Everyone wants to live a long, happy life, so here’s our list of inspirational Betty White quotes to show you how it’s done.
Actor, comedienne, and animal activist, Betty White was born in 1922. She began her acting career in 1939. After more than 82 years in show business, Betty has yet to retire. At almost a century old, Betty is still active, claiming that retirement is not a word in her vocabulary.
Aside from her long acting career, Betty is known for her work as an animal rights activist. She’s been involved with the Los Angeles SPCA since the 1960s and she’s partnered with the Morris Animal Foundation to create Betty White Wildlife Rapid Response Fund.
Betty White is a prime example of someone who will always be young at heart, no matter how many candles are on the cake. Enjoy these Betty White quotes!
Don’t forget to also check out these Katharine Hepburn quotes on love and marriage.
Funny Betty White quotes and sayings on humor
1. “If one has no sense of humor, one is in trouble.” — Betty White
2. “Well, I mean, if a joke or humor is bawdy, it’s got to be funny enough to warrant it. You can’t just have it bawdy or dirty just for the sake of being that — it’s got to be funny.” — Betty White
3. “Laughter keeps everyone feeling wonderful.” — Betty White
4. “It’s your outlook on life that counts. If you take yourself lightly and don’t take yourself too seriously, pretty soon you can find humor in our everyday lives. And sometimes it can be a lifesaver.” — Betty White
5. “Humor is like music. It’s a rhythm, and you just kind of get the rhythm of it, and you have to know not to let the beat go too long, but to leave a beat in there for it to gel, you know.” — Betty White
6. “Get at least eight hours of beauty sleep, nine if you’re ugly.” — Betty White
7. “Why do people say ‘grow some balls’? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding.” — Betty White
8. “People say, ‘But Betty, Facebook is a great way to connect with old friends.’ Well, at my age, if I want to connect with old friends I need an Ouija board.” — Betty White
9. “If a guy’s that cute, you’ve got to tap that booty.” — Betty White
10. “I not only knew Houdini, but we had a very lovely relationship … I really thought we had something going, and then the son of a gun disappeared.” — Betty White
11. “My answer to anything under the sun, like, ‘What have you not done in the business that you’ve always wanted to do?’ is ‘Robert Redford.’” — Betty White
Wise Betty White quotes
12. “It is important that you not believe your own publicity. Be grateful for whatever praise you receive, but take it with a grain of salt.” — Betty White
13. “You can always tell somebody by the way they put their hands on an animal.” — Betty White
14. “You don’t luck into integrity. You work at it.” — Betty White
15. “My mother also taught me that if you lie to anybody on the planet, don’t lie to that person reflected in the mirror. Always be able to meet your own eyes and know that you’re telling the truth.” — Betty White
Betty White quotes about life
16. “There’s no formula. Keep busy with your work and your life. You can’t become a professional mourner. It doesn’t help you or others. Replay the good times. Be grateful for the years you had.” — Betty White
17. “I like those touches of chivalry that are fast disappearing. If I sound old-fashioned, it’s because I’m as old as I am! But it’s just polite.” — Betty White
18. “Does desire melt away with age? I’m waiting for that day to come.” — Betty White
19. “Best thing about being in your 90s is you’re spoiled rotten. Everybody spoils you like mad and they treat you with such respect because you’re old. Little do they know, you haven’t changed. You haven’t changed [in the brain]. You’re just 90 every place else. Now that I’m 91, as opposed to being 90, I’m much wiser. I’m much more aware, and I’m much sexier.” — Betty White
20. “My mother always used to say, ‘The older you get, the better you get. Unless you’re a banana.’” — Betty White
21. “Butterflies are like women — we may look pretty and delicate, but baby, we can fly through a hurricane.” — Betty White
22. “If you’re walking with your lady on the sidewalk, I still like to see a man walking street-side, to protect the lady from traffic. I grew up with that, and I hate to see something like that get lost. I still like to see that a man opens the door.” — Betty White
23. “Gravity has taken over. So there’s not much I can do about it … My problem with [plastic surgery] is you’ll go to a women’s press conference or something like that, and old friends will come up and I kind of don’t recognize them. I recognize the voice, but I don’t—all of a sudden, there’s this whole new face that I don’t know who that is.” — Betty White
24. “I’m a teenager trapped in an old body.” — Betty White
25. “You don’t fall off the planet once you pass a given age…You don’t lose any of your sense of humor. You don’t lose any of your zest for life, or your lust for life, if you will.” — Betty White
Betty White quotes on happiness and confidence
26. “I may be a senior, but so what? I’m still hot.” — Betty White
