These motivational gentleman quotes will inspire you to become an upstanding member of society.
These inspirational quotes will encourage you on your journey of elegance and self-improvement.
Using the comment section below, tell us what it means to you to be a gentleman.
You may also enjoy our article on:
What are the benefits of reading gentleman quotes?
Being a gentleman comes down to action and behavior.
Anyone can indulge in a life of class and acclaim if they make the right choices.
This collection of wise words will teach you how to be the perfect gentleman.
Gentlemen still exist in the world today, but they are rare.
A modern gentleman lives a life of:
It’s difficult to always maintain a thoughtful and dapper demeanor, but these gentleman quotes will help you take action and become a better man.
Show these quotes to your husband or boyfriend if you want to encourage them to act like a modern gentleman.
These incredible pieces of advice come from the minds of celebrities, philosophers, and other leading experts on true gentlemen.
Don’t forget to also read these good man quotes that will inspire you to do your best.
If you like this article, we suggest you explore our most popular quotes article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily encouragement.
Check out more inspirational quotes on our motivational quotes category page.
Gentleman quotes that will inspire you to live a classy, dapper life
1. “A gentleman is one who puts more into the world than he takes out.” – George Bernard Shaw
You will also enjoy our article on Facebook quotes.
2. “A gentleman will not insult me, and no man not a gentleman can insult me.” – Frederick Douglass
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of John Locke quotes on character, wealth, and more.
3. “A man who is a master of patience is master of everything else.” – George Savile
You will also enjoy our article on self-respect quotes.
4. “A gentleman is one who never hurts anyone’s feelings unintentionally.” – Oscar Wilde
You will also enjoy our article on respect quotes.
5. “Think like a man of action, act like a man of thought.” – Henri Bergson
You will also enjoy our article on devil quotes.
6. “It is almost a definition of a gentleman to say that he is one who never inflicts pain.” – John Henry Newman
You will also enjoy our article on barber quotes.
7. “Education begins the gentleman, but reading, good company and reflection must finish him.” – John Locke
You will also enjoy our article on David Bowie quotes.
8. “Being male is a matter of birth. Being a man is a matter of age. But being a gentleman is a matter of choice.” – Vin Diesel
You will also enjoy our article on self respect quotes.
9. “Man is never so manly as when he feels deeply, acts boldly and expresses himself with frankness and with fervor.” – Benjamin Disraeli
You will also enjoy our article on uncertainty quotes.
10. “With a gentleman I am always a gentleman and a half, and with a fraud I try to be a fraud and a half.” – Otto von Bismarck
You will also enjoy our article on Joker quotes.
Gentleman quotes that will inspire you to make the right choices
11. “As a general rule, it pays to be confident, helpful and nice.” – Colin Wright
You will also enjoy our article on patience quotes.
12. “A gentleman is never rude except on purpose – I can honestly be nasty sober, believe you me.” – Christopher Hitchens
You will also enjoy our article on Don Quixote quotes.
13. “Don’t raise your voice. Improve your argument.” – Desmond Tutu
You will also enjoy our article on grandma quotes.
14. “A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do.” – Bob Dylan
You will also enjoy our article on Lupin quotes.
15. “I would like to think that I’m a gentleman and a nice guy.” – Logic
You will also enjoy our article on Wiz Khalifa quotes.
16. “A gentleman knows his actions carry more weight than any words spoken.” – Unknown
You will also enjoy our article on choice quotes.
17. “Whether the gentleman is capable or not, he is loved all the same; conversely the petty man is loathed all the same.” – Xun Kuang
You will also enjoy our article on attitude quotes.
18. “Prayer gives a man the opportunity of getting to know a gentleman he hardly ever meets. I do not mean his maker, but himself.” – William Inge
19. “No gentleman ever discusses any relationship with a lady.” – Keith Miller
You will also enjoy our article on Two and a Half Men quotes.
20. “Courtesy is as much a mark of a gentleman as courage.” – Theodore Roosevelt
These inspiring promise quotes about keeping your word will remind you to always be honest and honorable.
