These university and college quotes will motivate you to study, learn, and succeed.
Attending college could be the most fun or the most stressful time of your life.
The journey towards higher education is a path of dedication, patience, and hard work.
Throughout university, you’ll make new friends, learn a vast number of things, and experience unique lifestyles and perspectives.
If you understand the importance of education, the college experience will appeal to you.
Whether you spend most of your time at parties or in the library, you’ll love these incredible university insights.
Share this list of college quotes with all the students, professors, and alumni that you know.
College quotes to motivate you on your quest for knowledge and success
Remember these inspirational sayings and proverbs the next time you’re walking around campus.
1. “Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.” — Nelson Mandela
2. “No man should escape our universities without knowing how little he knows.” — J. Robert Oppenheimer
3. “An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest.” — Benjamin Franklin
4. “College has given me the confidence I need to fail.” — Jarod Klintz
5. “Definition of a college professor: someone who talks in other people’s sleep.” — W.H. Auden
6. “The aim of the college, for the individual student, is to eliminate the need in his life for the college; the task is to help him become a self-educating man.” — George Horace Lorimer
7. “The things taught in schools and colleges are not an education, but the means to an education.” — Ralph Waldo Emerson
8. “Education is the passport to the future, for tomorrow belongs to those who prepare for it today.” — Malcolm X
9. “Every year, many, many stupid people graduate from college. And if they can do it, so can you.” — John Green
10. “Educating yourself does not mean you were stupid in the first place; it means that you are intelligent enough to know that there is plenty left to learn.” — Melanie Joy
College quotes to open you up to new opportunities
Read this collection of college quotes to truly appreciate the achievements and struggles of being a university student.
11. “College is the reward for surviving high school.” — Judd Apatow
12. “A college degree is not a sign of a finished product but an indication a person is prepared for life.” — Reverend Edward A. Malloy
13. “You can lead a boy to college, but you can’t make him think.” — Elbert Hubbard
14. “Education is the best provision for life’s journey.” — Aristotle
15. “Months are different in college, especially freshman year. Too much happens. Every freshman month equals six regular months –– they’re like dog months.” — Rainbow Rowell
16. “College inspired me to think differently. It’s like no other time in your life.” — Lari Oleynik
17. “The function of education is to teach one to think intensively and to think critically. Intelligence plus character –– that is the goal of true education.” — Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
18. “College is the best time of your life. When else are your parents going to spend several thousand dollars a year just for you to go to a strange town and get drunk every night?” — David Wood
19. “You can’t use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have.” — Maya Angelou
College quotes that will motivate you to study hard
These college quotes about higher education highlight the realities of attending university.
21. “Opportunities don’t happen. You create them.” — Chris Grosser
23. “You have to stay in school; you have to. You have to go to college; you have to get your degree. Because that’s the one thing people can’t take away from you is your education. And it is worth the investment.” — Michelle Obama
24. “The American Dream is one of success, homeownership, college education for one’s children, and have a secure job to provide these and other goals.” — Leonard Boswell
25. “College is a refuge from hasty judgment.” — Robert Frost
26. “Unemployment rates among Americans who never went to college are about double that of those who have a postsecondary education.” — Bill Gates
27. “The aim of a college education is to teach you to know a good man when you see one.” — William James
28. “When I was in college, I wanted to be involved in things that would change the world.” — Elon Musk
29. “If you want to get laid, go to college. If you want an education, go to the library.” — Frank Zappa
30. “In my bright, utopian future world, they will hand out college educations like cups of water at the end of the L.A. Marathon.” — Henry Rollins
College quotes to inspire your academic journey
These college quotes will inspire you to get good grades while still having a memorable experience.
31. “My favorite college experience was probably leaving college.” — Marshawn Lynch
32. “In college, you learn how to learn. Four years is not too much time to spend at that.” — Mary Oliver
33. “Success isn’t overnight. It’s when every day you get a little better than the day before. It all adds up.” ― Dwayne Johnson
34. “When bright young minds can’t afford college, America pays the price.” — Arthur Ashe
35. “There are two kinds of people in this world: those who want to get things done and those who don’t want to make mistakes.” — John Maxwell
36. “I couldn’t go to college, so I went to the library three days a week for 10 years.” — Ray Bradbury
37. “It is not hard for me to remember when I was in college. I loved many things about college life: I loved learning. I loved the comradery. And I loved football.” — Joseph B. Wirthlin
38. “Every young man or woman should weigh the matter well before concluding that a college education is out of the question.” — Orison Swett Marden
39. “Success is the sum of small efforts, repeated day in and day out.” ― Robert Collier
40. “Going to college made me realize you have to have real spaces of privacy, and you have to establish those early.” — Cole Sprouse
Other college and university quotes to inspire you
Find inspiration for your educational journey in the following quotes.
