Anxiety is difficult to discuss and even more difficult to live with.
If you’re hoping to find a way to ease your anxiousness and decompress from the thoughts stirring around your mind, these anxiety quotes will help you find some much-needed release when you feel as if you’re spinning out of control.
According to figures by the National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH), anxiety disorders are the most common mental illness in the U.S., affecting 18.1% of the population every year. Anxiety disorders cost the U.S. more than $42 billion a year.
Anxiety is an experience that causes fear, worry, apprehension, and nervousness. In some cases, anxiety can affect your life and interfere with your daily activities such as schooling, work, and relationships.
Anxiety is a normal experience. Everyone experiences feelings of anxiety from time to time. In some cases, the demands of life can make experiencing anxiety more frequent.
Sometimes anxiety can be a good thing. It can motivate you to finish your tasks, work harder for a goal and it can alert you when in dangerous situations.
Anxiety can help you recognize future threats and challenges, giving you time to prepare for them. Although dealing with anxiety can be a tough battle, the good news is that it can be defeated.
Empowering quotes like the ones below act like mini therapy sessions. When you read a quote and it feels good, gives you hope, or eases your worries, that quote is good for you.
One mantra that can help is, “If that happens, I’ll find a way to deal with it.” Trusting that you’ll have the resources you need when you need them reduces worry and helps you enjoy today.
Here is our collection of inspirational, calm, and uplifting anxiety quotes, anxiety sayings, and anxiety proverbs to encourage you when facing it.
Anxiety Quotes to Help Relax Your Mind and Ease Fears
1. “Everything you have ever wanted, is sitting on the other side of fear.” – George Addair
2. “Anxiety does not empty tomorrow of its sorrows, but only empties today of its strength.” – Charles Spurgeon (For more on this topic, here is a collection of depression quotes.)
3. “You must learn to let go. Release the stress. You were never in control anyway.” – Steve Maraboli
4. “Anxiety is love’s greatest killer. It makes others feel as you might when a drowning man holds on to you. You want to save him, but you know he will strangle you with his panic.” ― Anaïs Nin (for more Anaïs Nin quotes, read this)
5. “Peace is the result of retraining your mind to process life as it is, rather than as you think it should be.” – Wayne W. Dyer
6. “Anxiety’s like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn’t get you very far.”― Jodi Picoult
7. There are moments when all anxiety and stated toil are becalmed in the infinite leisure and repose of nature. –Henry David Thoreau
8. What else does anxiety about the future bring you but sorrow upon sorrow? – Thomas a Kempis
9. “If you’re going through hell keep going.” – Winston Churchill
10. “Be not afraid of life. Believe that life is worth living, and your belief will help create the fact.”– William James
Also read these insightful quotes about insanity that will help you stay sane in the chaos that is life.
The 5-Letter Secret to a Worry-Free Life | Gaur Gopal Das
Anxiety quotes to help calm the mind
11. “Anxiety was born in the very same moment as mankind. And since we will never be able to master it, we will have to learn to live with it—just as we have learned to live with storms.”― Paulo Coelho
12. “How can a person deal with anxiety? You might try what one fellow did. He worried so much that he decided to hire someone to do his worrying for him. He found a man who agreed to be his hired worrier for a salary of $200,000 per year. After the man accepted the job, his first question to his boss was, “Where are you going to get $200,000 per year?” To which the man responded, “That’s your worry.” ― Max Lucado
13. Anxiety is the hand maiden of creativity. – T. S. Eliot
14. “I promise you nothing is as chaotic as it seems. Nothing is worth diminishing your health. Nothing is worth poisoning yourself into stress, anxiety, and fear.”― Steve Maraboli
15. “Nothing can bring you peace but yourself.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
16. “Difficult roads often lead to beautiful destinations. The best is yet to come.” – Zig Ziglar
17. “Trust yourself. You’ve survived a lot, and you’ll survive whatever is coming.” – Robert Tew
18. “Feelings come and go like clouds in a windy sky. Conscious breathing is my anchor.” — Thich Nhat Hanh
19. “Nothing is permanent in this wicked world — not even our troubles.” — Charlie Chaplin
20. “People become attached to their burdens sometimes more than the burdens are attached to them.” — George Bernard Shaw
Anxiety quotes to help ease your fears
21. Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety. – Plato
22. “Surrender to what is. Let go of what was. Have faith in what will be.” – Sonia Ricotte
23. “If we learn to open our hearts, anyone, including the people who drive us crazy, can be our teacher.” – Pema Chodron
If you’re enjoying these quotes, you’ll love our collection of Pema Chödrön quotes about finding peace in life.
