These C.S. Lewis quotes about God and love are sure to brighten your day with a little bit of hope.
Share your favorite quote with us in the comments below.
C.S. Lewis was a prolific Irish scholar, novelist, and author of more than 30 books.
He is best known for his ‘Chronicles of Narnia’ fantasy series, which have been adapted into various films.
Arguably the most influential writer of his time, C.S. Lewis is known for his vast works, which continue to attract thousands of new readers every year.
C.S. Lewis was born on November 29, 1898, in Belfast, Ireland, and he went on to teach at Oxford University.
He died on November 22, 1963, in Oxford, England.
Lewis was a pro-Christian writer who used his works to support his faith.
His words can teach us about love, God, and life.
In that respect, here are some of the best and most powerful C.S. Lewis quotes to inspire you.
(After, you can also check out our Elie Wiesel quotes for further reading.)
Check out our most popular quote article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily inspiration.
Our inspirational quote category page has even more inspirational and educational quotes.
Inspirational C.S Lewis Quotes on love and life
1. “Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person’s ultimate good as far as it can be obtained” – C. S. Lewis
You will also enjoy our article on Christian quotes.
2. “It is when we notice the dirt that God is most present in us; it is the very sign of His presence.” – C. S. Lewis
You will also enjoy our article on Their Eyes Were Watching God quotes.
3. “Affection is responsible for nine-tenths of whatever solid and durable happiness there is in our lives” – C. S. Lewis
You will also enjoy our article on faith quotes.
4. “Have you not seen that in our days
Of any whose story, song or art
Delights us, our sincerest praise
Means, when all’s said, ‘You break my heart?”” – C. S. Lewis
5. “Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another: “What! You too? I thought I was the only one.” – C. S. Lewis
6. “Friendship is unnecessary, like philosophy, like art…. It has no survival value; rather it is one of those things which give value to survival.” – C. S. Lewis
If you’re enjoying these quotes, you’ll love our collection of survival quotes to motivate you to keep going.
7. “What draws people to be friends is that they see the same truth. They share it.” – C. S. Lewis
8. In friendship…we think we have chosen our peers. In reality a few years’ difference in the dates of our births, a few more miles between certain houses, the choice of one university instead of another…the accident of a topic being raised or not raised at a first meeting–any of these chances might have kept us apart. But, for a Christian, there are, strictly speaking no chances. A secret master of ceremonies has been at work. Christ, who said to the disciples, “Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you,” can truly say to every group of Christian friends, “Ye have not chosen one another but I have chosen you for one another.” The friendship is not a reward for our discriminating and good taste in finding one another out. It is the instrument by which God reveals to each of us the beauties of others.” – C. S. Lewis
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our selection of friendship quotes celebrating life-long relationships.
C. S. Lewis quotes about faith and a higher power
9. “My argument against God was that the universe seemed so cruel and unjust. But how had I got this idea of just and unjust? A man does not call a line crooked unless he has some idea of a straight line. What was I comparing this universe with when I called it unjust?” – C. S. Lewis
10. “Do not waste time bothering whether you “love” your neighbor; act as if you did. As soon as we do this we find one of the great secrets. When you are behaving as if you loved someone you will presently come to love him.” – C. S. Lewis
11. “We want not so much a Father but a grandfather in heaven, a God who said of anything we happened to like doing, ‘What does it matter so long as they are contented?” – C. S. Lewis
12. “I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.” – C. S. Lewis
13. “The Christian does not think God will love us because we are good, but that God will make us good because He loves us.” – C. S. Lewis
14. “Though our feelings come and go, God’s love for us does not.” – C. S. Lewis
If you’re enjoying these quotes, you’ll love our collection of God quotes that will help you find direction and purpose.
If you enjoy this article, check out our collection of The Screwtape Letters quotes from the theological self-help book by C. S. Lewis.
C. S. Lewis quotes on faith
15. “I think He made one law of that kind in order that there might be obedience. In all these other matters what you call obeying Him is but doing what seems good in your own eyes also. Is love content with that?” – C. S. Lewis
16. “To enter heaven is to become more human than you ever succeeded in being on earth; to enter hell, is to be banished from humanity.” – C. S. Lewis
17. “You don’t have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body.” – C. S. Lewis
18. “Friendship is born at that moment when one man says to another: “What! You too? I thought that no one but myself . . .”” – C. S. Lewis
19. “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.” – C. S. Lewis
20. “To love at all is to be vulnerable. Love anything and your heart will be wrung and possibly broken. If you want to make sure of keeping it intact you must give it to no one, not even an animal. Wrap it carefully round with hobbies and little luxuries; avoid all entanglements. Lock it up safe in the casket or coffin of your selfishness. But in that casket, safe, dark, motionless, airless, it will change. It will not be broken; it will become unbreakable, impenetrable, irredeemable. To love is to be vulnerable.” – C. S. Lewis
C. S. Lewis quotes on happiness
21. “I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.” – C. S. Lewis
22. “Some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again.” – C. S. Lewis
23. “A children’s story that can only be enjoyed by children is not a good children’s story in the slightest.” – C. S. Lewis
24. “If we find ourselves with a desire that nothing in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that we were made for another world.” – C. S. Lewis
25. “The Christian does not think God will love us because we are good, but that God will make us good because He loves us.” – C. S. Lewis
You might also like these Flannery O’Connor quotes from the southern storyteller.
Which C. S. Lewis quote was your favorite? What other C. S. Lewis quotes would you add to the list?
As you can see from these quotes, C.S. Lewis was big on love, faith, and life.
His words are full of life-changing wisdom.
Hopefully, you’ve been inspired by reading these C.S. Lewis quotes.
If you’d like to read more quotes on faith and spirituality, try these Spiritual Warfare Quotes.
Which of these C.S. Lewis quotes was your favorite?
Do you have any other inspirational quotes to add to the list?
Let us know in the comment section below.