Let these butterfly quotes help you learn to trust our own processes, even if sometimes along the way things seem uncertain or nearly impossible.
Change is good, and these butterfly quotes will show you just how powerful a transformation can be.
You may also enjoy our article on:
Some of the most beautiful things in life come from unsuspecting situations, so use these quotes about butterflies to inspire your own metamorphosis!
The butterfly has one of the most fascinating life cycles of all creatures.
Before growing into an adult, it goes through various stages, with each stage having a different goal.
For instance, caterpillars need to eat a lot, while adults need to reproduce.
The butterfly starts life as a tiny egg that hatches to form a caterpillar.
Once it has hatched, the caterpillar needs to eat plenty of food so it can grow quickly.
As soon as the caterpillar is done growing, it forms itself into a pupa – the resting and changing stage.
During this stage, it undergoes remarkable transformation, called ‘metamorphosis,’ to become a colorful and adorable butterfly that’s ready to share its beauty with the world.
We can learn a lot of lessons about our own growth process from the butterfly life cycle.
The process of metamorphosis relates in many ways with our own moments of transformation.
For a caterpillar to become a butterfly it must change.
Likewise, nothing in our human world is permanent.
Some things go and are replaced by new ones.
Sometimes we have to let the old go so that the new can come.
Despite the cocoon being the comfort zone of the caterpillar, it has to emerge from this state.
Otherwise, we would never have the beautiful butterfly.
Similarly, you have to get out of your comfort zone and try new things if you want to move forward.
The butterfly is a great symbol of change, transition, adaptation, and growth.
In that respect, below is our collection of inspirational, wise, and beautiful butterfly quotes, butterfly sayings, and butterfly proverbs, collected from a variety of sources over the years.
Don’t forget to also read our compilation of beautiful winter quotes that will warm your heart.
Check out our most popular quote article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily inspiration.
Check out our inspirational quotes category page for more inspirational life quotes.
Butterfly quotes honoring your own metamorphosis
1. ”The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly.” – Richard Bach
You will also enjoy our article on Nacho Libre quotes.
2. ”Everyone is like a butterfly, they start out ugly and awkward and then morph into beautiful graceful butterflies that everyone loves.” – Drew Barrymore
You will also enjoy our article on Joe Dirt quotes.
3. ”Metamorphosis has always been the greatest symbol of change for poets and artists. Imagine that you could be a caterpillar one moment and a butterfly the next.” – Louie Schwartzberg
You will also enjoy our article on angel quotes.
4. ”There is nothing in a caterpillar that tells you it’s going to be a butterfly.” – Richard Buckminster Fuller
You will also enjoy our article on quotes on change growth.
5. ”And when I was angry, when I was younger, I was in a cocoon. Now I’m a beautiful, black butterfly.” – Tracy Morgan
You will also enjoy our article on transformation quotes.
6. ”I embrace emerging experience. I participate in discovery. I am a butterfly. I am not a butterfly collector. I want the experience of the butterfly.” – William Stafford
You will also enjoy our article on quotes about comparison.
7. “Adding wings to caterpillars does not create butterflies, it creates awkward and dysfunctional caterpillars. Butterflies are created through transformation.” – Stephanie Marshall
You will also enjoy our article on Harry Styles quotes.
8. “We delight in the beauty of the butterfly, but rarely admit the changes it has gone through to achieve that beauty.” – Maya Angelou
You will also enjoy our article on wolf quotes.
9. ”The butterfly said to the sun, “They can’t stop talking about my transformation. I can only do it once in my lifetime. If only they knew, they can do it at any time and in countless ways.” – Dodinsky
You will also enjoy our article on Ram Dass quotes.
10. ”A caterpillar, after its deep slumber, ‘wakes up to reality’ to realize, that truth is not always bitter after all!” – Manali Oak
You will also enjoy our article on alice in the wonderland quotes.
Butterfly quotes to celebrate your transformation
11. ”How does one become a butterfly?” she asked pensively. Orange Butterfly “You must want to fly so much that you are willing to give up being a caterpillar.” – Trina Paulus
You will also enjoy our article on muhammad ali quotes.