41. “The same independence that got me into trouble in high school got me praise in college.” — Alan Dershowitz
42. “Free speech is the foundation of an open and liberal democracy from college campuses to the White House.” — Hasan Minhaj
43. “Study without desire spoils the memory, and it retains nothing that it takes in.” — Leonardo da Vinci
44. “If you have four years to complete your college education, do it.” — Bo Jackson
45. “The privilege of a university education is a great one; the more widely it is extended, the better for any country.” — Winston Churchill
46. “The purpose of education is to replace an empty mind with an open one.” — Malcolm Forbes
47. “An education isn’t how much you have committed to memory, or even how much you know. It’s being able to differentiate between what you know and what you don’t.” — Anatole France
48. “A man who has never gone to school may steal from a freight car; but if he has a university education, he may steal the whole railroad.” — Theodore Roosevelt
49. “The roots of education are bitter, but the fruit is sweet.” — Aristotle
50. “Education doesn’t cease when you leave college or leave the university. Education is a lifetime process.” — Jim Rohn
More college quotes and sayings
Learn more about getting a higher degree in the following quotes.
51. “You educate a man; you educate a man. You educate a woman; you educate a generation.” — Brigham Young
52. “Educating the mind without educating the heart is no education at all.” — Aristotle
53. “Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire.” — William Butler Yeats
54. “Formal education will make you a living; self-education will make you a fortune.” — Jim Rohn
55. “Educate a boy, and you educate an individual. Educate a girl, and you educate a community.” — Adelaide Hoodless
56. “Education is education. We should learn everything and then choose which path to follow. Education is neither Eastern nor Western; it is human.” — Malala Yousafzai
57. “Education is a weapon, whose effect depends on who holds it in his hands and at whom it is aimed.” — Joseph Stalin
58. “What you learn today, for no reason at all, will help you discover all the wonderful secrets of tomorrow.” — Norton Juster
59. “Education is what survives when what has been learned has been forgotten.” — B.F. Skinner
60. “Education is the movement from darkness to light.” — Allan Bloom
Funny college quotes to make you smile
Enjoy the funny college quotes below, and don’t forget to share your personal, funny college moments!
61. “If the college you visit has a bookstore filled with t-shirts rather than books, find another college.” — R. Albert Mohler Jr.
62. “A senior always feels like the university is going to the kids.” — Tom Masson
63. “Does college pay? They do if you are a good open-field runner.” — Will Rogers
64. “Colleges don’t make fools they only develop them.” — George Horace Lorimer
65. “A university is just a group of buildings gathered around a library.” — Shelby Foote
66. “They teach anything in universities today. You can major in mud pies.” — Orson Welles
67. “I was a modest, good-humored boy. It is Oxford that has made me insufferable.” — Max Beerbohm
68. “If you feel that you have both feet planted on solid ground, then the university has failed you.” — Robert Gohen
69. “Everyone has a right to a university degree in America, even if it’s in Hamburger Technology.” — Clive James
70. “Let me say no danger and no hardship ever makes me wish to get back to that college life again.” — Joshua Chamberlain
Funny college quotes to further your education goals and go further
Funny college quotes show you the fun that can be had, but the following quotes encourage you as you further your education.
