These laughter quotes will brighten your day, regardless of what your circumstances might be.
It’s often said that laughter is the best medicine. Laughter has a healing effect even in the darkest times, and it is a uniquely human ability. Some even believe that humor and laughter are what truly sets humans apart from animals.
What role does laughter play in your life?
Laughter helps tide us over in the dark times of life, whether through pain, sickness, grief, loneliness, disappointment, frustration, or anger. In the face of fear, laughter is courage, which you can grant to yourself when you need it, or share with a friend.
In times of difficulty, our problems can seem to magnify themselves to gigantic proportions. A healthy dose of laughter helps to shrink these challenges to their true size, making them less intimidating and empowering us to overcome them.
Laughter Quotes About its Healing Power
1. “Laughter serves as a blocking agent. Like a bulletproof vest, it may help protect you against the ravages of negative emotions that can assault you in disease.” – Norman Cousins
2. “A good laugh is a mighty good thing, a rather too scarce a good thing.” – Herman Melville
3. “Laughter is the corrective force which prevents us from becoming cranks.” – Henri Bergson
4. “The old man laughed loud and joyously, shook up the details of his anatomy from head to foot, and ended by saying that such a laugh was money in a man’s pocket, because it cut down the doctor’s bills like everything.” – Mark Twain
5. “Always laugh when you can. It is cheap medicine.” – Lord Byron
6. “It is bad to suppress laughter. It goes back down and spreads to your hips.” – Fred Allen
7. “Your body cannot heal without play. Your mind cannot heal without laughter. Your soul cannot heal without joy.” – Catherine Rippenger Fenwick
8. “Laughter is a form of internal jogging. It moves your internal organs around. It enhances respiration. It is an igniter of great expectations.” – Norman Cousins
9. “Grim care, moroseness, and anxiety—all this rust of life ought to be scoured off by the oil of mirth. Mirth is God’s medicine.” – Henry Ward Beecher
10. “Laughter is the shortest distance between two people.” – Victor Borge
11. “The art of medicine consists of amusing the patient while nature cures the disease.” – Voltaire
12. “A good laugh heals a lot of hurts.” – Madeleine L’Engle
Quotes About Laughter, Friendship, and Love
13. “Among those whom I like or admire, I can find no common denominator, but among those whom I love, I can: all of them make me laugh.” – W. H. Auden
14. “If you wish to glimpse inside a human soul and get to know the man, don’t bother analyzing his ways of being silent, of talking, of weeping, or seeing how much he is moved by noble ideas; you’ll get better results if you just watch him laugh. If he laughs well, he’s a good man… All I claim to know is that laughter is the most reliable gauge of human nature.” – Fyodor Dostoyevsky
15. “The size of a man’s understanding can be justly measured by his mirth.” – Samuel Johnson
16. “We cannot really love anybody with whom we never laugh.” – Agnes Repplier
17. “A good laugh is sunshine in the house.” – William Thackeray
18. “When humor goes, there goes civilization.” – Erma Bombeck
19. “Laughter is the foundation of reconciliation.” – St. Francis de Sales
20. “The best way to cheer yourself is to try to cheer someone else up.” – Mark Twain
21. “Wit is the key, I think, to anybody’s heart, because who doesn’t like to laugh?” – Julia Roberts
22. “Each of us has a spark of life inside us, and our highest endeavor ought to be to set off that spark in one another.” – Kenny Ausubel
23. “He who laughs, lasts!” – Mary Pettibone Poole
24. “A well-balanced person is one who finds both sides of an issue laughable.” – Herbert Procknow
25. “True humor springs more from the heart than from the head; it is not contempt, its essence is love.” – Thomas Carlyle
Also read these simple quotes and sayings that will inspire you to live a simply beautiful life.
Laughter Quotes About Life
26. “Of all days, the day on which one has not laughed is the one most surely wasted.” – Sebastien Roch
27. “Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh.” – George Bernard Shaw
28. “Remember this: very little is needed to make a happy life.” – Marcus Aurelius
29. “As soon as you have made a thought, laugh at it.” – Lao Tzu
30. “And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once. And we should call every truth false which was not accompanied by at least one laugh.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
31. “You grow up the day you have your first real laugh – at yourself.” – Ethel Barrymore
32. “Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Continue to learn. Play with abandon. Choose with no regret. Laugh! Do what you love. Love as if this is all there is.” – Mary Anne Radmacher-Hershey
33. “From there to here, from here to there, funny things are everywhere.” – Dr. Seuss
34. “With mirth and laughter let old wrinkles come.” – William Shakespeare
35. “When you realize how perfect everything is you will tilt your head back and laugh at the sky.” – Buddha
36. “Trouble knocked at the door, but, hearing laughter, hurried away.” ― Benjamin Franklin
37. “A smile starts on the lips, a grin spreads to the eyes, a chuckle comes from the belly; but a good laugh bursts forth from the soul, overflows, and bubbles all around.” – Carolyn Birmingham
38. “An optimist laughs to forget; a pessimist forgets to laugh.” – Tom Nansbury
Laughter Quotes on How it Fights Stress
39. “Laughter lets me relax. It’s the equivalent of taking a deep breath, letting it out and saying, ‘This, too, will pass.’” – Odette Pollar
40. “When you do laugh, open your mouth wide enough for the noise to get out without squealing, throw your head back as though you were going to be shaved, hold on to your false hair with both hands and then laugh till your soul gets thoroughly rested.” – Josh Billings
41. “With the fearful strain that is on me night and day, if I did not laugh I should die.” – Abraham Lincoln
42. “If you don’t learn to laugh at trouble, you won’t have anything to laugh at when you’re old.” – Edgar Watson Howe
43. “Most people would rather be certain they’re miserable than risk being happy.” – Robert Newton Anthony
44. “The wit makes fun of other persons; the satirist makes fun of the world; the humorist makes fun of himself, but in so doing, he identifies himself with people – that is, people everywhere, not for the purpose of taking them apart, but simply revealing their true nature. The wellspring of laughter is not happiness, but pain, stress, and suffering.” – James Thurber
If you’re enjoying these quotes, read our collection of stress quotes that will teach you tips to better manage yours.
