We’ve gathered an awesome collection of running quotes that will keep you fueled with each step you take, no matter how short or far.
Running is a beloved hobby of many people all across the globe.
Tell us which of these running quotes is your favorite in the comment section below.
You may also enjoy our article on:
What Are The Benefits Of Reading These Running Quotes?
Thinking about becoming a runner but wondering why you should start?
There are many reasons you should fall in love with running.
These quotes about running are intended:
- To keep you moving forward
- Keep you from looking back unless it’s only to see how far you’ve come
- Help you see how running and life are similar
- Offer you a new perspective
Running is one of the best ways to boost your physical and mental health.
It helps just about all aspects of your health, provides an outlet for stress relief, and improves your mood and overall happiness.
Besides being good for your health, running is also a great physical activity that provides a bridge to make some new friends and build strong relationships.
Running is also a great way to set a goal and crush it.
If you need some purpose in your life, now’s the time to lace up and work towards your goal.
Also, running is free.
You can run anywhere, and it’s one of those exercises that don’t need any special equipment or a gym to get started.
So what are you waiting for?
Here are some inspirational, energizing, and motivating running quotes, running sayings, and running proverbs to get you moving.
Check out our most popular quote article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily inspiration.
Explore our complete collection of motivational quotes here.
Running Quotes To Motivate You To Stay Active
1. “I don’t run to add days to my life, I run to add life to my days.” – Ronald Rook
2. “After all, if you run far enough, no one can catch you.” ― V.E. Schwab
You will also enjoy our article on challenge quotes.
3. “Don’t fear moving slowly forward…fear standing still.” – Kathleen Harris
You will also enjoy our article on comeback quotes.
4. “Get going … walk if you have to, but finish the damned race.” – Ron Hill
You will also enjoy our article on Sunday quotes.
5. “Run like hell and get the agony over with.” – Clarence DeMar
6. “The miracle isn’t that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start.” – John Bingham
7. “You must do the thing you think you cannot do.”— Eleanor Roosevelt
8. “Don’t dream of winning, train for it!” — Mo Farah
You will also enjoy our article on graduation quotes.
9. “Running allows me to set my mind free. Nothing seems impossible. Nothing unattainable.” — Kara Goucher
10. “I’ll be happy if running and I can grow old together.” – Haruki Murakami
If you’re enjoying these quotes, you’ll love our explore quotes about nature, wander and new experiences.
Running Quotes To Keep You Inspired
11. “If it doesn’t challenge you, it won’t change you.” – Fred DeVito
12. “The pain of running relieves the pain of living.” – Jacqueline Simon Gunn
13. “The man who moves a mountain begins by carrying away small stones.” – Confucius
14. “Someone who is busier than you is running right now.” – Nike
15. “Running is the greatest metaphor for life, because you get out of it what you put into it.”— Oprah Winfrey
16. “If you start dreaming you are not running fast enough.”― Jacob Vermeire
17. “If you don’t have answers to your problems after a four-hour run, you ain’t getting them.” – Christopher McDougall
18. “Ask yourself: “Can I give more?” The answer is usually: “Yes.” – Paul Tergat
You will also enjoy our article on leg day quotes.
19. “Running is about finding your inner peace, and so is a life well lived.” ― Dean Karnazes
You will also enjoy our article on Fitness Motivational Quotes.
20. “Run when you can, walk if you have to, crawl if you must; just never give up.” – Dean Karnazes
If you enjoy this article, check out our collection of Olympic quotes honoring competition.
Related: Good Morning Texts For Her
Running Quotes To Motivate You For Your Next Run
21. “Only those who risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go.”— T.S. Elliot
You will also enjoy our article on weekend quotes.
22. “Run often. Run long. But never outrun your joy of running.” —Julie Isphording
You will also enjoy our article on quotes about comparison.
23. “The freedom of Cross Country is so primitive. It’s woman vs. nature.” ― Lynn Jennings
Check out more cross-country quotes like one!
24. “Good things come slow, especially in distance running.” – Bill Dellinger
You will also enjoy our article on Stoic quotes.
25. “It’s at the borders of pain and suffering that the men are separated from the boys.” – Emil Zatopek
You will also enjoy our article on gym quotes.
26. “I’m not telling you it’s going to be easy… I’m telling you it’s going to be worth it.” – Art Williams
You will also enjoy our article on Training Day quotes.
