Put your crown on and check out these distinguished royal quotes.
Despite what some may think, there are royal families worldwide.
While the British royal family may be well known, many other royal families exist, maintaining their roles for thousands of years.
A brief history of earth’s royal families
The term “royal family” refers to the immediate family of a monarch.
A monarch is a king or queen who leads a nation in a monarchy government.
Monarchy countries have royal families.
Traditionally, the royal family includes the ruling monarch and their:
- still-living parents
- paternal cousins
Of the 26 monarchies worldwide, 12 are in Europe.
Monarchies in Africa and Asia also have notable royal families.
Historians suggest that many of the first states were mainly monarchies.
The earliest monarchies were in Sumer and Egypt, roughly around 3000 BC.
Many countries have kings and queens even today.
Queens and royal women held the highest roles in the empires of Egypt, Byzantines, Kush, China, France, and Rome.
Women ruled over many monarchies: Queen Hatshepsut and Cleopatra ruled Egypt.
Irene ruled the Byzantines, Eleanor ruled France, Isabelle ruled Spain, while China had empresses Wu and Lu.
Royal dynasties have dominated countries and empires.
Kings, queens, emperors, chiefs, pharaohs, and czars have shaped institutions and cultural rituals.
The concept of monarchies is old, perhaps evolving out of prehistoric times.
Many royal families have a strong presence in our modern times.
Countries such as The Netherlands, Thailand, Sweden, Japan, Spain, Jordan, Denmark, Saudi Arabia, Bhutan, and Eswatini all have royal families who are highly esteemed.
For more royal content, check out our royal quotes below.
You will also enjoy our article on king quotes.
Short royal quotes
Here are some short royal quotes to get you started on your journey.
1. “I hated the royal wedding.” — Morrissey
2. “I don’t have a savior or a royal family.” — John Malkovich
3. “It is a happy thing that there is no royal road to poetry.” — Gerard Manley Hopkins
4. “I love the Royal Family and every aspect of Britain and what we have achieved in history.” — Adam Peaty
5. “I love the royal family. I even got up in the middle of the night to watch Kate and William’s wedding.” — Lily Collins
6. “There are many reasons for the decline in royal esteem. One is that so many of the royals are thick.” — Alastair Campbell
7. “There is something about Prince William and Prince Harry that brings real modernity to the British royal family.” — Mario Testino
8. “When we were studying at the Royal Antwerp Academy, we were taught to seek inspiration from everyone, everything, and everywhere.” — Dries van Noten
9. “National armies fight nations, royal armies fight their like, the first obey a mob, always demented and the second a king, generally sane.” — J. F. C. Fuller
10. “I accepted it with glee because it’s not bestowed on you by the royal family, it’s not bestowed on you by the government, you have to be nominated by the public.” — Rod Stewart
These royal quotes give us insight into what it might be like to live a regal life.
11. “My uncles and my father were all in the Royal Navy.” — Vanessa Redgrave
12. “The Royal family have always been great philanthropists.” — Arpad Busson
13. “The first year of marriage is not always easy, especially within the Royal Family.” — Ingrid Seward
14. “But I’m not the first person in the Royal Family to bring out a book.” — Princess Michael of Kent
15. “I don’t know anything about being a royal child. But I have played Shakespearian kings.” — Dan Amboyer
16. “There is a law against discrimination in England. But there is a different law for the royal family.” — Princess Michael of Kent
17. “The Royal Society view is completely apolitical: it will judge anything based on the evidence.” — Venkatraman Ramakrishnan
18. “I’ve got a better background than anyone else who married into the royal family since the war, excepting Prince Philip.” — Princess Michael of Kent
19. “Out in the lonely woods the jasmine burns its fragrant lamps, and turns Into a royal court with green festoons The banks of dark lagoons.” — Henry Timrod
20. “I have watched people around members of the royal family for a long time now, and something very strange happens to them. They turn into sycophants.” — Penny Junor
Royal quotes and sayings
Being a royal is not always easy. There is an old saying, “Heavy is the head that wheres the crown,” and these royal quotes and sayings let us know how that weight feels.
