Maintaining a consistent workout routine can be difficult.
We have compiled 50 of the best gym quotes to help you stay inspired while you exercise.
What relationship do you have with the gym?
Bringing exercise into your daily routine requires mental toughness as well as physical toughness.
The fears of failure or injury are tough to deal with.
It takes a lot of courage to persevere despite what may go wrong.
In the quotes below, we have brought together quotes from some of the most amazing minds in the fitness industry, including professional athletes and trainers.
Through their perspectives, we hope to bring you the inspiration you need to keep striding forward towards your fitness goals.
We hope you enjoy the quotes on exercising, failure, perseverance, and more below!
Don’t forget to also read these workout motivation quotes for the best workout ever.
Check out our most popular quote article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily inspiration.
Our inspirational quotes category page has all of our motivational quotes for all the different areas of life.
Motivational gym quotes
1. “Be patient and tough; someday this pain will be useful to you.” – Ovid
You will also enjoy our article on Joe Dirt quotes.
2. “Feed your fitness. Starve your mediocrity.” – Krystal Breakley
You will also enjoy our article on consistency quotes.
3. “If something stands between you and your success, move it. Never be denied.” – Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson
You will also enjoy our article on Fitness Motivational Quotes.
4. “You have to push past your perceived limits, push past that point you thought was as far as you can go.” – Drew Brees
5. “A year from now you may wish you had started today.¨ – Karen Lamb
6. “You dream. You plan. You reach. There will be obstacles. There will be doubters. There will be mistakes. But with hard work, with belief, with confidence and trust in yourself and those around you, there are no limits.” – Michael Phelps
7. “Enduring means accepting. Accepting things as they are and not as you would wish them to be, and then looking ahead, not behind.” – Rafael Nadal
8. “Action is the foundational key to all success.” – Pablo Picasso
9. “All progress takes place outside the comfort zone.” – Michal Joan Bobak
10. “When you have a clear vision of your goal, it’s easier to take the first step toward it.” – LL Cool J
11. “Some people want it to happen, some wish it would happen, others make it happen.” – Michael Jordan
12. ¨Get comfortable with being uncomfortable!¨ – Jillian Michaels
13. “We must appreciate and never underestimate our own inner power.” – Noah Galloway
14. “You miss one hundred percent of the shots you don’t take.” – Wayne Gretzky
15. “The successful warrior is the average man, with laser-like focus.” – Bruce Lee
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of Bruce Lee quotes from the iconic actor and fighter.
Gym quotes about failure
16. “Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.” ― Vince Lombardi Jr.
17. “If you’re afraid of failure, you don’t deserve success.” – Nastia Liukin
18. “Success is usually the culmination of controlling failure.” – Sylvester Stallone
19. “Don’t be afraid of failure. This is the way to succeed.” – LeBron James
20. “Most people give up right before the big break comes — don’t let that person be you.” – Michael Boyle
21. “You’re going to have to let it hurt. Let it suck. The harder you work, the better you will look. Your appearance isn’t parallel to how heavy you lift, it’s parallel to how hard you work.” – Joe Manganiello
22. “Failure is an option here. If things are not failing, you’re not innovating enough.” – Elon Musk
23. ¨Sometimes you don’t realize your own strength until you come face to face with your greatest weakness.¨ – Susan Gale
24. “When we give ourselves permission to fail, we, at the same time, give ourselves permission to excel.” – Eloise Ristad
25. “Failure is the condiment that gives success its flavor.” – Truman Capote
26. “The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.” – Elbert Hubbard.
Gym quotes about working out and exercise
27. “Your current body is the only body that can take you to your new body so be kind to it.” – Elaine Moran
28. “The real workout starts when you want to stop.” – Ronnie Coleman
29. “The resistance that you fight physically in the gym and the resistance that you fight in life can only build a strong character.” – Arnold Schwarzenegger
30. “When it comes to health and well-being, regular exercise is about as close to a magic potion as you can get.” – Thich Nhat Hanh
31. “Your health account, your bank account, they’re the same thing. The more you put in, the more you can take out. Exercise is king and nutrition is queen. Together you have a kingdom.” – Jack LaLanne
32. “Movement is a medicine for creating change in a person’s physical, emotional, and mental states.” – Carol Welch
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of movement quotes for fitness inspiration.