24. “Keep walking through the storm. Your rainbow is waiting on the other side.” – Heather Stillufsen
25. “Today’s a perfect day for a whole new start. Let go of fear and free your mind. It’s time to open your heart.” – Chris Butler
26. “It’s not time to worry yet.” — Harper Lee
27. “Nothing diminishes anxiety faster than action.” — Walter Anderson
28. “You wouldn’t worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do.” — Eleanor Roosevelt
29. “Act the way that you want to feel.” — Gretchen Rubin
30. “It’s not stress that kills us, it is our reaction to it.” — Hans Selye
Inspirational anxiety quotes to help free your mind
31. “I know but one freedom and that is the freedom of the mind.” — Antoine de Saint-Exupery
If you’re enjoying this article, you’ll love our collection of mental health quotes for happiness and success.
32. “You can’t always control what goes on outside. But you can always control what goes on inside.” — Wayne Dyer
33. “We must be willing to let go of the life we’ve planned, so as to have the life that is waiting for us.” — Joseph Campbell
34. “Our stresses, anxieties, pains, and problems arise because we do not see the world, others, or even ourselves as worthy of love.” ― Prem Prakash
35. “Our anxiety does not come from thinking about the future, but from wanting to control it.” ― Kahlil Gibran
36. “He who is not everyday conquering some fear has not learned the secret of life.” ― Shannon L. Alder
37. “He felt like normal. Filled with anxiety, dread, sure. But even that wasn’t unusual…” ― John Ajvide Lindqvist
38. “Living a life somewhere else in your mind is nothing more than being a prisoner where you are.” ― Shannon L. Alder
39. We acquire the strength we have overcome. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
40. “While fear depletes power, faith gives wings for the soul’s elevation.” ― T.F. Hodge
Anxiety quotes to help you cope
41. “Anxiety is the dizziness of freedom.”― Søren Kierkegaard
42. “I know what it’s like to be afraid of your own mind.” –Dr.Reid
43. “Just because I can’t explain the feelings causing my anxiety, doesn’t make them less valid.” –Lauren Elizabeth
44. “It’s sad, actually, because my anxiety keeps me from enjoying things as much as I should at this age.” – Amanda Seyfried
45. “Do what you can, with what you’ve got, where you are.” — Theodore Roosevelt
46. “No need to hurry. No need to sparkle. No need to be anybody but oneself.” — Virginia Woolf
If you’re enjoying these quotes, you’ll love our collection of Virginia Woolf quotes that will help you understand life itself.
47. No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. ~Eleanor Roosevelt
48. “Everyone must imagine his own snakes because no one else’s snakes can ever be as awful.”
― Tove Jansson
49. Fear is static that prevents me from hearing myself. ~Samuel Butler
50. “We live only a few conscious decades, and we fret ourselves enough for several lifetimes.” ― Christopher Hitchens
Anxiety quotes to make you calm
51. “You cannot always control what goes on outside, but you can always control what goes on inside.” —Wayne Dyer
52. “Whatever is going to happen will happen, whether we worry or not.”– Ana Monnar
53. “Your mind will answer most questions if you learn to relax and wait for the answer.”—William S. Burroughs
54. “It ain’t no use putting up your umbrella till it rains!”– Alice Caldwell Rice
55. “You don’t have to control your thoughts; you just have to stop letting them control you.”—Dan Millman
56. “Don’t let your mind bully your body into believing it must carry the burden of its worries.”– Astrid Alauda
57. “My anxiety doesn’t come from thinking about the future but from wanting to control it.”—Hugh Prather
58. “You can’t stop the waves, but you can learn to surf.” —Jon Kabat-Zinn
59. “Present fears are less than horrible imaginings.”—William Shakespeare
60. “The greatest weapon against stress is our ability to choose one thought over another.” —William James
If you’re enjoying these quotes, read our collection of stress quotes that will teach you tips to better manage yours.
