Running is a beloved hobby of many people all across the globe. We’ve gathered an awesome collection of running quotes that will keep you fueled with each step you take no matter how short or far. These quotes about running are intended to keep you moving forward and never think about looking back unless it’s only to see how far you’ve come.
Thinking about becoming a runner but wondering why you should start? There are many reasons why you should fall in love with running.
Running is one of the best ways to boost both your physical and mental health. It helps just about all aspects of your health, provides an outlet for stress relief and improves your mood and overall happiness.
Besides being good for your health, running is also a great physical activity that provides a bridge to make some new friends and build strong relationships.
Running is also a great way to set a goal and then crush it. If you need some purpose in your life, now’s the time to lace up and work towards your goal.
What’s more, running is free. You can run anywhere, and it’s one of those exercises that don’t need any special equipment or a gym to get started.
So what are you waiting for? Here are some inspirational, energizing, and motivating running quotes, running sayings, and running proverbs to get you moving.
Don’t forget to also check out these walking quotes about the mental, physical, and emotional benefits.
Running quotes to motivate you to stay active
1. “The miracle isn’t that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start.” – John Bingham
2. “You must do the thing you think you cannot do.”— Eleanor Roosevelt
3. “Don’t dream of winning, train for it!” — Mo Farah
4. “Running allows me to set my mind free. Nothing seems impossible. Nothing unattainable.” — Kara Goucher
5. “I don’t run to add days to my life, I run to add life to my days.” – Ronald Rook
6. “I’ll be happy if running and I can grow old together.” – Haruki Murakami
7. “I run because if I didn’t, I’d be sluggish and glum and spend too much time on the couch. I run to breathe the fresh air. I run to explore. I run to escape the ordinary. I run…to savor the trip along the way. Life becomes a little more vibrant, a little more intense. I like that.” ― Dean Karnazes
If you’re enjoying these quotes, you’ll love our explore quotes about nature, wander and new experiences.
8. “The pain of running relieves the pain of living.” – Jacqueline Simon Gunn
9. “If you run, you are a runner. It doesn’t matter how fast or how far. It doesn’t matter if today is your first day or if you’ve been running for twenty years. There is no test to pass, no license to earn, no membership card to get. You just run.” – John Bingham
10. “I run because long after my footprints fade away, maybe I will have inspired a few to reject the easy path, hit the trails, put one foot in front of the other, and come to the same conclusion I did: I run because it always takes me where I want to go.” – Dean Karnazes
Running quotes to keep you inspired
11. “Running is the greatest metaphor for life, because you get out of it what you put into it.”— Oprah Winfrey
12. “If it doesn’t challenge you, it won’t change you.” – Fred DeVito
13. “If you don’t have answers to your problems after a four-hour run, you ain’t getting them.” – Christopher McDougall
14. “The man who moves a mountain begins by carrying away small stones.” – Confucius
15. “Never underestimate the power that one good workout can have on your mind. Keeping the dream alive is half the battle.” – Kara Goucher
16. “After all, if you run far enough, no one can catch you.” ― V.E. Schwab
17. “Life equals running and when we stop running maybe that’s how we’ll know life is finally finished.” – Patrick Ness
18. “Ask yourself: “Can I give more?” The answer is usually: “Yes.” – Paul Tergat
19. “Running is about finding your inner peace, and so is a life well lived.” ― Dean Karnazes
20. “Someone who is busier than you is running right now.” – Nike
Running quotes to motivate you for your next run
21. “Only those who risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go.”— T.S. Elliot
22. “Running is alone time that lets my brain unspool the tangles that build up over days…I run, pound it out on the pavement, channel that energy into my legs, and when I’m done with my run, I’m done with it.” — Rob Haneisen
23. “Running is real and relatively simple… but it ain’t easy.” – Mark Will-Weber
24. “We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.” – Aristotle
25. “Running is my private time, my therapy, my religion.” – Gail W. Kislevitz
26. “Long distance running is 90 percent mental and the other half is physical.” – Rich Davis
27. “Don’t fear moving slowly forward…fear standing still.” – Kathleen Harris
28. “There is something magical about running; after a certain distance, it transcends the body. Then a bit further, it transcends the mind. A bit further yet, and what you have before you, laid bare, is the soul.” – Kristin Armstrong
29. “I hated every minute of training, but I said, ”Don’t quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.” – Muhammad Ali
30. “As every runner knows, running is about more than just putting one foot in front of the other; it is about our lifestyle and who we are.” – Joan Benoit Samuelson
Running quotes to help you get you moving
31. “We all have dreams. But in order to make dreams come into reality, it takes an awful lot of determination, dedication, self-discipline, and effort.”— Jesse Owens
32. “Run when you can, walk if you have to, crawl if you must; just never give up.” – Dean Karnazes
33. “Run often. Run long. But never outrun your joy of running.” —Julie Isphording
34. “There’s not one body type that equates to success. Accept the body you have and be the best you can be with it.” – Mary Cullen