71. “There is no elevator to success. You have to take the stairs.” — Zig Ziglar
72. “A college education shows a man how little other people know.” — Thomas Chandler Haliburton
63. “This college would probably have the same problem as the last one did.” I frowned, “What’s that?” “Homework.” ― Richelle Mead
74. “College ain’t so much where you been as how you talk when you get back.” — Ossie Davis
75. “Colleges are places where pebbles are polished and diamonds are dimmed.” — R.S. Ingersoll
76. “College is a place to keep warm between high school and an early marriage.” — George Gobel
77. “You will either step forward into growth, or you will step backward into safety.” — Abraham Maslow
68. “Striving for success without hard work is like trying to harvest when you haven’t planted.” — David Bly
79. “The chief value in going to college is that it’s the only way to learn it really doesn’t matter. ” — George Edwin Howes
80. “A college education should equip one to entertain three things: a friend, an idea and oneself.” — Thomas Ehrlich
College quotes that provide perspective
Gain additional perspective as you expand your mind with the following quotes.
81. “College isn’t in everyone’s hearts. I am living proof, though, that school doesn’t mess up your plans. It gives you more experiences to write about.” — J. Cole
82. “My college years are a blur.” — Robert Ben Garant
83. “All of my friends who have younger siblings who are going to college or high school – my number one piece of advice is: You should learn how to program.” — Mark Zuckerberg
84. “My college experience was like everyone else’s. I learned a lot. I gained a new perspective on the world and on people that I’m so thankful and appreciative for.” — Kyle Carpenter
85. “I think a college education is important no matter what you do in life.” — Phil Mickelson
86. “College was especially sweet because of the positive, hopeful atmosphere of a college campus.” — Jerry Kramer
87. “Getting through high school and college was one of my greatest achievements.” — Ann Bancroft
88. “One of the great mind destroyers of college education is the belief that if it’s very complex, it’s very profound.” — Dennis Prager
89. “I got a wonderful college education. I went to Harvard. In those four years, I accumulated a lot of knowledge, but I also created a kind of habit of learning that has stayed with me my whole life.” — John Lithgow
90. “The most obvious purpose of college education is to help students acquire information and knowledge by acquainting them with facts, theories, generalizations, principles, and the like. This purpose scarcely requires justification.” — Derek Bok
College quotes for people who want a different kind of education
There are more ways to learn than only the traditional college path, as shown in the following quotes.
91. “A thorough knowledge of the Bible is worth more than a college education.” — Theodore Roosevelt
92. “My mother said I must always be intolerant of ignorance but understanding of illiteracy. That some people, unable to go to school, were more educated and more intelligent than college professors.” — Maya Angelou
93. “College isn’t the place to go for ideas.” — Helen Keller
94. “Being considerate of others will take your children further in life than any college degree.” — Marian Wright Edelman
95. “I think everyone should go to college and get a degree and then spend six months as a bartender and six months as a cab driver. Then they would really be educated.” — Al McGuire
96. “Many kids come out of college, they have a credit card and a diploma. They don’t know how to buy a house or a car or health insurance or life insurance. They do not know basic microeconomics.” — Jesse Jackson
97. “In college, I used to underline sentences that struck me, that made me look up from the page. They were not necessarily the same sentences the professors pointed out, which would turn up for further explication on an exam.” — Jhumpa Lahiri
98. “Universities used to prepare young adults for the real world. I dare say the graduates today go in without a clue and graduate without a clue. It’s time to acknowledge the college degree is not worth what it was in the past.” — Dale Archer
99. “Just because I don’t have a college degree doesn’t mean I am not smart!” — Emma Stone
100. “The best math lesson we can teach college students this year is to subtract a tuition increase and benefit from the dividends of higher education.” — Jodi Rell
Short College Quotes To Keep You Inspired
Get a wide array of opinions and ideas in the following quotes, including some funny college quotes.
101. “And will you succeed? Yes, you will indeed! (98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed).” — Dr. Seuss
102. “Struggling to decide what to do after graduation is… a sort of rite of passage to the next phase of your life.” — Gloria Davidson
103. “Education is the key to unlocking the world, a passport to freedom.” — Oprah Winfrey
104. “Develop a passion for learning… you will never cease to grow.” — Anthony J. D’Angelo
105. “College is fun as long as you don’t die.” ― Tsugumi Ohba
106. “The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.” — B. B. King
107. “Going to college offered me the chance to play football for four more years.” — Ronald Reagan
108. “The best way to predict your future is to create it.” — Abraham Lincoln
109. “A little progress each day adds up to big results.” — Satya Nani
110. “Excellence is not a skill. It is an attitude.” — Ralph Marston
Thought Provoking College Quotes That Help You To Maintain Focus
The following quotes will get you thinking and reflecting.
