Our latest collection of Ellen DeGeneres quotes on Everyday Power blog.
Ellen DeGeneres is one of the most popular present-day comedians and television hosts.
She is well-known for her award-winning talk show, The Ellen DeGeneres Show, as well as being a staunch advocate of LGBT rights.
Born on January 26, 1958, in Metairie, Louisiana, DeGeneres started her stand-up career in the early 1980s.
She has appeared as judge on American Idol and has hosted the Academy Awards, Grammy Awards as well as the Primetime Emmys.
In addition, DeGeneres owns a production company and is the author of four books.
A successful media personality, she has received numerous awards for her work, and is also a recipient of the Presidential Medal of Freedom.
Here are some of our favorite Ellen DeGeneres quotes on how we can live a life with meaning, purpose and joy!
We also have a collection of Dave Chappelle quotes that are funny and insightful.
Don’t forget to read that as well.
Check out our most popular quote article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily inspiration.
If you enjoy this collection, check out our inspirational quotes category page.
Ellen DeGeneres quotes on Changing The World
1. “Find out who you are and be that person. That’s what your soul was put on this Earth to be. Find that truth, live that truth and everything else will come.” – Ellen DeGeneres
Everyday Application: This is like a cross between living life with purpose and the law of attraction. Basically, though Ellen is reminding us that each of us is special and has a purpose. When we live life in accordance with that, things will fall into place. It doesn’t mean you won’t have challenges, but overall, you will be aligned with what you desire and want in life.
2. “I work really hard at trying to see the big picture and not getting stuck in ego.” – Ellen DeGeneres
Everyday Application: Don’t let your ego take over and cause you to obsess about everything. That can lead to confusion and a sense of helplessness. Instead, keep your mind on what you want and why and stay focused on the choices and decisions that help get you there.
3. “If we’re destroying our trees and destroying our environment and hurting animals and hurting one another and all that stuff, there’s got to be a very powerful energy to fight that. I think we need more love in the world. We need more kindness, more compassion, more joy, more laughter. I definitely want to contribute to that.” – Ellen DeGeneres
Everyday Application: How can you just not love Ellen. There is enough ugly and destruction in this world. If we each chose to spread kindness, compassion, joy, and laughter the world would be a much better place. So choose those things whenever you can and go out of your way to make sure you don’t hurt people.
4. “Most comedy is based on getting a laugh at somebody else’s expense. And I find that that’s just a form of bullying in a major way. So I want to be an example that you can be funny and be kind, and make people laugh without hurting somebody else’s feelings.” – Ellen DeGeneres
Everyday Application: Ellen reminds us that hurting people shouldn’t be funny. We can fill our days with laughter and humor that doesn’t come at another person’s expense. Bottom line is bullying is not cool, so we shouldn’t do it!
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to check out our collection of laughter quotes proving why it’s the best medicine.
5. “I’m not an activist; I don’t look for controversy. I’m not a political person, but I’m a person with compassion. I care passionately about equal rights. I care about human rights. I care about animal rights.” – Ellen DeGeneres
Everyday Application: We don’t have to be activists or politicians to effect change or be kind. We all have the power to influence someone’s day just by demonstrating a little compassion. Remember, rights are fundamental to all of us and should be equal!
Ellen DeGeneres quotes on passion and purpose
6. “Follow your passion. Stay true to yourself. Never follow someone else’s path unless you’re in the woods and you’re lost and you see a path. By all means, you should follow that.” – Ellen DeGeneres
Everyday Application: Finding and following your passion while being true to yourself is one of the best things you can do in life. The second best thing you can do in life is learn from people who have forged paths. Get a mentor and follow the people who have been successful!
7. “It’s our challenges and obstacles that give us layers of depth and make us interesting. Are they fun when they happen? No. But they are what make us unique. And that’s what I know for sure… I think.” – Ellen DeGeneres
Everyday Application: Our hardships and challenges help us level up. They prove what we are capable of overcoming and our tenacity to survive. Rise to the challenge and always do your best!
8. “I am saddened by how people treat one another and how we are so shut off from one another and how we judge one another, when the truth is, we are all one connected thing. We are all from the same exact molecules.” – Ellen DeGeneres
Everyday Application: We should be able to find lots of things that connect us, rather than divide us. Humans are wired to find connections. Keep an open mind, be vulnerable, and real with the people around you.
