Although this classic dystopian novel focuses on the dark side, these 1984 quotes will brighten up your life.
1984 is George Orwell’s bleakly dystopian novel about life under constant scrutiny.
In the novel, Orwell describes the future in a totalitarian state where thoughts and actions are scrutinized by the ever-watchful Big Brother.
The book follows the life of Winston Smith, a lower member of the ruling authoritarian political party who feels frustrated by the oppression and rigid control of the Party.
Winston works in the Ministry of Truth but he secretly dislikes the party and dreams of rebellion against Big Brother.
He has also entered a forbidden relationship with coworker Julia and dares to write his criminal thoughts in a diary.
1984 is a modern classic that has had an impact from the moment it was released.
It introduced many terms and concepts that have entered common usage, including Big Brother, doublespeak, and thoughtcrime.
The book has received various awards, including being chosen as one of the 100 best English-language novels by Time Magazine, being listed at #8 on The Big Read survey done by the BBC, and a place on the list of Modern Library’s 100 Best Novels.
Below is our collection of inspirational, powerful, and thought-provoking 1984 quotes that will blow your mind and make you want to create positive change.
Also, check out these timeless Fahrenheit 451 quotes that will inspire you to think differently.
If you like this article, we suggest you explore our most popular quotes article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily encouragement.
Read more related content on our inspirational quotes category page.
1984 Quotes That Will Change The Way You See The World
1. “Of pain you could wish only one thing: that it should stop. Nothing in the world was so bad as physical pain. In the face of pain there are no heroes.” ― George Orwell
You will also enjoy our article on big brother quotes.
2. “For the first time he perceived that if you want to keep a secret you must also hide it from yourself. ” ― George Orwell
You will also enjoy our article on airplane quotes.
3. “Even if you are a minority of one it does not make you wrong.” ― George Orwell
You will also enjoy our article on elephant quotes.
4. “If you can feel that staying human is worthwhile, even when it can’t have any result whatever, you’ve beaten them.” ― George Orwell
5. “It is impossible to found a civilization on fear and hatred and cruelty. It would never endure.” ― George Orwell
6. “The consequences of every act are included in the act itself.” ― George Orwell
7. “Where there is equality there can be sanity.” ― George Orwell
8. “In general, the greater the understanding, the greater the delusion; the more intelligent, the less sane.” ― George Orwell
9. “Nothing exists except through human consciousness.” ― George Orwell
10. “If you are falling from a height it is not cowardly to clutch at a rope.” ― George Orwell
Also, check out these Animal Farm quotes on the power of too much power.
1984 quotes that will inspire you to find ways to change the world
11. “The choice for mankind lies between freedom and happiness and for the great bulk of mankind, happiness is better.” ― George Orwell
12. “War is war. The only good human being is a dead one.” ― George Orwell
13. “Those who control the present, control the past and those who control the past control the future.” ― George Orwell
14. “Your worst enemy, he reflected, was your own nervous system.” ― George Orwell
15. “Why was it that they could never shout like that about something that mattered?”― George Orwell
16. “If you kept the small rules, you could break the big ones.” ― George Orwell
17. “We are the dead. Our only true life is in the future. We shall take part in it as handfuls of dust and splinters of bone.” ― George Orwell
18. “In philosophy, or religion, or ethics, or politics, two and two might make five, but when one was designing a gun or an airplane they had to make four.” ― George Orwell
19. “The clever thing was to break the rules and stay alive all the same.” ― George Orwell
20. “But the inner heart, whose workings were mysterious even to yourself, remained impregnable.” ― George Orwell
Don’t forget to also check out these Macbeth quotes about power and ambition.
1984 quotes that will change the way you think
21. “It was like trying to make a move at chess when you were already mated.” ― George Orwell
22. “Power is in tearing human minds to pieces and putting them together again in new shapes of your own choosing.”― George Orwell
23. “Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two make four.” ― George Orwell
24. “It was not by making yourself heard but by staying sane that you carried on the human heritage.” ― George Orwell
25. “Reality exists in the human mind, and nowhere else.” ― George Orwell
Which of these 1984 quotes was your favorite?
1984 is a classic literary novel not only because of the vast amount of questions and thoughts it provokes but also because it’s brilliantly written with a searing conscience.
The book is a perfect reminder of the dangers of totalitarianism and a world governed by propaganda, surveillance, and censorship.
Hopefully, the quotes above have inspired you to take action and find ways to have a positive impact on the world.
Did you enjoy these 1984 quotes?
Which of the quotes was your favorite?
Let us know in the comment section below.
Also, don’t forget to share with your friends and followers.
August 8, 2022 5:27 AM EST