Laughter Quotes Proving Why It’s the Best Medicine
April 11, 2023 5:00 AM EST
These laughter quotes will brighten your day, regardless of what your circumstances might be.
It’s often said that laughter is the best medicine.
Laughter has a healing effect even in the darkest times, and it is a uniquely human ability.
Some even believe that humor and laughter are what truly sets humans apart from animals.
You may also enjoy our article on:
According to a study by the University of California, Berkeley, laughter can help to improve social bonding and promote feelings of closeness and connection with others.
This highlights the power of laughter as a social glue that can bring people together across diverse backgrounds.
What role does laughter play in your life?
Laughter helps tide us over in the dark times of life, whether through pain, sickness, grief, loneliness, disappointment, frustration, or anger.
In the face of fear, laughter is courage, which you can grant to yourself when you need it, or share with a friend.
In times of difficulty, our problems can seem to magnify themselves to gigantic proportions.
A healthy dose of laughter helps to shrink these challenges to their true size, making them less intimidating and empowering us to overcome them.
Check out our most popular quote article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily inspiration.
If you enjoy this collection, check out our inspirational quotes category page.
Laughter Quotes About its Healing Power
According to a study by the University of New South Wales, laughing can help to enhance creativity and problem-solving ability by increasing cognitive flexibility and reducing mental rigidity.
This highlights the potential for laughter to be used to boost productivity and innovation in the workplace.
1. “Laughter is the shortest distance between two people.” – Victor Borge
You will also enjoy our article on witty quotes.
2. “A good laugh is a mighty good thing, a rather too scarce a good thing.” – Herman Melville
You will also enjoy our article on Kahlil Gibran quotes.
3. “Laughter is the corrective force which prevents us from becoming cranks.” – Henri Bergson
You will also enjoy our article on funny motivational quotes about life.
4. “The art of medicine consists of amusing the patient while nature cures the disease.” – Voltaire
You will also enjoy our article on best friend quotes.
5. “Always laugh when you can. It is cheap medicine.” – Lord Byron
You will also enjoy our article on funny yearbook quotes.
6. “It is bad to suppress laughter. It goes back down and spreads to your hips.” – Fred Allen
You will also enjoy our article on children quotes.
7. “Your body cannot heal without play. Your mind cannot heal without laughter. Your soul cannot heal without joy.” – Catherine Rippenger Fenwick
You will also enjoy our article on quotes about having fun.
8. “Laughter is a form of internal jogging. It moves your internal organs around. It enhances respiration. It is an igniter of great expectations.” – Norman Cousins
You will also enjoy our article on funny love quotes.
9. “Grim care, moroseness, and anxiety—all this rust of life ought to be scoured off by the oil of mirth. Mirth is God’s medicine.” – Henry Ward Beecher
You will also enjoy our article on blessed quotes.
10. “Laughter serves as a blocking agent. Like a bulletproof vest, it may help protect you against the ravages of negative emotions that can assault you in disease.” – Norman Cousins
You will also enjoy our article on funny wine quotes.
11. “The old man laughed loud and joyously, shook up the details of his anatomy from head to foot, and ended by saying that such a laugh was money in a man’s pocket, because it cut down the doctor’s bills like everything.” – Mark Twain
You will also enjoy our article on dr seuss quotes.
12. “A good laugh heals a lot of hurts.” – Madeleine L’Engle
You might also like these Vine quotes that will make you LOL
Quotes About Laughter, Friendship, and Love
According to a study by the University of North Carolina, humor and laughter can improve our ability to cope with stress and adversity by promoting a positive outlook and enhancing resilience.
This underscores the potential for laughter to be used as a tool for building psychological strength and managing life’s challenges.
13. “Among those whom I like or admire, I can find no common denominator, but among those whom I love, I can: all of them make me laugh.” – W. H. Auden
You will also enjoy our article on joker quotes.