111. “Focus on doing the right things instead of a bunch of things.” — Mike Krieger
112. “Discipline is just choosing between what you want now and what you want most.” — Abraham Lincoln
113. “You will find the key to success under the alarm clock.” — Benjamin Franklin
114. “So long as your desire to explore is greater than your desire to not screw up, you’re on the right track.” — Ed Helms
115. “The only place where success comes before work is in the dictionary.” — Vidal Sassoon
116. “Just remember, you can’t climb the ladder of success with your hands in your pockets.” — Arnold Schwarzenegger
117. “You will never have more energy or enthusiasm, hair, or brain cells than you have today.” — Tom & Ray Magliozzi
118. “Life is an improvisation. You have no idea what’s going to happen next and you are mostly just making things up as you go along.” — Stephen Colbert
119. “Remember, when it comes to applying for jobs, books ARE judged by their cover!” — Patricia Akins
120. “With the realization of one’s own potential and self-confidence in one’s ability, one can build a better world.” — Dalai Lama
College Quotes For Celebrating Years Spent In College
Celebrate on your way to success with the following quotes.
121. “The first dream I had was just to get a college education. I got through college in three years, taking extra classes in summer school.” — Eli Broad
122. “When I was in my freshman year at college I took some acting classes and found that I fell in love with it again.” — Mary-Kate Olsen
123. “I love to box. I once took a kickboxing class in college and got totally hooked.” — Sophia Bush
124. “I’ve been composing music all my life, and if I’d been clever enough at school, I would like to have gone to music college.” — Anthony Hopkins
125. “I went to military college in Canada and graduated as an officer in the Navy but also as an engineer.” — Marc Garneau
126. “I studied the cello for a long time, from when I was little up through college.” — Lev Grossman
127. “I was known around the college for jamming in the lounge.” — Bernie Worrell
128. “I was always a good student, but I didn’t read that much until I was 18 and I was working my way through college.” — James Patterson
129. “I like college football, but I’m a huge college basketball fan. I could sit and watch every game of March Madness and be happy. That could be a vacation.” — Lewis Black
130. “If I’d stayed at college, I would have become a teacher.” — Syd Barrett
College Quotes for Learning More About Life
College gives you the opportunity to learn more than just what your professors teach you.
131. “I had higher math SATs than in English – yet I became an English major in college.” — Christie Hefner
132. “My favorite thing is still journalism. I’m almost 50. This has been my life ever since I was in college.” — David Talbot
133. “I can remember at college, living on 30-cent meals.” — Sargent Shriver
134. “My parents put everything in a trust fund for me. I won’t get it until I’m 18, so I’ll use it for college.” — Heather O’Rourke
135. “I’m a big sports fan. College football is my favorite.” — Verne Troyer
136. “I don’t think that players learn how to play any other aspect of the game in high school or college.” — Oscar Robertson
137. “I remember when I was in college, I used to watch Julia Child’s cooking show during dinner and joke with my roommates about becoming a TV chef.” — Martin Yan
138. “I am often amazed at how much more capability and enthusiasm for science there is among elementary school youngsters than among college students.” — Carl Sagan
139. “Some people get an education without going to college. The rest get it after they get out.” — Mark Twain
140. “Chemistry is a class you take in high school or college, where you figure out two plus two is 10, or something.” — Dennis Rodman
College Quotes To Further Your Education
Get motivated to further your education with the following quotes.
141. “So if a college education is indispensable, the challenge as I see it is how to make it more accessible.” ― Gordon Gee
142. “It occurred to me in my junior year of high school. I got my first letter from a big college. I still have that letter to this day – a letter from Indiana.” ― Bo Jackson
143. “I went to a Canadian college for performing arts and then I auditioned for Canadian Idol. That honestly was my golden ticket.” ― Carly Rae Jepsen
144. “I guess when people ask what is the biggest transition to the NBA from college, it is definitely defense and the mental part.” ― Magic Johnson
145. “I’d done recordings, little demos since I was in college, which I used to get gigs. But I never thought I’d have a record label.” ― Norah Jones
Quotes about furthering your education
Explore the idea of furthering your education with the following quotes.
