The following baptism quotes help explain why it’s an important part of the Christian religion.
There are many different aspects of religion that can be confusing to those that are unfamiliar with them. One of those things that can be difficult to understand is baptism.
Why is baptism important?
According to the Christian religion when someone decides to believe in God the next step is to be baptized. This is typically done through immersion of the person into the water or lowering them quickly under the water and bringing them back up.
These baptism quotes and scriptures can help explain what it is and why it’s important.
We also have a collection of Christian quotes to inspire faith and love. Be sure to also read that.
Baptism Quotes and Scriptures
1. “For we were all baptized by one Spirit so as to form one body – whether Jews or Gentiles, slave or free – and we were all given the one Spirit to drink.” – 1 Corinthians 12:13
2. “So he ordered that they be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ. Then they asked Peter to stay with them for a few days.” – Acts 10:48
3. “And this water symbolizes baptism that now saves you also – not the removal of dirt from the body but the pledge of a clear conscience toward God. It saves you by the resurrection of Jesus Christ.” – 1 Peter 3:21
4. “And now what are you waiting for? Get up, be baptized and wash your sins away, calling on his name.” – Acts 22:16
5. “For all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ.” – Galatians 3:27
6. “Having been buried with him in baptism, in which you were also raised with him through your faith in the working of God, who raised him from the dead.”- Colossians 2:12
7. “Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned.” – Mark 16:16
8. “He saved us, not on the basis of deeds which we have done in righteousness, but according to His mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewing by the Holy Spirit,” – Titus 3:5
9. “Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.” – Unknown
10. “When all the people were being baptized, Jesus was baptized too. And as he was praying, heaven was opened and the Holy Spirit descended on him in bodily form like a dove. And a voice came from heaven: ‘You are my Son, whom I love; with you I am well pleased.’” – Luke 3:21-22
11. “And so John the Baptist appeared in the wilderness, preaching a baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins. The whole Judean countryside and all the people of Jerusalem went out to him. Confessing their sins, they were baptized by him in the Jordan River.” – Mark 1:4-5
12. “I baptized you with water; but He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit.” – Mark 1:8
Baptism quotes on what it means
13. “Baptism is bowing before the Father and letting him do his work.” – Max Lucado
14. “Baptism is faith in action.” – Watchman Nee
15. “Baptism was to put a line of demarcation between your past sins when you are buried with him by baptism – You are buying your past sins – eradicating them – putting a line in the sand saying that old man is dead and he is no longer alive any more and I rise up to walk in the newness of life.” – T.D. Jakes
16. “Baptism is an outward expression of an inward faith.” – Watchman Nee
Baptism quotes about its purpose
17. “Baptism is the initial step of a faithful heart.” – Max Lucado
18. “In order to live a life of holiness, we must first receive new life from God – we must be born from above.” – J. Vernon McDee
19. “We may never be martyrs but we can die to self, to sin, to the world, to our plans and ambitions. That is the significance of baptism; we died with Christ and rose to new life.” – Vance Havner
20. “Do you not know that all of us who have been baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death? We were buried therefore with him by baptism into death, in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, we too might walk in newness of life.” – Romans 6: 3-4
21. “If a spring has not been opened in a soul, a spring of living water from God’s own Son, no waters can flow and there is no life in you.” – G.V. Wigram
22. “God’s people should be baptized because God commanded it, not because some church requires it.” – John R. Rice
More baptism quotes to inspire you
23. “You are sealed by the Holy Spirit in baptism and marked as Christ’s own forever.” – Unknown
24. “As the droplets of water are placed upon you, you are wrapped in God’s precious love. May he bless, guide and protect you, keeping you safe, healthy and happy from above. God bless you.” — Unknown
25. “A man who knows that he is saved by believing in Christ does not, when he is baptized, lift his baptism into a saving ordinance. In fact, he is the very best protester against that mistake, because he holds that he has no right to be baptized until he is saved.” – Charles Spurgeon
26. “If you accept the belief that baptism incorporates us in the mystical body of Christ, into the divine DNA, then you might say that the Holy Spirit is present in each of us, and thus we have the capacity for the fullness of redemption, of transformation.” — Fr. Thomas Keating
27. “On this day of baptism may God, who loves us all, smile lovingly upon this child, so innocent and small… and may he guide this girl/boy throughout the years ahead as blessings light the pathway where those tiny feet are led.” – Unknown
28. “For your baptism day, may God grant you always / a sunbeam to warm you, a moonbeam to charm you / a sheltering angel so nothing can harm you / laughter to cheer you, faithful friends near you / and whenever you pray / Heaven to hear you.” – Unknown
29. “After many painful trials, which none can know, but those who are taught to relinquish a system in which they had been educated, I settled down in the full persuasion, that the immersion of a professing believer in Christ is the only Christian baptism.” – Adoniram Judson
30. “For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; not as a result of works, so that no one may boast.” – Ephesians 2: 8-9
What did you learn from these baptism quotes?
While the quotes above may have helped to explain why Christians choose to be baptized, you may be left with more questions. If you are still curious as to what it’s all about, the best thing you can do is talk to a leader within your church. If you don’t currently attend a church, you can reach out to a pastor of a local church in your area.
If you’ve already been baptized then you can use these scriptures and quotes as comfort and direction for your own life or to help others as well.
What’s your biggest takeaway from these uplifting baptism quotes? Do you have any other inspirational quotes to add? Let us know in the comment section below.
February 24, 2020 7:00 AM EST