35. “Get going … walk if you have to, but finish the damned race.” – Ron Hill
36. “I’m not telling you it’s going to be easy… I’m telling you it’s going to be worth it.” – Art Williams
37. “We run when we’re scared, we run when we’re ecstatic, we run away from our problems and run around for a good time.” ― Christopher McDougall
38. “The freedom of Cross Country is so primitive. It’s woman vs. nature.” ― Lynn Jennings
39. “Good things come slow, especially in distance running.” – Bill Dellinger
40. “It’s at the borders of pain and suffering that the men are separated from the boys.” – Emil Zatopek
Running quotes to keep you going
41. “The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare.”— Juma Ikangaa
42. “A good laugh and a long run are the two best cures for anything.” —Unknown
43. “If you are losing faith in human nature, go out and watch a marathon.” – Kathrine Switzer
44. “You would run much slower if you were dragging something behind you, like a knapsack or a sheriff.” ― Lemony Snicket
45. “The reason we race isn’t so much to beat each other,… but to be with each other.” – Christopher McDougall
46. “Run in the morning … before your brain figures out what your body is doing!” – Anonymous
47. “Run like hell and get the agony over with.” – Clarence DeMar
48. “The marathon can humble you.” – Bill Rodgers
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of humble quotes about the benefits of humility.
49. “Some people train knowing they’re not working as hard as other people. I can’t fathom how they think.” – Alberto Salazar
50. “The obsession with running is really an obsession with the potential for more and more life.” – George Sheehan
Running quotes to keep you positive
51. “I’ve learned that it’s what you do with the miles, rather than how many you’ve run” – Rod DeHaven
52. “Remember, the feeling you get from a good run is far better than the feeling you get from sitting around wishing you were running.” – Sarah Condor
53. “Fast running isn’t forced. You have to relax and let the run come out of you.” – Desiree Linden
54. “A runner must run with dreams in his heart.” – Emil Zatopek
55. “Running is a thing worth doing not because of the future rewards it bestows, but because of how it feeds our bodies and minds and souls in the present.” – Kevin Nelson
56. “I always loved running…it was something you could do by yourself, and under your own power. You could go in any direction, fast or slow as you wanted, fighting the wind if you felt like it, seeking out new sights just on the strength of your feet and the courage of your lungs.” – Jesse Owens
57. “It’s not so much that I began to run, but that I continued.” – Hal Higdon
58. “Go fast enough to get there, but slow enough to see.” – Jimmy Buffett
59. “Running is a road to self-awareness and reliance-you can push yourself to extremes and learn the harsh reality of your physical and mental limitations or coast quietly down a solitary path watching the earth spin beneath your feet.” – Doris Brown Heritage
60. “Running became the one event in my daily life that I looked forward to. Books and movies paled in comparison to the refuge of my feet slapping patiently in the fresh morning air” – Kate Kinsey
Running quotes to keep you motivated
61. “My feeling is that any day I am too busy to run is a day that I am too busy.” – John Bryant
62. “Why race? The need to be tested, perhaps; the need to take risks; and the chance to be number one.”—George Sheehan
63. “You have a choice. You can throw in the towel, or you can use it to wipe the sweat off of your face.” – Gatorade
64. “I’m always nervous. If I wasn’t nervous, it would be weird. I get the same feeling at all the big races. It’s part of the routine, and I accept it. It means I’m there and I’m ready.”—Allyson Felix
65. “It was being a runner that mattered, not how fast or how far I could run. The joy was in the act of running and in the journey, not in the destination.” – John Bingham
66. “Different people have different reasons for racing, but one is simply the incentive to get out and run, increase mileage and feel good.”—Hal Higdon
67. “Runners just do it – they run for the finish line even if someone else has reached it first.” – Unknown
68. “No marathon gets easier later. The halfway point only marks the end of the beginning.”—Joe Henderson
69. “If you want to become the best runner you can be, start now. Don’t spend the rest of your life wondering if you can do it.” – Priscialla Welch
70. “It’s amazing how the same pace in practice can feel so much harder than on race day. Stay confident. Trust the process.”—Sara Hall
Running quotes that will change the way you think
71. “There are clubs you can’t belong to, neighbors you can’t live in, schools you can’t get into, but the roads are always open.” – NIKE
72. “Everyone in life is looking for a certain rush. Racing is where I get mine.”—John Trautmann
73. “When it’s pouring rain and you’re bowling along through the wet, there’s satisfaction in knowing you’re out there and the others aren’t.” – Peter Snell
74. “Once you’re beat mentally, you might as well not even go to the starting line.”—Todd Williams
75. “I often hear someone say I’m not a real runner. We are all runners, some just run faster than others. I never met a fake runner.” – Bart Yasso
76. “Running is in my blood—the adrenaline flows before the races, the love/hate of butterflies in your stomach.”—Marcus O’Sullivan
77. “A lot of people run a race to see who’s the fastest. I run to see who has the most guts.” – Steve Prefontaine
78. “No matter how old I get, the race remains one of life’s most rewarding experiences.”—George Sheehan
79. “If you don’t think you were born to run you’re not only denying history. You’re denying who you are.” – Christopher McDougall
80. “You cannot propel yourself forward by patting yourself on the back.”
