These blended family quotes will inspire you to create a lovely, peaceful home.
Growing up in a blended family is an experience that is becoming more and more common.
A blended family is one that includes children from different biological parents.
It may include full parents, children, and siblings as well as step-siblings, half-siblings, step-children, and step-parents.
Some people also include adoption and fostering as blended family situations, although others do not consider this a blended family.
What is it like when you are part of a blended family?
You may find the experience of growing up in or raising a blended family to be challenging at times.
It brings its own new territory to be conquered, yet it also offers its own valuable new rewards.
While it can be difficult and tense to bring together people from different family backgrounds under one roof, a blended family also means you have more people in your life to love, and who will love you.
Below is our collection of inspirational, wise and loving blended family quotes and sayings, collected from a variety of sources over the years.
Also check out these co-parenting quotes and sayings to inspire separated parents.
Check out our most popular quote article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily inspiration.
Check out our inspirational quotes category page for more inspirational life quotes.
Blended Family Quotes To Live By
1. “Family isn’t defined only by last names or by blood; it’s defined by commitment and by love. It means showing up when they need it most. It means having each other’s backs. It means choosing to love each other even on those days when you struggle to like each other. It means never giving up on each other!” – Dave Willis
2. “The secret to blending families is… There is no secret. It’s scary and awesome and ragged and perfect and always changing. Love and laugh hard, try again tomorrow, but that’s life advice, right?” – Mir Kamin
3. “There is no such thing as a broken family. Family is family and is not determined by marriage certificates, divorce papers, and adoption documents. Families are made in the heart.” – C. Joybell C.
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of adoption quotes about the power of expanding your family and helping others.
4. “For those of you that say, ‘This is not what I signed up for,’ remember that life is not built for your comfort. Life is built by lessons that test you, and push you with every possibility of either demolishing your foundation or reinforcing it!” – Jessica James
5. “The bond that links your true family is not one of blood, but of respect and joy in each other’s life.” – Richard Bach
6. “A family portrait is only complete with love to fill its frame.” – Wes Fesler
7. “There is no such thing as a perfect parent. So just be a real one.” – Sue Atkins
8. “Call it a clan, call it a network, call it a tribe, call it a family: Whatever you call it, whoever you are, you need one.” – Jane Howard
9. “Instead of raising children who turn out okay despite their childhood, let’s raise children who turn out extraordinary because of their childhood.” – L.R. Knost
10. “I didn’t give you the gift of life, but life gave me the gift of you.” – Unknown
11. “I don’t believe an accident of birth makes people sisters or brothers. It makes them siblings, gives them mutuality of parentage. Sisterhood and brotherhood is a condition people have to work at.” – Maya Angelou
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of brotherhood quotes that will keep you humble and remind you of the beauty of family and friendship.
12. “Live one day at a time (or one moment if you have to). Blend little by little and celebrate even the smallest breakthrough.” – Andi Parker-Kimbrough
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of one day at a time quotes to live by.
Blended Family Quotes About Step-Family
13. “Families don’t have to match. You don’t have to look like someone else to love them.” – Leigh Anne Tuohy
14. “A step-sibling is one giant step in growing in life, together.” – Sally Painter
15. “Sibling relationships outlast marriages, survive the death of parents, resurface after quarrels that would sink any friendship. They flourish in a thousand incarnations of closeness and distance, warmth, loyalty and distrust.” – Erica E. Goode
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of sibling quotes to cherish your BFF by blood!
16. “When it feels as if you can’t do right by the other parent, do right by your step-child instead. You’ll never fail with their best interest at heart.” – Jessica James
17. “What I’m doing isn’t about me, it’s about the two little kids that my husband brought into my life. It is about them and making sure that they feel safe, happy, and supported.” – Rose Quinn
18. “The truth is that the way our ex’s, our partner’s ex’s or even our step-kids see us isn’t always about us – it’s about them and their struggles, insecurities, fears or limitations. You don’t have to allow their judgment to become your truth.” – Danielle Koepke
If you’re enjoying these quotes, you’ll love our collection of ex quotes to help you make the most out of your break-up.
