Fiance Quotes Celebrating The Ones We Love
March 3, 2023 12:08 AM EST
Jump the broom with our sweet fiancé quotes.
If you are engaged, married, or thinking of popping the question, we have some of the most humorous, thought-provoking, and heart-warming fiancé quotes.
What is a fiancé?
Technically speaking, a fiancé is a man who is engaged to be married to someone.
However, as times evolve, words change, and different meanings arise.
It is essential to remember that many words in modern American English are from other languages.
The French language is prevalent in American English.
Right now, about seven thousand French words are used in today’s English; fiancé is one of those words.
Is fiancé male or female?
Traditionally, in French, the name fiancé is used for an engaged man, with fiancée as the female counterpart.
However, today, many engaged couples commonly refer to each other as fiancé.
Some people love the idea of having a fiancé, and others find using the term to be uncouth.
Here are some words a person can use that are synonymous with fiancé:
- Spouse to be
Why are people not using the word fiancé?
Words like fiancé are becoming less popular or fashionable, especially with millennials.
Many cite that millennials and generations after them are less concerned with labels.
Also, it is common for people to cohabitate with one another before marriage.
As a result, the shift from boyfriend/girlfriend/partner, to fiancé, to married does not always seem as impactful as they may intend.
Other people suggest that the term fiancé is too binary and does not appropriately apply to all types of relationships.
Some people find using the word to feel pompous or even foreign.
So what should we call the one we are engaged to?
People like John H. McWhorter, professor of linguistics at Columbia University, believe the answer is more straightforward than we realize.
In a recent NY Times article, he implores that we call engaged couples nothing at all, noting, “The new way of saying may not involve a word at all.”
He further suggests, “One can demote something to mere description rather than labeling.”
If you want more perspective and insight, check out our fiancé quotes below.
Short fiancé quotes that speak to the heart
These fiancé quotes do not need many words to make their point.
1. “With Keith’s [my fiancé] murder, I was changed.” — Nancy Grace
2. “It’s the way you look whenever she mentions her fiancé.” — Kenneth Oppel
3. “I never hated any of my ex-fiancés enough to return the rings.” — Zsa Zsa Gabor
4. “Margaritas are my favorite. And my fiancé makes them just perfect.” — Garance Dore
5. “I enjoy writing about what I and my fiancé, Debina Bonnerjee, are up to in my blog.” — Gurmeet Choudhary
6. “A fiancé is neither this nor that: he’s left one shore, but not yet reached the other.” — Anton Chekhov
7. “When I’m in really good shape, I like my butt. It’s juicy – that’s what my fiancé says.” — Ali Larter
8. “Garrett is my fiancé, and I love him, and to his core, I believe that he is a good person.” — Becca Kufrin
9. “I want to create a family with my fiancé and be able to live a simple life and just be safe.” — Nadia Murad
10. “I went to Australia and did a three-day hike with my fiancé through the wilderness, which was nice.” — Victoria Pendleton
The best fiancé quotes about love and life
Getting married is a milestone moment for many people, and these fiancé quotes remind us that life is a journey.
11. “I have a new fiancé; my life is sweet!” — Anonymous
12. “You cannot tie your fiancé to the railroad track of self-reflection and personal improvement.” — Amy Dickinson
13. “At the same time, these people have lives outside and families, and my character, in particular, he has a fiancé, and things are going well for him, so you’ve got to show that nice warm, compassionate side.” — Milo Ventimiglia
14. “From the biography of Freud, by Irving Stone, said by Freud’s fiancé after he teased her for being sweet, “Beware of truly sweet people. They have will of iron.” — Irving Stone
15. “Now I’ve got no fiancé, no home, no job, and I’m walking around a couple of hundred feet under the streets of London with the projected life expectancy of a suicidal fruit fly.” — Neil Gaiman
16. “Here, feeling as if he were facing the world with her by his side; feeling that she was here for him instead of, quite sensibly, for the health of her own fiancé–it was nearly impossible.” — Cassandra Clare
17. “Anxiety was not an emotion I could ever remember feeling when I went out in New York, and I wondered why tonight felt so different. Maybe it was because I no longer had a boyfriend or fiancé.” — Emily Giffin
18. “Summer glanced from Crystal to Nate and back. The question made her feel a little awkward. After all, she had saved him a seat. No, I’m her fiancé,” Nate said. We’ve been promised to each other since birth.” — Brandon Mull
19. “You’ve managed in our short three years together to kill not only my god but my father, my brother, and my fiancé. That’s kind of like a homicidal hat trick. It’s a strange foundation for a relationship, wouldn’t you say?” — Brandon Sanderson
20. “Richard wrote a mental diary in his head. Dear Diary, he began. On Friday, I had a job, a fiancé, a home, and a life that made sense. Then I found an injured girl bleeding on the pavement, and I tried to be Good Samaritan.” — Neil Gaiman
Fiancé quotes from movies and television shows
These quotes allow for reflection on what it means to be a fiancé in real life versus how fiancés are portrayed in our favorite shows and movies.