14. “If you wish to glimpse inside a human soul and get to know the man, don’t bother analyzing his ways of being silent, of talking, of weeping, or seeing how much he is moved by noble ideas; you’ll get better results if you just watch him laugh. If he laughs well, he’s a good man… All I claim to know is that laughter is the most reliable gauge of human nature.” – Fyodor Dostoyevsky
You will also enjoy our article on w c fields quotes.
15. “The size of a man’s understanding can be justly measured by his mirth.” – Samuel Johnson
You will also enjoy our article on granddaughter quotes.
16. “We cannot really love anybody with whom we never laugh.” – Agnes Repplier
You will also enjoy our article on healing quotes.
17. “A good laugh is sunshine in the house.” – William Thackeray
You will also enjoy our article on Big Mouth quotes.
18. “When humor goes, there goes civilization.” – Erma Bombeck
You will also enjoy our article on anger quotes.
19. “Laughter is the foundation of reconciliation.” – St. Francis de Sales
You will also enjoy our article on smart quotes.
20. “The best way to cheer yourself is to try to cheer someone else up.” – Mark Twain
You will also enjoy our article on ricky gervais quotes.
21. “Wit is the key, I think, to anybody’s heart, because who doesn’t like to laugh?” – Julia Roberts
You will also enjoy our article on health quotes.
22. “Each of us has a spark of life inside us, and our highest endeavor ought to be to set off that spark in one another.” – Kenny Ausubel
You will also enjoy our article on you make me smile quotes.
23. “He who laughs, lasts!” – Mary Pettibone Poole
24. “A well-balanced person is one who finds both sides of an issue laughable.” – Herbert Procknow
25. “True humor springs more from the heart than from the head; it is not contempt, its essence is love.” – Thomas Carlyle
Also read these simple quotes and sayings that will inspire you to live a simply beautiful life.
Laughter Quotes About Life
Laughter has been found to increase pain tolerance by up to 10%, according to a study by Oxford University.
This suggests that laughter can be an effective form of pain relief.
26. “Of all days, the day on which one has not laughed is the one most surely wasted.” – Sebastien Roch
27. “Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh.” – George Bernard Shaw
28. “Remember this: very little is needed to make a happy life.” – Marcus Aurelius
29. “As soon as you have made a thought, laugh at it.” – Lao Tzu
30. “And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once. And we should call every truth false which was not accompanied by at least one laugh.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
31. “You grow up the day you have your first real laugh – at yourself.” – Ethel Barrymore
32. “Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Continue to learn. Play with abandon. Choose with no regret. Laugh! Do what you love. Love as if this is all there is.” – Mary Anne Radmacher-Hershey
33. “From there to here, from here to there, funny things are everywhere.” – Dr. Seuss
34. “With mirth and laughter let old wrinkles come.” – William Shakespeare
35. “When you realize how perfect everything is you will tilt your head back and laugh at the sky.” – Buddha
36. “Trouble knocked at the door, but, hearing laughter, hurried away.” ― Benjamin Franklin
37. “A smile starts on the lips, a grin spreads to the eyes, a chuckle comes from the belly; but a good laugh bursts forth from the soul, overflows, and bubbles all around.” – Carolyn Birmingham
38. “An optimist laughs to forget; a pessimist forgets to laugh.” – Tom Nansbury
Laughter Quotes on How it Fights Stress
According to a study published in the journal BMC Psychology, laughter can improve cognitive performance and memory recall.
This is likely due to the release of endorphins and the reduction in stress hormones that come with laughter.
39. “Laughter lets me relax. It’s the equivalent of taking a deep breath, letting it out and saying, ‘This, too, will pass.’” – Odette Pollar
40. “When you do laugh, open your mouth wide enough for the noise to get out without squealing, throw your head back as though you were going to be shaved, hold on to your false hair with both hands and then laugh till your soul gets thoroughly rested.” – Josh Billings
41. “With the fearful strain that is on me night and day, if I did not laugh I should die.” – Abraham Lincoln
42. “If you don’t learn to laugh at trouble, you won’t have anything to laugh at when you’re old.” – Edgar Watson Howe
43. “Most people would rather be certain they’re miserable than risk being happy.” – Robert Newton Anthony
44. “The wit makes fun of other persons; the satirist makes fun of the world; the humorist makes fun of himself, but in so doing, he identifies himself with people – that is, people everywhere, not for the purpose of taking them apart, but simply revealing their true nature. The wellspring of laughter is not happiness, but pain, stress, and suffering.” – James Thurber
If you’re enjoying these quotes, read our collection of stress quotes that will teach you tips to better manage yours.