19. “Any man can help make a child, but it takes a special man to help raise a child.” – Tony Gaskins
20. “Lookin’ back, all I can say about all the things he did for me is, I hope I’m at least half the dad that he didn’t have to be.” – Brad Paisley
21. “Step-parenting and being a step-sibling presents a lot of exciting opportunities. When families break up and re-form, there may be less order, less certainty, and a bit more trauma involved, but kids can end up having half-a-dozen parent figures.” – Morris Gleitzman
22. “Step parents are not around to replace a biological parent, rather to augment a child’s life experience.” – Azriel Johnson
23. “Being a stepmom means they grew inside of my heart instead of my tummy.” – Unknown
Blended Family Quotes About Co-Parenting
24. “Make a positive difference in your children’s lives. Act and speak about your co-parent with respect and integrity.” – Allison Pescosolido
25.) “To be in your children’s memories tomorrow, you have to be in their lives today.” – Barbara Johnson
26.) “Don’t worry that children never listen to you; worry that they are always watching you.” – Robert Fulghum
27. “It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.” – Frederick Douglass
28. “The best security blanket a child can have is parents who respect each other.” – Jane Blaustone
29. “Your children need your presence more than your presents.” – Jesse Jackson
30. “Remember you are not managing an inconvenience. You are raising a human being.” – Kittie Frantz
31. “Co-parenting. It’s not a competition between two homes. It’s a collaboration of parents doing what is best for the kids.” – Heather Hetchler
32. “I’m very fortunate because we’re committed to co-parenting our children together.” – Elle Macpherson
33. “Think of it as an important business project; you don’t always love the person that you’re working with, but you work together to get the project done. Co-parents need to adopt this same business model when co-parenting their children.” – Kela Price
34. “When you look at your life, the greatest happinesses are family happinesses.” – Joyce Brothers
35. “Stop thinking that things are going to be perfect. It’s not going to happen. The kids will not get along all the time, the house will not always be quiet, you will not always hear ‘please’ and ‘thank you.’ It isn’t realistic. What is realistic is taking stock of how incredibly lucky you are to have more children to love and to guide.” – Kellee Mulkerin-Ford
36. “Pick your battles with everyone, including yourself… remind yourself every day that you have been given another chance at love and cherish that opportunity.” – Jessica Warrick
37. “At the end of the day, the most overwhelming key to a child’s success is the positive involvement of the parents.” – Jane D. Hull
38. “When you tell a child you hate their other parent, you are telling them you hate half of who they are.” – Unknown
39. “Divorce isn’t the child’s fault. Don’t say anything unkind about your ex to the child, because you’re really just hurting the child.” – Valerie Bertinelli
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of divorce quotes that will help you get through the pain of separation.
Blended Family Quotes About Love
40. “The most important thing in the world is family and love.” – John Wooden
41. “Nothing is better than going home to family and eating good food and relaxing.” – Irina Shayk
42. “To us, family means putting your arms around each other and being there.” – Barbara Bush
43. “In family life, love is the oil that eases friction, the cement that binds closer together, and the music that brings harmony.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
44. “Other things may change us, but we start and end with the family.” – Anthony Brandt
45. “Having somewhere to go is home. Having someone to love is family. And having both is a blessing.” – Unknown
46. “Being a family means you are a part of something very wonderful. It means you will love and be loved for the rest of your life.” – Lisa Weed
47. “Family is not an important thing. It’s everything.” – Michael J. Fox
48. “The memories we make with our family is everything.” – Candace Cameron Bure
49. “Family is family.” – Linda Linney
50. “The family is one of nature’s masterpieces.” – George Santayana
51. “The family – that dear octopus from whose tentacles we never quite escape, nor, in our inmost hearts, ever quite wish to.” – Dodie Smith
52. “It didn’t matter how big our house was; it mattered that there was love in it.” – Peter Buffett
53. “Families are the compass that guides us. They are the inspiration to reach great heights, and our comfort when we occasionally falter.” – Brad Henry
