Awkward quotes express some embarrassing situations in a light way.
This makes these quotes worthy of being shared via different social media platforms.
To help you find the best awkward quotes, we have created a list of such quotes.
Here, we have also talked about the various factors that create awkward moments in our lives.
So, let’s start!
You might also like these related articles:
When Someone Feels Awkward
The term awkwardness refers to an overwhelming desire to get out of a particular situation.
It usually involves situations like uncomfortable encounters and stumbling conversations.
This is a feeling that most of us experience in our lives.
Awkwardness strikes even when it is least expected.
Awkwardness can be described as a state where someone feels uncomfortable at a specific social event.
This situation is normally characterized by a sense of unease.
It starts when you find yourself in times when you aren’t aware of social norms.
In other cases, awkwardness also relates to the fear of embarrassment and judgment.
This is one of the most prominent drivers of awkwardness.
A negative evaluation is a fear that others will judge you in a negative way.
In most cases, people judge others based on the following factors:
No one wants to be perceived as unintelligent, incompetent, or socially awkward.
If this happens, it makes us uncomfortable and contributes to some awkward behavior.
You can show awkward behavior if there is uncertainty about social expectations.
For example, when you meet someone with different cultural values and norms, you could feel uncertainty.
This leads to hesitation or self-doubt, which ultimately contributes to an awkward situation.
How to Overcome an Awkward Situation
Although awkwardness is a natural behavior, it is necessary to know and overcome its reasons.
This helps us navigate through situations avoiding awkward moments.
Discussed below are a few of the ways to avoid awkward situations:
- Embrace Vulnerability
- Develop Empathy
- Practice Mindfulness
We need to understand and recognize that feeling awkward isn’t an unnatural behavior.
Hence, we need to embrace vulnerability and allow ourselves to get out of the fear of judgment.
Developing empathy is another way to overcome awkwardness.
It will help you to connect with others and learn about them.
It is essential to practice mindfulness when meeting someone or being a part of social interactions.
You also need to observe the behaviors of others and learn how they interact.
Top 10 Awkward Quotes
Below are the top 10 awkward quotes to help you get a glimpse of the term Awkward quickly.
1. “Awkward is a state of being.” — Alexandra Petri
2. “It is awkward to see a director on the screen.” — Shekhar Kapur
3. “I find standing and posing for photos very awkward.” — Nicole Kidman
4. “I went through awkward, chubby, total weirdo phases.” — Kesha
5. “I think it’s just an awkward time right now to be a musician.” — Trent Reznor
6. “When I first filmed things, they were always slightly awkward.” — Ralph Fiennes
7. “Sometimes, you can not click with somebody, and it can feel awkward.” — Jeff Bridges
8. “The teenage years are ridiculously crucial and hard and, um, awkward.” — Aimee Teegarden
9. “I find it really awkward to do a scene where I’m supposed to seem like I’m in love.” — Lena Dunham
10. “Golf is an awkward set of bodily contortions designed to produce a graceful result.” — Tommy Armour
Confessing Awkward Quotes
Here various famous personalities and authors are sharing their uncomfortable moments in the limelight.
11. “I actually feel awkward being at the center of attention.” — Edwin Catmull
12. “I am a very shy person. Hence it feels awkward to approach people.” — Sunny Singh
13. “Embarrassment and awkward situations are not foreign things to me.” — Paul Rudd
14. “I still feel awkward taking a selfie sometimes; it feels a little weird.” — Bella Hadid
15. “I feel incredibly awkward as a human being and incredibly teenaged still.” — Andrew Garfield
16. “I feel a bit awkward playing in a red shirt out at Wimbledon. But I don’t dislike it.” — Roger Federer
17. “I like parties, but I’m shy, and I often find myself standing around, feeling awkward.” — Michael Bergin
18. “I feel like I’m nothing without wildlife. They are the stars. I feel awkward without them.” — Bindi Irwin
19. “I must say, I don’t feel very qualified to be a pop star. I feel very awkward at times in the role.” — Edward de Bono
20. “I’m very shy and awkward; I can’t have a normal conversation, and then people think I’m being a bit rude, but really I’m not.” — Eliot Sumner
Socially Awkward Quotes
These quotes, through wit and self-awareness, show that social awkwardness can be quite okay and that making mistakes is to be expected.