27. “So you may not be as fast on your feet, and the image in your mirror may be a little disappointing, but if you are still functioning and not in pain, gratitude should be the name of the game.” — Betty White
28. “In my head, I’m the ultimate cougar. Animal lover that I am.” — Betty White
29. “I have no regrets at all. None. I consider myself to be the luckiest old broad on two feet.” — Betty White
30. “I’m smokin’ hot in the world. I’m still a golden girl.” — Betty White
31. “Mind your own business, take care of your affairs, and don’t worry about other people so much.” — Betty White
32. “I just make it my business to get along with people so I can have fun. It’s that simple.” — Betty White
33. “I’m a health nut. My favorite food is hot dogs with French fries. And my exercise: I have a two-story house and a very bad memory, so I’m up and down those stairs.” — Betty White
34. “Everybody needs a passion. That’s what keeps life interesting. If you live without passion, you can go through life without leaving any footprints.” — Betty White
35. “My philosophy for staying young is [to] act bubbly every day, drink bubbly every birthday!” — Betty White
36. “Keep busy and don’t focus everything on you, that wears off pretty fast. It’s not hard to find things you’re interested in, but enjoy them and indulge them.” — Betty White
37. “Having been around for as long as I have, there are no secrets left. I am an avid crossword puzzle addict, and although I am known for my animal health and welfare work, people might be surprised to hear I am a nature nut as well!” — Betty White
38. “I was blessed with a mother and father who said taste the good stuff now and realize how fortunate and how wonderful things are this minute because enough minutes are not wonderful that you have to save up all the good ones to make it balance out.” — Betty White
39. “Still here, bitches.” — Betty White
More great Betty White quotes on friendship, animals, and her career
40. “Friendship takes time and energy if it’s going to work. You can luck into something great, but it doesn’t last if you don’t give it proper appreciation.” — Betty White
41. “I’ve always liked older men. They’re just more attractive to me. Of course, at my age, there aren’t that many left!” — Betty White
42. “I am still to this day starstruck. I look out at this audience and I see so many famous faces, but what really boggles my mind is that I actually know many of you. And I’ve worked with quite a few… maybe had a couple. And you know who you are.” — Betty White
43. “I’m not a big cook. I only go in the kitchen to feed my dog.” — Betty White
44. “I’ve worked with the Morris Animal Foundation for over 50 years, I’ve worked with the Los Angeles Zoo for over 50 years. The Morris Animal Foundation is an animal health organization, and we fund humane studies into specific health problems—dogs, cats, horses, and zoo and wildlife. And at one point, I said nobody was addressing pain in animals … I said, okay, I’ll start it. And so, bless their hearts, they sent out these brochures about anybody wanting to research that and study it. And now, there’s not a scientific study that Morris Animal Foundation funds—and they fund hundreds—that doesn’t have pain medication built into the research. And I think I’m happiest about that.” — Betty White
45. “I had no idea that I would still be around at this point for one thing, but that I’d still be privileged enough to still be in this business. And it is such a privilege. And the bottom line I think to the television business is that unless you’re a real bad egg, it is such fun. It really is. Thank you, thank you from the bottom of my heart.” — Betty White
46. “Retirement is not in my vocabulary. They aren’t going to get rid of me that way.” — Betty White
47. “I know it sounds corny, but I try to see the funny side and the upside, not the downside. I get bored with people who complain about this or that. It’s such a waste of time.” — Betty White
48. “I think I’ve been spoiled enough, don’t you think? Might as well quit while I’m ahead! But I’m not going to quit, that’s for sure.” — Betty White
49. “I’ve learned that actors are just a part of the process; it’s all about the writing. Golden Girls was pure gold: Once I read that script and saw the casting, I knew I had to be involved.” — Betty White
50. “I just like animals more than I like people. It’s that simple.” — Betty White
What makes you happy?
At 99 years old, Betty White has lived longer than most people get the opportunity to. She has spent every moment of her life engaging with her passions and never taking no for an answer.
When she began her acting career, she was told she wasn’t photogenic enough to be on camera, but instead of giving up on her dream, she took any radio gig she could get access to. Eventually, this led to her roles on The Mary Tyler Moore Show and Golden Girls. Now, Betty’s acting career has spanned a lifetime.
Take a page from Betty’s book and never be afraid to follow your dreams, no matter what naysayers you might run into along the way.
Did you enjoy these Betty White quotes and sayings? Which quote was your favorite? Let us know in the comments below!
May 4, 2021 7:00 AM EST