12. ”Death consists, indeed, in a repeated process of unrobing, or unsheathing. The immortal part of man shakes off from itself, one after the other, its outer casings, and – as the snake from its skin, the butterfly from its chrysalis – emerges from one after another, passing into a higher state of consciousness.” – Annie Besant
You will also enjoy our article on timothy leary quotes.
13. ”A great beginning is sometimes at the point of what you thought would be the end of everything.” – Dodinsky
You will also enjoy our article on nature quotes.
14. ”I’ve always loved butterflies, because they remind us that it’s never too late to transform ourselves.” – Drew Barrymore
You will also enjoy our article on bird quotes.
15. ”If nothing ever changed, there would be no such things as butterflies.” – Wendy Mass
You will also enjoy our article on elizabeth taylor quotes.
16. “The great loneliness- like the loneliness a caterpillar endures when she wraps herself in a silky shroud and begins the long transformation from chrysalis to butterfly. It seems we too must go through such a time, when life as we have known it is over- when being a caterpillar feels somehow false and yet we don’t know who we are supposed to become. All we know is that something bigger is calling us to change. And though we must make the journey alone, and even if suffering is our only companion, soon enough we will become a butterfly, soon enough we will taste the rapture of being alive.” – Elizabeth Lesser
You will also enjoy our article on edgar allan poe quotes.
17. ”And when all the wars are over, a butterfly will still be beautiful.” – Ruskin Bond
You will also enjoy our article on betty white quotes.
18. “If there is one creature that represents my essence, it’s butterflies.” – Patricia Velasquez
You will also enjoy our article on spiritual awakening quotes.
19. ”Happiness is a butterfly, which when pursued, is always just beyond your grasp, but which, if you will sit down quietly, may alight upon you.” – Nathaniel Hawthorne
You will also enjoy our article on lash quotes.
20. “Beautiful and graceful, varied and enchanting, small but approachable, butterflies lead you to the sunny side of life. And everyone deserves a little sunshine.” – Jeffrey Glassberg
You might also like these flower quotes that will make you appreciate the beauty around you.
Butterfly quotes to inspire positive change
21. ”Butterflies are God’s confetti, thrown upon the Earth in celebration of His love.” – K. D’Angelo
You will also enjoy our article on chronic illness quotes.
22. ”I only ask to be free. The butterflies are free.” – Charles Dickens
You will also enjoy our article on rainbow quotes.
23. “The butterflies…What an educated sense of beauty they have. They seem only an ornament to society, and yet, if they were gone, how substantial would be their loss.” – Phil Robinson
You will also enjoy our article on quotes about losing a loved ones.
24. “Bees sip honey from flowers and hum their thanks when they leave. The gaudy butterfly is sure that the flowers owe thanks to him.” – Rabindranath Tagore
25. “Do you remember how you felt at seventeen? I do and I don’t (…) Imagine you came from outer space and someone showed you a butterfly and a caterpillar. Would you ever put the two of them together? That’s me and my memories.” – Douglas Coupland
You will also enjoy our article on quotes on addiction.
26. “One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar.” – Helen Keller
27. ”We must remain as close to the flowers, the grass, and the butterflies as the child is who is not yet so much taller than they are. We adults, on the other hand, have outgrown them and have to lower ourselves to stoop down to them. It seems to me that the grass hates us when we confess our love for it. Whoever would partake of all good things must understand how to be small at times.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
28. “I’d be a butterfly; living a rover, Dying when fair things are fading away.” – Thomas Haynes Bayly
29. “Go on, hitch a ride on the back of a butterfly. There’s no better way to fly.” – Patrick Monahan
30. “Do ye not comprehend that we are worms born to bring forth the angelic butterfly that flieth unto judgment without screen?” – Dante Alighieri
Butterfly quotes to inspire you to keep moving forward
31. ”Love is like a butterfly, a rare and gentle thing.” – Dolly Parton
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of Dolly Parton quotes from the iconic actress.