Running quotes to inspire and motivate
81. “Two joggers passed, shoes cheerfully slapping against the pavement.”― Sara Shepard
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of short quotes that can make a big difference in your life.
82. “When you run, the road belongs to you.”― Toni Sorenson
83. “Running is flying intermittently.”― Alain Bremond-Torrent
84. “Every race proves a new opportunity to educate myself about what it means to be a runner and what it means to run.”― Jill Grunenwald
85. “Running is the movement of a free human being. It doesn’t demand any special premises or machines. You only need to put on your shoes and get going. Let the blood circulate. Then everything becomes much clearer.”― Markus Torgeby
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of movement quotes for fitness inspiration.
86. “Run! Life’s too short to walk. Unless you don’t know where you’re running to, then move very slowly.”― Neil A. Hogan
87. “I started running to escape the memories that drinking couldn’t cover up”― Dean Karnazes
88. “You can alter mood by running.”― Tumpal Sihombing
89. “Running is alone time that lets my brain unspool the tangles that build up over days” – Bob Hneisen
90. “Running strengthens self-motivation.”― Tumpal Sihombing
Other motivational running quotes
91. “Running … led to a deep happiness that only comes from doing what you love, what your soul screams at you to do upon waking each day.”― S.F. Hick
If you’re enjoying these quotes, you’ll love our collection of short motivational quotes that will get you ready to tackle the day.
92. “Running is therapy anyone can afford.”― Toni Sorenson
93. “Running is a form of practiced stoicism. It means teaching your brain and body to be biochemically comfortable in a state of disrepair.”― Matthew Inman
94. “Children run everywhere for a reason–it’s fun. Grown-ups can forget that sometimes.”― Jim Butcher
95. “Those who never run long distance or meditate in their lifetimes, miss out on the best free drugs the planet has to offer.”― Robert Black
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of drug quotes on how drug use can affect your mind, body, and spirit.
96. “When you feel life’s slow, run !”― Tumpal Sihombing
97. “Shut up and run.”― Matthew Inman
98. “Running is like music. It requires rhythm and focus. It requires dedication. It requires a dogged ability to shut out everything else. The herd is strung out below me, keeping time with the thump and slap of their cross-trainers. I hold the sound in my head and subtract cars, trucks, motorcycles, voices until it’s nothing but a song.”― Brenna Yovanoff
99. “Your body is made to move so move it.”― Toni Sorenson
100. “Running is an effort to escape from comfort zone.”― Tumpal Sihombing
More running quotes and sayings
101. “Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.” – Haruki Murakami
102. “If you build the guts to do something, anything, then you better save enough to face the consequences.” – Criss Jami
103. “The sharpest minds often ruin their lives by overthinking the next step, while the dull win the race with eyes closed.” – Bethany Brookbank
104. “I’m alone, but I’m not lonely. I like who I am. I like who I’m becoming.” – Deena Kastor
105. “Running away from someone you love is a race you will never win.” – Matshona Dhliwayo
106. “The only way for you to keep your mind straight is to run from those who would confuse you.” – Kristin Cashore
107. “Running ain’t no bad thing. Leastways if you run in the right direction.” – Mark Lawrence
108. “My past is trying to catch up to me and I must continue to run from it. It’s the only way I can live.” – Nicole Sobon
109. “Love is not running away or giving up, it is standing and fighting for every moment.” – M.F. Moonzajer
110. “Tension, in the long run, is a more dangerous force than any feud known to man.” – Criss Jami
Which of these running quotes was your favorite?
Running is one of the most beneficial physical activities you could undertake. Besides making us healthier, running is a great social activity that can help you build a stronger and more meaningful network of friends.
If you’re not a natural born runner, there’s no need to worry at all. We hope these running quotes have reminded you that you don’t have to start out running like a marathoner. Just a few minutes of daily running will significantly boost your happiness and make you live longer.
Did you enjoy these running quotes? Which of the quotes was your favorite? We would love to hear all about it in the comment section below.
March 17, 2021 5:30 AM EST