Born as Angelina Jolie Voight on June 4, 1975 to actor Jon Voight and actress Marcheline Bertrand in Los Angeles, California, Angelina Jolie is a Hollywood actress and humanitarian.
She began acting at a young age, but her breakthrough role was with the 1998 television film Gia, for which she won a best actress Golden Globe. Multiple dramatic and brilliant performances in various films only increased her stardom. But acting wasn’t all she did: she was also charitable.
In 2001, she was made a Goodwill Ambassador for the UN Refugee Agency. In 2005, she received the United Nations Association of the USA’s Global Humanitarian Action Award for her activism. She continues to be active for multiple global issues today.
Angelina Jolie on Motherhood and Marriage
Angelina Jolie continues to act, and has recently begun directing in addition to acting. Jolie was married to Jonny Lee Miller from 1995 to 1999, to Billy Bob Thornton from 2000 to 2003, and she began dating Brad Pitt, in 2004.
Jolie has adopted several children, most of which were born in other countries (primarily third world countries). She and Brad even had a daughter of their own, named Shiloh. Jolie and Pitt were engaged in 2012, and he had adopted all of the children he had not co-adopted with her as his own in previous years.
Looking for Angelina Jolie quotes?
Here are some of the best moving Angelina Jolie quotes on love, motherhood, charity, and life. Read them, and once you’re done, be sure to sure to also check out our list of motivational Dove Cameron quotes.
Inspirational Angelina Jolie quotes on love and life
1. “We have a choice about how we take what happens to us in our life and whether or not we allow it to turn us. We can become consumed by hate and darkness, or we’re able to regain our humanity somehow, or come to terms with things and learn something about ourselves.” – Angelina Jolie
2. “Maleficent has suffered abuse in the past, and there’s a reason why she is now as furious as she is. And I think that children who have been outcast and abused in any way will relate to her. There’s a beautiful side to her; she’s not just a dark person. She has all these facets. And that is interesting.” – Angelina Jolie
3. “…I am so proud to now be a part of such an extraordinary part of the world and fellow citizen to the people I deeply love and admire.” – Angelina Jolie
4. “Like every parent, when you start your family, your life completely changes. And you completely live for someone else. I find that the most extraordinary thing. Your life is handed over to someone else. From that moment on, they come first in every choice you make. It’s the most wonderful thing.” – Angelina Jolie
5. “Women have certain sexuality, and I think their bodies are beautiful, and I’m not embarrassed to explore that in a film. But there are things you get offered that are vulgar and violent – just like there’s a side of me that’s vulgar and violent.” – Angelina Jolie
6. “I need more sex, OK? Before I die I wanna taste everyone in the world.” – Angelina Jolie
7. “I was of the generation where most of the Disney princesses and female characters were not girls that I admired. They just weren’t characters I looked up to and identified with.” – Angelina Jolie
8. “To be in any way a positive contribution, that’s all anybody wants to be. It’s all I’ve ever wanted to be. I wanted to be an artist, be a mother. You want to feel that in your life you’ve been of use, in whatever way that comes out.” – Angelina Jolie
9. “I am a strong believer that without justice, there is no peace. No lasting peace, anyway.” – Angelina Jolie
10. “I never thought I’d have children; I never thought I’d be in love, I never thought I’d meet the right person. Having come from a broken home – you kind of accept that certain things feel like a fairy tale, and you just don’t look for them.” – Angelina Jolie
Angelina Jolie quotes about her childhood and herself
11. “If I make a fool of myself, who cares? I’m not frightened by anyone’s perception of me.” – Angelina Jolie
12. “It’s a great thing about being pregnant – you don’t need excuses to pee or to eat.” – Angelina Jolie
13. “It’s hard to be clear about who you are when you are carrying around a bunch of baggage from the past. I’ve learned to let go and move more quickly into the next place.” – Angelina Jolie
14. “If every choice you make comes from an honest place, you’re solid, and nothing anybody can say about you can rock you or change your opinion.” – Angelina Jolie
15. “I don’t think the money people in Hollywood have ever thought I was normal, but I am dedicated to my work and that’s what counts.” – Angelina Jolie
16. “I grew up as this very carefree, happy kid then things turned darker for me. Maybe it was because I saw that the world wasn’t as happy a place as I had hoped it would be for me.” – Angelina Jolie
17. “I don’t believe in guilt; I believe in living on impulse as long as you never intentionally hurt another person. And don’t judge people in your life. I think you should live completely free.” – Angelina Jolie
18. “Where ever I am I always find myself looking out the window wishing I was somewhere else.” – Angelina Jolie
19. “I’m happy being myself, which I’ve never been before. I always hid in other people, or tried to find myself through the characters, or live out their lives, but I didn’t have those things in mine.” – Angelina Jolie
20. “Anytime I feel lost, I pull out a map and stare. I stare until I have reminded myself that life is a giant adventure, so much to do, to see.” – Angelina Jolie
Angelina Jolie quotes about childhood
