Dumbo, the sad story of the outcast little elephant with large ears, has always made me cry. Not only is the brand new baby elephant cruelly nicknamed “Dumbo,” but he is constantly bullied and mocked. Then he gets separated from his mother because the circus leaders think she went mad, when in reality she was trying to protect her baby. Despite the sadness, there are some funny moments, as you will see in these Dumbo quotes!
The film was Disney’s 4th animated full-length feature, and the studio needed it to be a hit in order to recuperate the losses from Pinnochio and Fantasia. The story isn’t just sad, though; it is also incredibly inspiring.
Poor little Dumbo is teased and misses his mother, but with the help of his tiny mouse friend, he learns his jumbo-sized ears can help him fly. Sure, he thinks he needs a magic feather at first, but he realizes that the power comes from positive thinking and practice. It is also a wonderful reminder that the things that make us different are not bad.
Keep reading to learn more about the live-action Dumbo movie, including some quotes from that 2019 film.
Don’t forget to also check out these Kim Possible quotes from your favorite crime fighting Disney hero.
Famous Dumbo quotes about flying
1. “Dumbo! The ninth wonder of the universe! The world’s only flying elephant!” — Timothy Q. Mouse
2. “Cast your doubts aside and fly.” — Dumbo
3. “Don’t just fly, soar!” — Dumbo
4. “Dumbo! Look! Have I got it! The magic feather! Now you can fly!” — Timothy Q. Mouse
5. “I think I will have seen everything when I see an elephant fly.” — Jim Crow
6. “Dumbo! C’mon, fly! Open them ears! The magic feather was just a gag! You can fly! Honest, you can! Hey, open them up! Hurry!” — Timothy Q. Mouse
7. “But I be done seen about everything when I see a elephant fly!” — Jim “Dandy” Crow
Sad Dumbo quotes and sayings about Dumbo’s ears
8. “Just because he’s got those big ears, they call him a freak. The laughingstock of the circus. And when his mother tried to protect him, they threw her into the clink.” — Timothy Q. Mouse
9. “Dumbo! You flew! Boy, am I stupid. Why didn’t I think of this before? Your ears! Just look at them, Dumbo! Why, they’re perfect wings!” — Timothy Q. Mouse
10. “Your ma ain’t crazy. She’s just broken-hearted. And it ain’t nobody’s fault you got them big ears. Dumbo, I think your ears are beautiful! As a matter of fact, I think they’re very decorative. Lots of people with big ears are famous!” — Timothy Q. Mouse
11. “Ain’t that the funniest thing you ever saw? Look at his ears! Baa! Big ears! Big ears!” — Smitty
12. “What’s the use of talking to you cold-hearted boys? Go ahead! Have your fun! Laugh at him! Kick him now that he’s down! Go on! We don’t care.” — Timothy Q. Mouse
13. Clown: “Be careful. Don’t hurt the little guy.”
Skinny: “C’mon, elephants ain’t got no feelings.”
14. “They’re giving him the cold shoulder. Poor little guy. There he goes, without a friend in the world. Nobody to turn to.” — Timothy Q. Mouse
15. “I know how you feel, Dumbo, but you’ll have to pull yourself together. What would your mother think of you, if she saw you crying like this? Remember, you come from a proud race.” — Timothy Q. Mouse
16. “You know, lots of people with big ears are famous!” — Timothy Q. Mouse
Funny Dumbo movie quotes
17. Glasses Crow: “Did you ever see an elephant fly?”
Preacher Crow: “Well, I’ve seen a horse fly…”
Fat Crow: “Ah, I’ve seen a dragon fly…”
Straw Hat Crow: “I’ve seen a house fly!”
Jim “Dandy” Crow: “I’ve seen all that, too! I seen a peanut stand, and heard a rubber band! I seen a needle that winked its eye!
