If you are a military veteran or know someone who is, then you will love and appreciate these Army quotes!
The United States Army is the oldest branch of the U.S. Military and was founded in 1775 and was originally called the Continental Army.
The mission of the Army is to preserve peace and security for the United States, defend against any threats to the country, and support national policies.
The Army is the land service branch of the United States Military and is one of eight uniformed military branches.
The Department of the Army is one of three military departments of the Department of Defense and consists of the:
- Regular Army
- Army National Guard
- U.S. Army Reserve
Take a few moments to read these Army quotes to learn more about this impressive military branch.
Inspirational Army Quotes
As you read these quotes about the army, allow them to inspire you.
1. “It is fatal to enter a war without the will to win it.” — Douglas MacArthur
2. “War is too important to be left to the generals.” — Georges Clémenceau
3. “I destroy my enemies when I make them my friends.” — Abraham Lincoln
4. “I am a Soldier, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight.” — George S. Patton
5. “War doesn’t only kill humans; it also kills love, trust, and relations!” — Mouloud Benzadi
6. “This will remain the land of the free so long as it is the home of the brave.” — Elmer Davis
7. “If a man hasn’t discovered something that he will die for, he isn’t fit to live.” — Martin Luther King Jr.
8. “I am not afraid of an Army of lions led by a sheep; I am afraid of sheep led by a lion.” — Alexander the Great
9. “It doesn’t take a hero to order men into battle. It takes a hero to be one of those men who goes into battle.” — Norman Schwarzkopf
10. “People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.” — Richard Grenier
Army Quotes to Thank Those Who Serve
Much appreciation goes from us to those who serve and who have served.
11. “The Army is the true nobility of our country.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
12. “The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph.” — Thomas Paine
13. “To be in the Army, you need to be smart or strong.” — Joseph Perry Grassi
14. “He loves his country best who strives to make it best.” — Robert G. Ingersoll
15. “United a herd is an army; divided a herd is fair game.” — Matshona Dhliwayo
16. “Brave men rejoice in adversity, just as brave soldiers triumph in war.” — Lucius Annaeus Seneca
17. “America’s fighting men and women sacrifice much to ensure that our great nation stays free.” — Allen Boyd
18. “All of the real heroes are not storybook combat fighters either. Every single man in this Army plays a vital role.” — George S. Patton
19. “On the battlefield, the military pledges to leave no soldier behind. As a nation, let it be our pledge that when they return home, we leave no veteran behind.” — Dan Lipinski
20. “And we’ll both say, ‘Remember when the band played on the 4th of July, and you held me on your shoulders way up high?’ You’re still there for me, wherever there might be, and if an ocean lies between us, I’ll send a message across the sea.” — Hannah Montana
Classic Army Quotes From General George S. Patton
As one of the greatest generals in U.S. Army history, Patton has many quotes on the Army.
21. “Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way.” — George S. Patton
22. “A pint of sweat will save a gallon of blood.” — George S. Patton
23. “An army is a team. It lives, eats, sleeps, fights as a team.” — George S. Patton
24. “The soldier is the Army. No Army is better than its soldiers.” — George S. Patton
25. “Urge all of your men to pray, not alone in church, but everywhere.” — George S. Patton
26. “War is an art and as such is not susceptible of explanation by fixed formula.” — George S. Patton
27. “Pray for our Army, and Pray for Peace. We must march together, all out for God.” — George S. Patton
28. “Don’t tell people how to do things; tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results.” — George S. Patton
29. “Give me an Army of West Point graduates, and I’ll win a battle. Give me a handful of Texas Aggies, and I’ll win a war.” — George S. Patton
30. “Achievers are resolute in their goals and driven by determination. Discouragement is temporary, obstacles are overcome, and doubt is defeated, yielding to personal victory.” — George S. Patton
Army Quotes From Dwight D. Eisenhower
Here are some great Army-focused quotes from Dwight D. Eisenhower.
31. “The sergeant is the Army.” — Dwight D. Eisenhower
32. “Peace and justice are two sides of the same coin.” — Dwight D. Eisenhower
33. “What counts is not necessarily the size of the dog in the fight – it’s the size of the fight in the dog.” — Dwight D. Eisenhower
34. “We must never let the weight of this combination endanger our liberties or democratic processes.” — Dwight D. Eisenhower
35. “My ambition in the Army was to make everybody I worked for regretful when I was ordered to other duty.” — Dwight D. Eisenhower
36. “Our military organization today bears little relation to that known by any of my predecessors in peacetime.” — Dwight D. Eisenhower
37. “Leadership is the art of getting someone else to do something you want done because he wants to do it.” — Dwight D. Eisenhower
38. “In preparing for battle, I have always found that plans are useless, but planning is indispensable.” — Dwight D. Eisenhower
39. “I hate war as only a soldier who has lived it can, only as one who has seen its brutality, its futility, its stupidity.” — Dwight D. Eisenhower
40. “Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies in the final sense a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed.” — Dwight D. Eisenhower
Iconic Army Quotes From George Washington
Enjoy these Army quotes from a well-known army general and the first President of the U.S.
41. “Your country is at stake, your wives, your houses, and all that you hold dear.” — George Washington
42. “There is nothing so likely to produce peace as to be well prepared to meet an enemy.” — George Washington
43. “Overgrown military establishments are under any form of government inauspicious to liberty.” — George Washington
44. “Discipline is the soul of an Army. It makes small numbers formidable; procures success to all of the weak, and esteem to all.” — George Washington
45. “The reflection upon my Situation, & that of this Army, produces many an uneasy hour when all around me are wrapped in Sleep.” — George Washington
46. “Three things prompt men to a regular discharge of their duty in time of action: natural bravery, hope of reward, and fear of punishment.” — George Washington
47. “Military arrangement, and movements in consequence, like the mechanism of a clock, will be imperfect and disordered by the want of a part.” — George Washington
48. “Safety and interest require that they should promote such manufactories as tend to render them independent of others for essential, particularly military, supplies.” — George Washington
49. “Security of the payment of all the just demands of the Army will be the most certain means of preserving the National faith & future tranquility of this extensive Continent.” — George Washington
50. “The willingness with which our young people are likely to serve in any war, no matter how justified, shall be directly proportional to how they perceive the Veterans of earlier wars were treated and appreciated by their nation.” — George Washington
Some U.S. Army Facts
Here are some more fun facts about the Army:
- Founded on June 14, 1775
- The mascot is Army Mules
- The motto is “This We’ll Defend”
- Basic training consists of 10 weeks
- Headed by the Secretary of the Army (SECARMY)
- Headquartered at The Pentagon in Arlington, Virginia
- Advanced Individualized Training ranges from 14 to 20 weeks, depending on your Military Occupational Specialty
Tell us your favorite Army quote in the comment section!
And please share these army quotes with others by clicking the share button!
Check out these related lifestyle articles:
What areas of your life do you want to improve? In our life skills section, we talk about time management, emotional management, stress management, mindset, productivity, soft skills, communication skills and overcoming obstacles.
Confused or wondering about what to do next in life? These five steps can help you on your way to figuring out your next steps.
Love random facts? Then you will love this list of exciting information about everyday objects that could, one day, save your life.
Want to have a legacy of strength and superhero status? Here are eight steps to becoming your own superhero and achieving personal growth.
Check out these related quote articles:
Learn to fly and soar into the adult you want to be, with these inspirational quotes for kids.
These quotes about relationships will inspire you to appreciate the special person in your life even more.
The human spirit has an unwavering ability to overcome, as seen in these challenge quotes.
Words of wisdom are helpful to anyone looking to get inspired through words that are as powerful as they are meaningful.