Our latest collection of pride and prejudice quotes on Everyday Power Blog.
Pride and Prejudice is one of the world’s most popular romance novels.
Written by Jane Austen and first published in 1813, the book tells the story of the protagonist, Elizabeth Bennet, one of five sisters who must marry rich, as she confounds the arrogant, wealthy Mr. Darcy. What follows is a delightful and absorbing depiction of courtship.
With more than 20 million copies sold, Pride and Prejudice has become one of the most popular novels in English literature. The book has been adapted for amateur and professional drama, sequels, and film and TV versions.
Besides being highly entertaining, we can draw a lot of lessons from this memorable novel. Below are some beautiful Pride and Prejudice quotes to brighten your day.
Best Pride and Prejudice quotes
1. “A lady’s imagination is very rapid; it jumps from admiration to love, from love to matrimony in a moment.”― Pride and Prejudice
2. “A person who can write a long letter with ease, cannot write ill.” ― Pride and Prejudice
3. “It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife.” ― Pride and Prejudice
4. “I have no pretensions whatever to that kind of elegance which consists in tormenting a respectable man.” ― Pride and Prejudice
5. “Nobody can tell what I suffer! But it is always so. Those who do not complain are never pitied.” ― Pride and Prejudice
6. “Everything nourishes what is strong already” ― Pride and Prejudice
7. “I declare after all there is no enjoyment like reading! How much sooner one tires of anything than of a book! — When I have a house of my own, I shall be miserable if I have not an excellent library.” ― Pride and Prejudice
8. “The wisest and the best of men, nay, the wisest and best of their actions, may be rendered ridiculous by a person whose first object in life is a joke.” ― Pride and Prejudice
9. “And you are never to stir out of doors till you can prove that you have spent ten minutes of every day in a rational manner.” ― Pride and Prejudice
10. “There certainly was some great mismanagement in the education of those two young men. One has got all the goodness, and the other all the appearance of it.” ― Pride and Prejudice
Also read these thought-provoking Black Mirror quotes from the Netflix series.
Pride and Prejudice quotes about love and life
11. “To be fond of dancing was a certain step towards falling in love” ― Pride and Prejudice
12. “We are all fools in love” ― Pride and Prejudice
13. “Is not general incivility the very essence of love?” ― Pride and Prejudice
14. “A girl likes to be crossed a little in love now and then. It is something to think of” ― Pride and Prejudice
15. “You must allow me to tell you how ardently I admire and love you.-Mr. Darcy” ― Pride and Prejudice
14. “Do not consider me now as an elegant female, intending to play you, but as a rational creature, speaking the truth from her heart.” ― Pride and Prejudice
15. “We all know him to be a proud, unpleasant sort of man; but this would be nothing if you really liked him.” ― Pride and Prejudice
16. “I have been meditating on the very great pleasure which a pair of fine eyes in the face of a pretty woman can bestow.” ― Pride and Prejudice
17. “Have a little compassion on my nerves. You tear them to pieces.” ― Pride and Prejudice
18. “Do not be in a hurry, the right man will come at last” ― Pride and Prejudice
19. “In nine cases out of ten a woman had better show more affection than she feels.” ― Pride and Prejudice
20. “If a woman is partial to a man, and does not endeavor to conceal it, he must find it out.”-Elizabeth” ― Pride and Prejudice
Pride and Prejudice quotes that are filled with wisdom
21. “You must learn some of my philosophy. Think only of the past as its remembrance gives you pleasure.” ― Pride and Prejudice
22. “The distance is nothing when one has a motive.” ― Pride and Prejudice
23. “Angry people are not always wise.” ― Pride and Prejudice
24. “Nothing is more deceitful than the appearance of humility. It is often only carelessness of opinion, and sometimes an indirect boast.” ― Pride and Prejudice
25. “Vanity and pride are different things, though the words are often used synonymously. A person may be proud without being vain. Pride relates more to our opinion of ourselves; vanity, to what we would have others think of us.” ― Pride and Prejudice
26. “… it is better to know as little as possible of the defects of the person with whom you are about to pass your life.” ― Pride and Prejudice
27. “Oh, Lizzy! do anything rather than marry without affection.” ― Pride and Prejudice
28. “But people themselves alter so much, that there is something new to be observed in them forever.” ― Pride and Prejudice
29. “She was convinced that she could have been happy with him when it was no longer likely they should meet.” ― Pride and Prejudice
30. “I am determined that only the deepest love will induce me into matrimony. So, I shall end an old maid, and teach your ten children to embroider cushions and play their instruments very ill.” ― Pride and Prejudice
