If you are not familiar with Cowboy Bebop (which has been referred to as “the best anime series ever created”) you might be wondering what all the fuss is about.
Let’s start with a bit of the back story.
Cowboy Bebop was actually created back in 1998, where it became a huge hit, both in Japan and the US.
The show is a blend of film noir, action, and comedy, while also focusing on a vision of the future that revolves around humanity and space.
Some of these Cowboy Bebop quotes are from the movie, which was released in 2001, while others are from the show.
Fans of the series were thrilled when it was announced that Netflix would revive the series into a live-action adaptation.
Spike Spiegel, the hitman who becomes a bounty hunter, should be making a return to our screens this fall.
John Cho will play the role of Spike, while Mustafa Shakir assumes the role of Jet Black.
Daniella Pineda will star as Faye Valentine.
This first season will be a ten-episode run.
If you haven’t seen the original, or the movie, keep reading through these Cowboy Bebop quotes to discover more about what the show is about.
Cowboy Bebop quotes from the movie
1. “Is there an indelible line dividing sanity from insanity, or do they change, one into the other, at the slightest turn of events? We’ll find out, soon enough, that the world itself is insane.” — Vincent Volaju
2. “Know much about purgatory? It’s the place between heaven and hell, where those who were left behind, unable to get into heaven continue to suffer, a place of struggle and pain. In other words, the world that we’re in now.” — Vincent Volaju
3. “Halloween is the one day when a soul in purgatory can be released. If he prays hard enough, he can go to heaven at last. Say your prayers.” — Vincent Volaju
4. “On Titan, I lost two things. One was my memory. I couldn’t even remember my own name. It’s like I wasn’t even alive to begin with.” — Vincent Volaju
5. “Before this life of yours ends, tell me something: Is my memory still left on Titan? Am I living in the real world? Or is this just a dream that these butterflies are showing me? Are they a part of the dream?” — Vincent Volaju
6. “It’s just that he was all alone. Always by himself. Never anyone to share the game. A man who lived in dreams—that’s who he was.” — Spike Spiegel
7. “Years ago, back when I was much younger, I was afraid of nothing. I had not the slightest fear of death. I was ready to die anytime. But then I met a special woman. She made me want to go on living. For the first time, I was afraid of death. A feeling I’d never had before.” — Spike Spiegel
8. “I’m just a gun-toting weathergirl.” — Faye Valentine
9. “Damn it! Morons don’t learn until they die!” — Faye Valentine
10. “Ugh! It’s ideas like this that get people killed!” — Faye Valentine
Cowboy Bebop quotes about hate, fear, death, and dreams
11. “Do not fear Death. Death is always at our side.” — Laughing Bull
12. “When we show fear, it jumps at us faster than light. But, if we do not show fear, it casts its eye upon us gently and then guides us into infinity.” — Laughing Bull
13. “I have no fear of death. It just means dreaming in silence. A dream that lasts for eternity.” — Vincent Volaju
14. “I’m not going there to die. I’m going to find out if I’m really alive.” — Spike Spiegel
15. “Men always seem to think about their past before they die, as though they were frantically searching for proof that they truly lived.” — Jet Black
16. “I felt like I was watching a dream I’d never wake up from. Before I knew it, the dream was all over.” — Spike Spiegel
17. “Once, there was a tiger striped cat. This cat, died a million deaths, revived and lived a million lives. And he had various owners that he didn’t really care about, the cat wasn’t afraid to die. Then ONE day, he met a white female cat, the two of them fell in love and lived together happily. Well, the years went by and the white female cat got old and passed away. The Tiger Striped cat cried a million times, then he also died. But this time he didn’t come back.” — Spike Spiegel
18. “It’s just like Charlie said in my dream. If you want to receive you have to give. See Spike, you got to listen to your dreams, that’s how you find your dream girl.” — Jet Black
19. “There are three things I hate the most: Kids, pets, and women with attitude. So tell me, why do we have all of them packed into our ship!?” — Spike Spiegel
Cowboy Bebop quotes about God, angels, humans, and souls
20. “A fallen angel banished from heaven, arises into the light to be received by the benevolence of God…” — Spike Spiegel
21. “Tell me, why do you think people believe in God? Because they want to. It’s not easy living in such an ugly and corrupt world… People are lost so they reach out… God didn’t create humans. No, it’s humans who created God.” — Dr. Londes
22. “The souls that God has given us, our spirits. Our spirits, which found a way to swim through the immense network and live in the infinity of space. Is not the human body a mere shell? A form of existence all too small and weak for consciousness with such vast reach and potential.” — Dr. Londes
23. “Angels banished from heaven have no choice but to become devils.” — Vicious
24. “Everything has a beginning and an end. Life is just a cycle of starts and stops. There are ends we don’t desire, but they’re inevitable. We have to face them. It’s what being human is all about.” — Jet Black
25. “Humans were meant to work and sweat for their money after all. Those that try to get rich quickly or live at expense of others – all get divine retribution along the way. That is the lesson. But, one thing about humans is that they quickly forget the lesson they have learnt.” — Jet Black
Spike Spiegel is a former member of the Red Dragon Syndicate, who left his life of crime by faking his death.
He and his partner Jet Black (who is the captian of the spaceship Bebop) are legalized intergalactic bounty hunters.
The pair chase criminals across the planets and stars of the solar system.
During their adventures Spike is pulled back into a feud with Vicious, an old rival from his crime syndicate days, who has vowed to kill him.
Spike has a naturally “uncool” and charismatic pull that makes it easy for others to follow his lead.
It will be interesting to see how the character holds up in the new live-action series.
Cowboy Bebop has also been adapted into manga and video games.
If you are a diehard Cowboy Bebop fan, let us know what your favorite adaptation of the show was using the comment section below.
If you haven’t seen it before, then you have some time to binge watch the anime series on Hulu Plus, before the live action show premieres on Netflix.
You can also watch the movie using Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime Video.
August 10, 2022 5:00 AM EST