Get ready to be inspired by a woman that challenged the standard and set new limits with these Bessie Coleman quotes.
For Bessie Coleman, there were two things standing in her way to her dream of becoming a pilot. The first is that she was a woman and the second was that she was African American.
This might not have been as much of an obstacle but she was alive during the early 1900s when minorities—both women and blacks—didn’t have many of the same freedoms and opportunities available to them.
But Bessie Coleman wasn’t going to let that stand in her way. She accepted the challenge and set out to change the world. Her words are still empowering today.
Below is our collection of inspirational, wise, and thoughtful Bessie Coleman quotes and sayings, collected from a variety of sources over the years. And after reading her powerful words, be sure to also check out our compilation of inspirational quotes for women.
Bessie Coleman Quotes That Will Empower You
1. “You’ve never lived till you’ve flown.” – Bessie Coleman
2. “I decided blacks should not have to experience the difficulties I had faced, so I decided to open a flying school and teach other black women to fly.” – Bessie Coleman
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of quotes from black women for a boost of inspiration.
3. “I refused to take no for an answer.” – Bessie Coleman
4. “If I can create a minimum of my plans and desires, there shall be no regrets.” – Bessie Coleman
5. “The air is only the place free from prejudice.” – Bessie Coleman
6. “Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn.” – Bessie Coleman
7. “I made my mind up to try. I tried and was successful.” – Bessie Coleman
8. “I knew we had no aviators, neither men nor women, and I knew the race needed to be represented along this most important line.” – Bessie Coleman
9. “I thought it my duty to risk my life to learn aviation and to encourage flying among men and women of our race, who are so far behind the white race in this modern study.” – Bessie Coleman
BessieColeman quotes about women
10. “A woman is like a teabag – you can’t tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water.” – Bessie Coleman
11. “I don’t know who invented high heels, but all women owe him a lot.” – Bessie Coleman
12. “Ah, women. They make the nights higher and the lows more frequent.” – Bessie Coleman
13. “The age of a woman doesn’t mean a thing. The best tunes are played on the oldest fiddles.” – Bessie Coleman
14. “As usual, there is a great woman behind every idiot.” – Bessie Coleman
Quotes About Bessie Coleman
15. “Fulfilling her dream sparked a revolution and led the way for new generations of dreamers and future aviation legends.” – The National Aviation Hall of Fame
16. “Bessie would only perform if the crowds were desegregated and entered thru the same gates.” – The National Aviation Hall of Fame
17. “Because she was born with a drive to better herself, Coleman was an avid reader. Her mother ensured that the Coleman children made good use of the traveling library that came through two or three times a year.” – BessieColeman.org
18. “She was a modern woman in a not so modern world.” – BessieColeman.org
19. “It was soldiers returning from World War I with wild tales of flying exploits who first interested Coleman in aviation. She was also spurred on by her brother, who taunted her with claims that French women were superior to African American women because they could fly.” – PBS
20. “About 10,000 mourners paid their last respects to the first African American woman aviator, filing past her coffin in Chicago South’s Side.” – PBS
21. “The air is the only place free from prejudice.” – Bessie Coleman
WhichBessie Coleman quotes empower you the most?
You may not be trying to become a pilot, but there are other dreams that you have for your life. The obstacles you face to get there might still be related to your race or gender, or they may have nothing to do with it. Either way, Bessie Coleman is a great example of what’s possible in our lifetime if we don’t allow others to dictate what we can and can’t do.
Obstacles might come up as you work on reaching your goals, but you have the power to find a way to make them a reality. And, if you ever feel like you’re struggling, use Bessie Coleman as your example and a reminder of all that’s possible.
Which of these inspiring Bessie Coleman quotes resonated with you best? Do you have any other favorite quotes to add? Let us know in the comment section below.
December 10, 2019 7:45 AM EST