21. “When other little girls wanted to be ballet dancers I kind of wanted to be a vampire.” – Angelina Jolie
22. “I’m just glad I was able to return to some of that innocence and beauty I had as a child when I started my own family, and my children brought me back some of that spirit.” – Angelina Jolie
23. “Life comes with many challenges. The ones that should not scare us are the ones we can take on and take control of.” – Angelina Jolie
24. “When I was little…I didn’t relate to princesses. I saw Maleficent, and I just thought she was so – she was so elegant.” – Angelina Jolie
25. “I don’t see myself as beautiful, because I can see a lot of flaws. People have really odd opinions. They tell me I’m skinny, as if that’s supposed to make me happy.” – Angelina Jolie
26. “If being sane is thinking there’s something wrong with being different…I’d rather be completely fucking mental.” – Angelina Jolie
27. “Anything that feels good couldn’t possibly be bad.” – Angelina Jolie
28. “I like someone who is a little crazy but coming from a good place. I think scars are sexy because it means you made a mistake that led to a mess.” – Angelina Jolie
29. “You’d think, ‘What if I make a mistake today, I’ll regret it’. I don’t believe in regret, I feel everything leads us to where we are and we have to just jump forward, mean well, commit and just see what happens.” – Angelina Jolie
30. “I’m with a man who’s evolved enough to look at my body and see it as more beautiful because of the journey it has taken.” – Angelina Jolie
Angelina Jolie quotes about love and beauty
31. “Save one-third, live on one-third, and give away one-third.” – Angelina Jolie
32. “When I get logical, and I don’t trust my instincts – that’s when I get in trouble.” – Angelina Jolie
33. “I always play women I would date.” – Angelina Jolie
34. “The mind wants to forget because it weighs so much on the heart and soul. I am tired of crying and feeling so helpless. I want to breathe again – just for a little while.” – Angelina Jolie
35. “I used to think I was unstable, because I had this thirst for something. I could never figure out what it was. I couldn’t sleep at night, and I always wanted to be somewhere else. I have a window tattooed, this little box, and it’s because wherever I was, I wanted to be somewhere else. And, I always saw myself, wherever I was in life, staring out the window.” – Angelina Jolie
36. “Not a lot of people get to see a movie where their parents fell in love. What’s going to be funny is when they think Mom and Dad are a little bit cool. Because right now, we’re not cool Mom and Dad.” – Angelina Jolie
37. “Sometimes I think my husband is so amazing that I don’t know why he’s with me. I don’t know whether I’m good enough. But if I make him happy, then I’m everything I want to be.” – Angelina Jolie
38. “The center of my life is my kids. I woke up at 3 in the morning with four kids with jet lag and two babies. I put myself together for a few hours and go out. And then I go home. This is my job.” – Angelina Jolie
39. “I have so much in my life. I want to be of value to the world.” – Angelina Jolie
40. “I want to be outspoken. I want to say my opinions and I hope they’re taken in the right way. I don’t want to stop being free. And I won’t.” – Angelina Jolie
More inspiring Angelina Jolie quotes about life
41. “I’m looking very much forward to growing older. I want to be an exhausted older woman but with a very full life behind me and one still going.” – Angelina Jolie
42. “There’s something about death that is comforting. The thought that you could die tomorrow frees you to appreciate your life now.” – Angelina Jolie
43. “Sometimes I think my husband is so amazing that I don’t know why he’s with me. I don’t know whether I’m good enough. But if I make him happy, then I’m everything I want to be.” – Angelina Jolie
44. “I always felt caged, closed in, like I was punching at things that weren’t there. I always had too much energy for the room I was in.” – Angelina Jolie
45. “I don’t see the point of doing an interview unless you’re going to share the things you learn in life and the mistakes you make. So to admit that I’m extremely human and have done some dark things I don’t think makes me unusual or unusually dark. I think it actually is the right thing to do, and I’d like to think it’s the nice thing to do.” – Angelina Jolie
46. “We want to make sure we don’t build a family so big that we don’t have absolutely enough time to raise them each really well. Children are clearly a commitment, a bigger commitment [than marriage]. It’s for life.” – Angelina Jolie
47. “Make bold choices and make mistakes. It’s all those things that add p to the person you become.” – Angelina Jolie
48. “I’m still having trouble convincing Pax that underwear and pants go together – underwear is not pants!” – Angelina Jolie
Which Angelina Jolie quotes are your favorites?
Angelina Jolie has faced some tough choices in life. One of them was when she was met with extreme criticism from the media after choosing to undergo a double mastectomy (in 2013 and 2015) and removal of her ovaries as well as fallopian tubes to reduce her risk for cancer. She says that she chose to go public with her decision to help other women know the risks and the options related to cancer in women.
It hasn’t been easy for Hollywood star and humanitarian Angelina Jolie. Despite various controversies over her split up with ex-husband Brad Pitt (there are some reports that they seem to be reconciling, despite finally settling the divorce), she remains a strong, lively woman who is a role model for many.
May 5, 2019 9:00 AM EST