45. “The truth is, laughter always sounds more perfect than weeping. Laughter flows in a violent riff and is effortlessly melodic. Weeping is often fought, choked, half strangled, or surrendered to with humiliation.” – Anne Rice
46. “What is funny about us is precisely that we take ourselves too seriously.” – Reinhold Neibuhr
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of funny inspirational quotes about life to help you get a quick laugh.
47. “I have always felt that laughter in the face of reality is probably the finest sound there is and will last until the day when the game is called on account of darkness. In this world, a good time to laugh is any time you can.” – Linda Ellerbee
48. “I never would have made it if I could not have laughed. It lifted me momentarily out of this horrible situation, just enough to make it livable.” – Viktor Frankl
If you’re enjoying these quotes, you’ll love our collection of Viktor Frankl quotes on life, suffering and success.
49. “If you have no tragedy, you have no comedy. Crying and laughing are the same emotion. If you laugh too hard, you cry. And vice versa.” – Sid Caesar
Quotes About Laughter and Happiness
In a study published in the International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry, laughter was found to significantly reduce symptoms of depression among elderly patients in nursing homes.
This suggests that laughter can be an effective complementary therapy for depression.
50. “We look before and after, and pine for what is not; our sincerest laughter with some pain is fraught; our sweetest songs are those that tell of saddest thought.” – Percy Shelley
51. “I was irrevocably betrothed to laughter, the sound of which has always seemed to me to be the most civilized music in the world.” – Peter Ustinov
52. “A smile is a curve that sets everything straight.” – Phyllis Diller
53. “Your joy is your sorrow unmasked. And the self-same well from which your laughter rises was oftentimes filled with your tears.” – Kahlil Gibran
54. “Those who do not know how to weep with their whole heart don’t know how to laugh either.” – Golda Meir
55. “No matter what your heartache may be, laughing helps you forget it for a few seconds.” – Red Skelton
56. “Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy.” – Anne Frank
57. “Perhaps I know best why it is man alone who laughs; he alone suffers so deeply that he had to invent laughter.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
58. “The deeper that sorrow carves into your being, the more joy you can contain.” – Kahlil Gibran
59. “The beauty of the world has two edges; one of laughter, one of anguish, cutting the heart asunder.” – Virginia Woolf
60. “We don’t laugh because we’re happy, we are happy because we laugh.” – William James
You might also like these clever Facebook quotes about life and love that are perfect to post as your FB status.
More laughter quotes and sayings
In a survey by the American Psychological Association, it was found that laughter can reduce stress and improve mood by increasing feelings of happiness and relaxation.
This statistic supports the idea that laughter is a powerful tool for promoting mental health and well-being.
61. “If we couldn’t laugh we would all go insane.” – Robert Frost
62. “Laughter is carbonated holiness.” – Anne Lamott
63. “I quickly laugh at everything for fear of having to cry.” – Beaumarchais
64. “A day without laughter is like living in darkness; you try to find your way around, but you can’t see clearly.” – Emily Mitchell
65. “There is little success where there is little laughter.” – Andrew Carnegie
66. “Sometimes we need to create reasons to laugh or even smile or else the day will be a total waste.” – Deeksha Arora
67. “Laughter lightens the soul.” – Adrienne Posey
68. “When we laugh at the joy in everyday life we realise that the world is not such a serious place after all.” – Dee Waldeck
69. “Good laughter, or even a smile. It makes everything grow. It makes people Love you.” – Angie Karan
70. “Laughter is the only medicine, without side effects.” – Shannon L. Alder
71. “People will laugh: with you, or at you. Your choice.”― Sarvesh Jain
72. “Laughter increases our internal light.”― Purvi Raniga
73. “Make her laugh. There is no gift like a basket of laughter.”― Sarvesh Jain
74. “If anyone makes you laugh, it is not always because they love you.”― African Proverb
75. “If you don’t want to be sad and sorry all your life, learn how to laugh at yourself.”― Marty Rubin
Other laughter quotes
According to a study by the University of California, Berkeley, laughter can improve social relationships by increasing feelings of closeness and connection between individuals.