33. “Physical fitness is not only one of the most important keys to a healthy body, it is the basis of dynamic and creative intellectual activity.” – John F. Kennedy
34. “Exercise should be regarded as a tribute to the heart.” – Gene Tunney
35. “The last three or four reps is what makes the muscle grow. This area of pain divides a champion from someone who is not a champion.” – Arnold Schwarzenegger
36. ¨Exercise is labor without weariness.¨ – Samuel Johnson
37. “Exercise to stimulate, not to annihilate. The world wasn’t formed in a day, and neither were we. Set small goals and build upon them.” – Lee Haney
38. “Lack of activity destroys the good condition of every human being, while movement and methodical physical exercise save it and preserve it.” – Plato
39. “It is exercise alone that supports the spirits, and keeps the mind in vigor.” – Marcus Tullius Cicero
40. “Walking: the most ancient exercise and still the best modern exercise.” – Carrie Latet
If you’re enjoying these quotes, you’ll love our collection of exercise quotes to inspire long term thinking.
Gym quotes about perseverance
41. “I have nothing in common with lazy people who blame others for their lack of success. Great things come from hard work and perseverance. No excuses.” – Kobe Bryant
42. ¨Tough times don’t last. Tough people do.¨ – Robert H. Schuller
43. ¨Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment.¨ – Jim Rohn
44. “Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.” – John Muir
45. “Never stop fighting until you arrive at your destined place – that is, the unique you. Have an aim in life, continuously acquire knowledge, work hard, and have perseverance to realise the great life.” – A. P. J. Abdul Kalam
46. “I do not think that there is any other quality so essential to success of any kind as the quality of perseverance. It overcomes almost everything, even nature.” – John D. Rockefeller
47. “Through perseverance many people win success out of what seemed destined to be certain failure.” – Benjamin Disraeli
48. “Perseverance is an active principle, and cannot continue to operate but under the influence of desire.” – William Godwin
49. “In general, any form of exercise, if pursued continuously, will help train us in perseverance. Long-distance running is particularly good training in perseverance.” – Mao Zedong
50. “Grit is that ‘extra something’ that separates the most successful people from the rest. It’s the passion, perseverance, and stamina that we must channel in order to stick with our dreams until they become a reality.” – Travis Bradberry
More Gym quotes and sayings
51. “Health is worth more than learning.” – Thomas Jefferson
52. “You get out what you put in. If you want more, give more.” – Jeanette Jenkins
53. “Your mind is the strongest and most valuable muscle you can grow in the gym.” – Greg Plitt
54. “For me, life is continuously being hungry. The meaning of life is not simply to exist, to survive, but to move ahead, to go up, to achieve, to conquer.” – Arnold Schwarzenegger
55. “If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.” – Bruce Lee
56. “Strength is the product of struggle, you must do what others don’t to achieve what others won’t.” – Henry Rollins
57. “I hated every minute of training, but I said, ‘Don’t quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.” – Muhammad Ali
58. “Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.” – Mahatma Gandhi
59. “To be a champ you have to believe in yourself when no one else will.” – Sugar Ray Robinson
60. “I’ve failed over and over and over again in my life and that is why I succeed.” – Michael Jordan
Gym Quotes To Keep You Motivated
61. “Fitness is not about being better than someone else. It’s about being better than you used to be.” — Khloe Kardashian
62. “Don’t train to be skinny. Train to be a badass.” — Demi Lovato
63. “To enjoy the glow of good health, you must exercise.” — Gene Tunney
64. “Once you are exercising regularly, the hardest thing is to stop it.” — Erin Gray
65. “If you aren’t hurting after a good workout then obviously you haven’t done something right.” — Mark W. Boyer
66. “If you don’t make time for exercise, you’ll probably have to make time for illness.” — Robin Sharma
67. “The mind is the most important part of achieving any fitness goal. Mental change always comes before physical change.” — Matt McGorry
68. “Bodybuilding is much like any other sport. To be successful, you must dedicate yourself 100% to your training, diet, and mental approach.” — Arnold Schwarzenegger
69. “The pain you feel today will be the strength you feel tomorrow.” — Arnold Schwarzenegger
70. “Physical fitness is the first requisite of happiness.” — Joseph Pilates
Favorite Gym Quotes From Health Coaches, Athletes, and Celebrities
71. “If it doesn’t challenge you, it doesn’t change you.” — Fred DeVito
72. “I don’t run to add days to my life, I run to add life to my days.” — Ronald Rook
73. “Today I will do what others won’t, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can’t.” – Jerry Rice
74. “Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength.” — Arnold Schwarzenegger
