Charlie Chaplin Quotes About the Man Known as “The Tramp”
August 10, 2022 5:00 AM EST
If you’re a fan of old films, you’ll enjoy these Charlie Chaplin quotes.
Charlie Chaplin was born in the late 1800s in London, England.
His dad was an actor and his mother a singer.
Chaplin inherited these talents from his parents and put them to use to make money at the age of ten when his father died and his mother became ill.
He and his brother were left to figure things out on their own
Charlie Chaplin created a huge career for himself and is still popular to this day for playing the character the Tramp.
His iconic hat and mustache is something that people around the world recognize.
Don’t forget to also check out these famous movie quotes from your favorite characters.
If you like this article, we suggest you explore our most popular quotes article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily encouragement.
Look through our complete collection of inspirational quotes here.
Charlie Chaplin quotes about his role as The Tramp
1. “That is why, no matter how desperate the predicament is, I am always very much in earnest about clutching my cane, straightening my derby hat and fixing my tie, even though I have just landed on my head.” – Charlie Chaplin
2. “I thought I would dress in baggy pants, big shoes, a cane and a derby hat. Everything a contradiction: the pants baggy, the coat tight, the hat small and the shoes large.”- Charlie Chaplin
3. “I had no idea of the character. But the moment I was dressed, the clothes and the make-up made me feel the person he was. I began to know him, and by the time I walked onto the stage he was fully born.”- Charlie Chaplin
Charlie Chaplin quotes about the arts and entertainment industry
4. “I went into the business for the money, and the art grew out of it. If people are disillusioned by that remark, I can’t help it. It’s the truth.”- Charlie Chaplin
5. “Why should poetry have to make sense?”- Charlie Chaplin
6. “All I need to make a comedy is a park, a policeman and a pretty girl.”- Charlie Chaplin
7. “The basic essential of a great actor is that he loves himself in acting.”- Charlie Chaplin
8. “Movies are a fad. Audiences really want to see live actors on a stage.”- Charlie Chaplin
9. “Actors search for rejection. If they don’t get it they reject themselves.”- Charlie Chaplin
10. “I do not have much patience with a thing of beauty that must be explained to be understood. If it does not need additional interpretation by someone other than the creator, then I question whether it has fulfilled its purpose.”- Charlie Chaplin
You might also like these memorable Paul Walker quotes to celebrate his life
Inspirational Charlie Chaplin quotes
11. “Laughter is the tonic, the relief, the surcease for pain.”- Charlie Chaplin
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to check out our collection of laughter quotes proving why it’s the best medicine.
12. “Nothing is permanent in this wicked world – not even out troubles.”- Charlie Chaplin
13. “We think too much and feel too little.”- Charlie Chaplin
14. “You’ll never find a rainbow if you’re looking down.”- Charlie Chaplin
15. “You’ll find that life is still worthwhile, if you just smile.”- Charlie Chaplin
16. “I have many problems in my life. But my lips don’t know that. They always smile.”- Charlie Chaplin
17. “Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself.”- Charlie Chaplin
18. “What do you want a meaning for? Life is a desire, not a meaning.”- Charlie Chaplin
19. “Imagination means nothing without doing.”- Charlie Chaplin
20. “To help a friend in need is easy, but to give him your time is not always opportune.”- Charlie Chaplin
21. “You are not machines! You are not cattle! You are men!”- Charlie Chaplin
Charlie Chaplin quotes about life
22. “I am at peace with God. My conflict is with Man.”- Charlie Chaplin
23. “Life is a play that does not allow testing. So, sing, cry, dance, laugh and live intensely, before the curtain closes and the piece ends with no Applause.”- Charlie Chaplin
24. “As I began to love myself I found that anguish and emotional suffering are only warning signs that I was living against my own truth. Today, I know, this is authenticity.”- Charlie Chaplin
25. “That’s the trouble with the world. We all despise ourselves.”- Charlie Chaplin
We can learn a lot from Charlie Chaplin
Just imagine all the changes that Charlie Chaplin saw in the world from being born at the end of the 1880s and living in to the 1970s.
He has a lot of quotes that we are able to learn from.
He didn’t take himself too seriously and saw the benefit that humor had on people all over.
He was able to read people and wasn’t afraid to put himself out there in the public eye.
And when you think of him having to start his career at the age of ten, you gain a whole new perspective for what he was able to accomplish through his hard work and dedication.
What’s your biggest takeaway from these Charlie Chaplin quotes and sayings?
Do you have any other favorite quotes to add?
Let us know in the comment section below.