Our latest collection of overthinking quotes that will help you relax and get out of your own head.
Do you find yourself dwelling too much on your shortcomings, mistakes, and problems? Does your tendency to overthink everything hold you back from living a happy and fulfilling life?
Thinking too much about things can be dangerous to your health and well-being. It increases your risk of mental health problems, interferes with your ability to solve problems, and impairs the quality of your sleep. Also, when you over-analyze everything, you become less productive and end up in a constant state of anguish.
But the good news is, you can put an end to your negative thinking patterns. With consistent practice, you can learn to make good choices in a timely manner with less distress.
Start by paying attention to the way you think and acknowledge that some of your thoughts may be exaggeratedly negative. Instead of dwelling on your problems, focus on solutions. In addition, find time for self-reflection, practice mindfulness, and find ways to distract your mind from destructive thought patterns.
To help you regain control of your thoughts, below is our collection of inspirational, wise, and helpful overthinking quotes, overthinking sayings, and overthinking proverbs, collected from a variety of sources over the years. Enjoy!
Overthinking quotes on regaining control of your thoughts
1. “The more you overthink the less you will understand.” ― Habeeb Akande
2. “If you keep thinking about what you want to do or what you hope will happen, you don’t do it, and it won’t happen.” — Desiderius Erasmus
3. “The more you rationalize, the more you move farther away from your authentic self.” ― Shannon L. Alder
4. “Stop worrying about what tomorrow may bring. Focus on what you can control. Stay positive. Enjoy today. Expect good things to come”.— Karen Salmansohn
5. “Overthinking, also, best known as creating problems that are never there” ― David Sikhosana
6. “Put your thoughts to sleep. Do not let them cast a shadow over the moon of your heart. Let go of thinking.”.— Rumi
7. “Be careful not to appear obsessively intellectual. When intelligence fills up, it overflows a parody.” ― Criss Jami
8. “If you can’t sleep, then get up and do something instead of lying there and worrying. It’s the worry that gets you, not the loss of sleep.”— Dale Carnegie
9. “Overthinking will not empower you over things that are beyond your control. So, let it be if it is meant to be and cherish the moment.” ― Mahsati A
10. “Sometimes, you overthink things so much that you ruin something before it even begins, then you beat yourself up, replaying everything to your friends and in your mind.”— Kirsten Corley
Overthinking quotes to help you relax
11. “Don’t overanalyze what you see. I have a feeling that you’re over-thinking things. Give it some time, and the pieces of this puzzle might come together.” ― Jessica Park
12. “Don’t think. It complicates things. Just feel, and if it feels like home, then follow its path.”— R.M. Drake
13. “Overthinking ruins friendships and relationships. Overthinking creates problems you never had. Don’t overthink, just overflow with good vibes”.— Anonymous
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of good vibes quotes about feeling good.
14. “Stop overthinking, put more energy on what you really want to do.” ― Amit Ray
15. “Take time to deliberate, but when the time for action comes, stop thinking and go in’ – Napoléon Bonaparte
16. “Don’t keep things bottled up. It’s not good for you.” ― Kody Keplinger
17. “I think and think and think, I‘ve thought myself out of happiness one million times, but never once into it.” – Jonathan Safran Foer
18. “Your addiction to thinking will come back to haunt you.” ― Natsume Sōseki
19. “Worrying is like sitting in a rocking chair. It gives you something to do but it doesn’t get you anywhere” – Emma Bombeck
20. “Don’t overthink yourself out of something good!” ― Akosua Dardaine Edwards
Overthinking quotes that will make you mentally strong
21. “The more I think about it, the more I realize that overthinking isn’t the real problem. The real problem is that we don’t trust.” ― L.J. Vanier
22. “Stop thinking, and end your problems.” – Lao Tzu
23. “You can’t be that kid standing at the top of the waterslide, overthinking it. You have to go down the chute” ― Tina Fey