32. ”I sting like a butterfly and punch like a flea.” – Si Robertson
33. ”If you want to fly, you have to flap your own wings!” – Claire Williams
34. “A butterfly symbolized acceptance of each new phase in life. To keep faith as everything around you changed.” – Lisa Kleypas
35. “When, within our souls and psyches we are made aware of a safe but insistent drum beat, repeated like butterfly wings in motion, we sense the message…that our inner self has begun its search for freedom.” – Mary Meeker
36. “We lose our souls if we lose the experience of the forest, the butterflies, the song of the birds, if we can’t see the stars at night.” – Thomas Berry
37. ”You’ve got to be like a butterfly and have a metamorphosis.” – Mike Markkula
38. “Open your heart and mind like the wings of a butterfly. See then how high you CAN fly.” – Zeenat Aman
39. ”To all the broken-hearted and anyone feeling sad, may your hearts heal and may you feel happy in your lives.Flutter as the butterflies do.” – Krystal
40. ”Read like a butterfly, write like a bee.” – Philip Pullman
If you enjoy this article, check out our collection of Ladybug quotes honoring the noble insect.
Butterfly quotes to inspire and teach
41. ”I never really got obsessed about one thing for long. I was a bit of a butterfly and a magpie.” – Benedict Cumberbatch
42. ”Once you let people know anything about what you think, that’s it, you’re dead. Then they’ll be jumping about in your mind, taking things out, holding them up to the light and killing them, yes, killing them, because thoughts are supposed to stay and grow in quiet, dark places, like butterflies in cocoons.” – Helen Oyeyemi
43. ”For our people, butterflies are a symbol of hope. It’s said that if you capture one in your hands and whisper your dreams to it, it will carry them up to the heavens so that the wish can be granted.” – Sherrilyn Kenyon
44. ”When it comes to religion today, we tend to be long on butterflies and short on cocoons. Somehow we’re going to have to relearn that the deep things of God don’t come suddenly.” – Sue Monk Kidd
If you’re enjoying this article, you might also like these colorful blue quotes that will delight your senses and spark creativity.
45. ”There’s a metaphor Vincent Eades likes to use: “If you examine a butterfly according to the laws of aerodynamics, it shouldn’t be able to fly. But the butterfly doesn’t know that, so it flies.” – Howard Schultz
46. ”When a caterpillar spins its cocoon, it goes through a transformative process and then emerges as a butterfly. Similarly, when we go through a practice of meditation and prayer, we loosen our egoic grip on a sense of self that is separate from the Whole and become vehicles of the emergent evolutionary paradigm of love, peace , compassion, wisdom, harmony and oneness that seeks expression on the planet.” – Michael Beckwith
47. ”Fighting has taught me that the caterpillar takes a while to turn into a majestic butterfly.” – Jesse Taylor
48. ”Cut a chrysalis open, and you will find a rotting caterpillar. What you will never find is that mythical creature, half caterpillar, half butterfly, a fit emblem for the human soul, for those whose cast of mind leads them to seek such emblems. No, the process of transformation consists almost entirely of decay.” – Pat Barker
49. ”Although the butterfly and the caterpillar are completely different, they are one and the same.” – Kendrick Lamar
50. ”For a new year to bring you something new, make a move, like a butterfly tearing its cocoon! Make a move!” – Mehmet Murat Ildan
Butterfly quotes that will change the way you think
51. “When you find yourself cocooned in isolation and you cannot find your way out of darkness…
Remember, this is similar to the place where caterpillars go to grow their wings.” – Necole Stephens
52. “Love is like a butterfly: It goes where it pleases and it pleases wherever it goes.” – Author Unknown
53. “Butterflies are self propelled flowers.” – R.H. Heinlein
54. “Like a butterfly stuck in a chrysalis, waiting for the perfect moment, I was waiting for the day I could burst forth and fly away and find my home.” – Emme Rollins
55. “Nature’s message was always there and for us to see. It was written on the wings of butterflies.” – Kjell B. Sandved
56. “It has been said that something as small as the flutter of a butterfly’s wing can ultimately cause a typhoon halfway around the world.” – Author Unknown
57. “How does one become a butterfly?