27. “Running is real and relatively simple… but it ain’t easy.” – Mark Will-Weber
You will also enjoy our article on Saturday quotes.
28. “We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.” – Aristotle
You will also enjoy our article on Don Kardong quotes!
29. “Running is my private time, my therapy, my religion.” – Gail W. Kislevitz
30. “Long-distance running is 90 percent mental and the other half is physical.” – Rich Davis
Running Quotes To Help Get You Moving
31. “We all have dreams. But in order to make dreams come into reality, it takes an awful lot of determination, dedication, self-discipline, and effort.”— Jesse Owens
32. “There’s not one body type that equates to success. Accept the body you have and be the best you can be with it.” – Mary Cullen
33. “If you run, you are a runner. It doesn’t matter how fast or how far. It doesn’t matter if today is your first day or if you’ve been running for twenty years. There is no test to pass, no license to earn, no membership card to get. You just run.” – John Bingham
34. “Running is alone time that lets my brain unspool the tangles that build up over days…I run, pound it out on the pavement, channel that energy into my legs, and when I’m done with my run, I’m done with it.” — Rob Haneisen
35. “Never underestimate the power that one good workout can have on your mind. Keeping the dream alive is half the battle.” – Kara Goucher
36. “Life equals running and when we stop running maybe that’s how we’ll know life is finally finished.” – Patrick Ness
38. “Doesn’t matter how fast you cross the finish line if you’re running the wrong race.”― Richie Norton
39. “As every runner knows, running is about more than just putting one foot in front of the other; it is about our lifestyle and who we are.” – Joan Benoit Samuelson
40. “We run when we’re scared, we run when we’re ecstatic, we run away from our problems and run around for a good time.” ― Christopher McDougall
You will also enjoy our article on road quotes.
Running Quotes To Keep You Going
41. “The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare.”— Juma Ikangaa
42. “I can run at pace of my breath.”― Lailah Gifty Akita
43. “If you are losing faith in human nature, go out and watch a marathon.” – Kathrine Switzer
44. “You would run much slower if you were dragging something behind you, like a knapsack or a sheriff.” ― Lemony Snicket
45. “The reason we race isn’t so much to beat each other,… but to be with each other.” – Christopher McDougall
46. “Today, I run for pure, absolute joy.”― Lopez Lomong
47. “I run because long after my footprints fade away, maybe I will have inspired a few to reject the easy path, hit the trails, put one foot in front of the other, and come to the same conclusion I did: I run because it always takes me where I want to go.” – Dean Karnazes
48. “The marathon can humble you.” – Bill Rodgers
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of humble quotes about the benefits of humility.
49. “The real purpose of running isn’t to win a race. It’s to test the limits of the human heart.” – Bill Bowerman
50. “The obsession with running is really an obsession with the potential for more and more life.” – George Sheehan
You will also enjoy our article on discipline quotes.
Running Quotes To Keep You Positive
51. “I’ve learned that it’s what you do with the miles, rather than how many you’ve run” – Rod DeHaven
52. “Remember, the feeling you get from a good run is far better than the feeling you get from sitting around wishing you were running.” – Sarah Condor
53. “Fast running isn’t forced. You have to relax and let the run come out of you.” – Desiree Linden
54. “A runner must run with dreams in his heart.” – Emil Zatopek
55. “Running is a thing worth doing not because of the future rewards it bestows, but because of how it feeds our bodies and minds and souls in the present.” – Kevin Nelson
56. “He taught me to run high on my toes. I will always remember his words: run proud & remember you are alive.”― Brian Andreas
57. “It’s not so much that I began to run, but that I continued.” – Hal Higdon
58. “Go fast enough to get there, but slow enough to see.” – Jimmy Buffett
59. “Running is a road to self-awareness and reliance-you can push yourself to extremes and learn the harsh reality of your physical and mental limitations or coast quietly down a solitary path watching the earth spin beneath your feet.” – Doris Brown Heritage
60. “Running became the one event in my daily life that I looked forward to. Books and movies paled in comparison to the refuge of my feet slapping patiently in the fresh morning air” – Kate Kinsey
Don’t forget to also check out these water quotes that will get you thinking.
