We all know what “assume” -ing makes of us, so read these don’t assume quotes to keep your assumptions in check!
Assumptions are a big part of our reality, but sometimes they can become toxic.
You might also like these related articles:
Find out more with our don’t assume quotes below.
What are assumptions?
We have all made assumptions before, but what are assumptions?
An assumption is an unexamined belief; they are what we think without realizing we believe it.
A lot of assumptions people make have yet to be thought about critically.
Check out these facts about assumptions below:
- Everyone assumes.
- Assumptions are a big part of the scientific process.
- Just because we assume something is true doesn’t mean it is.
Where do assumptions come from?
At its core, assumption is a survival trait handed down to us from ancient ancestors.
Ancient humans lived in a different world than us.
They had to traverse the wilderness, where they were subject to various dangers.
Making assumptions became an essential part of survival.
Humanity made animal movement, hunting grounds, climate, and weather assumptions.
They had to observe and make assumptions about seasons, ocean tides, or which foods were safe.
Many assumptions early humanity made were dangerous.
Why do people assume?
Today we do not live with those kinds of dangers.
Yet, humanity still makes assumptions that do not bode well for them.
Why would we do this to ourselves?
First, we have to question what we are assuming.
It is one thing to assume the day will remain sunny with no rain because you planned a family picnic.
It is another thing to assume your coworker doesn’t like you and thinks they are better than you.
The former assumption is neutral and grounded in a desire for well-being.
The latter is an assumption based on competition, fear, and the unknown.
People assume for many reasons.
However, scientists find that bias is critical to why people assume.
Most of the time, impromptu assumptions are triggered by biases.
Biases can be either conscious or unconscious.
If you want to learn more, check out our don’t assume quotes below.
Short don’t assume quotes about ignorance and lack of information
Let’s get started with some quick and dirty don’t assume quotes.
1. “Never assume. Ask.” — Hlovate
2. “I’m trusting. I don’t assume people lie to me.” — Ben Sprecher
3. “Never assume someone is smarter than you.” — Bethenny Frankel
4. “Don’t assume I’m dumb because I wear a suit and tie.” — David Mamet
5. “Respond; don’t react. Listen; don’t talk. Think; don’t assume.” — Raji Lukkoor
6. “We must never assume that which is incapable of proof.” — George Henry Lewe
7. “Always question things; never assume that what you’re told is true.” — Joseph Delaney
8. “Don’t assume the world evolved in the order in which you discovered it.” — Raymond E Feist
9. “Do not assume anything. You will be better off if you learn to question everything.” — C. JoyBell C.
10. “You have no right to assume things due to ignorance or lack of information.” — Rajesh Mirchandani
The top don’t assume quotes for keeping an open mind
A learning mindset means you never think you know too much about anything.
11. “Never assume the obvious is true.” — William Safire
12. “Never assume you understand. Ask the questions.” — Brian Tracy
13. “Never assume. Only rely on facts to base your decisions.” — Steven Redhead
14. “Never assume you know where someone else is coming from.” — Blake Crouch
15. “Never assume. Question everything. Always look beyond the obvious.” — C.J. Tudor
16. “Never assume that someone else will do it. Take responsibility and be the change.” — Ginni Rometty
17. “Never assume that you’re stuck with the way things are. Life changes, and so can you.” — Ralph Marston
18. “Never assume people’s reactions to your ideas, instead find ways to validate them first.” — Amit Kalantri
19. “We never know the quality of someone else’s life, though we seldom resist the temptation to assume and pass judgment.” — Tami Hoag
20. “Never assume you can survive the future because you’ve survived the past. Everyone thinks that, and they’ve all been wrong eventually.” — Daniel Abraham
The best don’t assume quotes for keeping communication open
A key to meaningful conversation is not to assume we know what the other person is say until they express themselves.
21. “Never assume that you know the mind of another.” — Pam Jenoff
22. “Never assume the past will determine the future.” — Kurt Tucholsky
23. “Never assume that habitual silence means ability in reserve.” — Geoffrey Madan
24. “It’s a mistake to assume that people know what you know.” — Margaret Heffernan
25. “Never assume that others have understood exactly what you mean.” — Steven Redhead
26. “Never assume the other guy will never do something you would never do.” — Willie Mays
27. “Never assume anything, expect the unexpected, be ready for everything all the time.” — Gary Paulsen
28. “Don’t assume that something is impossible just because it hasn’t been done before.” — Richelle E. Goodrich
29. “Never assume that you know everything. There is always something new to learn.” — Anurag Prakash Ray
30. “You should never assume. You know what happens when you assume. You make an ass out of you and me because that’s how it’s spelled.” — Ellen DeGeneres
Famous don’t assume quotes about life
Check out this diverse selection of don’t assume quotes.
31. “Don’t assume, ask. Be kind. Tell the truth.” — Warsan Shire
32. “Never assume you are not attractive enough.” — Sherry Argov
33. “Don’t assume a door is closed; push on it.” — Marian Wright Edelman
34. “One of the worst things anybody can do is assume.” — Mike Krzyzewski
35. “Don’t assume if it was closed yesterday that it is closed today.” — Marian Wright Edelman
36. [Successful people] believe. They work hard, and they prepare. But they don’t assume. — Mike Krzyzewski
37. “I think fools assume. If people have really got it together, they never assume anything.” — Mike Krzyzewski
38. “Don’t assume that you understand the motivations of others. Ask questions, listen, and be open-minded.” — Dianna Booher
39. “You should never assume anything coming from a critical standpoint. You should go into everything assuming you’re going to get crushed.” — Steven Soderbergh
40. “Never assume that the person you are dealing with is weaker or less important than you are. Some people are slow to take offense, which may make you misjudge the thickness of their skin and fail to worry about insulting them.” — Robert Greene
Don’t assume quotes and sayings to live by
Let’s close it out with some insightful don’t assume quotes.
41. “Never assume that you can make it alone.” — Gordon B. Hinckley
42. “Assume’ makes an ‘ass’ out of ‘u’ and ‘me.’” — Karen Marie Moning, Darkfever
43. “Never assume that people think the same way as you do. Listen and be open-minded.” — Hal Turner
44. “Don’t make assumptions about what other people know or don’t know; ask questions instead.” — Lou Ozark
45. “Never assume anything because even when you think you know all the facts, there may be more to learn.” — T. Springer Dale
46. “Never assume that anyone in this world can really understand your circumstances other than from their own perspective.” — Sidi Ahmad Zarruq
47. “Don’t take the high ground and assume you already know what you’ll do. The truth is, when it comes to someone you love, you’ll find there isn’t anything you won’t do.” — Richelle Mead
48. “Never assume that you have attained truth. Don’t make any claim to knowledge. Form no conclusion or evaluation concerning truth. The minute you do, your downfall is assured.” — Mooji
49. “Never assume greatness is for someone else. Imagine every day that you, too, can do great things. Have the courage to take the challenge, make the mistakes, and move forward.” — Brandi Chastain
50. “The rule of the game was never assume that anybody, however honorable, would be able to stand up under torture. If Mr. X, who knew where I was, was caught for some reason, I should move.” — Abraham Pais
How can we not assume so much?
If you think perhaps you assume too much, put your perspective to the test.
Ask yourself the following questions:
- What am I taking for granted?
- Am I assuming something I shouldn’t?
- How can I determine whether this assumption is accurate?
If your responses are clear, concise, and honest, you are doing great.
If not, then you may have room for improvement about how much you assume.
Let us know your favorite don’t assume quotes in the comments below.