You have to want to learn to fly so much that you
Are willing to give up being a caterpillar.” – Unknown
58. “I dreamed I was a butterfly, flitting around in the sky; then I awoke. Now I wonder: Am I a man who dreamt of being a butterfly, or am I a butterfly dreaming that I am a man?” – Chuang Tzu
59. “Just living is not enough,” said the butterfly, “one must have sunshine, freedom and a little flower.” – Hans Christian Andersen
60. “Well, I must endure the presence of a few caterpillars if I wish to become acquainted with the butterflies.” – Antoine de Saint-Exupery
61. “Happiness is like a butterfly: the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder.” – Henry David Thoreau
62. “Children are caterpillars and adults are butterflies. No butterfly ever remembers what it felt like being a caterpillar.”― Cornelia Funke
63. “Perhaps the butterfly is proof that you can go through a great deal of darkness and still become something beautiful.” – Unknown
64. “Just when the caterpillar thought “I am incapable of moving,” it became a butterfly.”― Annette Thomas
65. “When a caterpillar bursts from its cocoon and discovers it has wings, it does not sit idly, hoping to one day turn back. It flies.”― Kelseyleigh Reber
Butterfly quotes to broaden your thoughts
66. “This magnificent butterfly finds a little heap of dirt and sits still on it; but man will never on his heap of mud keep still.” – Joseph Conrad
67. “Butterflies can’t see their wings. They can’t see how truly beautiful they are, but everyone else can. People are like that as well.” – Naya Rivera
68. “I have four or five ideas that just keep floating around and I want to kind of just let one – like a beautiful butterfly, let it land somewhere.” – Gillian Flynn
69. “Don’t be afraid. Change is such a beautiful thing”, said the Butterfly.” – Sabrina Newby
70. “Just like the butterfly, I too will awaken in my own time.” – Deborah Chaskin
71. “It’s only when caterpillarness is done that one becomes a butterfly. That again is part of this paradox. You cannot rip away caterpillarness. The whole trip occurs in an unfolding process of which we have no control.” – Ram Dass
72. “The butterfly does not count the months of its life but rather it counts the moments and yet all the time it has is still enough.” – Rabindranath Tagore
73. “Flowers and butterflies drift in color, illuminating spring.” – Unknown
If you’re enjoying these quotes, read our collection of spring quotes, celebrating the new season.
74. “Awaken to the universes simple gift of the butterfly. Watch with fascination and joy as a jeweled treasure glides by and gently touches your soul.” – K. D’Angelo
75. “What’s a butterfly garden without butterflies?” — Roy Rogers
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of garden quotes about the power of nature.
Butterfly quotes to elevate your mind
76. “Butterflies are self-propelled flowers.” – R.H. Heinlein
77. “Just living isn’t enough,” said the butterfly, “one must have sunshine, freedom and a little flower.” – Hans Christian Anderson
78. “I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly dreaming I am a man.” – Zhuangzi
79. “Be like a butterfly and a flower—beautiful and sought after, yet unassuming and gentle.” – Jarod Kintz
80. “Soar up high with the beauty and grace of a butterfly.” – Unknown
81. “The butterfly does not look back upon its caterpillar self, either fondly or wistfully; it simply flies on.” – Guillermo del Toro
82. “The butterfly is a flying flower, the flower a tethered butterfly.” – Ponce Denis Ecouchard Lebru
83. “The fluttering of a butterfly’s wings can effect climate changes on the other side of the planet.” – Paul Erlich
84. “The butterfly flits from bloom to bloom, as not to miss one fragrant plume. In her sight exists no garden finale, only paradise of flowered hill and valley.” – K. D’Angelo
85. “What the caterpillar calls the end of the world the master calls a butterfly.” — Richard Bach
Other inspirational butterfly quotes
86. “The butterfly counts not months but moments, and has time enough.” – Rabindranath Tagore
87. “Someday, I will be a beautiful butterfly, and then everything will be better.” – Unknown
88. “As with the butterfly, adversity is necessary to build character in people.” – Joseph B. Wirthlin
89. “Butterflies…flowers that fly and all but sing.” – Robert Frost
90. “When I ran, I felt like a butterfly that was free.” – Wilma Rudolph
91. “Beautiful and graceful, butterflies lift our spirits with their loveliness and lyric flight.” – Gloria B. Schlaepfer
92. “Failure is like a caterpillar before it becomes a butterfly.” – Peta Kelly
93. “Butterflies love to be out in the sunshine, just like people. You can look for them on warm, bright sunny days.” – John Woodward
94. “Butterflies, they are like dream flowers, childhood dreams, which have broken loose from their stalks and escaped into the sunshine.” – Unknown
95. “Americans consider the butterfly a symbol of good fortune and some tribes believe they bring the blessing of sleep and peaceful dreams.” – Tom Frost
For even more inspiration, check out our list of new beginning quotes about starting afresh.