Gentleman quotes to encourage you on your journey of elegance and self-improvement
21. “Choose being kind over being right and you’ll be right every time.” – Richard Carlson
22. “My ideal man is faithful, honest, and a gentleman who knows how to treat women.” – Irina Shayk
23. “Excellence is not a skill, it’s an attitude.” – Ralph Marston
24. “For me, the best thing you can do as a man in loving someone is to do your best, go on that walk, and at the end of that walk be as much of a gentleman as you were in the beginning.” – Ryan Adams
25. “I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.” – William Ernest Henley
26. “This is the final test of a gentleman: his respect for those who can be of no possible service to him.” – William Lyon Phelps
27. “A gentleman is simply a patient wolf.” – Lana Turner
28. “I think you should take your job seriously, but not yourself. That is the best combination.” – Dame Judi Dench
29. “Profaneness is a brutal vice. He who indulges in it is no gentleman.” – Edwin Hubbel Chapin
30. “If you cannot do great things, do small things in a great way.” – Napoleon Hill
Gentleman quotes to give you a fresh perspective
31. “I was brought up to be a gentleman. That means you know how to walk, talk and dress the part.” – Brian McKnight
32. “Hardship is the native soil of manhood and self-reliance.” – John Neal
33. “It’s attention to detail that makes the difference between average and stunning.” – Francis Atterbury
34. “I’m a gentleman, if nothing else. It’s taken me years to become one, but finally I have a sense of propriety.” – Eric Stoltz
35. “The look of a gentleman is little else than the reflection of the looks of the world.” – William Hazlitt
36. “If you work really hard and you’re kind, amazing things will happen.” – Conan O’ Brien
37. “I am a gentleman. My natural inclination is to be on my best behavior.” – Joe Wilson
38. “It’s fine to celebrate success, but it is more important to heed the lessons of failure.” – Bill Gates
39. “The word of a gentleman is as good as his bond; and sometimes better.” – Charles Dickens
40. “Good manners are just a way of showing other people that we have respect for them.” – Bill Kelly
More gentlemanly quotes to inspire you
41. “Anyone can be heroic from time to time, but a gentleman is something you have to be all the time.” – Luigi Pirandello
42. “Masculinity is not something given to you, but something you gain. And you gain it by winning small battles with honor.” – Norman Mailer
43. “A man is only as good as his words are.” – Frank Sinatra
44. “People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” – Maya Angelou
45. “If they respect you, respect them. If they disrespect you, still respect them.” – Mohammad Zeyara
46. “Respect for ourselves guides our morals, respect for others guides our manners.” – Laurence Sterne
47. “The very first thing you learn if you’re a gentleman is that you never compare one woman to another. That’s the way of all death.” – Patrick Macnee
48. “A gentleman has his eyes on all those present; he is tender toward the bashful, gentle toward the distant, and merciful toward the absent.” – Lawrence G. Lovasik
49. “A true gentleman is one who is never unintentionally rude.” – Unknown
50. “And though it is much to be a nobleman, it is more to be a gentleman.” – Anthony Trollope
Gentleman quotes that show why they’re important
51. “A true gentleman is one that apologizes anyways, even though he has not offended a lady intentionally. He is in a class all of his own because he knows the value of a woman’s heart.” -Shannon Alder
52. “A gentleman is someone who does not what he wants to do, but what he should do.” -Haruki Murakami
53. “Chivalry: It’s the little boy that kisses my hand, the young man who holds the door open for me, and the old man who tips his hat to me. None of it is a reflection of me, but a reflection of them.” – Donna Lynn Hope
54. “The gentleman is dignified but not arrogant. The small man is arrogant but not digified.” -Confucius
55. “A gentleman by definition is a man who makes everyone around him feel comfortable. Arrogance who only thinks of himself without considering the needs of others is the opposite of a gentleman. They can both be wealthy, they don’t have to be, but they cannot both be gentlemen.” -Oliver Oyanadel
56. “Though he was her enemy, he treated her with unfailing courtesy.” – Jacqueline Carey
57.“he was a gentleman on whom I built / an absolute trust.” ― Sharon Olds