Running Quotes To Keep You Motivated
61. “My feeling is that any day I am too busy to run is a day that I am too busy.” – John Bryant
62. “Why race? The need to be tested, perhaps; the need to take risks; and the chance to be number one.”—George Sheehan
63. “You have a choice. You can throw in the towel, or you can use it to wipe the sweat off of your face.” – Gatorade
64. “I’m always nervous. If I wasn’t nervous, it would be weird. I get the same feeling at all the big races. It’s part of the routine, and I accept it. It means I’m there and I’m ready.”—Allyson Felix
65. “It was being a runner that mattered, not how fast or how far I could run. The joy was in the act of running and in the journey, not in the destination.” – John Bingham
66. “Different people have different reasons for racing, but one is simply the incentive to get out and run, increase mileage and feel good.”—Hal Higdon
67. “Runners don’t quit. We fade; we “hit the wall”; we’re sometimes reduced to a walk. But we keep on.”― Amby Burfoot
68. “I’ve given myself a thousand reasons to keep running, but it always comes back to self-satisfaction.” – Steve Prefontaine
69. “If you want to become the best runner you can be, start now. Don’t spend the rest of your life wondering if you can do it.” – Priscilla Welch
70. “Everyone in life is looking for a certain rush. Racing is where I get mine.” — John Trautmann
Running Quotes That Will Change The Way You Think
71. “There are clubs you can’t belong to, neighbors you can’t live in, schools you can’t get into, but the roads are always open.” – NIKE
72. “Running is a simple activity. Just lace up your shoes and go, one step at a time, like each breath.”― Adharanand Finn
73. “Running is that big question mark that’s there each and every day. It asks, are you going to be a wimp or are you going to be strong today.” – Peter Maher
74. “Not all races are run on a track. And not all finish lines are marked by ticker tape.”― Toni Sorenson
75. “I often hear someone say I’m not a real runner. We are all runners, some just run faster than others. I never met a fake runner.” – Bart Yasso
76. “Running is in my blood—the adrenaline flows before the races, the love/hate of butterflies in your stomach.”—Marcus O’Sullivan
77. “A lot of people run a race to see who’s the fastest. I run to see who has the most guts.” – Steve Prefontaine
78. “No matter how old I get, the race remains one of life’s most rewarding experiences.”—George Sheehan
79. “If you don’t think you were born to run you’re not only denying history. You’re denying who you are.” – Christopher McDougall
80. “You cannot propel yourself forward by patting yourself on the back.”—Steve Prefontaine
You Might Also Like: 7 Reasons To Go Jogging Even When You Are Busy
Running Quotes To Inspire And Motivate
81. “Two joggers passed, shoes cheerfully slapping against the pavement.”― Sara Shepard
82. “When you run, the road belongs to you.”― Toni Sorenson
83. “Running is flying intermittently.”― Alain Bremond-Torrent
84. “Every race proves a new opportunity to educate myself about what it means to be a runner and what it means to run.”― Jill Grunenwald
85. “Running is the movement of a free human being. It doesn’t demand any special premises or machines. You only need to put on your shoes and get going. Let the blood circulate. Then everything becomes much clearer.”― Markus Torgeby
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of movement quotes for fitness inspiration.
86. “Run! Life’s too short to walk. Unless you don’t know where you’re running to, then move very slowly.”― Neil A. Hogan
87. “I started running to escape the memories that drinking couldn’t cover up”― Dean Karnazes
88. “You can alter mood by running.”― Tumpal Sihombing
89. “Running is alone time that lets my brain unspool the tangles that build up over days” – Bob Hneisen
90. “Running strengthens self-motivation.”― Tumpal Sihombing
Other Motivational Running Quotes
91. “Running … led to a deep happiness that only comes from doing what you love, what your soul screams at you to do upon waking each day.”― S.F. Hick
If you’re enjoying these quotes, you’ll love our collection of short motivational quotes that will get you ready to tackle the day.
92. “Running is therapy anyone can afford.”― Toni Sorenson
93. “Running is a form of practiced stoicism. It means teaching your brain and body to be biochemically comfortable in a state of disrepair.”― Matthew Inman
94. “Children run everywhere for a reason–it’s fun. Grown-ups can forget that sometimes.”― Jim Butcher
95. “Those who never run long distance or meditate in their lifetimes, miss out on the best free drugs the planet has to offer.”― Robert Black
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of drug quotes on how drug use can affect your mind, body, and spirit.