75. Whatever muscles I have are the product of my own hard work and nothing else. — Evelyn Ashford
76. A muscle is like a car. If you want it to run well early in the morning, you have to warm it up.
— Florence Griffith Joyner
77. “Muscles come and go. Flab lasts.” — Bill Vaughan
78. “You really have to have some muscle to be on the stage in front of the world.” — Billy Crystal
79. “Nobody gets muscles by watching ME lift weights.” — Arnold Schwarzenegger
80. Just because your muscles start to protest, doesn’t mean you have to listen. — Dianne Holum
Gym Quotes To Keep You Working Out
81. “Being defeated is often a temporary condition. Giving up is what makes it permanent.” ― Marilyn vos Savant
82. “Everybody wants to be a bodybuilder, but don’t nobody wanna lift no heavy ass weight.” ― Ronnie Coleman
83. “I want to go to the gym every day otherwise I feel really bad. I just want to get more toned and healthy.” ― Lily Allen
84. “Bodybuilding isn’t 90 minutes in the gym..it’s a lifestyle.” ― Lee Priest
85. “Take care of your body. It’s the only place you have to live.” ― Jim Rohn
86. “No man has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training.” ― Socrates
87. “You want me to do something… tell me I can’t do it.” ― Maya Angelou
88. “A man’s health can be judged by which he takes two at a time: pills or stairs.” ― Joan Walsh Anglund
89. “If you always do what you did, you’ll always get what you got.” ― Marian Diamond
90. “The gym is the best place you’ll ever be.” ― Skip Prosser
Gym Quotes To Inspire You To Be Consistent
91. “You know that in order to feel good about yourself and work toward your goal, you should hit the gym.” ― Barbara Sorrelson
92. “It also helps to ask others around you to motivate you, in the same way that going to the gym is easier when others are meeting you there. If possible, get your friends and family to be your coaches and personal trainers.” ― David K. Wolpert
93. “Late in the afternoon, when the mind is fatigued and waning in cognitive function, could be the better time to hit the gym.” ― Dan S. Kennedy
94. “Don’t worry; you’ll eventually find time to hit the gym, bike, play video games, and do whatever you did before baby came. Now you’ll do it with a trail of spit up down the back of your shirt.” ― Dan Consiglio
95. “I try to walk at least three times a week for 40 minutes or an hour. I do it at the gym on the treadmill, or I go hiking outside.” ― Ana de la Reguera
96. “It’s time to hit the gym. Grab a bottle of water, and prepare to sweat!” ― Frank Sepe
97. “If you are aiming to trim down and you have the time to hit the gym twice per day, by all means, go for it. That may be the perfect way to burn fat and build muscle for some people.” ― Daniel J. Shamy
98. “Planning your schedule is important so you can leave work in time to get to the gym.” ― Rael Kalley
99. “Get to the gym regularly; that’s your focus. You are consistently working towards your goal, therefore… You are attracting your success through what you do.” ― Glyn Jenkins
100. “With fitness, I do Bikrams hot yoga. The gym that I have in my building is amazing. I love to do cardio and weights there.” ― Shay Mitchell
Gym Quotes for Your Favourite Spot To Spend Time
101. “When it comes to eating right and exercising, there is no ‘I’ll start tomorrow.’ Tomorrow is a disease.” — V.L. Allinea
102. “The gym is also the ideal place for those ‘loners’ who come to work out rather than to develop social ties.” — Yigal Pinchas
103. “The gym is somewhere you can go to just forget for an hour what you do for a living, what you are doing on a daily basis. You just turn up and get on with it.” — Luke Evans
104. “At the end of each of those hectic days as I do on most workdays, I would eagerly look forward to lifting weights or do aerobics with my woman friends at the gym.” — Jo Malin
105. “Exercise is done against one’s wishes and maintained only because the alternative is worse.” — George Sheehan
106. “Leave all the afternoon for exercise and recreation, which are as necessary as reading. I will rather say more necessary because health is worth more than learning.” — Thomas Jefferson
107. “Fitness is something that happens to you while you’re practising good technique.” — Terry Laughlin
108. “When people tell me they can’t afford to join a gym, I tell them to go outside; planet Earth is a gym and we’re already members. Run, climb, sweat, and enjoy all of the natural wonders that are available to you.” — Steve Maraboli
109. “The word ‘aerobics’ came about when the gym instructors got together and said: If we’re going to charge $10 an hour, we can’t call it Jumping up and down.” — Rita Rudner
110. “Total physical fitness is a positive state of well-being bringing about sufficient strength and energy to participate in a full, active lifestyle.” — Karen S. Mazzeo
How do you deal with failure?
Like in life, the road towards your fitness goals will come with twists and turns.
It’s how you deal with those struggles that will determine whether you succeed long-term.
If you find yourself struggling with your current workout routine, try switching up your exercises.
With so many ways to work out, it’s easy to get bored if you’re doing the same routine each workout.
For example, you could try yoga, pilates, weightlifting, organized sports, jogging, hiking, or more.
Also, be sure that you are setting realistic, measurable goals (i.e. working out a certain amount of times a week).
Once you complete a week’s worth of workout, celebrate your job well done!
Which of these gym quotes and sayings resonated with you best?
Do you have any other motivational quotes to add?
Tell us your thoughts below!
January 16, 2023 6:00 AM EST