These David Bowie quotes will inspire you to live a life that is anything but boring.
Groundbreaking music and fashion icon, David Bowie, left the world too soon when he died from liver cancer in 2016 at the age of 69.
Which David Bowie song is your favorite?
Bowie was an international star, well-known for his androgynous sci-fi characters and his ability to be a musical chameleon. His ever-changing sound and appearance allowed him to be an artistic influence in many different genres. Bowie collaborated with other famous musicians including Queen, Mick Jagger and John Lennon. Bowie was also an accomplished actor, starring in several films and on Broadway.
David Bowie is a man who managed to turn his passions into one of the best success stories in the world. His artistic style changed numerous times throughout his career, but he never strayed away from who he was. Use these David Bowie quotes to inspire you to be true to your tune.
We also have a collection of Johnny Cash quotes for living a full life.
David Bowie quotes from his music
1. “And these children that you spit on. As they try to change their worlds. Are immune to your consultations. They’re quite aware of what they’re going through.” — David Bowie, Changes
2. “And you, you can be mean. And I, I’ll drink all the time. Cause we’re lovers, and that is a fact. Yes, we’re lovers, and that is that.” — David Bowie, Heroes
3. “Look up here, I’m in heaven. I’ve got scars that can’t be seen. I’ve got drama, can’t be stolen. Everybody knows me now.” — David Bowie, Lazarus
4. “I’m not a prophet or a stone aged man. Just a mortal with potential of a superman. I’m living on.” — David Bowie, Quicksand
5. “Keep your electric eye on me babe. Put your ray gun to my head. Press your space face close to mine, love. Freak out in a moonage daydream, oh yeah.” — David Bowies, Moonage Daydream
6. “There’s a starman waiting in the sky. He’d like to come and meet us, but he thinks he’d blow our minds.” — David Bowie, Starman
7. “We live closer to the earth, never to the heavens. The stars are never far away. Stars are out tonight.” — David Bowie, The Stars Are Out Tonight
8. “We can be heroes just for one day.” — David Bowie, Heroes
9. “I know when to go out, know when to stay in. Get things done.” — David Bowie, Modern Love
10. “You promised me the ending would be clear. You’d let me know when the time was now. Don’t let me know when you’re opening the door. Strap me in the dark, let me disappear.” — David Bowie, Bring Me the Disco King
David Bowie quotes about music
11. “I had to resign myself, many years ago, that I’m not too articulate when it comes to explaining how I feel about things. But my music does it for me, it really does.” — David Bowie
12. “On the other hand, what I like my music to do to me is awaken the ghosts inside of me. Not the demons, you understand, but the ghosts.” — David Bowie
13. “The music itself is going to become like running water or electricity. So, it’s like, just take advantage of these last few years because none of this is ever going to happen again. You’d better be prepared for doing a lot of touring because that’s really the only unique situation that’s going to be left.” — David Bowie
14. “I felt I really wanted to back off from music completely and just work within the visual arts in some way. I started painting quite passionately at that time.” — David Bowie
15. “I went through all the musicians in my life who I admire as bright, intelligent, virtuosic players.” — David Bowie
16. “The absolute transformation of everything that we ever thought about music will take place within 10 years, and nothing is going to be able to stop it. I see absolutely no point in pretending that it’s not going to happen. I’m fully confident that copyright, for instance, will no longer exist in 10 years.” — David Bowie
17. “There’s an effort to reclaim the unmentionable, the unsayable, the unspeakable, all those things come into being a composer, into writing music, into searching for notes and pieces of musical information that don’t exist.” — David Bowie
18. “Searching for music is like searching for God. They’re very similar. There’s an effort to reclaim the unmentionable, the unsayable, the unseeable, the unspeakable, all those things, comes into being a composer and to writing music and to search for notes and pieces of musical information that don’t exist.” — David Bowie
19. “I’m well past the age where I’m acceptable. You get to a certain age and you are forbidden access. You’re not going to get the kind of coverage that you would like in music magazines, you’re not going to get played on the radio and you’re not going to get played on television. I have to survive on word of mouth.” — David Bowie
20. “I wish myself to be a prop, if anything, for my songs. I want to be the vehicle for my songs. I would like to color the material with as much visual expression as is necessary for that song.” — David Bowie
Also check out these beautiful Mary Oliver quotes that will give you a brand new perspective on life.
David Bowie quotes about fame
21. “I don’t like to read things that people write about me. I’d rather read what kids have to say about me because it’s not their profession to do that.” — David Bowie
22. “I’m an instant star. Just add water and stir.” — David Bowie
23. “Fame can take interesting men and thrust mediocrity upon them.” — David Bowie
24. “You would think that a rock star being married to a supermodel would be one of the greatest things in the world. It is.” — David Bowie
25. “I never really felt like a rock singer or a rock star or whatever.” — David Bowie
26. “I believe that I often bring out the best in somebody’s talents.” — David Bowie
27. “I’m just an individual who doesn’t feel that I need to have somebody qualify my work in any particular way. I’m working for me.” — David Bowie
28. “Even though I was very shy, I found I could get onstage if I had a new identity.” — David Bowie
David Bowie quotes about life
29. “I don’t know where I’m going from here, but I promise it won’t be boring.” — David Bowie
30. “An armchair Jungian would say the whole thing is about my own ongoing spiritual search. My interior life has always been one of trying to find a spiritual link, maybe because I’m from a family of separate religious philosophies: Protestant and Catholic.” — David Bowie
31. “Questioning my spiritual life has always been germane to what I was writing. Always. It’s because I’m not quite an atheist and it worries me. There’s that little bit that holds on: Well, I’m almost an atheist. Give me a couple of months.” — David Bowie
If you’re enjoying these quotes, you’ll love our collection of atheist quotes that will make you ask valuable questions.