96. “When you feel life’s slow, run !”― Tumpal Sihombing
97. “Shut up and run.”― Matthew Inman
98. “When you run, every step you take leaves your weaker self behind and brings you one step closer to the strongest person you can be.”― Toni Sorenson
99. “Your body is made to move so move it.”― Toni Sorenson
100. “Running is an effort to escape from comfort zone.”― Tumpal Sihombing
More Running Quotes And Sayings
101. “Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.” – Haruki Murakami
102. “If you build the guts to do something, anything, then you better save enough to face the consequences.” – Criss Jami
103. “The sharpest minds often ruin their lives by overthinking the next step, while the dull win the race with eyes closed.” – Bethany Brookbank
104. “I’m alone, but I’m not lonely. I like who I am. I like who I’m becoming.” – Deena Kastor
105. “Running away from someone you love is a race you will never win.” – Matshona Dhliwayo
106. “The only way for you to keep your mind straight is to run from those who would confuse you.” – Kristin Cashore
107. “Running ain’t no bad thing. Leastways if you run in the right direction.” – Mark Lawrence
108. “My past is trying to catch up to me and I must continue to run from it. It’s the only way I can live.” – Nicole Sobon
109. “Love is not running away or giving up, it is standing and fighting for every moment.” – M.F. Moonzajer
110. “Tension, in the long run, is a more dangerous force than any feud known to man.” – Criss Jami
Running Quotes From Celebrities And Famous Runners
111. “I always run without music. – Christy Turlington
112. “Running is great for your body. It will increase your energy levels and helps you to clear your mind.” – Heidi Klum
113. “Run for fun. Run for exercise. Run for a better life.”― Toni Sorenson
114. “I run when I need my head cleared,” – Emily Blunt
115. “Now I really enjoy running,” – Bear Grylls
116. “I go for a three-mile run every morning,” – Victoria Beckham
117. “Every day is a good day when you run.”― Kevin Nelson
118. “Running has taught me, perhaps more than anything else, that there’s no reason to fear starting lines—or other new beginnings.” – Amby Burfoot
119. “Running is the basis of all the training that I do—it’s like an escape.” – Ellie Goulding
120. “I run until time stops. Until my mind stops.”― Jennifer Niven
Running Quotes To Keep You On Track
121. “A race is a work of art that people can look at and be affected in as many ways they’re capable of understanding.”
122. “Mental will is a muscle that needs exercise, just like the muscles of the body.” – Lynn Jennings
123. “Then, I started running. And everything was as good as it could be.”― Stephen Chbosky
124. “A runner’s high doesn’t come from thinking about the end result, only of the moment, one step, one breath, one heartbeat at a time.”― C.J. Heck
125. “Running is a mental sport, more than anything else. You’re only as good as your training, and your training is only as good as your thinking.”― Lauren Oliver
126. “It is a rough road that leads to the heights of greatness.” – Seneca
127. “Do a little more each day than you think you possibly can.” – Lowell Thomas
128.“Running would help with the weight, but the weight did not help with running.”― Alexandra Heminsley
129. “Running is a hard, simple calculus: Run until you can’t run anymore. Then run some more. Find a new source of energy and will. Then run even faster.”― Scott Jurek
130. “You can’t be miserable when you’re running. It’s such a simple and pure way to feel alive.”― Veronica Rossi
Running Quotes To Keep You Moving
131. “The long run is what puts the tiger in the cat.” – Bill Squires
132. “Running is the classical road to self-consciousness, self-awareness, and self-reliance.” – Noel Carroll
133. “Act like a horse. Be dumb. Just run.” – Jumbo Elliot
134. “Life is complicated. Running is simple. Is it any wonder that people like to run?” – Kevin Nelson
135. “As we run, we become.” – Amby Burfoot
136. “When you cross the finish line, no matter how slow or fast, it will change your life forever.” – Dick Beardsley
137. “We all know that if you run, you are pretty much choosing a life of success because of it.” – Deena Kastor
138. “I was born to be a runner. I simply love to run. It’s almost like the faster I go, the easier it becomes.” – Mary Decker Slaney
139. “I always thought of running as just dancing forward.” – Tom Hiddleston
140. “It’s a treat being a runner, out in the world by yourself with not a soul to make you bad-tempered or tell you what to do.” – Alan Sillitoe
Awesome Running Quotes
141. “I always say if the marathon is a part-time interest, you will only get part-time results.” – Bill Rodgers
142. “Why do people run the marathon?” — Fred Lebow
143. “You have to forget your last marathon before you try another. Your mind can’t know what’s coming.” – Frank Shorter