Pride and Prejudice quotes to inspire you to live your best life now
31. “I must learn to be content with being happier than I deserve.” ― Pride and Prejudice
32. “There is a stubbornness about me that never can bear to be frightened at the will of others. My courage always rises at every attempt to intimidate me.” ― Pride and Prejudice
33. “I am only resolved to act in that manner, which will, in my own opinion, constitute my happiness, without reference to you, or to any person so wholly unconnected with me.” ― Pride and Prejudice
34. “Follies and nonsense, whims and inconsistencies, do divert me, I own, and I laugh at them whenever I can.” ― Pride and Prejudice
35. “I am the happiest creature in the world. Perhaps other people have said so before, but not one with such justice. I am happier even than Jane; she only smiles, I laugh.” ― Pride and Prejudice
36. “‘Keep your breath to cool your porridge’; and I shall keep mine to swell my song.” ― Pride and Prejudice
37. “Do not give way to useless alarm; though it is right to be prepared for the worst, there is no occasion to look on it as certain.” ― Pride and Prejudice
38. “What a shame, for I dearly love to laugh.” ― Pride and Prejudice
39. “If I had ever learnt, I should have been a great proficient.” ― Pride and Prejudice
40. “I am happier than Jane; she only smiles, I laugh. Mr. Darcy sends you all the love in the world, that he can spare from me.” ― Pride and Prejudice
Memorable Pride and Prejudice quotes
41. “… handsome young men must have something to live on as well as the plain.” ― Pride and Prejudice
42. “I am no longer surprised at your knowing only six accomplished women. I rather wonder now at your knowing any.” ― Pride and Prejudice
43. “She is tolerable, but not handsome enough to tempt me; I am in no humor at present to give consequence to young ladies who are slighted by other men.” ― Pride and Prejudice
44. “It’s been many years since I had such an exemplary vegetable.” ― Pride and Prejudice
45. “The more I see of the world, the more I am dissatisfied with it; and every day confirms my belief of the inconsistencies of all human.” ― Pride and Prejudice
46. “It is very often nothing but our own vanity that deceives us.” ― Pride and Prejudice
47. “I have the highest respect for your nerves, they are my old friends.” ― Pride and Prejudice
48. “I do not find it easy to talk to people I don’t know.” ― Pride and Prejudice
49. “You want to tell me, and I have no objection to hearing it.” ― Pride and Prejudice
50. “I have been used to consider poetry as the food of love” ― Pride and Prejudice
Memorable Pride and Prejudice quotes and lines
51. “One cannot be always laughing at a man without now and then stumbling on something witty.”― Pride and Prejudice
If you’re enjoying these quotes, you’ll love our collection of witty quotes to sharpen your cleverness.
52. “I certainly have not the talent which some people possess, of conversing easily with those I have never seen before.”― Pride and Prejudice
53. “They walked on, without knowing in what direction. There was too much to be thought, and felt, and said, for attention to any other objects.”― Pride and Prejudice
54. “You expect me to account for opinions which you choose to call mine, but which I have never acknowledged.”― Pride and Prejudice
55. “One word from you shall silence me forever.”― Pride and Prejudice
56. “There are very few who have heart enough to be really in love without encouragement.”― Pride and Prejudice
57. “We do not suffer by accident.”― Pride and Prejudice
58. “It sometimes is a disadvantage to be so very guarded. If a woman conceals her affection from the object of it, she may loose the opportunity of fixing him.”― Pride and Prejudice
59. “How little of permanent happiness could belong to a couple who were only brought together because their passions were stronger than their virtue.”― Pride and Prejudice
60. “Have you any other objection than your belief of my indifference?”― Pride and Prejudice
More Pride and Prejudice Quotes
61. “My good opinion once lost is lost forever.” – Jane Austen
62. “Her heart did whisper that he had done it for her.” – Jane Austen
63. “They parted at last with mutual civility, and possibly a mutual desire of never meeting again.” – Jane Austen
64. “You may ask questions which I shall not choose to answer.” – Jane Austen
65. “A scheme of which every part promises delight, can never be successful; and general disappointment is only warded off by the defence of some little peculiar vexation.” – Jane Austen
Which of these Pride and Prejudice quotes was your favorite?
Pride and Prejudice is arguably one of the best love stories of all time.
It has inspired a number of other works, including films, stage productions, and television versions. Hopefully, you’ve enjoyed reading these quotes as much as we enjoyed collecting them.
Which of these Pride and Prejudice quotes was your favorite? Do you have any other inspirational quotes to share with us? Tell us in the comment section below. We would love to hear all about it.
March 10, 2021 6:00 AM EST