146. “In college, I had a weekend gig at a restaurant, a solo thing that was the best practice I could have ever had. That’s where I learned to coordinate my singing and my piano playing.” ― Norah Jones
147. “In college, I had a lot of friends who were writers and wanted to be writers, and I felt intimidated by it. I just didn’t know if I had any gift or voice, and I had no confidence about it.” ― Rashida Jones
148. “I always wanted to be some kind of writer or newspaper reporter. But after college… I did other things.” ― Jackie Kennedy
149. “I was lucky to have a successful career as a model, but that was just a way to pay off my college loans.” ― Padma Lakshmi
150. “I went to college because I felt like I was supposed to. I graduated from public high school, and I did all the things that I was supposed to do.” ― Mila Kunis
College Quotes To Help You Self Educate Yourself
College degrees aren’t all you need to succeed, as shown in the following quotes.
151. “Colleges don’t make fools; they only develop them.” ― George Lorimer
152. “The college graduate is presented with a sheepskin to cover his intellectual nakedness.” ― Robert M. Hutchins
153. “A college boy cannot successfully go through life by graduating in football, baseball, or highballs, for the responsibilities of life are not ball-bearing.” ― William H. Murray
154. “A college degree is not a sign that one is a finished product but an indication a person is prepared for life.” ― Reverend Edward A. Malloy
155. “By making college unaffordable and student loans unbearable, we risk deterring our best and brightest from pursuing higher education and securing a good paying job.” ― Mark Pocan
156. “That’s what college is for – getting as many bad decisions as possible out of the way before you’re forced into the real world. I keep a checklist of ’em on the wall in my room.” ― Jeph Jacques
157. “Fathers send their sons to college either because they went to college or because they didn’t.” ― L. L. Henderson
158. “Never get married in college; it’s hard to get a start if a prospective employer finds you’ve already made one mistake.” ― Elbert Hubbard
159. “Don’t ever dare to take your college as a matter of course – because, like democracy and freedom, many people you’ll never know have broken their hearts to get it for you.” ― Alice Duer Miller
160. “It is not my wish to lounge about the college and fatten on a fellowship all my days. I am always trying to look upon a college life as a medium, not an end.” ― Thomas Edward Brown
College Quotes on the Value of College Education
There is a lot of value that comes with a college education as shown in the following quotes.
161. “College is a time to challenge yourself and to grow, both as a person and as a student, and to find your place in the world.” ― Taylor Swift
162. “College is a time to form lifelong relationships and to create memories that will stay with you forever.” ― Sheryl Crow
163. “College is a place where you can find your voice and use it to make a positive impact on the world.” ― Bill Gates
164. “College is a time to take risks, to make mistakes, and to learn from your experiences.” ― Mark Zuckerberg
155. “College is a place where you can learn from others and from the world around you, and where you can find the courage to make a difference.” ― Hillary Clinton
166. “College is a time for self-discovery and for learning how to think critically and independently.” ― Malala Yousafzai
167. “College is a place to experiment, to try new things, and to find out who you really are.” ― Steve Jobs
168. “College is an opportunity to challenge yourself and to push beyond your limits, to explore new ideas and to find your passions.” ― Ellen DeGeneres
169. “College is not just a time to party and have fun, but it’s a time to learn and grow, to discover yourself and your place in the world.” ― Oprah Winfrey
170. “College is a place to keep your mind open to possibilities and to strengthen your resolve to pursue your dreams.” ― Sheryl Sandberg
College Quotes for Every Student’s Journey
A higher education is just the beginning of life’s path, as shown in the following quotes.
171. “Your education is a dress rehearsal for a life that is yours to lead.” ― Nora Ephron
172. “College is a place where pebbles are polished and diamonds are dimmed.” ― Robert G. Ingersoll
173. “The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. Your college education is that step.” ― Joe Murray
174. “College is not preparation for life; college is life itself.” ― John Dewey
175. “The purpose of a college education is to give you the tools to question and analyze the world. If you simply accept what you’re told without questioning it, then other people can define your reality for you.” ― Tracy Chapman
176. “Your education is a dress rehearsal for a life that is yours to lead.” ― Nora Ephron
177. “College is about the power of ideas, the power of sharing information, the power of imagination. The focus, the nerve center of a college is the library.” ― Toni Morrison
178. “The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you.” ― B.B. King
179. “Your time in college is meant to transform you, to challenge your beliefs, and to help you discover who you really are.” ― Michelle Obama
180. “College is the place where you become the person you’re meant to be.” ― Oprah Winfrey
College Quotes to Navigate Through College Life
Navigate the college journey with the following quotes.