144. “My thoughts before a big race are usually pretty simple. I tell myself: “Get out of the blocks, run your race, stay relaxed. If you run your race, you’ll win… channel your energy. Focus.” – Carl Lewis
145. “In running, it doesn’t matter whether you come in first, in the middle of the pack, or last. You can say, ‘I have finished.’ There is a lot of satisfaction in that.” – Fred Lebow
146. “For an athlete, the biggest pressure comes from within. You know what you want to do and what you’re capable of.” – Paula Radcliffe
147. “Marathons are extraordinarily difficult, but if you’ve got the training under your belt, and if you can run smart, the races take care of themselves.” — Deena Kastor
148. “Out on the roads, there is fitness and self-discovery and the persons we were destined to be.” – George Sheehan
149. “If you want to run, then run a mile. If you want to experience another life, run a marathon.” – Emil Zatopek
150. “Run hard when it’s hard to run.” – Pavvo
Running Quotes To Motivate You
151. “If you have a body, you are an athlete.” — Bill Bowerman
152. “I go running when I have to. When the ice cream truck is doing sixty.” — Wendy Liebman
153. “Just running the streets was absolutely everything and more than I possibly expected.” — Jennie Finch
154. “Step one to running a marathon: You run. There is no step two.” — Barney Stinson
155. “I run every day. It’s like medicine.” — Jennifer Carpenter
156. “Running is a lot like life. Only 10 percent of it is exciting. 90 percent of it is slog and drudge.” — Dave Bedford
157. “I love running cross country. On a track, I feel like a hamster.” — Robin Williams
158. “There are many challenges to long-distance running, but one of the greatest is the question of where to put one’s house keys.” — Gabrielle Zevin
159. “There is magic in misery. Just ask any runner.” — Dean Karnazes
160. “If you’ve never had a bad day running, you’re probably doing something wrong. If you’ve never had a good day running, you’re definitely doing something wrong.”— Mark Remy
Running Quotes To Help You Relax Your Mind
161. “It is better, I think, to begin easily and get your running to be smooth and relaxed and then to go faster and faster.” ― Henry Rono
162. “Running is one the best solutions to a clear mind.” ― Sasha Azevedo
163. “Running has never failed to give me great end results, and that’s why I keep coming back for more!” ― Sasha Azevedo
164. “I always loved running…. It was something you could do by yourself and under your own power.” ― Jesse Owens
165. “We may train or peak for a certain race, but running is a lifetime sport.” ― Alberto Salazar
166. “For me, running is a lifestyle and an art. I’m more interested in the magic of it than the mechanics.” ― Lorraine Moller
167. “Anyone can run 20 miles. It’s the next six that count.” ― Barry Magee
168. “My doctor told me that jogging could add years to my life. I think he was right. I feel ten years older already.” ― Milton Berle
169. “Running has taken me in, and continues to comfort, heal and challenge me in all kinds of magical ways. I am not a ‘good runner’ because I am me. I am a good ‘me’ because I am a runner.” ― Kristin Armstrong
170. “Running makes you an athlete in all areas of life…trained in the basics, prepared for whatever comes, ready to fill each hour and deal with the decisive moment.” ― George A. Sheehan
Running Quotes To Give Your Mind Focus
171. “Mindful running is the medicine which throws out all the negativity from mind and body.” — Invajy
172. “Long distance running is 90 percent mental and the other half is physical.” — Rich Davis
173. “Sometimes a slight pace change is all you need to snap out of a mental or pyhsical funk.” — Mark Plaatjes
174. “Success does not come to the most righteous and rigorously disciplined but to those who continue running.” — Amby Burfoot
175. “Every day gives you an opportunity to improve. With every run, you can try to be better. Not just a better runner, but a better person.” — John Bingham
176. “I always tell beginning runners: Train your brain first. It’s much more important than your heart or legs.” — Amby Burfoot
177. “I succeed on my own personal motivation, dedication, and commitment. My mindset is: If I’m not out there training, someone else is.” — Lynn Jennings
178. “Stay in the race. Keep running. Keep walking. Keep praying. The Lord will renew your strength.” — Jeffrey R. Holland
179. “Running gave me a focus to start looking after myself, to eat properly, and focus on building up my strength.” — Amanda Burton
180. “Once I’m awake, I’m awake, which helps when you have to run in the mornings.” — Kai Ryssdal
Running Quotes To Help Clear Your Mind
181. “Running is my meditation, mind flush, cosmic telephone, mood elevator and spiritual communion.” — Lorraine Moller
