Read these Bloody Mary quotes if you are in the mood for some authentic scares!
Bloody Mary is a nickname or title earned by Queen Mary I of England, also known as Mary Tudor.
Why are so many people afraid to say the name of Bloody Mary?
Find out more about the legend and the terrifying queen with our Bloody Mary quotes below.
Who was Bloody Mary?
Mary Tudor was the first Queen Regnant of England.
This means she reigned under her own right, and not a right through marriage.
She reigned from 1553-1558.
Here are some interesting Bloody Mary facts :
- Mary was a huge gambler.
- She was betrothed for marriage at the age of two.
- She was the first woman to be crowned Queen of England the rule the country.
How did Mary the First get the name Bloody Mary?
Mary’s nickname comes from the gruesome acts she performed in devotion to her religion.
Over three hundred religious dissenters were burned alive at the stake.
These deaths are known as the Marian persecutions.
During her era, burning people labeled as heretics was common.
Her father, Henry VIII, executed eight people for heresy, and her sister Elizabeth I, had dozens of people murdered.
Their family used violence as a means to rule their kingdom and promote Catholicism.
Mary was a poetic woman who loved to ponder the mysteries of life.
She once lamented, “We being dull horses or rather very asses, are forced not to remain long in this transitory way.”
What is the Bloody Mary urban legend?
The legend of Bloody Mary goes back hundreds of years.
Mary’s reputation as a bloodthirsty noble has been well-known for centuries.
In modern times, children would be told that if they stand in front of a mirror in the bathroom and utter her name three times, she appears.
The legend says she can show up to frighten you, possess you, or worse, scare you to death.
Many historians suggest this legend comes from the public’s fear of speaking ill of Mary.
Anyone heard dissenting against her rule or religious mandates would be executed.
Therefore, the public feared uttering her name.
Over time, this fear grew into a legend that suggested Mary would wreak havoc on the world of the living even after her death.
Other Bloody Mary legends
There are other potential origins of the Bloody Mary legend.
One such legend is Elizabeth Bathory, who was known as the Queen of Blood.
She was convicted of murdering hundreds of young girls so she could bathe in their blood.
Another potential origin comes from Martha Worth, a Salem, Massachusetts woman who was murdered during the Salem Witch Trials.
To learn more, check out our Bloody Mary quotes below.
The top Bloody Mary quotes about facing our fears
Check out these heart-stopping bloody mary quotes.
1. “Bloody Mary, Bloody Mary, Bloody Mary.” — Juelz Santana
2. “I didn’t see anything when I said her name three times.” — George Foreman
3. “Bloody Mary is the embodiment of the fear we feel when facing our own reflection.” — Jordan Peele
4. “I have to admit, even as an adult, the thought of summoning Bloody Mary still gives me chills.” — Neil Gaiman
5. “I stood in front of the mirror, repeating her name, but nothing happened. It was all just a silly legend.” — Johnny Depp
The best Bloody Mary quotes about imagination and legends
Is Bloody Mary just an urban legend? Are you brave enough to find out?
6. “The Bloody Mary legend is a reflection of our deepest fears and the power of our imagination.” — Wes Craven
7. “As a child, I was fascinated by the story of Bloody Mary. I even tried it once, but quickly regretted it.” — Kristen Bell
8. “I called out her name, but the only response I got was my own trembling voice echoing in the bathroom.” — Sarah Michelle Gellar
9. “Bloody Mary is a classic example of an urban legend, passed down through generations to scare and entertain.” — Ryan Murphy
10. “There’s something exhilarating and terrifying about summoning Bloody Mary. It taps into our primal fear of the unknown.” — Guillermo del Toro
Famous Bloody Mary quotes for getting scared
Check out these scary Bloody Mary quotes from some bone-chilling artists.
16. “Bloody Mary, always on hold.” — Lizzy Borden, Bloody Mary
17. “Bloody Mary can’t find her way home.” — Lizzy Borden, Bloody Mary
18. “Scary Bloody Mary, Guccied out glow.” — Entertainment, Bloody Mary
19. “Bloody Mary, can’t do what she’s told.” — Lizzy Borden, Bloody Mary
20. “I can tell you scared of heights, You Bloody Mary if you wearing white.” — Runxgun, Bloody Mary
Bloody Mary quotes and sayings about the tyrant and the legend
Check out these chilling Bloody Mary legend quotes.
16. “We used to play Bloody Mary in the bathroom in grade school.” — Necro
17. “When people ask me if Dean Martin drank, let me put it this way. If Dracula bit Dean in the neck, he’d get a Bloody Mary.” — Red Buttons
18. “Kings and queens might do wicked things, but they don’t nag. One thing I like about Bloody Mary: she never said a word about lung cancer.” — Florence King
19. “Drunkenness was in good repute in England till “Bloody Mary” frowned upon it; it remained popular in Germany. The French drank more stably, not being quite so cold.” — Will Durant
20. “I’d rather be running around in the woods or doing my best to scare the pants off all the children in the neighborhood by pretending my house was haunted or making them play Bloody Mary in the bathroom.” — Jennifer McMahon
Actual Bloody Mary quotes about misery and happiness from Queen Mary I
We will close our list with quotes from the actual Bloody Mary, Queen Mary I.
She was the type of woman who would murder any challenger to her beliefs.
21. “Thou dost stir and provoke us forward, and as yet ward prick us with thorns.” — Queen Mary I of England
22. “While my father lives, I shall be only the Lady Mary, the most unhappy lady in Christendom.” — Queen Mary I of England
23. “But if the King’s Mistress would intercede with the King on my behalf, then I would be grateful.” — Queen Mary I of England
24. “And exile from our own country: that is to say, a way from all misery to thee (Lord) which art our whole felicity.” — Queen Mary I of England
25. “And lest the pleasantness and commodity of this life should withdraw us from the going to the right and speedy way to thee.” — Queen Mary I of England
Truth is sometimes stranger than fiction
Queen Mary I of England’s reputation remains in infamy.
Despite living hundreds of years ago, her murderous reign still echoes in the public’s minds.
People invoke her name every time they order a Blood Mary cocktail or dare each other to call out to her three times in a dark bathroom.
What is your favorite Bloody Mary quote?
Be sure to let us know in the comments section below!
Check out these related lifestyle articles:
The human spirit has an unwavering ability to overcome, as seen in these challenge quotes.
There’s a certain sense of ease when you’re heading in the right direction that doesn’t feel like it needs to be questioned.
There are many ways to nourish your soul, from breathing and spending time with nature to volunteering; here are ten ways to start today.
Want to become a better friend? Here are five common beliefs that might keep you from being the friend you really want to be.
Check out these related quote articles:
These quotes about relationships will inspire you to appreciate the special person in your life even more.
Explore the complex world of sad love quotes that capture the bittersweet essence of love’s challenges.
The sky, an expansive canvas stretching above us, holds a captivating allure that has captivated hearts and minds for millennia.
Feeling alone and in need of some inspiration? Check out our list of lonely quotes that will help you cope with the feeling of loneliness.