21. “I’m 87% socially awkward.” — Sobhita Dhulipala
22. “We’re very socially awkward.” — Matt Duffer
23. “I was very shy and socially awkward.” — Lele Pons
24. “I’m definitely on the spectrum of socially awkward.” — Mayim Bialik
25. “I feel like a lot of creative people are socially awkward.” — Alexa Bliss
26. “I was a nerd growing up, and I’m a little antisocial and awkward.” — Louis C. K.
27. “I tend to be sort of quiet and shy and awkward in social situations.” — Tony Kushner
28. “I don’t know, I’m literally the most awkward, socially strange person.” — Phoebe Tonkin
29. “I’m socially awkward in life, and that’s one of the reasons why I do what I do. I’m more about interpreting other people’s words.” — Jimmy Smits
30. “I was socially awkward for many years. I stuttered, stammered, and talked rubbish. I never take up invites to parties, and I’ve been invited to very glamorous things, but I never go.” — Alison Moyet
Awkward Quotes about Kids
These awkward quotes about kids reveal that many of the adults were awkward or did awkward things when they were kids.
31. “I was an awkward kid.” — Louis C. K.
32. “Kids have awkward moments.” — Kenan Thompson
33. “I’m one of those tall, lanky, awkward kids.” — Karlie Kloss
34. “My life is an awkward visit from the kids table.” — Chris Colfer
35. “I’ve always been a geek and slightly awkward… slightly umm… I was never the cool kid at school.” — David Tennant
36. “I never really wanted to be a singer because I was a super-shy kid. Singing made me feel awkward, and I was really insecure.” — Jacob Whitesides
37. “I don’t win anything in life, you know what I mean? I was, like, the awkward kid who didn’t go to prom, but I did – nobody noticed, though.” — Jordan Gavaris
38. “I think hearing kids my age miss out on genuine connections already because they text so much, and then they feel awkward when they are face to face with someone.” — Millicent Simmonds
39. “I was very awkward as a kid. I was a square trying to fit into a circle, and it never worked for me. The harder I tried, the harder I fell. For some reason, I was a real target and I got beat up and called names.” — Sarah McLachlan
40. “When I came to New York, I was really awkward. I went to a military academy for high school, so I didn’t have the socialization that most kids do. When I got here, I was five years behind everybody. Talking to women was weird for me.” — Adam Rapp
Awkward Quotes about Actors
Awkwardness and self-doubt may strike even the most renowned actors. These quotes honor the lighter side of our favorite celebrities.
41. “Actors put ourselves in awkward positions all the time.” — Charlie Day
42. “Actors, you know, they’re often awkward people in real life.” — Liev Schreiber
43. “As an actor, I wouldn’t reject a scene because I felt awkward or disturbed.” — Tripti Dimri
44. “My biggest problem in my life is I’m cheap, and I didn’t hire a publicist. In every awkward interview, normally actors get these things scripted.” — Robert Pattinson
45. “I’m awkward at these things. Just being nominated for an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor for Karate Kid was a real surprise, and I was a little uncomfortable.” — Pat Morita
46. “I’m sort of a reverse Method actor. In my personal life, I become my character. After ‘One Tree Hill’, I started dressing in Converse and ripped jeans and hoodies. On ‘Awkward’, it manifests in how I speak.” — Ashley Rickards
47. “For me, some of the happiest moments in a live-action film are the awkward moments. One actor says something to another actor. They didn’t expect that performance from that actor; that affects their return performance.” — Gore Verbinski
48. “I have been working as an actor for 16-17 years now. The funny thing is I still feel awkward communicating with the public as a star. It hasn’t been long since my drama ‘Goblin’ ended, and I’m looking forward to some time to rest.” — Gong Yoo
49. “As you’re growing up, it’s odd because directors don’t expect you to grow up. They think you’ll be young forever, but as an actor, there is an awkward period when you’re too young for old or too old for young, and it can be an odd time.” — Nicholas Hoult
50. “What musical performers bring to straight characterizations is that physical flexibility that comes with knowing your body so well. A lot of actors are terribly awkward. Terribly. And I think it’s so important for them, when they’re young, to work on their physical selves.” — Rita Moreno
Which of these Awkward Quotes is Your Favorite?
Awkwardness isn’t just a behavior that is related to specific types of individuals.
On the other hand, it is a universal experience that arises from social interactions and their complexities.
In order to understand the reasons for an awkward situation or behavior, we need to be aware of the surrounding norms and cultures.
Apart from this, we also need to develop self-awareness and practice mindfulness.
We hope our list has helped you find a quote that inspires you the most.
If yes, do share your favorite awkward quote with us.
We would love to hear from you.