182. “Running helps me stay on an even keel and in an optimistic frame of mind.” — William J. Clinton
183. “Engage in tasks and hobbies that bring you joy, like reading a book or going for a run.” — Jeff Gunn
184. “Run in places you love with people you like. Enjoying your surroundings and training partners will strengthen your commitment to running and bring out the best in you.” — Deena Kastor
185. “It is impossible to win the race unless you venture to run, impossible to win the victory unless you dare to battle.” — Richard DeVos
186. “If you train your mind for running, everything else will be easy.” — Amby Burfoot
187. “Running well is a matter of having the patience to persevere when we are tired and not expecting instant results.” — Robert de Castella
188. “I still bother with runners I call hamburgers. They’re never going to run any record times. But they can fulfill their own potential.” — Bill Bowerman
189. “The greatest stimulator of my running career was fear.” — Herb Elliott
190. “Running gives me confidence.” — Steve Prefontaine
Running Quotes To Keep You In Shape
191. “Number one is just to gain a passion for running. To love the morning, to love the trail, to love the pace on the track. And if some kid gets really good at it, that’s cool too.” ― Pat Tyson
192. “We are different, in essence, from other men. If you want to win something, run 100 meters. If you want to experience something, run a marathon.” ― Emil Zatopek
193. “That’s the thing about running: your greatest runs are rarely measured by racing success. They are moments in time when running allows you to see how wonderful your life is.” — Kara Goucher
194. “Our running shoes have magic in them. The power to transform a bad day into a good day; frustration into speed; self-doubt into confidence; chocolate cake into muscle.” — Mina Samuels
195. “I am a running joke. Waking up at 4:30 am and jogging anywhere from 11 to 23 miles has been nothing short of horrifying.” — Ryan Reynolds
196. “Jogging is very beneficial. It’s good for your legs and your feet. It’s also very good for the ground. It makes it feel needed.” ― Charles M. Schultz
197. “I choose the things that I want to do, and they all revolve around one thing: food. Even my running has to do with food. I run to stay in shape so I can eat what I want.” — Bobby Flay
198. “Running a marathon is not a question of whether it will be painful, but when it will be painful. It does help to have a sense of humor, but I’m also respectful of the race.” — Will Ferrell
199. “Coming back to running after a few weeks off is really tough. It’s humbling. Nothing wrong with a large dose of humility.” — Davina McCall
200. “It’s an acquired skill, being able to discuss your love life, children, and friends, all while you’re running! But we have mastered it.” — Reese Witherspoon
Running Quotes For A Fun Adventure
201. “A runners creed I will win; if I cannot win, I shall be second if I cannot be second, I shall be third if I cannot place at all, I shall still do my best.” ― Ken Doherty
202. “There is something magical about running; after a certain distance, it transcends the body. Then a bit further, it transcends the mind. A bit further yet, and what you have before you, laid bare, is the soul.” ― Kristin Armstrong
203. “Run hard, be strong, think big.” ― Percy Cerutty
204. “My feet have several thousand meetings scheduled with the dirt on a trail not far from here. Who am I to keep them waiting? Time to run.” ― Jeb Dickerson
205. “Most runners run not because they want to live longer, but because they want to live life to the fullest.” ― Haruki Murakami
206. “Experience has taught me how important it is to just keep going, focusing on running fast and relaxed. Eventually pain passes and the flow returns. It’s part of racing.” ― Frank Shorter
207. “Running strips life back to the bare essentials. When we challenge ourselves, it breaks down barriers. It brings us back to our essence and peels away the layers of ego we surround ourselves with.” ― Grahak Cunningham
208. “If you run into a wall, don’t turn around and give up. Figure out how to climb it.” ― Michael Jordan
209. “Most people run a race to see who is fastest. I run a race to see who has the most guts.” ― Steve Prefontaine
210. “Ask nothing from your running, in other words, and you’ll get more than you ever imagined.” ― Christopher McDougall
Inspiring Running Quotes By Eliud Kipchoge
211. “Athletics is not so much about the legs. It’s about the heart and mind.” — Eliud Kipchoge.
212. “Only the disciplined ones in life are free. If you are undisciplined, you are a slave to your moods and your passions.” — Eliud Kipchoge.
213. “When I was young I would run for fun, and I didn’t know back then that this would be my career.” — Eliud Kipchoge.
