Take a look at these “how people treat you” quotes and take some time to reflect on your interpersonal relationships.
Oprah Winfrey once said, “You teach people how to treat you.”
How people treat us is directly correlated with how we feel about ourselves.
You may also enjoy our article on:
We set the tone with the relationship with ourselves first and others learn how to treat us from there.
The outside world will always reflect our inner demeanor.
When we do the inner work to seek peace, treat ourselves with love, and give ourselves the necessary care we need, others take notice and they follow suit.
However, the opposite is also true.
We are not at peace when we do not care for ourselves, when we do not love ourselves, the same thing occurs.
Others will follow suit and the responses we get and experiences we encounter will reflect those negative belief systems.
Remember the old adage, and “treat yourself.”
Check out our most popular quote article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily inspiration.
Our inspirational quotes category page has all of our motivational quotes for all the different areas of life.
Quotes about teaching others to treat us better
1. “You teach people how to treat you.” – Oprah Winfrey
2. “Your luck is how you treat people.” – Bette Davis
3. “See the light in others, and treat them as if that is all you see.” – Wayne Dyer
4. “We teach people how to treat us.” – Phil McGraw
5. “If you respect yourself, you will respect others.” – Lailah Gifty Akita
6. “I prefer to conduct my life based on how I treat people.” – John Malkovich
7. “Treat people how you want to be treated instead of how they treat you.”- Kristin Michelle Elizabeth
8. “Judge a person not by how he treats you, but how he treats others.” – Betty Jamie Chung
9. “Everything you do to other people affects them, and how you treat people affects them.” Carolyn Mackler
10. “The older you get, the more you realize that the way you look is a reflection of how you treat yourself.” – Hope Davis
11. “See the light in others, and treat them as if that is all you see.” – Wayne Dyer
12. “Start each day asking, “How do I want others to feel?” Then act accordingly. Xo” – Jill Telford
13. “It’s easier to treat people properly than to repair broken relationships.” – Frank Sonnenberg
14. “We develop Godly character when we treat people the way we want to be treated, not the way they may treat us.” – Cheekoti Anil Kumar
15. “The measure of a society can be how well its people treat its animals.” – Mahatma Gandhi
16. “The ways in which people treat animals will be reflected in how people relate to one another.” – William Greider
17. “Do right. Do your best. Treat others as you want to be treated.” – Lou Holtz
18. “Manners are just a formal expression of how you treat people.” – Molly Ivins
19. “I teach people how to treat me by what I will allow.” – Stephen Covey
“How people treat you” quotes about karma
20. “How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.” – Wayne Dyer
21. “I was taught very early on how you treat people is actually what matters.” – Gerald Chertavian
22. “How people treat other people is a direct reflection of how they feel about themselves.” – Paulo Coelho
23. “You must recognize that we train the people in our lives how to treat us.” – Marshall Sylver
24. “Our character is revealed by how we treat people who cannot help us or hurt us.” – Michael Josephson
25. “You teach people how to treat you by what you allow, what you stop, and what you reinforce.” – Tony Gaskins
26. “How we treat other people changes them, but even more so, how we treat other people changes us.” – Bryant H. McGill
27. “It’s not your fault how they choose to behave towards you. But it’s your fault when you let it continue.” – Marion Bekoe
28. “Tolerance is not the absence of belief. Tolerance is how your beliefs teach you to treat other people.” – Timothy Keller
29. “The true test of a person’s character is how they treat the people in life that they don’t need.” – Lee Corso
30. “We can’t control what other people do and how they treat us, but we can control our response to them.” – Joyce Meyer
31. “The same way he treats animals and other vulnerable individuals is the same way he’ll relate to your feminine side.” – Nityananda Das
32. “Tolerance isn’t about not having beliefs. It’s about how your beliefs lead you to treat people who disagree with you.” – Timothy Keller
33. “Most unhappy people need to learn just one lesson: how to see themselves through the lens of genuine compassion, and treat themselves accordingly.” – Martha Beck
34. “When you take care of yourself, you’re a better person for others. When you feel good about yourself, you treat others better.” – Solange Knowles
35. “Treat people the way you want to be treated. Talk to people the way you want to be treated. Talk to people the way you want to be talked to. Respect is earned, not given.” – Hussein Nishah
