Elijah Cummings, the longtime Baltimore congressman and civil rights leader, died today (October 17, 2019) at age 68.
A highly respected political leader, Cummings was a man who wielded unique moral authority. Through integrity and hard work, he rose to leadership and fought for what is right.
Cummings will be remembered for his principled stands on political issues, his belief in the good in mankind, for fighting racial injustice, and much more. His passing on is not just a loss for the people of Baltimore, but for the whole of humanity.
According to Cummings’ wife, the esteemed congressman was an honorable man who served his district with “dignity, integrity, compassion and humility.” He believed that our nation’s diversity was our promise and that our democracy represented our collective humanity.
In honor of a powerful voice, below is our collection of inspirational, wise, and thought-provoking Elijah Cummings quotes and sayings.
Also check out our list of law quotes about justice for all.
Elijah Cummings quotes on hope and justice
1. “It was to carry the American democratic journey beyond these failings that Black citizens and civil rights workers risked unemployment, violence and death.” – Elijah Cummings
2. “You must have confidence in your competence.” – Elijah Cummings
3. “I’m going to try and make people realize that in order to live the life they are living, they need to have democracy, and it’s being threatened.” – Elijah Cummings
4. “Tweets are not enough. We need real action and meaningful reform.” – Elijah Cummings
5. “My mom and dad, although they may not have had a lot of formal education, they were two of the most brilliant people that I know.” – Elijah Cummings
6. “It is a new day in our city, let the wheels of justice begin to roll.” – Elijah Cummings
7. “From my own life experience, I can attest that we have come a long way toward universal justice in this country, but we are not there yet.” – Elijah Cummings
8. “I’m a lawyer, I practiced for many years, and so I believe in the Fifth Amendment.” – Elijah Cummings
9. “Voting is crucial, and I don’t give a damn how you look at it: there are efforts to stop people from voting. That’s not right. This is not Russia. This is the United States of America.” – Elijah Cummings
10. “Americans want government to help them. And this is something you can do to help all Americans.” – Elijah Cummings
Elijah Cummings quotes that will inspire you to stand for what’s right
11. “I try to remind people that there are a lot of good people, all colors. Then there’s some bad ones, too. But there’s a lot of good people who really care.” – Elijah Cummings
12. “I say to the president: No more talk, no more tweet. No more commotion, emotion and motion and no results.” – Elijah Cummings
13. “My life is based on pain, passion, and purpose.” – Elijah Cummings
14. “By providing students in our Nation with such an education, we help save our children from the clutches of poverty, crime, drugs, and hopelessness, and we help safeguard our Nation’s prosperity for generations yet unborn.” – Elijah Cummings
15. “Price gouging for drugs that treat cancer in children is simply unconscionable.” – Elijah Cummings
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of fighting cancer quotes about the battle of a lifetime.
16. “I realized that with African American people, where we’ve been blocked from being all that God meant for us to be, I don’t have time to be patient.” – Elijah Cummings
17. “I have a moral conscience that is real central.” – Elijah Cummings
18. “Many of these Americans who are struggling to survive are Americans of color, .. Their cries for assistance confront America with a test of our moral compass as a nation.” – Elijah Cummings
19. “We need to act as fast as we can to create that diplomatic resolution so that we will not have this problem.” – Elijah Cummings
20. “Any little thing can spark the situation to get out of hand and we cannot afford that, we’re better than that.” – Elijah Cummings
Don’t forget to also check out these wise John McCain quotes about character, America and more.