214. “If athletes can go near their fans, many people would develop a love for running.” — Eliud Kipchoge.
215. “It’s still my legs that are doing the running, not the shoe.” — Eliud Kipchoge.
216. “I want to go down in history as the best marathon runner, and for future generations, I want to be a Role Model as a runner as well as a person.” — Eliud Kipchoge.
217. “I started running because my neighbor, Patrick Sang, was an athlete, and I wanted to be just like him.” — Eliud Kipchoge.
218. “To me, running is life. I run to live longer and enjoy a healthier life.” — Eliud Kipchoge.
219. “To run alone is not sport. To run with others is sport.” — Eliud Kipchoge.
220. “I am running to make history, to show that no human is limited.” — Eliud Kipchoge.
Running Quotes To Inspire Marathoners
221. I have to change a lot of things before I become a good marathon runner. — Haile Gebrselassie
222. “Running 26 miles is a feat that truly stretches a human being.” — George Sheehan
223. . “Every jogger can’t dream of being an Olympic champion, but he can dream of finishing a marathon.” — Fred Lebow
224. “You should run your first marathon for the right reasons, because you’ll never be the same person again. You must want to do it, not do it because your boss did it or your spouse did it.” — Bill Wenmark
225. “The key to running a good marathon is to not listen to anyone’s advice the last week before the race. That’s when people tend to do stupid things that disrupt all the input and training of the previous months.” — Don Kardong
226. “A marathoner is a marathoner regardless of time. Virtually everyone who tries the marathon has put in training over months, and it is that exercise and that commitment, physical and mental, that gives meaning to the medal, not just the day’s effort, be it fast or slow. It’s all in conquering the challenge.” — Mary R. Wittenberg
227. “Like the marathon, life can sometimes be difficult, challenging and present obstacles however, if you believe in your dreams and never ever give up, things will turn out for the best.” — Meb Keflezighi
228. “There are times when you run a marathon and you wonder, Why am I doing this? But you take a drink of water, and around the next bend, you get your wind back, remember the finish line, and keep going.” — Steve Jobs
229. “There are no shortcuts in marathoning, so anyone who is a marathoner has worked hard.” — Jeffrey Horowitz
230. “In the first half of the race, don’t be an idiot. In the second half, don’t be a wimp!” — Scott Douglas
Running Quotes To Fuel Your Passion
231. “I’m instinctive. I’m still learning how to run the ball. What I’ve done may look good to everyone else, but I know I’m capable of more than I’ve shown.” ― Clinton Portis
232. “I’ve been given an opportunity right now and I’m going to run through a wall to try to take advantage of it.” ― Scott Rolen
233. “I’ve always been a streaky hitter. For the most part, when my home runs come, they come in bunches.” ― Adrian Gonzalez
234. “I’d rather save a home run than hit one. I’ve always been like that. Defense is what I pride myself on.” ― Torii Hunter
235. “Running after balls, diving, taking a home run away, it gives me such a good feeling. I am happy to do it.” ― Carlos Beltran
236. “Find a way to enjoy parts of every run. Most of your runs should be mostly enjoyable.” ― Jeff Galloway
237. “Run when I can, walk when I cannot run, and creep when I cannot walk.” ― John Bunyan
238. “I run because it’s my passion, and not just a sport.” ― Sasha Azevedo
239. “You don’t need anything but your own two legs to run. You don’t even need shoes, according to some people.” ― Marc Parent
240. “A good run adds a little bounce to my step. I get a certain amount of self-esteem from it.” ― George W. Bush
Running Quotes For Every Mile
241. “Living life is like running a marathon. It takes a lot of courage and tenacity to keep going till the end.” ― Fauja Singh
242. “Running Makes you more spiritually aware and in tune with your inner-self.” ― Fauja Singh
243. “Running has made my life worthwhile. I used to be more dead than alive after the personal tragedy in my life.” ― Fauja Singh
244. “The moment I fell in love with running, I started forgetting my grief and traumas.” ― Fauja Singh
245. “Run as much miles as I did and you’ll learn the secret of running, but I can’t guarantee you’ll win in Olympics.” ― Lasse Viren
246. “Find a way to enjoy parts of every run. Most of your runs should be mostly enjoyable.” ― Jeff Galloway
247. “Run when I can, walk when I cannot run, and creep when I cannot walk.” ― John Bunyan
248. “I’m running on adrenalin when we’re shooting. It’s non-stop. As soon as I have time to sit down, then I fall asleep.” ― Tatiana Maslany