58. “A gentleman, I hope it will become clear, is not simply a man who stands apart. He is a man who stands up for others—sometimes even for his enemies—often when those others have no clue that he is there for them.” – Brad Miner
59. “Gentlemen always walk ladies home.” – Gabriellyn Gidman
60. “Austen suggests that a gentleman is made, not born – and made only through a process of painful self-reflection and discovery.” – Emily Auerbach
Insightful Quotes to Make You a Better Gentleman
61. “Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.” – Greg King
62. “A man does what he must—in spite of personal consequences, in spite of obstacles and dangers and pressures—and that is the basis of all human morality.” – Winston Churchill
63. “Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.” – Ian Maclaren
64. “A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.” – Albert Einstein
65. “Have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow know what you truly want to become.” – Steve Jobs
66. “Be humble. Be hungry. And be the hardest worker in the room.” – Dwayne Johnson
67. “Celebrate the effort, for it is in the trying that you discover you.” – Sima Dahl
68. “Don’t hide your scars, they make you who you are.” – Frank Sinatra
69. “Be so good they can’t ignore you.” – Steve Martin
Gentleman quotes about how to be a good man
70. “Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak. Courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.” – Winston Churchill
71. “Don’t wait until you are ready to take action. Instead, take action to be ready.” – Jensen Siaw
72. “I live my life through fear. If I’m afraid of it I’ll do it just so I’m not afraid of it anymore.” – Jeremy Renner
73. “You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry.” – Abraham Lincoln
74. “Hard work doesn’t guarantee success, but it improves its chances.” – B.J. Gupta
75. “I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have.” – Thomas Jefferson
76. “I walk slowly, but never backward.” – Abraham Lincoln
77. “Looking good isn’t self-importance; it’s self-respect.” – Charles Nix
78. “Make it simple, but significant.” – Don Draper
79. “It’s hard to beat a person who never gives up.” – Babe Ruth
80. “Lies run sprints, but the truth runs marathons.” – Michael Jackson
Gentleman Quotes To Understand Their Character
81. “The gentleman is calm and at ease. The gentleman is dignified but not proud; the small man is proud but not dignified.” ― Confucius
82. “No real gentleman will tell the naked truth in the presence of ladies.” ― Mark Twain
83. “Being a gentleman is a worthy goal.” ― Orlando Bloom
84. “A gentleman makes friends by learning together with others, and he looks to friends to help him cultivate benevolence.” ― Zengzi
85. “The object of golf is not just to win. It is to play like a gentleman, and win.” ― Phil Mickelson
86. “A gentleman is not disturbed by anything.” ― Aristotle
87. “Propriety of manners, and consideration for others, are the two main characteristics of a gentleman.” ― Benjamin Disraeli
88. “A gentleman can live through anything.” ― William Faulkner
89. “A gentleman is any man who wouldn’t hit a woman with his hat on.” ― Fred Allen
90. “A gentleman wishes to be slow to speak and quick to act.” ― Confucius
Gentleman Quotes About Their Kind Nature
91. “A gentleman has ease without familiarity, is respectful without meanness; genteel without affectation, insinuating without seeming art.” — Lord Chesterfield
92. “Honest men are the gentlemen of nature.” — Edward Bulwer-Lytton
93. “I received many years of good advice from my father – how to live, how to play, how to be a gentleman.” — Arnold Palmer
94. “An inebriated elderly gentleman in the last depths of shabbiness… played the calm and virtuous old men.” — Charles Dickens
95. “The gentleman desires to be halting in speech but quick in action.” — Confucius
96. “A gentleman of one of the first fortunes upon the continent…sacrificing his ease, and hazarding all in the cause of his country.” — John Quincy Adams
97. “In proceeding to the dining-room, the gentleman gives one arm to the lady he escorts–it is unusual to offer both.” — Lewis Carroll
98. “I’ll do business with anyone, but I’ll only go sailing with gentlemen.” — J. P. Morgan
99. “That man will never be a perfect gentleman who lives only with gentlemen. To be a man of the world, we must view that world in every grade and in every perspective.” — Edward Bulwer-Lytton
100. “A gentleman does not promote a man on account of what he says; nor does he reject sayings, because the speaker is what he is.” — Confucius
Gentleman Quotes About Their Personality