9. “Sometimes you can’t see yourself clearly until you see yourself through the eyes of others.” – Ellen DeGeneres
Everyday Application: You do not need the validation and approval of others. However, sometimes it can be helpful to know how others see you. Learning what a situation or relationship looks like from the perception of others can be helpful in becoming who you want to be.
10. “I learned compassion from being discriminated against. Everything bad that’s ever happened to me has taught me compassion.” – Ellen DeGeneres
Everyday Application: Compassion means “to suffer together.” It happens when you aware of the suffering of others and decide to relieve their suffering. Compassion and empathy are not the same, though! To learn more about compassion and empathy check out this article.
11. “While I was doing stand-up, I thought I knew for sure that success meant getting everyone to like me. So I became whoever I thought people wanted me to be. I’d say yes when I wanted to say no, and I even wore a few dresses.” – Ellen DeGeneres
Everyday Application: Being true to yourself is essential to living a happy life. So is learning to say no. If something does not feed your soul, body, or mind and you have no desire to do it, then just say no. Check out this article for more tips on mastering this skill.
12. “Though you feel like your not where you’re suppose to be, you shouldn’t worry because the next turn you take, it will lead you to where you wanna go.” – Ellen DeGeneres
Everyday Application: Getting to where you want to be in life is a journey. For some people, it happens quicker than for others. However, each path you take is important to who you will become. Learn what you can along the way, keep your eyes on the goal, and don’t give up.
Ellen DeGeneres quotes on true beauty
13. “To me, beauty is about being comfortable in your own skin. It’s about knowing and accepting who you are.” – Ellen DeGeneres
Everyday Application: Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Someone else’s opinion of your beauty does not matter. Are you happy with you are? Do you try to be kind to others? Believe in your own inner beauty and it will shine through.
14. “I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you want to be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values.” – Ellen DeGeneres
Everyday Application: Traditional values typically means “beliefs that have existed for a long time without changing.” Honesty, kindness, compassion, and treating others the way you want to be treated are as old (if not older) than the Bible. Therefore, they should be just as important as anything else that would be considered a “traditional value.”
15. “It is failure that gives you the proper perspective on success.” –Ellen DeGeneres
Everyday Application: Failure teaches us so many valuable lessons. Both about who we are and what we are capable of, as well as practical things we can implement when we try again. Would success feel as good if it came easier?
16. “I think beauty comes from actually knowing who you are. That’s real beauty to me.” – Ellen DeGeneres
17. “Life is like one big Mardi Gras. But instead of showing boobs, show people your brain, and if they like what they see, you’ll have more beads than you know what to do with.” – Ellen DeGeneres
18. “Do things that make you happy within the confines of the legal system.” – Ellen DeGeneres
Everyday Application: Do at least one thing everyday that makes you happy. This might be writing, drawing, going for a walk, reading a book, or any legal activity that brings you joy. Happiness is a choice that comes within. Doing these things will make your life better, but so will cultivating an attitude of gratitude and self-reflection.
19. “We’re all supposed to be different. I want so badly to encourage everyone to say, “Who Am I and How Do I Want To Live My Life.” – Ellen DeGeneres
20. “Don’t worry about what people say about you. Let the naysayers nay. They will eventually grow tired of naying.” – Ellen DeGeneres
Everyday Application: What people think of you is beyond your control and, quite frankly, worrying about it only bothers you. There is a difference between constructive criticism and hating on someone. Constructive criticism helps you grow. Haters have no interest in helping you, just let them nay while you keep doing you and moving forward.
21. “Do we have to know who’s gay and who’s straight? Can’t we just love everybody and judge them by the car they drive?” – Ellen DeGeneres
22. “True beauty is not related to what color your hair is or what color your eyes are. True beauty is about who you are as a human being, your principles, your moral compass.” – Ellen DeGeneres
23. “My point is, life is about balance. The good and the bad. The highs and the lows.” – Ellen DeGeneres
Ellen DeGeneres quotes on fear and failure
24. “I don’t know what people are scared of. Maybe they think their children will be influenced, but I’ve got to tell you, I was raised by two heterosexuals. Everywhere I looked — Heterosexuals. And they did not influence me. It’s time we love people for who they are and let them love who they want.” – Ellen DeGeneres
25. “It’s funny how the universe guides you to where you’re meant to be. I wanted to make people Happy.” – Ellen DeGeneres
Everyday Application: The universe really does guide you if you listen. Whether you think the universe is some form of higher power, or a reflection of your own self, or the kismet of life, there is something to be said about listening to the things around you. If you are interested in learning more about the universe, then check out this article.