Butterfly quotes that will lift your spirits
96. “I almost wish we were butterflies and liv’d but three summer days – three such days with you I could fill with more delight than fifty common years could ever contain.” – John Keats
97. “The caterpillar does all the work, but the butterfly gets all the publicity.” – George Carlin
98. “Life is short. If you doubt me, ask a butterfly. Their average life span is a mere five to fourteen days.” – Ellen DeGeneres
99. “We are all butterflies. Earth is our chrysalis.” – LeeAnn Taylor
100. “Some things, when they change, never do return to the way they once were. Butterflies for instance, and women who’ve been in love with the wrong man too often.” – Alice Hoffman
101. “You can only chase a butterfly for so long.” – Jane Yolen
102. “Among the varied species of insects, butterflies are the most poetic.” – Ana Gerhard
103. “Butterflies are the most beautiful creatures ever. They should call them beautiflies, don’t you think?” – Richelle E. Goodrich
104. “Butterflies used to reproduce on the native plants that grew in our yards before the plants were bulldozed and replaced with lawn. To have butterflies in our future, we need to replace those lost host plants, no if’s, and’s or but’s. If we do not, butterfly populations will continue to decline with every new house that is built.” – Douglas Tallamy
105. “Catching butterflies won’t give you a taste of freedom but the knowledge that weights are not carried in wings.” – Goitsemang Mvula
Poignant butterfly quotes
106. “Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee.” — Muhammad Ali
107. “Take time to be a butterfly.” — Gillian Duce, The Winning Game (Magic and Mayhem #2)
108. “Butterflies are nature’s angels. They remind us what a gift it is to be alive.” — Robyn Nola
109. “You do not just wake up and become the butterfly. Growth is a process.” — Rupi Kaur
110. “She is like a butterfly; beautiful to look at but hard to catch.” — Nikki Rowe
111. “Go on, hitch a ride on the back of a butterfly. There’s no better way to fly.” — Train, “Get To Me”
112. “Butterflies can’t see their wings. They can’t see how truly beautiful they are, but everyone else can. People are like that as well.” — Naya Riviera
113. “A season of loneliness and isolation is when the caterpillar gets its wings. Remember that next time you feel alone.” — Mandy Hale, The Single Woman: Life, Love, and a Dash of Sass
114. “We can learn a lesson from the butterfly beginning its life crawling along the ground, then spinning a cocoon, patiently waiting until the day it will fly.” — Heather Wolf, Kipnuk the Talking Dog
115. “When I was a girl, I would look out my bedroom window at the caterpillars; I envied them so much. No matter what they were before, no matter what happened to them, they could just hide away and turn into these beautiful creatures that could fly away completely untouched.” — Carin, Patch Adams
More butterfly quotes and sayings
116. “A butterfly is like the soul of a person, it dries out in captivity.” – Marlene Van Niekerk
117. “You put butterflies back into my soul and painted their wings with passion and poetry.” – Melody Lee
118. “The butterfly is a flying flower. The flower is a tethered butterfly.” – Ponce Denis
119. “A butterfly is a miracle, a divine creation that fleets, propelling the caterpillar within, an array of predators it cheats.” – Unknown
120. “We are like butterflies who flutter for a day and think it is forever.” – Carl Sagan
121. “A caterpillar is a butterfly in disguise.” – Unknown
122. “With the rose the butterfly’s deep in love, A thousand times hovering round; But round himself, all tender like gold, The sun’s sweet ray is hovering found.” – Heinrich Heine
123. “Never touch a butterfly’s wing with your finger.” – Sidonie Gabrielle Colette
124. “When the spirit of nature touches us, our hearts turn into a butterfly.” – Mehmet Murat Ildan
125. “I don’t really go out partying, but I’m definitely a social butterfly.” – Eliza Doolittle
Butterfly quotes to inspire you to spread your wings
126. “This flesh in which we live is nothing more than a cocoon, and only when we step out of it do we truly begin to live.” ― Nancy Stephan
127. “And to me also, who appreciate life, the butterflies, and soap-bubbles, and whatever is like them amongst us, seem most to enjoy happiness.” ― Friedrich Nietzsche
128. “He was comparing you to the butterflies that you both adore and cherish, and he said you were special for the same reasons: you were rare, exotic and entirely you. He said you’re beautiful exactly the way are now.” ― Cecelia Ahern
the embodiment of myth,
the articulation of the past,
first for the elite,
then for the rest of us.”