This statistic emphasizes the role of laughter in promoting social bonding and fostering positive relationships with others.
76. “A day without laughter is a day wasted.” – Charlie Chaplin
77. “Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human face.” – Victor Hugo
78. “Laughter is an instant vacation.” – Milton Berle
79. “I live a very joyful life, with a lot of laughter and good times.” – Kimberly Elise
80. “Everybody laughs the same in every language because laughter is a universal connection.” – Yakov Smirnoff
81. “I am thankful for laughter, except when milk comes out of my nose.” – Woody Allen
82. “Laughter gives us distance. It allows us to step back from an event, deal with it and then move on.” – Bob Newhart
83. “Laughter is regional: a smile extends over the whole face.” – Malcolm de Chazal
84. “Does anyone remember laughter?” – Robert Plant
85. “Laughter can bring a new perspective.” – Christopher Durang
86. “Laughter does not deny pain. Laughter – like a wail – acknowledges and replies to pain.” – Tim O’Brien
Laughter quotes to make you smile
A study by Loma Linda University found that laughter can boost the immune system by increasing the activity of immune cells and reducing the levels of stress hormones in the body.
This statistic emphasizes the health benefits of laughter and the importance of incorporating humor and joy into daily life.
87. “Laughter heals all wounds, and that’s one thing that everybody shares. No matter what you’re going through, it makes you forget about your problems. I think the world should keep laughing.” – Kevin Hart
88. “The person who has a sense of humor is not just more relaxed in the face of a potentially stressful situation, but is more flexible in his approach.” – John Morreall
89. “Life is better when you’re laughing.” – Anonymous
90. “Laughter is timeless.” – Walt Disney
91. “A good laugh recharges your battery.” – Anonymous
92. “You need to laugh” – Maya Angelou
93. “A little more laughter, a little less worry, a little more kindness, and a little less hurry.” – Anonymous
94. “Through humor, you can soften some of the worst blows that life delivers. And once you find laughter, no matter how painful your situation might be, you can survive.” – Bill Cosby
95. “Laughter is poison to fear.” – George R.R. Martin
96. “If you find it hard to laugh at yourself, I would be happy to do it for you.” – Groucho Marx
97. “Laugh a lot. It burns a lot of calories.” – Jessica Simpson
More Laughter Quotes about Life
According to a study by the University of Maryland, laughter can help improve blood flow and reduce the risk of heart disease.
Laughter causes the endothelium, the tissue that lines blood vessels, to dilate, increasing blood flow.
98. “Against the assault of laughter, nothing can stand.” — Mark Twain
99. “At the height of laughter, the universe is flung into a kaleidoscope of new possibilities.” — Jean Houston
100. “Cancer is probably the unfunniest thing in the world, but I’m a comedian, and even cancer couldn’t stop me from seeing the humor in what I went through.” — Gilda Radner
101. “Earth laughs in flowers.” — Ralph Waldo Emerson
102. “Even the gods love jokes” — Plato
103. “Everyone is so afraid of death, but the real Sufis just laugh: nothing tyrannizes their hearts. What strikes the oyster shell does not damage the pearl.” — Mevlana Rumi
104. “God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh.” — Henry Louis Mencken
105. “He who binds to himself a joy Does the winged life destroy; But he who kisses the joy as it flies Lives in eternity’s sun rise.” — William Blake
106. “Humor is a prelude to faith and laughter is the beginning of prayer.” — Reinhold Niebuhr
107. “Humor is laughing at what you haven’t got when you ought to have it.” — James Langston Hughes
Sweet laughter quotes
A study by the University of Oxford found that laughing can actually help reduce pain.