181. “The best investment you can make is in yourself.” ― Warren Buffett
182. “I went to college. West Point is technically a college.” ― Lee Child
183. “I was a psych major in college, and I actually owned two white lab rats. I had to train them, and I took them home, so that’s just kind of missing for me.” ― Steven Yeun
184. “Out of the nursery into the college and back into the nursery; there’s your intellectual pattern for the past five centuries or more.” ― Ray Bradbury
185. “‘All life lessons are not learned at college,’ she thought. ‘Life teaches them everywhere.'” ― Lucy Maud Montgomery
186. “Our colleges ought to have lit up in us a lasting relish for a better kind of man, a loss of appetite for mediocrities.” ― William James
187. “College is the best thing that can ever happen to you,” my father used to say, and he was right, for it was there that I discovered drugs, drinking, and smoking.” ― David Sedari
188. “Be the best at what you do. Get to know more about your field than anybody alive.” ― Michael Jackson
189. “Learning is not something that stops once you get out of school. Rather, it’s something that should be considered as a vital component of your day-to-day life.” ― Rupert Johnson
190. “It’s not your blue blood, your pedigree or your college degree. It’s what you do with your life that counts.” ― Millard Fuller
191. “Every single graduate here today had someone that helped us and guide us.” ― Kendra Wasson
192. “There is no chance, no destiny, no fate, that can circumvent, or hinder or control the firm resolve of a determined soul.” ― Ella Wheeler Wilcox
193. “Life is the most exciting opportunity we have. But we have one shot. You graduate from college once, and that’s it. You’re going out of that nest. And you have to find that courage that’s deep, deep, deep in there. Every step of the way. ” ― Andrew Shue
194. “Although I oppose the idea of the commencement address, I’ve been thinking about what would have been useful for me to hear on the day I left college. I wish that someone had said to me that it’s normal to feel lost for a little while.” ― Ira Glass
195. “I was a scholarship minor public school day boy at Ardingly College and later Whitgift School. Then, straight into work as a journalist – a wonderful thing for a writer.” ― Neil Gaiman
196. “Young women today do not marry the men they met in high school, or even the one they go out with at college, because they do not need to.” ― Helen Fisher
197. “Our colleges ought to have lit up in us a lasting relish for a better kind of man, a loss of appetite for mediocrities.” ― William James
198. “Setting up a college fund would be a great way to redirect the tangible evidence of Daddy’s love.” ― Emily Yoffe
199. “Part of me regrets not finishing college.” ― Daryl Palumbo
200. “By the time I was ready for college, I didn’t know what I wanted to do. I think I secretly wanted a show business career, but I was suppressing it.” ― Will Ferrell
201. “The funny guy doesn’t get the girl until later in life. High school, college, everyone still wants the brooding, dangerous guy you shouldn’t have.” ― Will Ferrell
202. “College softball each year reaches new levels of interest.” ― Jennie Finch
203. “College was the greatest four years of my life.” ― Jennie Finch
204. “I want to go to college and go back to Georgetown. It’s a really cool place.” ― Bobby Flay
205. “I saw leaving college as an opportunity to do something different with my life. I always thought that becoming an academic was going to be my path.” ― Jodie Foster
206. “I have a daughter who is a sophomore in college and another who is in the 11th grade of high school.” ― Thomas Friedman
207. “The preparation I had in college was the most valuable.” ― Hayden Fry
Which of these college quotes inspires you to go back to school?
A college degree is an extremely valuable asset to have in life.
Being well-educated can boost your potential and open you up to new opportunities.
This collection of quotes about university will motivate you in your quest for knowledge and success.
If you want to expand your horizons, attending college is the perfect path for you.
Remember these inspirational quotes throughout your academic journey as a student.
The university lifestyle can be hectic and stressful, so it’s important to remember your goals and maintain a positive attitude.
Keeping these words and insights in mind can help you keep a clear perspective.
What are your favorite college quotes about education?
Let us know in the comment section below.