These David Bowie quotes will inspire you to live a life that is anything but boring.
Groundbreaking music and fashion icon, David Bowie, left the world too soon when he died from liver cancer in 2016 at the age of 69.
Which David Bowie song is your favorite?
Bowie was an international star, well-known for his androgynous sci-fi characters and his ability to be a musical chameleon.
His ever-changing sound and appearance allowed him to be an artistic influence in many different genres.
Bowie collaborated with other famous musicians including Queen, Mick Jagger and John Lennon.
Bowie was also an accomplished actor, starring in several films and on Broadway.
David Bowie is a man who managed to turn his passions into one of the best success stories in the world.
His artistic style changed numerous times throughout his career, but he never strayed away from who he was.
Use these David Bowie quotes to inspire you to be true to your tune.
We also have a collection of Johnny Cash quotes for living a full life.
Our inspirational quotes category page has all of our motivational quotes for all the different areas of life.
David Bowie quotes from his music
1. “And these children that you spit on. As they try to change their worlds. Are immune to your consultations. They’re quite aware of what they’re going through.” — David Bowie, Changes
You will also enjoy our article on gentleman quotes.
2. “And you, you can be mean. And I, I’ll drink all the time. Cause we’re lovers, and that is a fact. Yes, we’re lovers, and that is that.” — David Bowie, Heroes
3. “Look up here, I’m in heaven. I’ve got scars that can’t be seen. I’ve got drama, can’t be stolen. Everybody knows me now.” — David Bowie, Lazarus
You will also enjoy our article on Rod Wave quotes.
4. “I’m not a prophet or a stone aged man. Just a mortal with potential of a superman. I’m living on.” — David Bowie, Quicksand
5. “Keep your electric eye on me babe. Put your ray gun to my head. Press your space face close to mine, love. Freak out in a moonage daydream, oh yeah.” — David Bowies, Moonage Daydream
6. “There’s a starman waiting in the sky. He’d like to come and meet us, but he thinks he’d blow our minds.” — David Bowie, Starman
7. “We live closer to the earth, never to the heavens. The stars are never far away. Stars are out tonight.” — David Bowie, The Stars Are Out Tonight
8. “We can be heroes just for one day.” — David Bowie, Heroes
9. “I know when to go out, know when to stay in. Get things done.” — David Bowie, Modern Love
10. “You promised me the ending would be clear. You’d let me know when the time was now. Don’t let me know when you’re opening the door. Strap me in the dark, let me disappear.” — David Bowie, Bring Me the Disco King
David Bowie quotes about music
11. “I had to resign myself, many years ago, that I’m not too articulate when it comes to explaining how I feel about things. But my music does it for me, it really does.” — David Bowie
12. “On the other hand, what I like my music to do to me is awaken the ghosts inside of me. Not the demons, you understand, but the ghosts.” — David Bowie
13. “The music itself is going to become like running water or electricity. So, it’s like, just take advantage of these last few years because none of this is ever going to happen again. You’d better be prepared for doing a lot of touring because that’s really the only unique situation that’s going to be left.” — David Bowie
14. “I felt I really wanted to back off from music completely and just work within the visual arts in some way. I started painting quite passionately at that time.” — David Bowie
15. “I went through all the musicians in my life who I admire as bright, intelligent, virtuosic players.” — David Bowie
16. “The absolute transformation of everything that we ever thought about music will take place within 10 years, and nothing is going to be able to stop it. I see absolutely no point in pretending that it’s not going to happen. I’m fully confident that copyright, for instance, will no longer exist in 10 years.” — David Bowie
17. “There’s an effort to reclaim the unmentionable, the unsayable, the unspeakable, all those things come into being a composer, into writing music, into searching for notes and pieces of musical information that don’t exist.” — David Bowie
18. “Searching for music is like searching for God. They’re very similar. There’s an effort to reclaim the unmentionable, the unsayable, the unseeable, the unspeakable, all those things, comes into being a composer and to writing music and to search for notes and pieces of musical information that don’t exist.” — David Bowie
19. “I’m well past the age where I’m acceptable. You get to a certain age, and you are forbidden access. You’re not going to get the kind of coverage that you would like in music magazines, you’re not going to get played on the radio and you’re not going to get played on television. I have to survive on word of mouth.” — David Bowie
20. “I wish myself to be a prop, if anything, for my songs. I want to be the vehicle for my songs. I would like to color the material with as much visual expression as is necessary for that song.” — David Bowie
Also check out these beautiful Mary Oliver quotes that will give you a brand new perspective on life.
David Bowie quotes about fame
21. “I don’t like to read things that people write about me. I’d rather read what kids have to say about me because it’s not their profession to do that.” — David Bowie
22. “I’m an instant star. Just add water and stir.” — David Bowie
23. “Fame can take interesting men and thrust mediocrity upon them.” — David Bowie
24. “You would think that a rock star being married to a supermodel would be one of the greatest things in the world. It is.” — David Bowie
25. “I never really felt like a rock singer or a rock star or whatever.” — David Bowie
You might also like these Prince quotes about life, creativity, and music.
Which of these David Bowie quotes is your favorite?
Though David Bowie was an extremely successful artist who married a beautiful supermodel, Bowie managed to remain relatively down to earth.
He claimed he never really felt like a rock star and was actually shy on the inside.
Yet, despite his shyness, he felt the most aligned with himself when he performed.
We all have passions that define us, though our style may change throughout the years.
Let these David Bowie quotes inspire you.
No matter what chapter in your life you are in, be true to yourself.
Whatever vibes with you now is a part of who you are, even if it changes later on.
The cool thing is, we all change.
And that is what makes people so interesting.
Use these David Bowie quotes to inspire you to remain authentic to yourself and to live a life that is anything but boring.
Did you enjoy these iconic David Bowie quotes?
Which quote is your favorite?
Let us know in the comment section below.