“How people treat you” quotes about respect
36. “How we treat people is always our choice, and if we choose not to be respectful, it can come back to bite us.” – Alison Levine
37. “You can’t change how people treat you or what they say about you. All you can do is change how you react to it.” – Nicky Gumbel
38. “The true measure of an individual is how he treats a person who can do him absolutely no good.” – Ann Landers
39. “Goodness is about character – integrity, honesty, kindness, generosity, moral courage, and the like. More than anything else, it is about how we treat other people.” – Dennis Prager
40. “When you treat people with massive respect and kindness, amazing to me how they return your respect and kindness 100X…even though you expected zero in return.” – Robin Sharma
41. “Judge a person not by how he treats you, but how he treats others. The former reflects what he wants you to think of him, the latter truly reflects who he is.” – Betty Jamie Chung
42. “When you realize that people treat you according to how they see themselves rather than how you really are, you are less likely to be affected by their behavior.” – John C. Maxwell
43. “A lot of people are afraid to face themselves, especially when something goes wrong. But that’s important because if something happens within a relationship, it could be how you’re allowing someone else to treat you.” – Christina Aguilera
44. “Throughout life people will make you mad, disrespect you and treat you bad. Let God deal with the things they do, cause hate in your heart will consume you too.” – Will Smith
45. “People treat you according to your energy or what you put out there, so what I put out there is very open. I’m not paranoid or scared, I’m open. That’s how I treat people, with respect and speak truthfully.” – Ziggy Marley
46. “The more you get into any religion, it becomes the same. It really becomes how you treat other people and how you get outside yourself. How you look to help other people, and how you get out of this ‘I, me, mine’ type of thing.” – Abel Ferrara
47. “Those who get upset for being treated the way that they treat others, will never understand why others treat them the way that they treat others.” – David J Martinez
48. “The most attractive thing about you should have less to do with your face or body and more to do with your attitude and how you treat people.” – Germany Kent
49. “Treat everyone with respect and kindness without any expectation.” – Anonymous
50. “An honorable man is fair even to his enemies; a dishonorable man is unfair even to his friends!” – Anonymous
51. “Goodness is about character – integrity, honesty, kindness, generosity, moral courage, and the like. More than anything else, it is about how we treat other people.” – Anonymous
How People Treat You Quotes to Understand the Impact of Our Actions on Others
52. “The way people treat others is a direct reflection of how they feel about themselves.” ― Paul Coelho
53. “People will treat you the way you allow them to treat you.” ― Wayne Dyer
54. “You teach people how to treat you by what you will tolerate.” ― Tony Robbins
55. “The way you treat yourself sets the standard for others.” ― Sonya Friedman
56. “The way we treat people says a lot about who we are, and also about who we could be.” ― Oprah Winfrey
57.”The way you treat yourself sets the standard for others.” ― Christina Young
59. “The way people treat you is a statement about who they are as a human being. It’s not a statement about you.” ― Brené Brown
60. How people treat others is a direct reflection of their own character and emotions.” ― Les Brown
61. “The way you treat people says a lot about you. It’s a reflection of your character, your values, and your priorities.” ― John Wooden
What did you learn from these “how people treat you” quotes?
The next time you have a free moment, try this fun exercise.
Close your eyes and imagine yourself as a giant mirror shining and reflecting.
Imagine that every person on planet earth is a reflection of you.
Considering there are almost 8 billion humans here, you would have to be a very multidimensional personality to have all of these reflections.
Now imagine those who are more closely tied to you, like your family, friends and co-workers.
You will find that these beings are more direct reflections of you.
The things you see in these individuals, the things you love, the things that annoy you, the things that inspire you, the things that disappoint you, these are all different aspects of yourself being reflected back to you by those around you.
If you find that there are ways these relationships can grow or heal, remember that it starts with how you treat yourself.
What’s your biggest takeaway from these “how people treat you” quotes and sayings?
Do you have any other favorite quotes to add?
Let us know in the comment section below.