As people, we almost can’t help but make assumptions, but these assumption quotes point out how they can be problematic.
What do I mean when I say we almost can’t help it?
You see, according to Dr. David McCormick (from the Yale School of Medicine) our brains require an immense amount of energy to function.
He states “There are over one hundred billion cells in our brain and each of them makes over ten thousand connections with other brain cells.
While the large number of possible combinations of cell connections allows for higher-ordered thinking, this is a big problem evolutionarily in terms of energy cost.”
The reason we make assumptions is that our brain had to come up with a way to efficiently process situations and information.
It is nearly an automatic process for many situations in our lives.
Even though certain assumptions are nearly impossible to avoid, there are reasons why we should avoid them when we can.
These assumption quotes illustrate why you should never assume things, so keep reading!
Don’t forget to also check out these positive thinking quotes for a new perspective.
If you enjoy this article, check out our most popular quote article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily motivation.
Browse our entire collection of inspirational quotes for more motivating ideas and concepts.
Thought-provoking assumption quotes
1. “Assumptions close doors. Intrigue opens them.” ― Sam Owen
2. “Assumptions equal a loss of pride and the sting of defeat.” ― Donna Lynn Hope
You will also enjoy our article on arrogant quotes.
3. “Assuming less does not make you naive, it makes you a better listener.” ― Terry A O’Neal
4. “Be careful of what you assume, what you assume often becomes what you consume.” ― Constance Friday
5. “Incorrect assumptions lie at the root of every failure. Have the courage to test your assumptions.” ― Brian Tracy
6. “Sometimes our bad feelings are only assumptions and speculations doing dark dances in our heads.” ― Bonnie Lyn Smith
7. “It’s always your assumptions about you, about others, about future that make reality worse than it actually is.” ― Dragos Bratasanu
8. “Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won’t come in.” ― Isaac Asimov
9. “Assumptions are unopened windows that foolish birds fly into, and their broken bodies are evidence gathered too late.” ― Bryan Davis
10. “Every time we make assumptions about what other people feel, do or think, we imprison them and us in a separate reality.” ― Franco Santoro
Assumption quotes about assuming things
11. “An assumption is the joke; truth the punchline.” ― Criss Jami
12. “Assumption is the mother of the screw-up.” — Angelo Donghia
13. “Taking any assumptions into study is bad science.” ― Lewis N. Roe
14. “You can’t make assumptions when you’re dealing with health issues.” ― Adam Clayton
15. “Your assumptions are always wrong. Even a one rupee coin have two sides.” ― Allan Bridjith
16. “Never ASSUME, because when you ASSUME, you make an ASS of U and ME.” — Felix Unger
17. “There was no Jedi so wise that he could not be undone by his own assumptions.” ― Claudia Gray
18. “The assumption that humans could be a reliable back-up for the system was a total fallacy.” ― Astro Teller
19. “Assuming things is the equivalent of sleepwalking blindfolded on a cliff edge fully expecting a safety net to be there to break the fall should you topple over the precipice.” ― Stewart Stafford
20. “Assumptions are dangerous things to make, and like all dangerous things to make―bombs, for instance, or strawberry shortcake―if you make even the tiniest mistake you can find yourself in terrible trouble.” ― Lemony Snicket
Assumption quotes about life
21. “Assumptions allow the best in life to pass you by.” ― John Sales
22. “We make the assumption that everyone sees life the way we do.” — Miguel Angel Ruiz
23. “Having our fundamental assumptions about life challenged is never a comfortable thing.” ― Maajid Nawaz
24. “Men can only be happy when they don’t not assume that the object of life is happiness.” — George Orwell
25. “She decided to see how her life would change if she dropped the assumption she needed fixing.” — Unknown
26. “We all make basic assumptions about things in life, but sometimes those assumptions are wrong.” ― Darren Shan
27. “Cast aside any predictions or assumptions that you have about life – what you think is going to happen never does.” — Stewart Stafford
28. “How would your life be different if…You stopped making negative judgmental assumptions about people you encounter?” ― Steve Maraboli
29. “Invite people into your life who don’t look or act like you. You might find they challenge your assumptions and make you grow.” — Mellody Hobson
