Check out these cheerful quotes if you are looking for reasons to be happier and smile more.
Let us know which one resonated with you the most in the comment section below.
Remaining cheerful despite our conditions is a powerful way to deal with fear, negative self speak, and a lack of confidence.
American newspaper columnist George Matthew Adams once observed that “A cheerful frame of mind, reinforced by relaxation… is the medicine that puts all ghosts of fear on the run.”
Being cheerful is not just for the holiday season.
Every day that we wake up, we are presented with several opportunities to make choices.
Unbeknownst to some, being cheerful is a choice.
Sometimes it is hard for people to accept this, but how we respond to a situation is much more important than what actually transpired.
It is not to make light of tragedy or hard times.
However, this mindset allows us to stand in our own power.
Cheerful quotes to put a smile on your face
1. “A merry heart maketh a cheerful countenance.” — King Solomon
2. “Learn the sweet magic of a cheerful face.” ― Oliver Wendall Holmes
3. “There is inestimable blessing in a cheerful spirit.” — Orison Swett Marden
4. “Laughing cheerfulness throws the light of day on all the paths of life.” — Jean Paul
5. “I am cheerful. I don’t know if I’m happy. There is a difference, you know.” — Tom Robbins
6. “Wondrous is the strength of cheerfulness, and its power of endurance.” — Thomas Carlyle
7. “There is no personal charm so great as the charm of a cheerful temperament.” — Henry Van Dyke
8. “I am determined to be cheerful and happy in whatever situation I may find myself.” — Martha Washington
9. “A happy woman is one who has no cares at all; a cheerful woman is one who has cares but doesn’t let them get her down.” — Beverly Sills
10. “After every storm, the sun will smile; for every problem, there is a solution, and the soul’s infeasible duty is to be of good cheer.” — William R. Alger
Cheerful quotes for depression and your health
11. “A cheerful heart and a cheerful mind are powerful tools.” — Anonymous
12. “The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody else up.” — Mark Twain
13. “To keep the heart unwrinkled, to be hopeful, kindly, cheerful, reverent—that is to triumph over old age.” — Thomas Bailey Aldrich
14. “The cheerful man will do more in the same time, will do it; better, will preserve it longer, than the sad or sullen.” — Thomas Carlyle
15. “A cheerful frame of mind, reinforced by relaxation… is the medicine that puts all ghosts of fear on the run.” — George Matthew Adams
16. “Never hurry. Take plenty of exercise. Always be cheerful. Take all the sleep you need. You may expect to be well.” — James Freeman Clarke
17. “The human body is a steed that goes freest and longest under a light rider, and the lightest of all riders is a cheerful heart.” — John Burroughs
18. “The eyes of the cheerful and of the melancholy man are fixed upon the same creation; but very different are the aspects which it bears to them.” — Albert Pike
19. “When the mind has once formed the habit of holding cheerful, happy, prosperous pictures, it will not be easy to form the opposite habit.” — Orison Swett Marden
20. “Some men are born old, and some men never seem so. If we keep well and cheerful, we are always young and at last die in youth even when in years would count as old.” — Tryon Edwards
Cheerfulnes quotes for work and life
21. “The most certain sign of wisdom is cheerfulness.” — Michel de Montaigne
22. “The person who can be only serious or only cheerful, is but half a man.” — Leigh Hunt
23. “If I’m going through life broke, I might as well live in the company of cheerful idiots like actors.” — Peter Finch
24. “And so of cheerfulness, or a good temper—the more it is spent, the more of it remains.” — Ralph Waldo Emerson
25. “20 or 30 exclamation points can go a long way to making the tone of your email excited and cheerful.” — Sarah Cooper
26. “A man can believe a considerable deal of rubbish, and yet go about his daily work in a rational and cheerful manner.” — Norman Douglas
27. “I tend to think the world is a bit of a miserable place, so anyone who can add to people’s optimistic, cheerful side is doing a good job, which is what I hope I’m doing.” — Jo Brand
28. “The energy you give off is the energy you receive. I really think that, so I’m always myself—jumping, dancing, singing around, trying to cheer everybody up.” — Cara Delevingne
