If you enjoy highly-rated books, you will love these A Thousand Splendid Suns Quotes!
A Thousand Splendid Suns was written by Khaled Hosseini and published by Riverhead Books in 2007.
You might also enjoy these related articles:
Like his previous novel, The Kite Runner, A Thousand Splendid Suns became a New York Times Bestseller and was later adapted into a movie that premiered in 2017.
The book’s plot follows the story of two Afghan women and an Afghan man and their lives in contemporary Afghan society.
The two women are named Mariam and Laila.
Although they are nineteen years apart in age, at different points, they are forced to marry the same man named Rasheed.
Mariam is older and had been married to Rasheed for years when he married Laila and brought her into the household.
Look at these A Thousand Splendid Suns Quotes to learn more about this popular book.
Best A Thousand Splendid Suns Quotes
These quotes give you a glimpse into the story of Mariam and Laila.
1. “Marriage can wait, education cannot.” — Khaled Hosseini
2. “How quietly we endure all that falls upon us.” — Khaled Hosseini
3. “Tell your secret to the wind, but don’t blame it for telling the trees.” — Khaled Hosseini
4. “But time is the most unforgiving of fires, and she couldn’t, in the end, save it all.” — Khaled Hosseini
5. “Like a compass facing north, a man’s accusing finger always finds a woman. Always.” — Khaled Hosseini
6. “But Laila decided that she will not be crippled by resentment. Mariam wouldn’t want it that way.” — Khaled Hosseini
7. “People… shouldn’t be allowed to have new children if they’d already given away all their love to their old ones. It wasn’t fair.” — Khaled Hosseini
8. “Mariam is never very far…Mariam is in her heart, where she shines with the bursting radiance of a thousand suns.” — Khaled Hosseini
9. “And the past held only this wisdom: that love was a damaging mistake, and its accomplish, hope, a treacherous illusion.” — Khaled Hosseini
10. “One could not count the moons that shimmer on her roofs, or the thousand splendid suns that hide behind her walls.” — Khaled Hosseini
A Thousand Splendid Suns Quotes About Mariam and Laila
Learn more about the story’s characters in the following quotes.
11. “I will follow you to the ends of the world.” — Khaled Hosseini
12. “Laila has moved on. Because in the end, she knows that’s all she can do. That and hope.” — Khaled Hosseini
13. “Though there were moments of beauty, Mariam knew for the most part that life had been unkind to her.” — Khaled Hosseini
14. “You see, some things I can teach you. Some you learn from books. But there are things that, well, you have to see and feel.” — Khaled Hosseini
15. “Miriam wished for so much in those final moments. Yet as she closed her eyes, it was not regret any longer but a sensation of abundant peace that washed over her.” — Khaled Hosseini
16. “‘I’m sorry,’ Laila says, marveling at how every Afghan story is marked by death and loss and unimaginable grief. And yet, she sees, people find a way to survive, to go on.” — Khaled Hosseini
17. “She would never leave her mark on Mammu’s heart the way her brothers had because Mammy’s heart was like a pallid beach where Laila’s footprints would forever wash away beneath the waves of sorrow that swelled and crashed, swelled and crashed.” — Khaled Hosseini
You may also enjoy The Namesake quotes.
A Thousand Splendid Suns Quotes to Make You Think
Take a moment to see what you can learn from the following book quotes.
18. “You cannot stop you from being who you are.” — Khaled Hosseini
19. “Behind every trial and sorrow that He makes us shoulder, God has a reason.” — Khaled Hosseini
20. “A society has no chance of success if its women are uneducated, Laila. No chance.” — Khaled Hosseini
21. “Of all the hardships a person had to face, none was more punishing than the simple act of waiting.” — Khaled Hosseini
22. “Perhaps this is just punishment for those who have been heartless, to understand only when nothing can be undone.” — Khaled Hosseini
23. “You see, some things I can teach you. Some you learn from books. But there are things that, well, you have to see and feel.” — Khaled Hosseini
24. “Yet, love can move people to act in unexpected ways and move them to overcome the most daunting obstacles with startling heroism.” — Khaled Hosseini
25. “A woman who will be like a rock in a riverbed, enduring without complaint, her grace not sullied but shaped by the turbulence that washes over her.” — Khaled Hosseini
What Happens Between Mariam and Laila?
At first, Mariam is jealous of Laila and feels she is trying to take her position.
Still, gradually they become friends, and Mariam is even seen as a ‘mother’ to Laila.
After they are both physically and emotionally abused by Rasheed for years, Mariam kills Rasheed while he is strangling Laila and saves her life.
Mariam then tells Laila to run away before the Taliban executes her for killing Rasheed.
Please share these A Thousand Splendid Suns Quotes with your family and friends and post any comments about the book in the comment section below.