21. “I couldn’t be a royal. It’s like living in a supersonic goldfish bowl.” — Ozzy Osbourne
22. “I became completely obsessed with the Royal family or at least the psychology behind them.” — Vanessa Kirby
23. “Matt Damon’s anti-fracking diatribe was funded by the royal family of the United Arab Emirates.” — Ben Shapiro
24. “Three Royal Air Force airplanes have come over to us so far with their arms and equipment.” — John Amery
25. “The names are bigger, the show is worldwide, but I get a royal pass into life in the broadcasting business.” — Larry King
26. “The Royal Festival Hall in London is nice; people hang out there. I think this inviting, non-exclusive character is very important.” — Esa-Pekka Salonen
27. “Bringing anyone into royal circles is a pretty tough act. Especially in the British royal family, which is scrutinized by the press as no one’s been.” — Albert II, Prince of Monaco
28. “I’m so happy that I ventured out beyond the Royal Ballet – which is my home, and I love it – but I would never have pushed myself outside of my comfort zone.” — Francesca Hayward
29. “When the question arose whether I, as a member of the royal family, should take part in active combat in the Falklands, there was no question in her mind, and it only took her two days to sort the issue.” — Prince Andrew
30. “If a prince marries a foreign princess, one to the manner born, he is being snobbish and old-fashioned. If he chooses a Diana or a Fergie, glamorous outsiders, they may never adapt to the restrictions of being Royal, with calamitous results.” — Michael Portillo
Royal quotes for a king
On a chessboard, the king is the most valuable piece. These quotes celebrate the kings of royal families and the kings in all families.
31. “People think I hate the Royal Family, but that’s not true.” — John Lydon
32. “There is no royal road to learning; no shortcut to the acquirement of any art.” — Anthony Trollope
33. “Apart from life, a strong constitution, and an abiding connection to the Thembu royal house, the only thing my father bestowed upon me at birth was a name, Rolihlahla.” — Nelson Mandela
34. “I don’t like the royal family, I don’t like the establishment, I don’t like the civil service.” — Paul Weller
35. “The royal road to a man’s heart is to talk to him about the things he treasures most.” — Dale Carnegie
36. “When you look at Prince Charles, don’t you think that someone in the Royal family knew someone in the Royal family?” — Robin Williams
37. “Zimbabwe is an unusual case study in African colonialism in that it was invaded by a private company under Royal Charter.” — Petina Gappah
38. “How can it be that we laugh about England’s obsession with the royal family? At least the royal family has college degrees and military service.” — Mike Leach
39. “Prince Charles is an absolute Mountbatten. The real intelligence in the royal family comes through my parents to Prince Philip and the children.” — Lord Mountbatten
40. “There is no royal road to anything, one thing at a time, all things in succession. That which grows fast, withers as rapidly. That which grows slowly, endures.” — Josiah Gilbert Holland
Royal quotes for a queen
While the king may be the most valuable chess piece, the queen is undoubtedly the most powerful. These royal quotes for a queen honor the royal woman out there.
41. “Teaching is the royal road to learning.” — Jessamyn West
42. “There’s nothing so kingly as kindness, and nothing so royal as truth.” — Alice Cary
43. “My children are not royal; they just happen to have the Queen for their aunt.” — Princess Margaret
44. “With the royal family, you don’t want to see them as people because it takes the sheen off.” — Claire Foy
45. “With all its glamour, drama and of course the royalty, there is nothing quite like Royal Ascot.” — Gok Wan
46. “You are a member of the British royal family. We are never tired, and we all love hospitals.” — Mary of Teck
47. “My life has been a tapestry of rich and royal hue, an everlasting vision of the ever-changing view.” — Carole King
48. “We partied with the royal rich people, and we felt like rock stars. We drank all the whiskey in the place.” — Charles Kelley
49. “The interpretation of dreams is the royal road to a knowledge of the unconscious activities of the mind.” — Sigmund Freud
50. “There are no galley-slaves in the royal vessel of divine love – every man works his oar voluntarily!” — Saint Francis de Sales
Royalty fascinates many of us
Rock legend Ozzy Osbourne once joked, “I couldn’t be a royal. It’s like living in a supersonic goldfish bowl.”
Royal families are naturally in the public eye, but their roles have changed.
Most of today’s monarchies are constitutional, meaning the monarch does not influence the state’s politics.
However, monarchs attend official ceremonies and often attend events that politicians cannot make, such as funerals.
Seven of the twelve current European monarchies are members of the European Union.
Did you know that all current hereditary European monarchs are related to each other?
John William Friso, Prince of Orange, is their last common ancestor.
Most laws prohibit most of today’s monarchs from utilizing political powers.
However, countries such as Liechtenstein, which has a semi-constitutional monarchy, and Vatican City, which has an absolute elected monarchy, still allow royal positions to influence political legislation.
What was your favorite royalty quote?
Be sure to let us know in the comment below.
If you enjoyed this article, please click the share button below.