54. “The only rock I know that stays steady, the only institution I know that works, is the family.” – Lee Iacocca
55. “When trouble comes, it’s your family that supports you.” – Guy Lafleur
Encouraging blended family quotes
56. “You’re facing one of the most important challenges of your life. Yet, being a member of a blended family can be an exciting adventure for all concerned.” –Kathie M. Thompson
57. “The blended family isn’t just an ordinary family times two. It’s a special kind of family with special needs.” –Maxine Marsolin
58. “We had grown into one another somewhere along the way. We were officially a team.” –Shannon A. Thompson
59. “Sticking with your family is what makes it a family.” –Mitch Albom
60. “There will always be steps you can take toward unity in your blended family. You will make—one step at a time!” –Donna Houpe
61. “Blended families are a beautiful mix of diverse people who each serve an important role in our lives. At times, it can be challenging to appreciate everyone’s unique beauty.” –Deanna Keller La Rosa
62. “Becoming a blended family means mixing, mingling, scrambling, and sometimes muddling our way through delicate family issues, complicated relationships, and individual differences, hurts, and fears. But through it all, we are learning to love like a family.” –Tom Frydenger
63. “The first key to balancing your busy life and creating a peaceful environment for your blended family to thrive in, lies in defining your family values—first as a couple, then as a family.” –Kellye Laughery
64. “Don’t worry if you’re not an instant, happily-ever-after blended family. Expect to endure ‘I give up’ days and rejoice in the ‘I can do this,’ days. It will take work, dedication, an excellent sense of humor, and strong resolve. But hey, since when has any family taken the easy route? Don’t do ‘easy’—do ‘worth it!’” –Jessica James
65. “Remember why you chose to come together in the first place—the love that you have for your partner. Your partner’s children are an extension of them and this makes them just as important to your happiness.” –Beth Happiness
Blended Family Quotes For Effort To Maintain Unity
66. “I married my wife and she brought these two amazing kids into my life, and we were realizing, God there’s nothing out there in fiction about blended families.” — Jeff Probst
67. “I cannot say whether things will get better if we change; what I can say is they must change if they are to get better.” — George C. Lichtenberg
68. “Being a stepdad… has taught me, really, what love is like, what life is really like (and) how God intends us to love. One of the greatest gifts in the world is children.” — Russell Wilson
69. “Family is a lifejacket in the stormy sea of life.” — J.K. Rowling
70. “Who cares if another woman or man loves your child, plays with your child, or builds a healthy relationship with your child – either way your child is benefiting. Did you read that? YOUR CHILD IS BENEFITING. That’s whats important – nothing else.” — Jessica James
71. “It takes a lot of work to put together a marriage; to put together a family and a home.” — Elizabeth Edwards
72. “I never wanted kids. Then I became a stepmom, and there was no place I’d rather be than with them.” — Gabrielle Union
73. “Be grateful for the home you have, knowing that at this moment, all you have is all you need.” — Sarah Ban Breathnach
74. “Think of your family today and every day thereafter. Don’t let the busy world of today keep you from showing how much you love and appreciate them.” — Josiah
75. “The memories you make with your family are everything.” — Candace Cameron Bure
You might also like these inspirational quotes for kids about positive behavior.
What challenges might you face in a blended family?
Some difficulties can arise within a blended family because of leftover pain from past marriages and relationships that fell apart, whereas other conflicts can arise simply by trying to navigate new relationships in a close family setting.
In every situation, it’s important to keep the love for your family, especially your children, as the number one priority.
When you know that love is your priority, other decisions and interactions become simple.
Patience, too, is key for every member of a blended family.
You will find yourself needing to call on this patience at times as you wait for another person to remember that the priority is love, and act accordingly.
When you can keep love at the forefront of your feelings, and patience to help keep frustration at bay, you’ll reap the full rewards of living in a blended family.
What’s your biggest takeaway from these blended family quotes and sayings?
Do you have any other favorite quotes to add?
Let us know in the comment section.
September 21, 2022 7:00 AM EST