45. “The truth is, laughter always sounds more perfect than weeping. Laughter flows in a violent riff and is effortlessly melodic. Weeping is often fought, choked, half strangled, or surrendered to with humiliation.” – Anne Rice
46. “What is funny about us is precisely that we take ourselves too seriously.” – Reinhold Neibuhr
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of funny inspirational quotes about life to help you get a quick laugh.
47. “I have always felt that laughter in the face of reality is probably the finest sound there is and will last until the day when the game is called on account of darkness. In this world, a good time to laugh is any time you can.” – Linda Ellerbee
48. “I never would have made it if I could not have laughed. It lifted me momentarily out of this horrible situation, just enough to make it livable.” – Viktor Frankl
If you’re enjoying these quotes, you’ll love our collection of Viktor Frankl quotes on life, suffering and success.
49. “If you have no tragedy, you have no comedy. Crying and laughing are the same emotion. If you laugh too hard, you cry. And vice versa.” – Sid Caesar
Quotes About Laughter and Happiness
50. “We look before and after, and pine for what is not; our sincerest laughter with some pain is fraught; our sweetest songs are those that tell of saddest thought.” – Percy Shelley
51. “I was irrevocably betrothed to laughter, the sound of which has always seemed to me to be the most civilized music in the world.” – Peter Ustinov
52. “A smile is a curve that sets everything straight.” – Phyllis Diller
53. “Your joy is your sorrow unmasked. And the self-same well from which your laughter rises was oftentimes filled with your tears.” – Kahlil Gibran
54. “Those who do not know how to weep with their whole heart don’t know how to laugh either.” – Golda Meir
55. “No matter what your heartache may be, laughing helps you forget it for a few seconds.” – Red Skelton
56. “Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy.” – Anne Frank
57. “Perhaps I know best why it is man alone who laughs; he alone suffers so deeply that he had to invent laughter.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
58. “The deeper that sorrow carves into your being, the more joy you can contain.” – Kahlil Gibran
59. “The beauty of the world has two edges; one of laughter, one of anguish, cutting the heart asunder.” – Virginia Woolf
60. “We don’t laugh because we’re happy, we are happy because we laugh.” – William James
More laughter quotes and sayings
61. “If we couldn’t laugh we would all go insane.” – Robert Frost
62. “Laughter is carbonated holiness.” – Anne Lamott
63. “I quickly laugh at everything for fear of having to cry.” – Beaumarchais
64. “A day without laughter is like living in darkness; you try to find your way around, but you can’t see clearly.” – Emily Mitchell
65. “There is little success where there is little laughter.” – Andrew Carnegie
66. “Sometimes we need to create reasons to laugh or even smile or else the day will be a total waste.” – Deeksha Arora
67. “Laughter lightens the soul.” – Adrienne Posey
68. “When we laugh at the joy in everyday life we realise that the world is not such a serious place after all.” – Dee Waldeck
69. “Good laughter, or even a smile. It makes everything grow. It makes people Love you.” – Angie Karan
70. “Laughter is the only medicine, without side effects.” – Shannon L. Alder
What can laughter do for you today?
Maybe you can strengthen a friendship by lending a laugh to someone in need. Maybe you can lighten your own burden by taking a step back and laughing at your own obstacles. Maybe you could simply bring a little sunshine to work or school with an infectious round of laughter.
Wherever you decide to use it, always keep in mind that laughter is a powerful tool for creating connections, lifting people up, and fighting life’s toughest battles. When you hear laughter, you know that someone has made a choice to be happy, even if just for a moment. In troubling times, laughter can be courage in itself.
Did you enjoy these laughter quotes and sayings? Which of the quotes is your favorite? Tell us in the comment section below. We would love to hear all about it in the comment section below.
March 31, 2021 5:30 AM EST