These Field of Dreams quotes are great for the sentimental baseball fan.
Baseball has long been America’s favorite pastime, which is why the movie Field of Dreams has been so treasured since its release in 1989.
This fantasy sports film is written and directed by Phil Aldin Robinson, based on W. P. Kinsella’s 1982 novel Shoeless Joe.
It follows Ray Kinsella (played by Kevin Costner) and family as they build a baseball diamond in their cornfield.
After building the field, ghosts of former famous baseball players including “Shoeless” Joe Jackson emerge from the corn to relive their glory days and play together on the field of dreams.
Field of Dreams received generally positive reviews from critics and got nominated for three Academy Awards.
In 2017, the Library of Congress selected the film for preservation in the United States National Film Registry for being “culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant”.
This drama is packed with memorable quotes.
Here are some of the best Field of Dreams quotes.
Don’t forget to also check out these Baseball quotes for the inner child.
The Best Field of Dreams Quotes
1. “If you build it, he will come.” – Joe Jackson
2. “Go the distance.” – Joe Jackson
3. “Dad … you wanna have a catch?” – Ray Kinsella
4. “[heaven] It’s the place where dreams come true.” – John Kinsella
5. “Any game becomes important when you know and love the players.” – Joe Jackson
6. “For its money they have and peace they lack. – Terence Mann
Funny Field of Dreams Quotes
7. “This is my corn. You people are guests in my corn.” – Ray Kinsella
8. “It’s okay, honey. I… I was just talking to the cornfield.” – Ray Kinsella
9. “You build a baseball field, and you sit here, and stare at NOTHING.” – Mark
10. “Peace, love, dope. Now get the hell out of here.” – Terence Mann
11. “The only thing we had in common was that she was from Iowa, and I had once heard of Iowa.” – Ray Kinsella
12. “Hey ump, how ’bout a warning?” – Archie Graham
“Sure, kid. Watch out you don’t get killed.” – Umpire
13. “Don’t we need a catcher?” – Ray Kinsella
“Not if you get it near the plate we don’t.” – Joe Jackson
Sentimental Field of Dreams Quotes
14. “This is my most special place in all the world, Ray. Once a place touches you like this, the wind never blows so cold again. You feel for it like it was your child.” – Archie Graham
15. “Getting thrown out of baseball was like having part of me amputated.” – Joe Jackson
16. “Fifty years ago, for five minutes you came within… y-you came this close. It would KILL some men to get so close to their dream and not touch it. God, they’d consider it a tragedy.” – Ray Kinsella
“Son, if I’d only gotten to be a doctor for five minutes… now that would have been a tragedy.” – Archie Graham
17. “Mom died when I was three, and I suppose Dad did the best he could. Instead of Mother Goose, I was put to bed at night to stories of Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig, and the great Shoeless Joe Jackson.”– Ray Kinsella
18. “I’m 36 years old, I love my family, I love baseball and I’m about to become a farmer. But until I heard the voice, I’d never done a crazy thing in my whole life.” – Ray Kinsella
19. “Man, I did love this game. I’d have played for food money. It was the game… The sounds, the smells. Did you ever hold a ball or a glove to your face?” – Joe Jackson
20. “Chance to squint at a sky so blue that it hurts your eyes just to look at it. To feel the tingling in your arm as you connect with the ball. To run the bases … stretch a double into a triple, and flop face-first into third, wrap your arms around the bag. That’s my wish.” – Archie Graham
21. “It was like coming this close to your dreams and then watch them brush past you like a stranger in a crowd. At the time, you don’t think much of it.” – Archie Graham
22. “I used to love traveling on the trains from town to town. The hotels… brass spittoons in the lobbies, brass beds in the rooms. It was the crowd, rising to their feet when the ball was hit deep. Shoot, I’d play for nothing!” – Joe Jackson
Favorite Annie Kinsella Quotes
23. “If you were married to me you would kill me in my sleep.” – Annie Kinsella
24. “At least he is not a book burner, you Nazi cow.” – Annie Kinsella
25. “All right, Beulah, do you want to step outside?” – Annie Kinsella
Which of these Field of Dreams quotes is your favorite?
This movie has the perfect balance of humor and heart while perfectly preserving the culture and ideals of America’s past time.
Because of this, Field of Dreams earned its preservation in the Library of Congress in 2017.
Whether you’re a lifelong fan of the game or just beginning, this movie will surely captivate you.
Even people who don’t like baseball enjoy the film.
Most people, even those who have never seen the movie, are familiar with the famous line, “If you build it, they will come.”
And if you’re ever passing through the midwest, you can stop and see the field yourself hidden in the small little town of Dyersville in northern Iowa.
Did you enjoy reading these Field of Dreams quotes and lines?
Which of the quotes is your favorite?
Let us know in the comment section below.
August 17, 2022 5:00 AM EST