29. “You find yourself refreshed in the presence of cheerful people. Why not make an honest effort to confer that pleasure on others? Half the battle is gained if you never allow yourself to say anything gloomy.” — Lydia M. Child
30. “Happiness is in our own hearts. I have no regrets of anything in the past. I’m totally cheerful and happy, and I think that a lot of your attitude is not in the circumstances you find yourself in, but in the circumstances you make for yourself.” — Maeve Binchy
I am cheerful quotes
31. “I’m basically quite a cheerful person.” — Kenneth Branagh
32. “I am cheerful, I just wear it under my frown.” — Dr. Donald Frazier
33. “I don’t know if I’m relentlessly cheerful… more consistently relaxed.” — George Ezra
34. “People have always complimented me for being cheerful and happy.” — Jasmin Bhasin
35. “I am quite a cheerful, dark person. On the outside, I’m optimistic but I expect the worst to happen.” — Meg Rosoff
36. “I have always been—I think any student of history almost inevitably is—a cheerful pessimist.” — Jacques Barzun
37. “I don’t think you should have to try to be nice, I think most people are nice. I think being cheerful and nice is just a politeness.” — Graham Norton
38. “I have learned that the greater part of our misery or unhappiness is determined not by our circumstance but by our disposition.” — Martha Washington
39. “I say to myself that I shall try to make my life like an open fireplace, so that people may be warmed and cheered by it and so go out themselves to warm and cheer.” — George Matthew Adams
40. “You may have gathered that I am not the most cheerful of revelers—some characterize me as the death and soullessness of any party but it wasn’t always so, believe me.” — Will Self
Thought-provoking cheerfulness quotes that offer perspective
41. “Cheerfulness and contentment are great beautifiers, and are famous preservers of good looks.” — Charles Dickens
42. “To keep the heart unwrinkled, to be hopeful, kindly, cheerful, reverent that is to triumph over old age.” — Amos Bronson Alcott
43. “To be seventy years young is sometimes far more cheerful and hopeful than to be forty years old.” — Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr.
44. “It is the hopeful, buoyant, cheerful attitude of mind that wins. Optimism is a success builder, pessimism an achievement killer.” — Orison Swett Marden
45. “Life satisfaction essentially measures cheerful moods, so it is not entitled to a central place in any theory that aims to be more than a happiology.” — Martin Seligman
46. “Money is time. With money I buy for cheerful use the hours which otherwise would not in any sense be mine; nay, which would make me their miserable bondsman.” — George Gissing
47. “Some men are born old, and some men never seem so. If we keep well and cheerful, we are always young and at last die in youth even when in years would count as old.” — Tryon Edwards
48. “I am never so happy as when I am really engaged in good earnest, & it makes me must wonderfully cheerful & merry at other times, which is curious & very satisfactory.” — Ada Lovelace
49. “Curiosity endows the people who have it with a generosity in argument and a serenity in their own mode of life which springs from their cheerful willingness to let life take the form it will.” — Alistair Cooke
50. “Helped are those who create anything at all, for they shall relive the thrill of their own conception and realize a partnership in the creation of the Universe that keeps them responsible and cheerful.” — Alice Walker
There are lots of reasons to be cheerful
Being cheerful is literally good for our health.
It keeps us looking physically younger, and it has a profound positive effect on our hearts and minds.
World-renowned author Charles Dickens once opined that “Cheerfulness and contentment are great beautifiers, and are famous preservers of good looks.”
Aside from the vanity points being cheerful gives us, there are other benefits to choosing a cheerful attitude.
In life, we face limitations and obstacles.
What we focus on is often what we experience.
When our attention is aligned to what is not our preference, we experience more of that energy.
Toxic positivity is not the answer.
However, cheer can be used as a powerful tool to combat those limitations.
It is wise to remember that we cannot always choose our conditions, but we can always choose our attitude.
Cheerful attitudes allow us to find the silver linings in difficult situations.
Share your thoughts on being cheerful with us in the comment section below.
September 6, 2022 9:00 AM EST