Fans of reading will enjoy reading these bookmark quotes!
A bookmark is a tool used to mark your place in a book you read.
Typically a bookmark is thin so that it easily fits between pages without binding the book and is usually made of card stock, metal, paper, plastic, fabric, or leather.
Some bookmarks are integrated into the book, such as ribbon sewn into the binding.
Still, most bookmarks are separate from the book.
Research has shown that bookmarks have been used since the first emergence of books in the 1st century.
The earliest existing bookmark dates back to the 6th century and was found near Sakkara, Egypt, under the ruins of the monastery Apa Jeremiah.
In the 1850s, the first detached bookmarks began to appear and are now valuable collectibles.
Enjoy learning more about bookmarks through the following bookmark quotes.
Best bookmark quotes to print on a DIY bookmark
If you like to make your own bookmarks, choose one of the following quotes to use in your design.
1. “We read to know we are not alone.” – C.S. Lewis
2. “A reader lives a thousand lives.” – George R.R. Martin
3. “A book is a dream you hold in your hands.” – Neil Gaiman
4. “I declare, after all there is no enjoyment like reading!” – Jane Austen
5. “The world was hers for the reading.” – Betty Smith
6. “Reading is a discount ticket to everywhere.” – Mary Schmich
7. “One you learn to read, you will be forever free.” – Frederick Douglas
8. “An hour spent reading is one stolen from paradise.” – Thomas Wharton
9. “If you love books enough, books will love you back.”― Jo Walton
10. “A room without books is like a body without a soul.” – Cicero
Wise words for bookmark quotes
The following quotes are wise words from influential people that are perfect for your bookmark.
11. “Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body.” – Joseph Addison
12. “I owe everything I am and everything I will ever be to books.” – Gary Paulsen
13. “The world belongs to those who read.” – Rick Holland
14. “Never put off till tomorrow the book you can read today.” – Holbrook Jackson
15. “There is no friend as loyal as a book.” – Ernest Hemingway
16. “Never underestimate the power of a girl with a book.” – Ruth Bader Ginsburg
17. “Never trust anyone who has not brought a book with them.” – Lemony Snicket
18. “I cannot live without books.” – Thomas Jefferson
19. “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.” – C.S. Lewis
20. “If one cannot enjoy reading a book over and over again, there is no use in reading it at all.” – Oscar Wilde
How Did Bookmarks Get so Popular?
With the need for a way to mark your progress in a book, bookmarks became the solution as the popularity of books grew.
In the 1860s, machine-woven bookmarks started being manufactured to fill the need for bookmarks.
Today bookmarks are still being manufactured, and you can purchase them in a wide range of styles and materials.
Please share these bookmark quotes with your friends and family and post any comments in the comment section below.