21. “I can’t write. I would love to. I don’t really have an interest in it, to be honest. I’ll leave that to my fiancé.” — Jennifer Aniston
22. “One of the first things you and your fiancé need to develop is a meaningful prayer life even before the wedding.” — James Dobson
23. “I was in a movie with Angelina Jolie called ‘Life Or Something Like It’s where I played her fiancé, and I have a song in there.” — Christian Kane
24. “My fiancé and I have pillow talk about it every day, all day. I rub her belly, I’m blessed, and I can’t wait for my little princess to get here.” — Jeff Green
25. “There’s nothing a woman hates more than her fiancé’s best friend. He knows all the secrets she’s going to spend the rest of her life trying to find out.” — Jeff Douglas
26. “The lies about me kissing ‘24’ are so upsetting because this is something that has really been taking a toll on me, my fiancé, and my relationship.” — Angelina Pivarnick
27. “Coming through the fire and through the storm of life with a strong man, my fiancé Ashanti, whom I’ve been dating for eight months, and two wonderful children beside me.” — Angie Stone
28. “It’s not normal to watch back your relationship on television, let alone with multiple relationships happening at the same time, and then also having your fiancé sitting in front of you, being one of those men.” — Tayshia Adams
29. “Everything in my life; family, friends, even my fiancé, are all second to soccer. And I’ve won every tournament where I haven’t had anyone there. It just seems to work for me. I don’t think I’m going to change that.” — Carli Lloyd
30. “My fiancé and I had a few problems working through some of the things that he saw me say and do on the ‘Surreal Life.’ Considering the company that I was in, Ron Jeremy and Trishelle from ‘The Real World,’ I think I was pretty tame.” — Traci Bingham
Fiancé quotes for her about strength and boundaries
Building a bond with someone in marriage means creating a special connection. Below are fiancé quotes from influential women.
31. “After I lost my fiancé, it seemed like it would be better to always be alone than to risk being hurt again.” — Nancy Grace
32. “I’m not a big reality TV person, although recently someone got me into 90 Day fiancé,’ which is pretty addictive.” — Phoebe Dynevor
33. “I heard someone say the other day that they thought it was sexier to call someone their fiancé instead of their husband or wife.” — Leelee Sobieski
34. “I don’t look at Twitter between events because it’s a distraction, but I will ring my fiancé and parents to let them know how it’s going.” — Jessica Ennis-Hill
35. “I started taking my fiancé, Justin, to some red carpet events I would go to, and a bowtie is often something that was required. We came across a lot of stylish bowties.” — Jesse Tyler Ferguson
36. “I believe everything is about balance. I’m not 100% vegan, and obviously, my fiancé and my friends are not vegan, so I have to come up with a menu that will satisfy everybody.” — Valentina Zelyaeva
37. “By the time I get done with my fans and my music and my kids and my family and my fiancé and my horses, well, they suffer too, but I don’t really have much time left to do anything else.” — Tanya Tucker
38. “The Foxy character and Inga Marchand are two different people. My fiancé calls me Inga. No one around me calls me Foxy. I go to church every Sunday. I go to Bible study every Friday night. I’m saved.” — Foxy Brown
39. “The first thing I read was of my character on the phone talking to Sydney’s fiancé. Though short, it was so beautifully written, and it made me laugh. I thought if I wanted to play a character, this would be it.” — Victor Garber
40. “It took two months from the day my fiancé proposed to my first Google search for ‘wedding planning: how?’ Now, let me interrupt myself here and share how much I hate using the word ‘fiancé.’” — Ellie Kemper
Funny fiancé quotes to make you chuckle
They say if you want enlightenment, lighten up. These fiancé quotes will make you smile.
41. “Neither my fiancé nor I take ourselves too seriously, and we want our wedding to reflect our lightheartedness.” — Leah Pipes
42. “Before you get married, you should meet your fiancé’s parents. It is not enough that you like his parole officer.” — Phyllis Diller
43. “It’s so fancy, and it’s hard not to sound like a jerk saying it. Which is why I will be using my own word for fiancé: gloob.” — Ellie Kemper
44. “My fiancé likes drawing on napkins, which I save. I’m always scared I’ll get caught taking a linen napkin from a restaurant!” — Lake Bell
45. “My husband is actually biracial. He is Caucasian and African American. And my brother’s fiancé is Latina. So we have a colorful family.” — Aja Brown
46. “I don’t think I’ve ever been haunted by a ghost, but I always joke with my fiancé about the house we’re living in right now. It seems to have something in it.” — Katee Sackhoff
47. “The way I inspire loyalty in my team is for them to see me more casually, to have lunch with members of my team, for them to see me with my family, my fiancé, to see the real me.” — Jennifer Hyman
48. “People win medals in all shapes and sizes! And I can’t help but say that finding a fiancé who loves me unconditionally at any size has played a huge role in my body confidence.” — Elana Meyers
49. “I feel the sexiest when my fiancé tells me – when I wake up in the morning, and my hair is a mess, and I’m in sweats – ‘You look so beautiful.’ So I feel the sexiest when I’m not trying hard.” — Joanna Krupa
50.“I’ve got really good friends and family. My parents, after 30 years, are still incredibly in love, still make each other laugh, which is a beautiful thing to see. And my brother and his fiancé are completely happy, so if I feel a bit lonely, I just go and sit with them and feel their love.” — Russell Tovey
Traditions evolve, and times change
The word fiancé came over from another language, so it is natural for the meaning to evolve.
Recent polls found that over twenty-five percent of respondents found using the word fiancéuncomfortable or preferred the word partner.
Still, there are plenty of people who do use the word fiancé.
So what are people supposed to do?
Some suggest that rather than introduce people as your fiancé; you can introduce people as your girlfriend, boyfriend, or partner.
Afterward, you may provide the extra context that you are getting married soon.
It is important to remember that the meanings of words shift over time.
Everyone has their preferences and should use the names and titles that make them feel comfortable.
Semantics has always been an influential part of humanity.
Whatever term feels best for the time between you getting engaged and married is the correct one.
What is your favorite fiancé quote?
Please, be sure to let us know in the comment section below.