From “Love Me Tender” to “Hound Dog”, Elvis Presley is a cultural icon of American music.
The Elvis Presley quotes below illustrate the man behind the music we all know and love.
What’s your favorite Elvis Presley song?
Elvis Presley began his music career at 18-years-old after being discovered by prominent Sun Records producer Sam Phillips.
His 20-year long career in entertainment included over a dozen studio albums, 11 hit singles, and starring roles in over a dozen feature films.
Today, Elvis Presley is the number three best selling artist of all time, behind only Garth Brooks and The Beatles.
Below we’ll look at the life and career of the “king of rock and roll” through his own words.
Also check out these Freddie Mercury quotes about being yourself.
Check out our most popular quote article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily inspiration.
Explore our complete collection of motivational quotes here.
Relatable Elvis Presley quotes
1. “There are too many people that depend on me. I’m too obligated. I’m in too far to get out.” – Elvis Presley
2. “It’s human nature to gripe, but I’m going ahead and doing the best I can.” – Elvis Presley
3. “I never expected to be anybody important.” – Elvis Presley
4. “I’ll never feel comfortable taking a strong drink, and I’ll never feel easy smoking a cigarette. I just don’t think those things are right for me.” – Elvis Presley
5. “I’m trying to keep a level head. You have to be careful out in the world. It’s so easy to get turned.” – Elvis Presley
6. “I think I have something tonight that’s not quite correct for evening wear. Blue suede shoes.” – Elvis Presley
7. “It’s not how much you have that makes people look up to you, it’s who you are.” – Elvis Presley
8. “Values are like fingerprints. Nobody’s are the same, but you leave ’em all over everything you do.” – Elvis Presley
9. “Truth is like the sun. You can shut it out for a time, but it ain’t goin’ away.” – Elvis Presley
10. “When things go wrong, don’t go with them.” – Elvis Presley
11. “Sad thing is, you can still love someone and be wrong for them.” – Elvis Presley
12. “Do something worth remembering.” – Elvis Presley
13. “Don’t criticize what you don’t understand, son. You never walked in that man’s shoes.” – Elvis Presley
Elvis Presley quotes about career
14. “Man, that record came out and was real big in Memphis. They started playing it, and it got real big. Don’t know why-the lyrics had no meaning.” – Elvis Presley
15. “I sure lost my musical direction in Hollywood. My songs were the same conveyor belt mass production, just like most of my movies were.” – Elvis Presley
16. “I’ve tried to lead a straight, clean life, not set any kind of a bad example.” – Elvis Presley
17. “I happened to come along in the music business when there was no trend.” – Elvis Presley
18. “The closest I ever came to getting married was just before I started singing. In fact, my first record saved my neck.” – Elvis Presley
19. “I’ve never written a song in my life. It’s all a big hoax.” – Elvis Presley
20. “That’s why I hate to get started in these jam sessions. I’m always the last one to leave.” – Elvis Presley
21. “I’m no hillbilly singer.” – Elvis Presley
22. “Since the beginning, it was just the same. The only difference, the crowds are bigger now.” – Elvis Presley
23. “My movements, ma’am, are all leg movements. I don’t do nothing with my body.” – Elvis Presley
24. “I like to sing ballads the way Eddie Fisher does and the way Perry Como does. But the way I’m singing now is what makes the money.” – Elvis Presley
You might also like these Miles Davis quotes from a legendary figure in American music.
Elvis Presley quotes to inspire greatness
25. “The colored folks been singing it and playing it just like I’m doin’ now, man, for more years than I know. I got it from them.” – Elvis Presley
What’s your favorite memory of Elvis Presley?
Although Elvis Presley is one of the most popular artists ever, the above quotes reveal that he was just a regular guy at the end of the day.
Through all of his success, he strived to stay grounded and make his family proud of him.
His work ethic is also undeniable.
From music to movies, he put everything he could into executing his best work possible.
That’s a large reason why Presley is still relevant to this day, over forty years after his untimely death.
Is there an Elvis Presley quote or lyric up above that you can’t get out of your head?
Drop us a comment below!
August 11, 2022 5:00 AM EST