― Brian D’Ambrosio
130. “Butterflies better understand than you, the meaning of love and sacrifices one must make for their beloved.” ― M.F. Moonzajer
131. “Butterflies are nature’s tragic heroes. They live most of their lives being completely ordinary. And then, one day, the unexpected happens. They burst from their cocoons in a blaze of colors and become utterly extraordinary. It is the shortest phase of their lives, but it holds the greatest importance. It shows us how empowering change can be.” ― Kelseyleigh Reber
132. “For when ideas flutter in haze, we collaborate without notice and collect them as butterflies only to set them free into the world.” ― Shawn Lukas
133. “The butterflies have flown away, like my ignorance and youth.” ― Eileen Granfors
134. “It’s the butterflies in our bellies, and the lightening in our eyes that tells me this all makes so much fucking sense.” ― LeAnne Mechelle
135. “His Nana’s prayers were moving toward his mother like little butterflies of thoughts wrapped in the most beautiful colors. Each prayer looked like a mini-rainbow.” ― H. L. Balcomb
Beautiful butterfly quotes
136. “Literature and butterflies are the two sweetest passions known to man.” -Vladimir Nabokov
137. “Without butterflies, the world would soon have few flowers. There is enough room in the sky for all flyers.” -Trina Paulus
138. “Not for a moment, beautiful aged Walt Whitman, have I failed to see your beard full of butterflies.” -Federico Garcia Lorca
139. “Men pass in front of our eyes like butterflies, creatures of a brief season.” -Philip Pullman
140. “The sound of a million butterflies flapping their wings is indescribable. It’s very heavenly.” -Louie Schwatzberg
141. “Somebody like Bowie was so interesting because when you got him off stage, he was like a businessman. But on stage, he was just dazzling. It was like watching butterflies grow.” -D.A. Pennebaker
142. “I have grown up on a diet of sunrise picnics, learning the names of butterflies, planting trees.” -Dia Marza
143. “When she transformed into a butterfly, the caterpillars spoke not of her beauty, but of her weirdness. They wanted her to change back into what she always had been. But she had wings.” -Dean Jackson
144. “But on paper, things can live forever.
On paper, a butterfly
145. “Let us find inner freedom in each lucky moment that we encounter, like a sun-basking butterfly that finds peace on a cherry blossom petal.” -Erik Pevernagie
Butterfly quotes to help to become a better person
146. “Alongside the practical thought something else struggled and, like an escaped butterfly, took wing: the assurance of something wonderful awaiting her. Just around the corner.” – Norah Lofts
147. “Everybody knows what a caterpillar is, and it doesn’t look anything like a butterfly.” – Lynn Margulis
148. “I would like to think that the singer is the butterfly, and the drummer was just the little grub in the ground, working to become a caterpillar.” – Robert Wyatt
149. “Doing voiceovers is so great because even though many people would think it’s just your voice, you really do use all your physicality. I’ve done everything from playing a butterfly to Alice in Wonderland when she’s 10 feet tall, so it allows you to be an actor and build new characters.” – Ashley Bell
150. “The term ‘breakout’ always makes me think of an inmate or some butterfly emerging out of a cocoon.” – Tessa Thompson
151. “They seemed to suddenly come upon happiness as if they had surprised a butterfly in a winter wood.” – Edith Wharton
152. “A flower knows, when its butterfly will return, and if the moon walks out, the sky will understand; but now it hurts, to watch you leave so soon, when I don’t know, if you will ever come back.” – Sanober Khan
153. “Story is a butterfly whose wings transport us to another world where we receive gifts that change who we are and who we want to be.” – Harley King
154. “Nature was one of the key forces that brought me back to God, for I wanted to know the Artist responsible for beauty such as I saw on grand scale in photos from space telescopes or on minute scale such as in the intricate designs on a butterfly wing.” – Philip Yancey
155. “I welcome all butterflies into my heart because that feeling is a constant reminder of how alive and full of love I truly am.” – Karen A. Baquiran