32. “Everything I read about hitting a midlife crisis was true. I had such a struggle letting go of youthful things and learning how to exist and have enthusiasm while settling into the comfort of an older age.” — David Bowie
33. “The truth is, of course, is that there is no journey. We are arriving and departing all at the same time.” — David Bowie
34. “That’s the shock: All clichés are true. The years really do speed by. Life really is as short as they tell you it is. And there really is a God – so do I buy that one? If all the other clichés are true… Hell, don’t pose me that one.” — David Bowie
35. “I don’t have a problem with aging – in fact, I embrace that aspect of it. And am able to and obviously am going to be able to quite easily… it doesn’t faze me at all.” — David Bowie
36. “I do some kind of work, whether writing or painting or recording, on a daily basis. And it’s so essential that when I’m involved in the actual process, my so-called ‘real life’ becomes almost incidental, which becomes worrying.” — David Bowie
37. “Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming.” — David Bowie
38. “Confront a corpse at least once. The absolute absence of life is the most disturbing and challenging confrontation you will ever need.” — David Bowie
39. “Age doesn’t bother me. So many of my heroes were older guys. It’s the lack of years left that weighs far heavier on me than the age that I am.” — David Bowie
40. “As you get older, the questions come down to about two or three. How long? And what do I do with the time I’ve got left?” — David Bowie
You might also like these Prince quotes about life, creativity, and music.
Wise David Bowie quotes
41. “Once I’ve written something it does tend to run away from me. I don’t seem to have any part of it – it’s no longer my piece of writing.” — David Bowie
42. “Frankly, I mean, sometimes the interpretations I’ve seen on some of the songs that I’ve written are a lot more interesting than the input that I put in.” — David Bowie
43. “I’ve never responded well to entrenched negative thinking.” — David Bowie
44. “I realized the other day that I’ve lived in New York longer than I’ve lived anywhere else. It’s amazing: I am a New Yorker. It’s strange; I never thought I would be.” — David Bowie
45. “I’m always amazed that people take what I say seriously. I don’t even take what I am seriously.” — David Bowie
46. “Strangely, some songs you really don’t want to write.” — David Bowie
47. “These are all personal crises, I’m sure, that I manifest in a song format and project into physical situations. You make little stories up about how you feel. It’s as simple as that.” — David Bowie
48. “Heathenism is a state of mind. You can take it that I’m referring to one who does not see his world. He has no mental light. He destroys almost unwittingly. He cannot feel any Gods presence in his life. He is the 21st-century man.” — David Bowie
49. “I’m rather kind of old school, thinking that when an artist does his work, it’s no longer his… I just see what people make of it.” — David Bowie
50. “I was very into making the Big Artistic Statement – it had to be innovative; it had to be cutting edge. I was desperately keen on being original.” — David Bowie
51. “Anxiety and spiritual searching have been consistent themes with me, and that figures into my worldview. But I tend to make my songs sound like relationship songs.” — David Bowie
52. “What I have is a malevolent curiosity. That’s what drives my need to write and what probably leads me to look at things a little askew. I do tend to take a different perspective from most people.” — David Bowie
53. “I change my mind a lot. I usually don’t agree with what I say very much. I’m an awful liar.” — David Bowie
More David Bowie quotes
54. “I always had a repulsive need to be something more than human.” — David Bowie
55. “What I like to do is try to make a difference with the work I do.” — David Bowie
56. “Once you lose that sense of wonder at being alive, you’re pretty much on the way out…” – David Bowie
57. “And I don’t care what anybody says; I like doing it, and it’s what I shall continue to do.” – David Bowie
58. “Aging is an extraordinary process whereby you become the person you always should have been.” – David Bowie
59. “I find only freedom in the realms of eccentricity.” – David Bowie
60. “Make the best of every moment. We’re not evolving. We’re not going anywhere.” – David Bowie
61. “It’s always time to question what has become standard and established.” – David Bowie
62. “Sometimes I don’t feel as if I’m a person at all. I’m just a collection of other people’s ideas.” – David Bowie
63. “A song has to take on character, shape, body and influence people to an extent that they use it for their own devices. It must affect them not just as a song, but as a lifestyle.” – David Bowie
64. “I’m a person who can take on the guises of people I meet. I’m a collector, and I collect personalities and ideas.” – David Bowie
65. “It’s a compulsive need to wreck everything. You might notice there’s a pattern of stripping down and building back up again throughout my life. I guess that’s how some of us conduct our lives.” – David Bowie”
Which of these David Bowie quotes is your favorite?
Though David Bowie was an extremely successful artist who married a beautiful supermodel, Bowie managed to remain relatively down to earth. He claimed he never really felt like a rock star and was actually shy on the inside. Yet, despite his shyness, he felt the most aligned with himself when he performed.
We all have passions that define us, though our style may change throughout the years. Let these David Bowie quotes inspire you. No matter what chapter in your life you are in, be true to yourself. Whatever vibes with you now is a part of who you are, even if it changes later on. The cool thing is, we all change. And that is what makes people so interesting.
Use these David Bowie quotes to inspire you to remain authentic to yourself and to live a life that is anything but boring.
Did you enjoy these iconic David Bowie quotes? Which quote is your favorite? Let us know in the comment section below.
June 18, 2021 5:12 AM EST