18. “I would like nothing better than to spank the living daylights out of him.” — Matriarch Elephant
19. “No. Dead people don’t snore… Or do they?” — Fat Crow
20. “I wonder how we ever got up in that tree, anyway. Now, let’s see…Elephants can’t climb trees, can they? Nah, nah, that’s ridiculous. Couldn’t jump up. Mm-mm, it’s too high.” — Timothy Q. Mouse
21. “You’re no cream puff yourself, dearie!” — Catty
22. “Girls, girls! Listen! Have I got a trunk full of dirt.” — Prissy
23. “Out of my way, assassin!” — Matriarch Elephant
24. “Well, frankly, I wouldn’t eat at the same bale of hay with him.” — Prissy
25. Jim “Dandy” Crow: “Say, look here, Brother Rat–”
Timothy: “BROTHER RAT?! Now listen! I ain’t your brother and I ain’t no rat! See?!”
Jim “Dandy” Crow: “Uh-huh. And I suppose you and no elephant ain’t up in no tree, either!”
26. “Just visualize: One elephant climbs up on top of another elephant, until finally, all seventeen elephants have constructed an enormous pyramid of pachyderms!” — The Ringmaster
27. “A guy can’t eat in peace.” — Timothy Q. Mouse
Inspirational Dumbo quotes about love
28. “The very things that held you down are gonna carry you up and up and up.” — Timothy Q. Mouse
29. “What’s the matter with his ears? I don’t see nothin’ wrong with ’em. I think they’re cute.” — Timothy Q. Mouse
30. “Embrace what makes you different.” — Dumbo
31. “You’re standing on the threshold of success. Don’t look down, it’ll make you dizzy.” — Timothy Q. Mouse
32. “Rest your head close to my heart never to part, baby of mine.” — Mrs. Jumbo
33. “Suppose you was torn away from your mother when you was just a baby. Nobody to tuck you in at nights. No warm, soft, caressing trunk to snuggle into. How would you like being left out alone, in a cold, cruel, heartless world?” — Timothy Q. Mouse
34. “A mother’s love is the ultimate comfort.” — Dumbo
35. “Must have overdid it in there, don’t know my own strength sometimes.” — Timothy Q. Mouse
36. “Straight from heaven up above, here is a baby for you to love.” — Mr. Stork
37. “You oughta be proud. You’re a success.” — Timothy Q. Mouse
38. “Nothing stops him, he’ll get through.” — Narrator
39. “Some days deserve an extra dose of cute.” — Dumbo
Dumbo quotes from the 2019 remake
40. “You can do it, Dumbo; show ’em.” — Milly Farrier
41. “You’re a miracle elephant, Dumbo.” — Milly Farrier
42. “Never do anything I tell you, without checking with me first.” — Max Medici
43. “You have something very rare. You have wonder. You have mystique. You have magic.” — V. A. Vandevere
44. “All right, Dumbo, give me a showstopper.” — Holt Farrier
45 “I already got fake freaks in the freak show! I don’t need a real one in the center ring!” — Max Medici
46. “Look at him; those giant ears weigh him down.” — Joe Farrier
47. “It’s not the peanuts that made him do it. It’s the feathers!” — Milly Farrier
48. “Okay, Big D, this is it. Just like in rehearsal. Except for lights, music, fire and crowds. You can do it.” — Max Medici
49. “Your children don’t need you to be perfect. They just need you to believe in them.” — Colette Marchant
50. “Friends, young and old, you have a home at our circus, where anything is possible and miracles happen. Believe me, they do.” — Max Medici
Which of these Dumbo quotes is your favorite?
Recently Disney has been on a remake craze, turning their original animated films into live-action movies. I was so nervous when they announced they were remaking Dumbo because I just couldn’t imagine how they could do this and not ruin the magic that is Dumbo. However, with Tim Burton at the helm, and talent like Danny DeVito, Colin Farrell, and Eva Green, it could only be perfect.
Now, the movie itself did well in the box office, but it did not have the financial success of Disney’s other remade films. Critics also had mixed opinions on the movie. Many praised the animation and other technical aspects of the film but said the story did not live up to the original.
What did you think of the remake? You can let us know and share any other favorite Dumbo quotes and lines from the movies in the comment section below.
July 8, 2021 7:00 AM EST