Butterfly Quotes About Real Life
156. “Life without pain is a life spent in a cocoon. You gotta break the cocoon to experience your beauty.” — Shubhi
157. “Life is short. If you doubt me, ask a butterfly. Their average lifespan is a mere five to fourteen days.” — Ellen DeGeneres
158. “The Very Hungry Caterpillar story is about hope. You, like the little caterpillar, will grow up, unfold your wings, and fly off into the future.” — Eric Carle
159. “…Nine butterflies appear within an hour, not on the wing but in the word, bringing a message of transformation and hope.” — Carol Lynn Pearson
160. “In mythology throughout the world, the butterfly represents the soul and its journey in this life and the next.” — Tom Frost
161. “A caterpillar who seeks to know himself would never become a butterfly.” — André Gide
162. “If you smile when you see a butterfly, you have happiness in your soul.” — Diana Cooper
163. “When I was a small child, I thought that success spelled happiness. I was wrong, happiness is like a butterfly which appears and delights us for one brief moment, but soon flits away.” — Anna Pavlova
164. “The wings of transformation are born of patience and struggle.”— Janet Dickens
165. “Don’t waste your time chasing butterflies. Mend your garden, and the butterflies will come.” — Mario Quintana
Butterfly Quotes To Apply In Your Life
166. “Butterflies are but flowers that blew away one sunny day when Nature was feeling at her most inventive and fertile.” — George Sand
167. “Caterpillars can fly, if they just lighten up.” — Scott J. Simmerman Ph.D.
168. “It is all too common for caterpillars to become butterflies and then to maintain that in their youth they had been little butterflies. Maturation makes us all.” — George Vaillant
169. “The uglier the caterpillar the lovelier the butterfly.” — Matshona Dhliwayo
170. “I am a believer of the butterfly effect. A small positive vibration can change the entire cosmos.” ― Amit Ray
171. “The power of Butterfly must be, the Aptitude to fly, meadows of majesty concedes, and easy sweeps of sky.” — Emily Dickinson
172. “Self-realization is a strange term. You don’t actually realize yourself. If anything, you go away. The caterpillar enters the cocoon of meditation: A butterfly emerges, metamorphosis.” — Frederick Lindemann
173. “When I was a cute little caterpillar, you loved me. So I became a butterfly so you would never leave.” — Crystal Woods
174. “Butterflies are not called butterflies overnight. They have to undergo tons of changes in order to acquire that name.” — Michael Bassey Johnson
175. “Beauty is where the beheld butterfly disappears from sight.” — R.H. Peat
Thought Provoking Butterfly Quotes
176. “Just because [butterflies’] lives were short didn’t mean they were tragic… See, they have a beautiful life.” ― Lisa Genova
177. “Thou cannot harm a butterfly, without troubling a star.” ― Madeleine L’Engle
178. “Oh, gross. Your stomach is full of butterfly barf!” ― Laini Taylor
179. “My diving bell becomes less oppressive, and my mind takes flight like a butterfly.” ― Jean-Dominique Bauby
180. “The possibilities for immortality are endless. Here you sit reading these words, a butterfly resting on a flower!” ― Frederick Lenz
181. “Large flocks of butterflies, all kinds of happy insects, seem to be in a perfect fever of joy and sportive gladness.” ― John Muir
182. “Of all the butterflies that chose to stay, I’m in love with the one that got away.” ― Laura Miller
183. “Since when does the butterfly ask about the caterpillar?” ― Cornelia Funke
184. “A pinned butterfly holds no delight. A pinned butterfly is nothing like a butterfly at all.” ― Patrick Rothfuss
185. “Butterfly upon my hand, A voice of wonder within my mind, not my own but the butterfly’s.” ― Jazz Feylynn
Butterfly Quotes About Their Development
186. “People are like moths. First they are ugly and awkward, until they break out of their shell and become a beautiful butterfly.” — Drew Barrymore
187. “Kill not the moth nor butterfly, For the Last Judgement draweth nigh.” — William Blake
188. “We go through these metamorphous just like a caterpillar does before becoming a butterfly and the middle of that metamorphosis it always feels uncomfortable.” — John Assaraf
189. “I just woke up and found a large butterfly on me. When did that happen?” — Harry Styles