When we laugh, the brain releases endorphins, natural painkillers that can help alleviate discomfort.
108. “In the sweetness of friendship let there be laughter, and sharing of pleasures. For in the dew of little things the heart finds its morning and is refreshed.” –Khalil Gibran
109. “The human race has one really effective weapon, and that is laughter.” –Mark Twain
110. “The most wasted of all days is one without laughter.” -e.e. Cummings
111. “Our revenge will be the laughter of our children.” –Bobby Sands
112. “The person who can bring the spirit of laughter into a room is indeed blessed.” –Bennett Cerf
113. “Laughter is the closest distance between two people.” –Victor Borge
114. “Laughter and tears are both responses to frustration and exhaustion. I myself prefer to laugh, since there is less cleaning up to do afterward.” –Kurt Vonnegut
115. “All you need in the world is love and laughter. That’s all anybody needs. To have love in one hand and laughter in the other.” –August Wilson
116. “To me there is no picture so beautiful as smiling, bright-eyed, happy children; no music so sweet as their clear and ringing laughter.” –P.T. Barnum
117. “Laughter is not at all a bad beginning for a friendship, and it is far the best ending for one.” –Oscar Wilde
Laughter quotes to keep you young
Researchers at Loma Linda University found that laughter can help boost the immune system.
Laughter increases the production of immune cells and antibodies, which can help protect against illness.
118. “To truly laugh, you must be able to take your pain and play with it.” –Charlie Chaplin
119. “I will look for the flowers by the side of the road; I will laugh and love and be strong.” –Mary S. Edgar
120. “As soap is to the body, so laughter is to the soul.” –Jewish Proverb
121. “Laugh my friend, for laughter ignites a fire within the pit of your belly and awakens your being.” –Stella McCartney
122. “If you can laugh in the face of adversity, you’re bulletproof.” –Ricky Gervais
123. “Laugh often, long and loud. Laugh until you gasp for breath.” –George Carlin
124. “When we can begin to take our failures non-seriously, it means we are ceasing to be afraid of them. It is of immense importance to learn to laugh at ourselves.” –Katherine Mansfield
125. “Laughter connects you with people. It is almost impossible to maintain any kind of distance or any sense of social hierarchy when you’re just howling with laughter.” –John Cleese
126. “You don’t stop laughing when you grow old, you grow old when you stop laughing.” –George Bernard Shaw
127. “Power, money, persuasion, supplication, persecution – these can lift at a colossal humbug- push it a little – weaken it a little, century by century, but only laughter can blow it to rags and atoms at a blast. Against the assault of laughter nothing can stand.” –Mark Twain
Laughter Quotes On Importance Of Laughter
128. “Laughter is a sense of proportion and a power of seeing yourself from the outside.” — Zero Mostel
129. “Laughter is God’s hand on the shoulder of a troubled world.” — HuntznickerBettenell
130. “Laughter is the loaded latency given us by nature as part of our native equipment to break up the stalemates of our lives and urge us on to deeper and more complex forms of knowing.” — Jean Houston
131. “Laughter has no foreign accent.” — Paul Lowney
132. “If Laughter cannot solve your problems, it will definitely DISSOLVE your problems; so that you can think clearly about what to do about them.” — Dr. Madan Kataria
133. “I have not seen anyone dying of laughter, but I know millions who are dying because they are not laughing.” — Dr. Madan Kataria