Anxiety quotes to make you feel better
61. “Don’t be pushed by your problems. Be led by your dreams.”– Ralph Waldo Emerson
62. “Worry in the dark can make it even darker.”– Camron Wright
63. “You have a treasure within you that is infinitely greater than anything the world can offer.”– Eckhart Tolle
64. “There are far, far better things ahead than anything we leave behind.”– C. S. Lewis
65. “Never let the future disturb you. You will meet it, if you have to, with the same weapons of reason which today arm you against the present.”– Marcus Aurelius
66. “Rule number one: Don’t sweat the small stuff. Rule number two: It’s all small stuff.”—Robert S. Eliot
67. “Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.”– Benjamin Franklin
68. “Whatever happens to you belongs to you. Make it yours. Feed it to yourself even if it feels impossible to swallow. Let it nurture you because it will.”—Cheryl Strayed
69. “Don’t waste your time in anger, regrets, worries, and grudges. Life is too short to be unhappy.”– Roy T. Bennett
70. “What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”—Henry Stanley Haskins
Anxiety quotes to enlighten you
71. “It’s OKAY to be scared. Being scared means you’re about to do something really, really brave.” – Mandy Hale
72. “Worry is like a rocking chair: it gives you something to do but never gets you anywhere.” – Erma Bombeck
73. “You have dug your soul out of the dark, you have fought to be here; do not go back to what buried you.” – Bianca Sparacino
74. “The way you tell your story to yourself matters.” – Amy Cuddy
75. “If you treat every situation as a life and death matter, you’ll die a lot of times.” – Dean Smith
76. “Believe in yourself and all that you are. Know that there is something inside of you that is greater than any obstacle.” – Christian D. Larson
77. “You may not control all the events that happen to you, but you can decide not to be reduced by them.” – Maya Angelou
78. “Of all your troubles, great and small, the greatest are the ones that don’t happen at all.” – Thomas Carlyle
79. “We ourselves feel that what we are doing is just a drop in the ocean. But the ocean would be less because of that missing drop.” – Mother Teresa
80. “Stress is an ignorant state. It believes everything is an emergency.” – Natalie Goldberg
More anxiety quotes and sayings
81. “If you want to conquer the anxiety of life, live in the moment, live in the breath.” – Amit Ray
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of living life in the moment quotes that will remind you to enjoy life today.
82. “Man is not worried by real problems so much as by his imagined anxieties about real problems.” – Epictetus
83. “You are the biggest enemy of your own sleep.” – Pawan Mishra
84. “Anxiety is the handmaiden of contemporary ambition.” – Alain de Botton
85. “If you want to conquer overthinking, bring your mind to the present moment and reconnect it with the immediate world.” – Amit Ray
86. “When I don’t have something to worry about, I worry. Nothing comes so naturally to a human being as anxiety and worry.” – Brian Richardson
87. “The pleasure of living and the pleasure of the orgasm are identical. Extreme orgasm anxiety forms the basis of the general fear of life.” – Wilhelm Reich
88. “Whoever has learned to be anxious in the right way has learned the ultimate.” – Søren Kierkegaard
89. “Each moment of worry, anxiety or stress represents lack of faith in miracles, for they never cease.” – T.F. Hodge
90. “Silence is a lie that screams at the light.” – Shannon L. Alder
Which are your favorite anxiety quotes?
Anxiety is a normal experience. With all the challenges and events that characterize life, we are all bound to experience anxiety at some point.
You’ve probably noticed that some people don’t worry as much as you do. This leads many people to think that the other person is stronger than they are.
The truth is that the other person just thinks differently. We’re not referring to intelligence or education. It’s not about that. It’s something much simpler and more accessible.
Almost everyone who thinks about the possibility of something bad happening and then focuses on it will begin to feel anxious.
Anxious people often construct elaborate scenarios in their minds about the problems that would happen if the bad thing occurs. But, because we’re not actually in the situation, we can’t fix the problem.
Researchers quantify anxiety as “excessive anticipatory responding under conditions of threat uncertainty.” In plain English, you’re trying to solve a problem before it exists.
An adjustment in the way you think can ease anxiety. Instead of trying to solve a problem that does not yet exist, focus on the skills you will bring with you to the future.
If you perceive yourself as lacking the skills you’ll need, work on developing them so you feel more prepared for the future. Asking yourself what you can do now helps you focus on things you can control.
Anxiety can also be beneficial. It can bring you the motivation to accomplish your goals and it can help you identify potential threats and hardships.
Hopefully, these anxiety quotes have helped calm your mind and given you the courage to deal with your anxiety and fears.
Did you enjoy these anxiety quotes? Which of the quotes was your favorite? Tell us in the comment section below. We would love to hear all about it.
March 18, 2021 6:00 AM EST