26. “Beauty is not between a size 0 and size 8. Its not a number at all.” – Ellen DeGeneres
27. “I think one of the turning points in my life came a few years ago. I started going to sleep at night just talking to myself, saying . . . You Are Perfect Just The Way You Are.” – Ellen DeGeneres
28. “I’m a comedian, and I definitely see the humor in a lot of things. I am also sad a lot. I cry often and easily. I think you’re supposed to feel all kinds of things.” – Ellen DeGeneres
29. “Embrace who you are. Literally. Hug yourself. Accept who you are.” – Ellen DeGeneres
30. “When you take risks you learn that there will be times when you succeed and there will be times when you fail and both are equally important.” – Ellen DeGeneres
Everyday Application: Failure teaches you what went wrong and shows you how much you are capable of withstanding. Success reminds you that you can do the things you put your mind to. It motivates and inspires you. They are both important so you shouldn’t avoid either one!
31. “Most people dream of winning an academy award. I had a dream of actually hosting the academy awards. So let that be a Lesson to you kids out there: AIM LOWER.” – Ellen DeGeneres
32. “We need to learn how to love one another and accept one another.” – Ellen DeGeneres
33. “I believe we’re all put on this planet for a purpose, and we all have a different purpose.” – Ellen DeGeneres
34. “When you connect with that love and that compassion, that’s when everything unfolds.” – Ellen DeGeneres
Ellen DeGeneres quotes that will make your day
35. “If someone ever says you’re weird say thank you.” – Ellen DeGeneres
Everyday Application: Being weird usually means you are different in some way. And that is a good thing, because it means you are embracing and showing your true self to the world. We are all different and should not try to be like everyone else. Check out this amazing book for help with embracing your weird.
36. “You are never too old to play. You are only too old for low-rise jeans.” – Ellen DeGeneres
37. “The thing everyone should realize is that the key to happiness is being happy by yourself and for yourself.” – Ellen DeGeneres
38. “Never follow anyone else’s path, unless you’re in the woods and you’re lost and you see a path. Then by all means follow that path.” – Ellen DeGeneres
39. “Life is short. If you doubt me, ask a butterfly. Their average life span is a mere five to fourteen days.” – Ellen DeGeneres
40. “I personally like being unique. I like being my own person with my own style and my own opinions and my own toothbrush.”― Ellen DeGeneres
41. “When I go hiking and I get over the hill, That means I am past the hard part and there is a snack in my future. That’s a good thing as far as I am concerned.” – Ellen DeGeneres
42. “Things will get easier, people’s minds will change, and you should be alive to see it.”― Ellen DeGeneres
43. “Accept who you are unless you’re a serial killer.” – Ellen DeGeneres
44. “Leaning forward in your chair when someone is trying to squeeze behind you isn’t enough. You also have to move the chair.”― Ellen DeGeneres
More Ellen DeGeneres quotes
45. “My life is perfect even when it’s not.”― Ellen DeGeneres
46. “You should never assume. You know what happens when you assume. You make an ass out of you and me because that’s how it’s spelled.” – Ellen DeGeneres
47. “It makes a big difference in your life when you stay positive.” – Ellen DeGeneres
48. “Procrastination is not the problem. It is the solution. Procrastinate now, don’t put it off.” – Ellen DeGeneres
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of procrastination quotes that will help you steal your time back.
49. “Our flaws are what makes us human. If we can accept them as part of who we are, they really don’t even have to be an issue.” – Ellen DeGeneres
50. “Above all things physical, it is more important to be beautiful on the inside – to have a big heart and an open mind and a spectacular spleen.” – Ellen DeGeneres
51. “Haters are my motivators.” – Ellen DeGeneres
52. “I enjoy growing older and wiser and learning from my mistakes every single day.” – Ellen DeGeneres
53. “Sometimes the greatest things are the most embarrassing.” – Ellen DeGeneres
Which of these Ellen DeGeneres quotes was your favorite?
Ellen DeGeneres is one of the most popular and successful American television personalities of recent times.
She is a talented host who has been amusing people for many years.
Degeneres is undoubtedly one of the most inspiring personalities of our times.
Hopefully, the above quotes will inspire you to be true to yourself so that you may live your dreams.
Did you enjoy these Ellen DeGeneres quotes?
Which of the quotes was your favorite?
Let us know in the comment section.
July 1, 2022 6:44 AM EST