Elijah Cummings quotes that will igniter your inner fire
21. “The U.S. Census Bureau acknowledged this fact when it reported that those with a bachelor’s degree earn on average $1 million more over their lifetime than those with only a high school diploma.” – Elijah Cummings
22. “Our ultimate goal must be to serve the interest of the children and families of Flint.” – Elijah Cummings
23. “I’m going to do what feeds my soul.” – Elijah Cummings
24. “This complaint reads more like political talking points than a reasoned legal brief, and it contains a litany of inaccurate information.” – Elijah Cummings
25. “We’re going to take a close look at this administration.” – Elijah Cummings
26. “I was in special ed, but I felt like I was a caged bird. I felt like I could do better. I made sure I mastered my special ed lessons. I made sure I listened to my teacher. I made sure I did my homework, but I had to do a little extra.” – Elijah Cummings
27. “I am not going to allow the president to be in jeopardy or his family.” – Elijah Cummings
28. “More than 26,000 lives may be lost to the effects of drug abuse this year. This tragic impact is felt in communities across this great nation. Sadly many of these deaths occur among our young people.” – Elijah Cummings
29. “They were irresponsible, incredibly disrespectful, and did not reflect reality.” – Elijah Cummings
30. “The president’s assertion does not change the fact that the attorney general and the secretary of commerce are sadly in contempt.” – Elijah Cummings
Wise and thought-provoking Elijah Cummings quotes
31. “They are not refugees. I hate that word.” – Elijah Cummings
32. “When I became a lawyer, no one asked me if I had spent some time in special ed. All they wanted was a good lawyer.” – Elijah Cummings
If you’re enjoying these quotes, you’ll love our collection of insightful lawyer quotes about justice for all.
33. “We can not have people disobeying the law, the President is not above the law. And neither is Ms. Conway above the law.” – Elijah Cummings
34. “When you’ve got integrity, which Rod Rosenstein has, you don’t have to go figure out what a poll says, you just do what you know is right.” – Elijah Cummings
35. “Our children are the living messages we send to a future we will ever see… Will we rob them of their destiny? Will we rob them of their dreams? No – we will not do that.” – Elijah Cummings
36. “I think it’s important for industry to do well. But I want them to do well and do good at the same time.” – Elijah Cummings
37. “We will do whatever we have to do, using every tool that we have available, as we would with any subpoena now, to get her in.” – Elijah Cummings
38. “Most people who are hating on you, they are not worried about where you are. They’re worried about where you’re going.” – Elijah Cummings
39. “It seems as if there are some police who believe that it is their job to not only arrest, but to convict and punish severely, unreasonably and unjustly at the scene of arrest defendants and suspects.”- Elijah Cummings
40. “Our practice on this Committee is to give witnesses an opportunity to clarify their testimony, and that is what Mr. Cohen has done.” – Elijah Cummings
You might also like these Andrew Yang quotes from the former 2020 Democratic candidate.
Other inspirational Elijah Cummings quotes
41. “You have to understand – I come from a neighborhood where ‘The Wire’ was filmed.” – Elijah Cummings
42. “The committee needs to hear directly from the heads of these agencies as soon as possible in light of the almost daily reports of abuse and defiance.” – Elijah Cummings
43. “Our country is slowly but surely moving – and I’ve seen it over and over again in many instances in government – toward a culture of mediocrity.” – Elijah Cummings
44. “But the American people are begging us for more than thoughts and prayers, they want an answer, and guess what ? They want it now, because they know that this is a critical moment in our history.” – Elijah Cummings
45. “People want transparency in government.” – Elijah Cummings
46. “Every time something bad happens to me, I don’t ask the question, ‘Why did it happen to me?’ The question I ask is, ‘Why did it happen for me?’” – Elijah Cummings
47. “Yes, you’ve got people dying. Come on now, i think we have a real to do whatever is necessary to save lives.” – Elijah Cummings
48. “You’re saying to the people of the United States that you all made no mistakes. I’ve got to go back to my district and explain to them why we’ve got a federal agency that, to me, made some mistakes and won’t admit it.” – Elijah Cummings
49. “We still have been zeroed in on Hillary Clinton. There is absolutely no doubt about that, and it’s very unfortunate.” – Elijah Cummings
50. “I’m going to study the transcript first, that’s No. 1. I’m going to see what the allegations are and then I’ll go from there.” – Elijah Cummings
Were you inspired by these Elijah Cummings quotes?
Elijah Cummings was a dedicated public servant who has left an indelible mark in American politics. Known for his passion and wisdom, Cummings will be remembered as a fearless leader and fighter for justice.
Did these Elijah Cummings quotes inspire you? What other inspirational quotes would you add to the list? We would love to hear your thoughts in the comment section.
October 17, 2019 1:24 PM EST