
Iconic Walter Payton Quotes
Throughout his life, Payton had many iconic things to say, as shown in these quotes.
18. “If you ask me how I want to be remembered, it is as a winner.” — Walter Payton
19. “I try to run on the hottest days, at the hottest time, because that’s the most difficult time.” — Walter Payton
20. “When you’re good at something, you’ll tell everyone. When you’re great at something, they’ll tell you.” — Walter Payton
21. “All people, regardless of whether they’re athletes or not, should treat people the way they want to be treated.” — Walter Payton
22. “If I’m going to get hit, why let the guy who’s going to hit me get the easiest and best shot? I explode into the guy who’s trying to tackle me.” — Walter Payton
23. “Children have always brought a tremendous amount of joy to me and I feel that if you can catch them at a young age you can really change a life.” — Walter Payton
24. “A winner is somebody who has given his best effort, who has tried the hardest they possibly can, who has utilized every ounce of energy and strength within them.” — Walter Payton
25. “There are a lot of studies that show that one act of kindness to these children has a 40% chance of making that child have a completely different outcome in their life.” — Walter Payton
Walter Payton’s NFL Career
Payton played in the NFL for 12 years and became, at that time, the all-time leading rusher in NFL history.
He helped the Bears win Super Bowl XX and was a five-time first-team All-Pro before retiring and being inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame.
Please share these Walter Payton quotes with others by clicking the share button!