190. “All my life I’ve swam in the loo butterfly style.” — Faina Ranevskaya
191. “If the butterfly wings its way to the sweet light that attracts it, it’s only because it doesn’t know that the fire can consume it.” — Deborah Harkness
192. “You are my butterfly and refuse to set you free.” — Shannon Hale
193. “God changes caterpillars into butterflies, sand into pearls and coal into diamonds using time and pressure. He’s working on you, too.” — Rick Warren
194. “My butterflies are still going strong. I just hope they are flying in formation.” — Larry Mize
195. “No shade, no shine, no butterflies, no bees, No fruits, no flowers, no leaves, no birds – November!” — Thomas Hood
Butterfly Quotes About Transformation
196. “What the caterpillar calls the end of the world the teacher will call the butterfly.” — Feroze Dada
197. “To be wise, a butterfly must ascend into the big blue sky of life upon humble wings. This is the wonderful world of Butterfly Love.” — Ed Delgado
198. “Just imagine nature‟s beauty which gives life to the butterfly.” — Rohit Shetty
199. “God gives the Butterfly the gift of freedom to fly about the garden and partake in any flower it desire. the Butterfly has the freedom to go from one flower and then back again to another.” — John F. Grooves
200. “Once upon a time, I dreamt about a beautiful butterfly flying free. It just took me half my life to realize that the extraordinary, beautiful butterfly I dreamt about could actually be me.” — Meg Nocero
201. “The butterfly symbolises resurrection and transformation. And transformation does not come without struggle, conflict and pain.” — Karl H. Federschmidt
202. “The butterfly symbolises freedom, but like the life of the butterfly there is no guarantee that this freedom will be anything but short – lived.” — Emil F. Smidak
203. “The butterfly doesn’t fear change, and it doesn’t worry about the past or the future. It is a symbol of the soul and the connection shared by all things.” — Rebecca Keating
204. “Butterflies have long represented spirituality and potent symbols of transformation and the soul.” — Elizabeth Murray
205. “Just think: If the caterpillar was change resistant, there would not be any beautiful butterflies!” — Judith Belmont
Butterfly Quotes About Its Life Cycle
206. “Folded in my arms you’re a butterfly in reverse you’re giving up your wings and inheriting my curse you’re letting go of me you’re letting go.” ― Maggie Stiefvater
207. “And over it all, the butterflies swarmed, like a million yellow-pettalled flowers dancing on swirling winds.” ― Steven Erikson
208. “Death is simply a shedding of the physical body, like the butterfly coming out of a cocoon. . . . It’s like putting away your winter coat when spring comes.” ― Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
209. “I became the butterfly. I got out of the cocoon, and I flew.” ― Lynn Redgrave
210. “She seemed to melt against him in her terror, and he caught her in his arms, held her fast there, felt her lashes beat his cheek like netted butterflies.” ― Edith Wharton
211. “To a new generation of butterflies, hopefully less stupid than last. Maybe they were burgeoning even now in fat little cocoons. Or maybe not.” ― Laini Taylor
212. “I’m a social caterpillar. I am not a social butterfly.” ― Harry Turtledove
213. “A butterfly flitting from flower to flower ever remains mine, I lose the one that is netted by me.” ― Rabindranath Tagore
214. “You cannot direspect the caterpillar and rave about the butterfly.” ― Mark Jackson
215. “On those who overanalyze his music: When you tear the wings off a butterfly, it is no longer a butterfly.” ― Claude Debussy
Which of these butterfly quotes was your favorite?
With the ups and down of life, it’s easy to get overwhelmed with unhelpful thoughts and feelings that can consume us and get in the way of finding joy and meaning in life.
The life cycle of a butterfly can teach us a lot about letting go of negative thoughts and feelings and finding a way to make progress.
Hopefully, the above quotes will inspire you to keep moving forward regardless of circumstance.
Did you enjoy these butterfly quotes?
Which of the quotes resonated with you best?
Let us know in the comment section below.
February 2, 2023 5:00 AM EST