30. “I have learned throughout my life as a composer chiefly through my mistakes and pursuits of false assumptions, not by my exposure to founts of wisdom and knowledge.” — Igor Stravinsky
Assumption quotes about relationships
31. “In relationships it is best to assume nothing.” — Jessica Zafra
32. “Assumptions are the termites of relationships.” — Henry Winkler
33. “Never assume that the guy understands that you and he have a relationship” — Dave Barry
34. “Assumption and lack of communication are the number one relationship killers.” — Unknown
35. “No one ever gets tired of loving. But everyone gets tired of waiting, assuming, hearing lies, and hurting.” — Megan Fox
36. “The fall of relationships draws from assumptions, what is not known, and acceptance of what is not seen.” — Joshua Brand
37. “Love can only consist in failure…on the fallacious assumption that it is a relationship. But it is not. It is a production of truth.” — Alain Badiou
38. “The most hurtful thing to me is when people try to put assumptions on me and my relationship because that is not OK.” — Gigi Hadid
39. “Don’t hesitate to open up to the ones you love… Don’t let them make assumptions… tell them how you feel… for the words left unspoken often break hearts… and break relationships too.” — Neena Gupta
40. “Everyone declares that love is irrational, and yet every time this statement is proven correct, they profess amazement. They seem to assume that love will make an exception in their case. It never does.” — Jessica Zafra
Assumption quotes about never assuming anything
41. “One should never assume anything” — Dick Francis
42. “Never assume someone is smarter than you.” — Bethenny Frankel
43. “Never assume you understand. Ask the questions.” — Brian Tracy
44. “Never assume you are alone, because you never truly are.” — Mandi Lynn
45. “Never assume you know where someone else is coming from.” — Blake Crouch
46. “I never assume anything. I anticipate the possibilities and allow my imagination to create the future.” — Lionel Suggs
47. “Never assume people’s motives. It’s the easiest way to find yourself upset over nothing or misjudging people.” — LeCrae
48. “Regarding the creative: never assume you’re the master, only the student. Your audience will determine if you’re masterful.” — Don Roff
49. “Never assume you can survive the future because you’ve survived the past. Everyone thinks that, and they’ve all been wrong eventually.” — Daniel Abraham
50. “All too often arrogance accompanies strength, and we must never assume that justice is on the side of the strong. The use of power must always be accompanied by moral choice.” — Theodore Bikel
Assumption Quotes To Help You Let Them Go
51. “The most misleading assumptions are the ones you don’t even know you’re making.” — Douglas Adams
52. “Most deadly errors arise from obsolete assumptions.” — Frank Herbert
53. “The harder you fight to hold on to specific assumptions, the more likely there’s gold in letting go of them.” — John Seely Brown
54. “Next to the assumption of power was the responsibility of relinquishing it.” — Benjamin Disraeli
55. “Ignorance is brought about by assumption.” — T. D. Jakes
56. “The problem with assumptions is that we believe they are the truth.” — Miguel Angel Ruiz
57. “The assumption of an absolute determinism is the essential foundation of every scientific enquiry.” — Max Planck
58. “You must stick to your conviction, but be ready to abandon your assumptions.” — Denis Waitley
59. “Until we know the assumptions in which we are drenched, we cannot know ourselves.” — Adrienne Rich
60. “The way to keep yourself from making assumptions is to ask questions.” — Miguel Angel Ruiz
So what is the deal with assumptions?
So, is it a good or a bad thing to make assumptions?
It really isn’t that cut and dry!
You see, making an assumption helps you to make a decision.
Making a decision is infinitely better than not making one—even if you end up making a “bad” one!
Look at it this way if you were in a dangerous situation and you made an assumption based on previous experiences in a split second and it saved your life you would be grateful.
If you were unable to process the rapid information and couldn’t make a decision, then something might happen to you.
The reason we think of assumptions as bad is that our brain often lumps information together and we can get it wrong.
Just because a current situation feels like a past one, doesn’t mean they are the same.
If in your past relationships your partner always lied to you, then you might assume a new partner is doing the same thing.
This can make it hard to move on, and you might ruin a good thing.
What are some of your thoughts on assumptions?
Do you have any other assumption quotes and sayings to share?
Use the comment section below and let us know!