134. “You don’t stop laughing because you grow old. You grow old because you stop laughing.” — Michael Pritchard
135. “When you laugh, you get a glimpse of God.” — Merrily Belgium
136. “We are all here for a spell. Get all the good laughs you can.” — Will Rogers
139. “The greatest prayer you could ever pray is to laugh every day.” — Ramtha
Laughter Quotes That Will Make You Enjoy Laughter Fully
140. “Determined to live life with flair and laughter.” — Maya Angelou
141. “Allow yourself to laugh and when you do, share your laughter with others.” — Catherine Pulsifer
142. “If you really know the great benefits of laughter for your health, you will make sure that laughter is also encouraged at home. And, if you are alone, put on a super funny comedy movie or TV show and laugh out loud as much as possible.” — Catherine Pulsifer
143. “Laughter is generated by wit or by relief from the straitjackets of tension.” — Paul Z. Jackson
144. “It’s not about the laughter, but what it took to create the smile.” — Paul Evans
145. “Laugh a lot. It’s fairly well known that laughing releases natural endorphins. There are even classes you can take to exercise those laughter muscles!” — Paul Bailey
146. “Laughter is a very special gift. We have to be very careful that it is used appropriately and not at the expense of others. But if you want to give the best medicine,” help others learn to laugh.” — Floyd Kendall
147. “This may sound ridiculous, but yes, there are many who found laughter yoga therapy very effective.” — K.M. Kassi
148. “Laughter is the measurement of happiness.” — Creed McGregor
149. “Take note of people who smile and laugh and often, they’re attractive. People are drawn towards them. When you are filled with laughter you are filled with God’s Spirit.” — Michael Crenshaw
150. “Laughter is your response to what you find humorous, and often it mirrors who you are.” — Sandra V. Abell
Laughter Quotes To Give You Courage
151. “I think laughter may be a form of courage.” ― Linda Ellerbee
152. “Without egotism and full of feeling, laughter is the music of life.” ― William Osler
153. “Every blessed one of you feels better for that burst of laughter.” ― Ivor Novello
154. “The loud laugh that spoke the vacant mind.” ― Oliver Goldsmith
155. “Laughter is by definition healthy.” ― Doris Lessing
156. “I’d rather write about laughing then crying, For laughter makes men human, and courageous.” ― Francois Rabelais
157. “Laughter is the closest thing to the grace of God.” ― Karl Barth
158. “Laughter springs from the lawless part of our nature.” ― Agnes Repplier
159. “‘Tis a good thing to laugh at any rate; and if a straw can tickle a man, it is an instrument of happiness.” ― John Dryden
160. “That laughter costs too much which is purchased by the sacrifice of decency.” ― John Quinton
Laughter Quotes To Live a Joyful Life
161. “Grudges are a waste of perfect happiness. Laugh when you can. Apologize when you should and let go of what you can’t change.” — Drake
162. “Nobody ever died of laughter.” — Max Beerbohm
163. “Laughter is much more important than applause. Applause is almost a duty. Laughter is a reward.” — Carol Channing
164. “Back of every mistaken venture and defeat is the laughter of wisdom, if you listen.” — Carl Sandburg
165. “Remember me with smiles and laughter, for that is how I’ll remember you all. If you can only remember me with tears, then don’t remember me at all.” — Laura Ingalls Wilder
166. “It is cheerful to God when you rejoice or laugh from the bottom of your heart.” — Martin Luther King, Jr.
