Everyone wants to live a long, happy life, so here’s our list of inspirational Betty White quotes to show you how it’s done.
Actor, comedienne, and animal activist, Betty White was born in 1922.
She began her acting career in 1939.
After more than 82 years in show business, Betty has yet to retire.
At almost a century old, Betty is still active, claiming that retirement is not a word in her vocabulary.
Aside from her long acting career, Betty is known for her work as an animal rights activist.
She’s been involved with the Los Angeles SPCA since the 1960s and she’s partnered with the Morris Animal Foundation to create Betty White Wildlife Rapid Response Fund.
Betty White is a prime example of someone who will always be young at heart, no matter how many candles are on the cake.
Enjoy these Betty White quotes!
Don’t forget to also check out these Katharine Hepburn quotes on love and marriage.
Funny Betty White quotes and sayings on humor
1. “If one has no sense of humor, one is in trouble.” — Betty White
2. “Well, I mean, if a joke or humor is bawdy, it’s got to be funny enough to warrant it. You can’t just have it bawdy or dirty just for the sake of being that — it’s got to be funny.” — Betty White
3. “Laughter keeps everyone feeling wonderful.” — Betty White
4. “It’s your outlook on life that counts. If you take yourself lightly and don’t take yourself too seriously, pretty soon you can find humor in our everyday lives. And sometimes it can be a lifesaver.” — Betty White
5. “Humor is like music. It’s a rhythm, and you just kind of get the rhythm of it, and you have to know not to let the beat go too long, but to leave a beat in there for it to gel, you know.” — Betty White
6. “Get at least eight hours of beauty sleep, nine if you’re ugly.” — Betty White
7. “Why do people say ‘grow some balls’? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding.” — Betty White
8. “People say, ‘But Betty, Facebook is a great way to connect with old friends.’ Well, at my age, if I want to connect with old friends I need an Ouija board.” — Betty White
9. “If a guy’s that cute, you’ve got to tap that booty.” — Betty White
10. “I not only knew Houdini, but we had a very lovely relationship … I really thought we had something going, and then the son of a gun disappeared.” — Betty White
11. “My answer to anything under the sun, like, ‘What have you not done in the business that you’ve always wanted to do?’ is ‘Robert Redford.’” — Betty White
Wise Betty White quotes
12. “It is important that you not believe your own publicity. Be grateful for whatever praise you receive, but take it with a grain of salt.” — Betty White
13. “You can always tell somebody by the way they put their hands on an animal.” — Betty White
14. “You don’t luck into integrity. You work at it.” — Betty White
15. “My mother also taught me that if you lie to anybody on the planet, don’t lie to that person reflected in the mirror. Always be able to meet your own eyes and know that you’re telling the truth.” — Betty White
Betty White quotes about life
16. “There’s no formula. Keep busy with your work and your life. You can’t become a professional mourner. It doesn’t help you or others. Replay the good times. Be grateful for the years you had.” — Betty White
17. “I like those touches of chivalry that are fast disappearing. If I sound old-fashioned, it’s because I’m as old as I am! But it’s just polite.” — Betty White
18. “Does desire melt away with age? I’m waiting for that day to come.” — Betty White
19. “Best thing about being in your 90s is you’re spoiled rotten. Everybody spoils you like mad and they treat you with such respect because you’re old. Little do they know, you haven’t changed. You haven’t changed [in the brain]. You’re just 90 every place else. Now that I’m 91, as opposed to being 90, I’m much wiser. I’m much more aware, and I’m much sexier.” — Betty White
20. “My mother always used to say, ‘The older you get, the better you get. Unless you’re a banana.’” — Betty White
21. “Butterflies are like women — we may look pretty and delicate, but baby, we can fly through a hurricane.” — Betty White
22. “If you’re walking with your lady on the sidewalk, I still like to see a man walking street-side, to protect the lady from traffic. I grew up with that, and I hate to see something like that get lost. I still like to see that a man opens the door.” — Betty White
23. “Gravity has taken over. So there’s not much I can do about it … My problem with [plastic surgery] is you’ll go to a women’s press conference or something like that, and old friends will come up and I kind of don’t recognize them. I recognize the voice, but I don’t—all of a sudden, there’s this whole new face that I don’t know who that is.” — Betty White
24. “I’m a teenager trapped in an old body.” — Betty White
25. “You don’t fall off the planet once you pass a given age…You don’t lose any of your sense of humor. You don’t lose any of your zest for life, or your lust for life, if you will.” — Betty White
What makes you happy?
At 99 years old, Betty White has lived longer than most people get the opportunity to.
She has spent every moment of her life engaging with her passions and never taking no for an answer.
When she began her acting career, she was told she wasn’t photogenic enough to be on camera, but instead of giving up on her dream, she took any radio gig she could get access to.
Eventually, this led to her roles on The Mary Tyler Moore Show and Golden Girls.
Now, Betty’s acting career has spanned a lifetime.
Take a page from Betty’s book and never be afraid to follow your dreams, no matter what naysayers you might run into along the way.
Did you enjoy these Betty White quotes and sayings?
Which quote was your favorite?
Let us know in the comments below!
August 10, 2022 5:00 AM EST