Get ready to be inspired by a woman that challenged the standard and set new limits with these Bessie Coleman quotes.
For Bessie Coleman, there were two things standing in her way to her dream of becoming a pilot.
The first is that she was a woman and the second was that she was African American.
This might not have been as much of an obstacle but she was alive during the early 1900s when minorities—both women and blacks—didn’t have many of the same freedoms and opportunities available to them.
But Bessie Coleman wasn’t going to let that stand in her way.
She accepted the challenge and set out to change the world.
Her words are still empowering today.
Below is our collection of inspirational, wise, and thoughtful Bessie Coleman quotes and sayings, collected from a variety of sources over the years.
And after reading her powerful words, be sure to also check out our compilation of inspirational quotes for women.
Bessie Coleman Quotes That Will Empower You
1. “You’ve never lived till you’ve flown.” – Bessie Coleman
2. “I decided blacks should not have to experience the difficulties I had faced, so I decided to open a flying school and teach other black women to fly.” – Bessie Coleman
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of quotes from black women for a boost of inspiration.
3. “I refused to take no for an answer.” – Bessie Coleman
4. “If I can create a minimum of my plans and desires, there shall be no regrets.” – Bessie Coleman
5. “The air is only the place free from prejudice.” – Bessie Coleman
6. “Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn.” – Bessie Coleman
7. “The air is the only place to be free from prejudices.” – Bessie Coleman
8. “I knew we had no aviators, neither men nor women, and I knew the race needed to be represented along this most important line.” – Bessie Coleman
9. “I thought it my duty to risk my life to learn aviation and to encourage flying among men and women of our race, who are so far behind the white race in this modern study.” – Bessie Coleman
BessieColeman quotes about women
10. “A woman is like a teabag – you can’t tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water.” – Bessie Coleman
11. “I don’t know who invented high heels, but all women owe him a lot.” – Bessie Coleman
12. “Ah, women. They make the nights higher and the lows more frequent.” – Bessie Coleman
13. “The age of a woman doesn’t mean a thing. The best tunes are played on the oldest fiddles.” – Bessie Coleman
14. “As usual, there is a great woman behind every idiot.” – Bessie Coleman
More Bessie Coleman quotes
15. “I made my mind up to try. I tried and was successful.” — Bessie Coleman
16. “Ah, women. They make the highs higher and the lows more frequent.” — Bessie Coleman
17. “Tell them that as soon as I can walk, I am going to fly.” — Bessie Coleman
18. “Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes.” — Bessie Coleman
19. “The only source of knowledge is experience.” — Bessie Coleman
20. “Life can only be understood backward but it must be lived forwards.” — Bessie Coleman
21. “The air is the only place free from prejudice.” – Bessie Coleman
WhichBessie Coleman quotes empower you the most?
You may not be trying to become a pilot, but there are other dreams that you have for your life.
The obstacles you face to get there might still be related to your race or gender, or they may have nothing to do with it.
Either way, Bessie Coleman is a great example of what’s possible in our lifetime if we don’t allow others to dictate what we can and can’t do.
Obstacles might come up as you work on reaching your goals, but you have the power to find a way to make them a reality.
And, if you ever feel like you’re struggling, use Bessie Coleman as your example and a reminder of all that’s possible.
Which of these inspiring Bessie Coleman quotes resonated with you best?
Do you have any other favorite quotes to add?
Let us know in the comment section below.
August 10, 2022 5:04 AM EST