167. “Your joy is your sorrow unmasked. And the self-same well from which your laughter rises was often-times filled with your tears.” — Rene Descartes
168. “Laughter is very young, whereas tragedy, except the very highest of all, quickly becomes haggard.” — Lady Margaret Sackville
169. “We have to laugh. Because laughter, we already know, is the first evidence of freedom.” — Rosario Castellanos
170. “You are not angry with people when you laugh at them. Humor teaches tolerance.” — W. Somerset Maugham
Laughter Quotes To Fill You With Joy
171. “You cannot be mad at somebody who makes you laugh. It’s as simple as that.” — Jay Leno
172. “One way to keep from becoming bitter or broken is to look at the lighter side of situations. Laughter is a powerful reliever of stress and can be a great healer.” — Vivian Eisenecher
173. “Laughter is a bodily exercise, precious to health.” — Aristotle
174. “Laughter is therapy for physical pain, emotional pain, and the everyday pain of life.” — Terri Guillemets
175. “Laughter makes anger, stress, and worries go away, and lets happiness and a good mood fill you.” — Remez Sasson
176. “Laughter is what makes a home warm, and what makes a workplace human.” — Catherine Pulsifer
177. “Just imagine if we laughed more frequently, if we had the unmitigated courage to touch each other, it would be just the beginning of paradise now.” — Maya Angelou
178. “A wonderful thing about true laughter is that it just destroys any kind of system of dividing people.” — John Cleese
179. “Laughter has always brought me out of unhappy situations.” — Red Skelton
180. “Laugh often, friends, tho’ passing years bring, sometimes, smiles, and sometimes, tears, for mirth forever warms and cheers. Laugh often!” — John McLeod
Laughter Quotes To Get Back Your Joy
181. “Sometimes crying or laughing are the only options left, and laughing feels better right now.” ― Veronica Roth, Divergent
182. “I love people who make me laugh. I honestly think it’s the thing I like most, to laugh. It cures a multitude of ills. It’s probably the most important thing in a person.” ― Audrey Hepburn
183. “There is nothing in the world so irresistibly contagious as laughter and good humor.” ― Charles Dickens
184. “Laughter is wine for the soul – laughter soft, or loud and deep, tinged through with seriousness – the hilarious declaration made by man that life is worth living.” ― Sean O’Casey
185. “I know not all that may be coming, but be it what it will, I’ll go to it laughing.” ― Herman Melville
186. “I am the happiest creature in the world. Perhaps other people have said so before, but not one with such justice. I am happier even than Jane; she only smiles, I laugh.” ― Jane Austen
187. “Life is worth living as long as there’s a laugh in it.” ― Lucy Maud Montgomery
188. “I don’t trust anyone who doesn’t laugh.” ― Maya Angelou
189. “Laugh whenever you can. Keeps you from killing yourself when things are bad. That and vodka.” ― Jim Butcher
190. “There is a thin line that separates laughter and pain, comedy and tragedy, humor and hurt.” ― Erma Bombeck
Laughter Quotes to Bring a Smile to Your Face
191. “Don’t take yourself too seriously. Know when to laugh at yourself, and find a way to laugh at obstacles that inevitably present themselves.” ― Halle Berry
192. “Never set limits, go after your dreams, don’t be afraid to push the boundaries. And laugh a lot – it’s good for you!” ― Paula Radcliffe
193. “Laughter is no enemy to learning.” ― Walt Disney
194. “Sometimes laughter is the only way to process tough times.” ― Todd Burpo
195. “It is the simplest things in life that hold the most wonder; the color of the sea, the sand between your toes, the laughter of a child.” ― Goldie
196. “Imagination in the child is powerful. Reading and laughter and love are essential in our lives.” ― Malachy McCourt
197. “The only medicine that needs no prescription, has no unpleasant taste, and costs no money is laughter.” ― Evan Esar
198. “It is good to laugh. Laughter is spiritual relaxation.” ― Abdu’l-Bahá
199. “Even in despair, man must laugh.” ― Lin Yutang
200. “I prefer that laughter shall take me unawares. Only so can it master and dissolve me.” ― Max Beerbohm
What can laughter do for you today?
Maybe you can strengthen a friendship by lending a laugh to someone in need.
Maybe you can lighten your own burden by taking a step back and laughing at your own obstacles.
Maybe you could simply bring a little sunshine to work or school with an infectious round of laughter.
Wherever you decide to use it, always keep in mind that laughter is a powerful tool for creating connections, lifting people up, and fighting life’s toughest battles.
When you hear laughter, you know that someone has made a choice to be happy, even if just for a moment.
In troubling times, laughter can be courage in itself.
Did you enjoy these laughter quotes and sayings?
Which of the quotes is your favorite?
Tell us in the comment section below.
We would love to hear all about it in the comment section below.
June 25, 2020 at 3:32 PM
Here is another:
We don’t stop laughing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop laughing.
deanna j wynd
June 25, 2020 at 1:13 PM
I have always loved the wisdom of Khalil Gibran. He gives you a study of laughter and tears.