249. “I like to take a shot with things. I like to take risks. I’m attracted to things that are different than the average run-of-the-mill stuff.” ― Jason O’Mara
250. “I feel a lot of life in me and a lot of creative energy and I think it’s better suited somewhere it can run free.” ― Jenny Slate
Running Quotes To Inspire You To Stay In The Race
251.“When a man’s running, he seldom looks back.” ― Brenda Sutton Rose
252. “Running is a brutal and emotional sport. It’s also a simple, primal sport. As humans, on a most basic level, we get hungry, we sleep, we yearn for love, we run.” ― Adharanand Finn
253. “My mother always said – “Never run after a man or a bus – there is always another one coming.” ― Tessa Kiros
254. “It was in their friendship they just wanted to run forever, shadow and shadow.” ― Ray Bradbury
255. “You need songs that make you feel. Some make you string, some make you weak. Some build determination, some tear you apart. But you need all of those…Run through the pain.” ― Jessica Park
256. “I always pushed myself. Whenever I felt I needed to stop, I made myself run faster.” ― Cecelia Ahern
257. “Remember, it’s the pace that kills, never the distance.”― Bill Jones
258. “It is never wise to run any race but your own.” ― Tim Fargo
259. “So they went running together, silent, toward the vast wastes of snow where no living thing but they two moved under the stars of night.” ― Clemence Housman
260. “If you schlep a shit job everyday, keep and feed a little secret life–whether it’s writing, art, running, music, your thoughts. It’s yours.” ― Don Roff
Running Quotes To Deter You From Losing Hope
261. “It’s not that I’m ahead of my time, it’s more that the world is running late” ― Josh Stern
262. “Run, leap and celebrate for you are alive today!” ― Bryant McGill
263. “…be as fast as Usain Bolt, the winner is the winner, even if he crawls like a crab, his destiny is unshakable.” ― Michael Bassey Johnson
264. “Running, the music flew into him, became the wind that pushed back his hair and the slap of his own feet on the pavement.” ― Ann Patchett
265. “Finish: Even if you run a slower than expected time, you succeed in any marathon when you finish.” ― Hal Higdon
266. “Love finds you, not the other way around, and you can’t run from it.” ― Dianna Hardy
267. “Great achievers are willing to die as hatrick dream scorers rather than to live as disappointed spectators! They keep the running to make it happen!” ― Israelmore Ayivor
268. “Entrepreneurs see the “no diving” sign and back-up to get a running start.” ― Ryan Lilly
269. “Everyone’s running from something.” ― Peter Watts
270. “Static people don’t fall! You fell because you were either climbing, or running. This is a sign that you are on track. Don’t stop where you fall; rise up and do it again!” ― Israelmore Ayivor
271. “You are truly your own hero in running. It is up to you to have the responsibility and self-discipline to get the job done.” — Adam Goucher
272. “If you can’t fly then run, if you can’t run then walk, if you can’t walk then crawl, but whatever you do you have to keep moving forward.” — Martin Luther King Jr
273. “Every marathon I ran, I knew I had a faster one in me.” — Dick Beardsley
274. “Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way. Run often and run long, but never outrun your joy of running.” — Julie Isphording
275. “I wanted to run my race. I didn’t want to sit there and play games and see who could kick the hardest. I wanted it to be a race.” — Marla Runyan
276. “I love running cross-country…You come up a hill and see two deer going, ‘What the hell is he doing?’ On a track I feel like a hamster.” — Robin Williams
277. “My greatest ideas stem from running.” — Sasha Azevedo
278. “Every run is a great run!” — Sasha Azevedo
279. “Everyone who has run knows that its most important value is in removing tension and allowing a release from whatever other cares the day may bring.” — Jimmy Carter
280. “We were born to run; we were born because we run.” — Christopher McDougall
Which Of These Running Quotes Was Your Favorite?
Running is one of the most beneficial physical activities you could undertake.
Besides making us healthier, running is a great social activity that can help you build a stronger and more meaningful network of friends.
If you’re not a natural-born runner, there’s no need to worry.
We hope these running quotes have reminded you that you don’t have to start out running like a marathoner.
A few minutes of daily running will significantly boost your happiness and make you live longer.
Did you enjoy these running quotes?
Which of the quotes was your favorite?
We would love to hear all about it in the comment section below.