24. “The primary cause of unhappiness is never the situation, but your thoughts about it. Be aware of the thoughts you are thinking.” – Eckhart Tolle
25. “You know, it is a little known fact that thinking is entirely overrated. The world would be a much better place if we all did a lot less of it.” ― Laurie Viera Rigler
26. “Overthinking ruins moods and kills good vibes.” – SupaNova Slom
27. “I’m too open-minded that I don’t know what to mind anymore.” ― Ahmed Mostafa
28. “Don’t overthink things. Sometimes you can convince your head not to listen to your heart. Those are the decisions you regret for the rest of your life.” – Leah Braemel
29. “We are dying from overthinking. We are slowly killing ourselves by thinking about everything. Think. Think. Think. You can never trust the human mind anyway. It’s a death trap.” – Anthony Hopkins
30. “If you spend too much time thinking about a thing, you’ll never get it done.” –Bruce Lee
Overthinking quotes to help you quiet the constant barrage of thoughts
31. “Most misunderstandings in the world could be avoided if people would simply take the time to ask, “What else could this mean?” ― Shannon L. Alder
32. “Thinking too much leads to paralysis by analysis. It’s important to think things through, but many use thinking as a means of avoiding action.” ― Robert Herjavec
33. “To think too much is a disease.” ― Fyodor Dostoyevsky
34. “The sharpest minds often ruin their lives by overthinking the next step, while the dull win the race with eyes closed.” ― Bethany Brookbank
35. “Too much thinking leads to paralysis by analysis.” ― Robert Herjavec
36. “Don’t get too deep, it leads to overthinking, and over thinking leads to problems that don’t even exist in the first place.” ― Jayson Engay
37. “Overthinking. A powerful drug of mentality.” ― A.M.L.
38. “Overthinking evaporates when you feel connected with your body, mind, breath and the soul.” ― Amit Ray
39. “Less thinking, more living.” ― S.R. Crawford
40. “Overthinking arises when you unconsciously provoke negative emotions and thoughts and avoid positive emotions and thoughts.” ― Amit Ray
More overthinking quotes to inspire you
41. “Don”t gaze too hard at your belly button Or you will unexpectedly hit rock bottom!” ― Ana Claudia Antunes
42. “Overthinking uses energy and leads to activity with no action. That is one particular problem many will face. Questology is the answer to cure this cancer.” ― Thomas Vato
43. “Stop overthinking. You can do it.” ― Avina Celeste
44. “Thoughts are like an open ocean, they can either move you forward within its waves, or sink you under deep into its abyss.” – Anthony Liccione
45. “To end hunger of overthinking, you need to eat positive attitude and happiness.” ― Genereux Philip
46. “Don’t think. Thinking is the enemy of creativity. It’s self-conscious, and anything self-conscious is lousy. You can’t try to do things. You simply must do things.” — Ray Bradbury
47. “When you lose your ego, you win. It really is that simple.” ― Shannon L. Alder
48. “The trouble with most people is that they think with their hopes or fears or wishes rather than with their minds.” – Will Durant
49. “Thinking has, many a time, made me sad, darling; but doing never did in all my life… My precept is, “Do something, my sister, do good if you can; but, at any rate, do something”.– Elizabeth Gaskell
50. “If you’re stressing over happiness, you’re doing it wrong!” ― Shannon L. Alder
51. “Overthinking is often a product of underdoing.” – Yehuda Berg
52. “While you were overthinking, you missed everything worth feeling.” – Nitya Prakash
53. “When you overthink you originate obstacles that never existed.” – Amit Kalantri
54. “Once you start overthinking it, it’s like it ain’t a feeling no more.” – Dreezy
55. “We were made to be distracted by life, by story.” – Donald Miller
Did these overthinking quotes help you?
Thinking too much about things can take a serious toll on the quality of life you live. Whether you struggle to get things done because each choice you make takes up too much of your time, or you can’t stop worrying about how you’re going to succeed tomorrow, overthinking can bring you down.
The good news is, you can take steps to put an end to overthinking. Though it’s easier said than done, with constant practice, you can find ways to quiet the constant barrage of thoughts.
Did you enjoy these overthinking quotes? Which of the quotes was your favorite? Let us know in the comment section below.
May 5, 2019 7:00 AM EST