These good luck quotes will help you better understand luck and uplift you when you’re feeling ill-fated.
Wishing someone good luck can be a gesture of goodwill, but what does it mean to be lucky? The intent behind saying “good luck” is to express wishes for success, but there are other ways to wish people well.
What can you say instead of “good luck?” How can you wish someone well without actually using the words good luck? These good luck quotes will help answer these questions, while also attempting to explain what it means to be lucky.
Is it really necessary to throw that salt over your shoulder? Maybe being “lucky” is just another word for hard work and determination!
Below is our collection of inspirational, wise, and memorable good luck quotes and sayings, collected from various sources over they years.
Also check out these powerful fate quotes and sayings to help you take control.
Good luck quotes about hard work
1. “It’s hard to detect good luck – it looks so much like something you’ve earned.” – Frank A. Clark
2. “I don’t rely on feng shui. I believe hard work brings us good luck and success.” – John Gokongwei
3. “To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream; not only plan, but also believe.” – Anatole France
4. “Luck? I don’t know anything about luck. I’ve never banked on it and I’m afraid of people who do. Luck to me is something else: Hard work – and realizing what is opportunity and what isn’t.” – Lucille Ball
5. “You are never given a wish without also being given the power to make it come true. You may have to work for it, however.” – Richard Bach
6. “Shallow men believe in luck. Strong men believe in cause and effect.” –Ralph Waldo Emerson
7. “Luck is not chance, it’s toil; fortune’s expensive smile is earned.” – Emily Dickinson
8. “The only good luck many great men ever had was being born with the ability and determination to overcome bad luck.” – Channing Pollock
9. “Luck marches with those who give their very best.” – H. Jackson Brown, Jr.
10. “Good luck is the twin brother of hard work.” – Unknown
11. “Put P before the word “Luck” and you have the password to the attainment of all your desires.” – Walter Matthews
12. “When it comes to luck you make your own.” – Bruce Springsteen
13. “A pound of pluck is worth a ton of luck.” – James A. Garfield
Clever good luck quotes
14. “I think we consider too much the good luck of the early bird and not enough the bad luck of the early worm.” – Franklin D. Roosevelt
15. “Diligence is the mother of good luck.” – Benjamin Franklin
16. “When it comes to the future, there are three kinds of people: those who let it happen, those who make it happen, and those who wonder what happened.” – John M. Richardson
17. “For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can.” – Ernest Hemingway
18. “Every day a piano doesn’t fall on my head is good luck.” – Meg Rosoff
19. “Luck’s always to blame.” – Jean de La Fontaine
20. “Most of us regard good luck as our right, and bad luck as a betrayal of that right.” – William Feather
21. “Good luck has its storms.” – George Lucas
22. “Nothing is as obnoxious as other people’s luck.” – F. Scott Fitzgerald
23. “You never know what worse luck your bad luck has saved you from.” – Cormac McCarthy
24. “The powerless worship Luck and Fate.” – Mason Cooley
25. “An ounce of luck is worth a pound of wisdom.” – French Proverb
26. “Luck has two sides. One you can control–and one you can also control.” – Nick Offerman
Good luck quotes on what it really means
27. “Luck is everything… My good luck in life was to be a really frightened person. I’m fortunate to be a coward, to have a low threshold of fear, because a hero couldn’t make a good suspense film.” – Alfred Hitchcock
28. “Good luck is when opportunity meets preparation, while bad luck is when lack of preparation meets reality.” – Eliyahu Goldratt
29. “Luck is yours wishes are mine. Let your future always shine. Best of Luck.” – Ralph Chaplin
30. “Good luck is a residue of preparation.” – Jack Youngblood
31. “Here’s the thing about luck…you don’t know if it’s good or bad until you have some perspective.”― Alice Hoffman
32. “Luck is a very thin wire between survival and disaster, and not many people can keep their balance on it.” – Hunter S. Thompson
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to check out our collection of Hunter S. Thompson quotes from journalist and author.
33. “The meeting of preparation with opportunity generates the offspring we call luck.” – Tony Robbins
34. “Good luck needs no explanation.” – Shirley Temple
35. “I feel that luck is preparation meeting opportunity.” – Oprah Winfrey
36. “Luck is an accident that happens to the competent.” – Albert M. Greenfield
37. “Luck’s just another word for destiny … either you make your own or you’re screwed.” – John Le Carre
Good luck quotes and wishes
38. “Best wishes to you as you progress from one stage in life to another. While this can be a difficult time, the results that you will achieve are worth all of the hard work that you will put in.” – Rajesh Mankar
39. “Here is the best wish for the new year: Let there be more freedom of thought throughout the world! Fields need rain; truths need freedom of thought.” – Mehmet Murat ildan
40. “If we had one wish for you on this special day it would be: May the best of your past be the worst of your future.” – Catherine Pulsifer
41. “You’re off to great places! Today is your day. Your mountain is waiting. So get on your way.” – Dr. Seuss
42. “Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined.” – Henry David Thoreau
43. “Take the first step in faith. You don’t have to see the whole staircase, just take the first step.” – Martin Luther King, Jr.
Good luck quotes to strengthen your belief
44. “Luck has a way of evaporating when you lean on it.”― Brandon Mull
45. “What’s happened in my career is probably fate and good luck.” – Pruitt Taylor Vince
46. “Being famous is complete luck, and that’s something you can’t bank on.” – Bo Burnham
47. “Nobody ever told me, ‘Art is this.’ This was good luck in a way because I would have had to spend half of my life forgetting everything that I had been told, which is what happens with most students in schools of fine arts.” – Fernando Botero
48. “Luck always seems like it belongs to someone else.” – David Levien, City of the Sun
49. “We must believe in luck. For how else can we explain the success of those we don’t like?” – JeanCocteau, attributed, Forbes, 1985
50. “After hard work, the biggest determinate is being in the right place at the right time.” – Michael Bloomberg (see more Michael Bloomberg quotes)
What did you learn from these good luck quotes?
I don’t think I am an overly superstitious person, but I don’t shy away from helping my luck along. I try not to get too envious of others when lady luck seems to be giving them her favor, instead, I attempt to work a little harder. I used to carry a rabbit’s foot around when I was younger, but I gave that up when I realized that it wasn’t fortunate for the poor bunny!
This theatre saying is used today to wish theatre performers good luck without actually saying that unlucky phrase. “Break a leg” is based on the “leg line,” an area in the wings that was marked so actors would know when the audience could see them. Any performer who crossed the leg line and appeared in front of the audience would get paid. Thus, people wished actors would break a leg in hopes they would pass the line and get their paycheck.
Do you feel like luck is on your side? Or are you one of these people who wouldn’t have any luck at all if it wasn’t for good luck? Leave a comment and let us know which one of these good luck quotes and sayings was your favorite!