101. “A gentleman is one who understands and shows every mark of deference to the claims of self-love in others, and exacts it in return from them.” ― William Hazlitt
102. “The flowering of civilization is the finished man—the man of sense, of grace, of accomplishment, of social power—the gentleman.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
103. “A real gentleman is as polite to a little girl as to a woman.” ― Louisa May Alcott
104. “Repose and cheerfulness are the badge of the gentleman—repose in energy.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
105. “A gentleman is someone who can play the accordion, but doesn’t.” ― Tom Waits
106. “However much the right honorable gentleman may dance around the ring beforehand, at some point, he will come within the reach of a big clunking fist.” ― Tony Blair
107. “A man who needs women to prove his worth is a man who’ll never be worthy. A Gentleman finds his worth in himself and his pride in a women.” ― Moyo Adekoya
108. “Arrive as a king, leave as a legend, be remembered as a gentleman.” ― Ankeet Patel
109. “Be well dressed, behave like a gentleman, and keep your shoes shined.” ― Joseph Abboud
110. “Being a gentleman has nothing to do with the circumstances of one’s birth. Being a gentleman is something one learns.” ― Harry Hart
Timeless Gentleman Quotes To Make You Kind
111. “We must be gentle now we are gentlemen.” ― William Shakespeare
112. “There is rough work to be done, and rough men must do it; there is gentle work to be done, and gentlemen must do it.” ― John Ruskin
113. “The Perfect Gentlemen are perfectly delightful, musically superb and thoroughly entertaining.” ― David Zippel
114. “We gentlemen, whose chariot’s roll only upon the four aces, are apt to have a wheel out of order.” ― John Vanbrugh
115. “My master hath been an honorable gentleman; tricks he hath had in him which gentlemen have.” ― William Shakespeare
116. “What I will no longer accept is the mediocre life of a modest little gentleman.” ― Joan Miro
117. “The manner of a vulgar man has freedom without ease, and the manner of a gentleman has ease without freedom.” ― Lord Chesterfield
118. “There is no such passion in human nature, as the passion for gravy among commercial gentlemen.” ― Charles Dickens
119. “When a gentlemen is disposed to swear, it is not for any standers-by to curtail his oaths.” ― William Shakespeare
120. “I do pity unlearned gentlemen on a rainy day.” ― Lucius Cary
Gentleman Quotes To Enhance Your Good Qualities
121. “You are mistaken; he is not a gentleman but a sir. Just a sir. For a gentleman is grander and a rare acquaintance.” ― Richelle E. Goodrich
122. “The definition of a gentleman is a man who enters a revolving door in front of you and exits behind you.” ― Chloe Thurlow
123. “We sometimes meet an original gentleman, who, if manners had not existed, would have invented them.” — Ralph Waldo Emerson
124. “A true gentleman makes demands upon himself but not upon others.” — Confucius
125. “The true gentleman does not preach what he practices till he has practiced what he preaches.” — Confucius
126. “The first requisite of a gentleman is to be true, brave and noble, and to be therefore a rebuke and scandal to venal and vulgar souls.” — John Lancaster Spalding
127. “A Gentleman is a prime example of what a man should be.” ― Pontius Joseph
128. “A gentleman would be ashamed should his deeds not match his words.” — Confucius
129. “Thoughtfulness for others, generosity, modesty, and self-respect are the qualities which make a real gentleman or lady.” — Thomas Huxley
130. “An arrogant man needs to humble himself as a boy, to be a gentleman.” ― Anthony Liccione
Which inspirational gentleman quotes encourage you to indulge in a life of elegance?
Being a true gentleman requires a lifetime of hard work and consistent behavior.
Although the path to excellence may be challenging, the results are worth it.
Gentlemen are successful and well-liked people.
If you want the motivation to change your life and become an upstanding member of society, read these gentleman quotes.
The first step to becoming a gentleman is understanding the traits and lifestyle you’re expected to maintain.
This collection of quotes and advice will give you a fresh perspective on everything.
It’s possible to reach your dreams if you create a plan and follow through with action.
Share these gentleman quotes with all the men you know who could use inspiration or guidance.
What are your favorite gentleman quotes and sayings to guide you as you live a classy, dapper life?
Let us know in the comment section below.
February 1, 2023 5:00 AM EST