These Field of Dreams quotes are great for the sentimental baseball fan.
Baseball has long been America’s favorite pastime, which is why the movie Field of Dreams has been so treasured since its release in 1989.
This fantasy sports film directed by Phil Aldin Robinson follows Ray Kinsella and family as they build a baseball diamond in their cornfield.
After building the field, ghosts of former famous baseball players including “Shoeless” Joe Jackson emerge from the corn to relive their glory days and play together on the field of dreams. This drama is packed with memorable quotes. Here are some of the best Field of Dreams quotes.
Don’t forget to also check out these Baseball quotes for the inner child.
The Best Field of Dreams Quotes
1. “If you build it, he will come.” – Joe Jackson
2. “Go the distance.” – Joe Jackson
3. “We just don’t recognize life’s most significant moments while they’re happening. Back then I thought, “Well, there’ll be other days”. I didn’t realize that that was the only day.” – Archie Graham
4. “Is this heaven?” – John Kinsella
“It’s Iowa.” – Ray Kinsella
5. “They’ll watch the game and it’ll be as if they dipped themselves in magic waters. The memories will be so thick they’ll have to brush them away from their faces. People will come, Ray.” – Terence Mann
6. “Hey, what if the Voice calls while you’re gone?” – Annie Kinsella
“Take a message.” – Ray Kinsella
Funny Field of Dreams Quotes
7. “The only thing we had in common was that she was from Iowa, and I had once heard of Iowa.” – Ray Kinsella
8. “Don’t we need a catcher?” – Ray Kinsella
“Not if you get it near the plate we don’t.” – Joe Jackson
9. “Come on, it’s so big – I mean, how can you lose something so big?” – Ray Kinsella
“He misplaced the house once.” – Annie Kinsella
“Yeah, but it turned up two days later, didn’t it?” – Ray Kinsella
10. “Peace, love, dope. Now get the hell out of here.” – Terence Mann
11. “This is my corn. You people are guests in my corn.” – Ray Kinsella
12. “Hey ump, how ’bout a warning?” – Archie Graham
“Sure, kid. Watch out you don’t get killed.” – Umpire
13. “It’s okay, honey. I… I was just talking to the cornfield.” – Ray Kinsella
Sentimental Field of Dreams Quotes
14. “This is my most special place in all the world, Ray. Once a place touches you like this, the wind never blows so cold again. You feel for it, like it was your child.” – Archie Graham
15. “Getting thrown out of baseball was like having part of me amputated. I’ve heard that old men wake up and scratch itchy legs that been dust for over fifty years. That was me. I’d wake up at night with the smell of the ball park in my nose, the cool of the grass on my feet… The thrill of the grass.” – Joe Jackson
16. “Fifty years ago, for five minutes you came within… y-you came this close. It would KILL some men to get so close to their dream and not touch it. God, they’d consider it a tragedy.” – Ray Kinsella
“Son, if I’d only gotten to be a doctor for five minutes… now that would have been a tragedy.” – Archie Graham
17. “Mom died when I was three, and I suppose Dad did the best he could. Instead of Mother Goose, I was put to bed at night to stories of Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig, and the great Shoeless Joe Jackson.”– Ray Kinsella
18. “I’m 36 years old, I love my family, I love baseball and I’m about to become a farmer. But until I heard the voice, I’d never done a crazy thing in my whole life.” – Ray Kinsella
19. “Man, I did love this game. I’d have played for food money. It was the game… The sounds, the smells. Did you ever hold a ball or a glove to your face?” – Joe Jackson
20. “Chance to squint at a sky so blue that it hurts your eyes just to look at it. To feel the tingling in your arm as you connect with the ball. To run the bases … stretch a double into a triple, and flop face-first into third, wrap your arms around the bag. That’s my wish.” – Archie Graham
21. “It was like coming this close to your dreams and then watch them brush past you like a stranger in a crowd. At the time, you don’t think much of it.” – Archie Graham
22. “I used to love traveling on the trains from town to town. The hotels… brass spittoons in the lobbies, brass beds in the rooms. It was the crowd, rising to their feet when the ball was hit deep. Shoot, I’d play for nothing!” – Joe Jackson
Favorite Annie Kinsella Quotes
23. “If you were married to me you would kill me in my sleep.” – Annie Kinsella
24. “At least he is not a book burner, you Nazi cow.” – Annie Kinsella
25. “All right, Beulah, do you want to step outside?” – Annie Kinsella
26. “They’re talking about banning books again! Really subversive books, like “The Wizard of Oz”…”the Diary of Anne Frank”…” – Annie Kinsella
27. “Terence Mann was a voice of reason during a time of great madness. He coined the phrase, “Make love, not war”. Where others were chanting, “Burn, baby burn”, he talked about love, and peace and understanding.” – Annie Kinsella
More Funny Field of Dreams Quotes
28. “I’m going to beat you with a crowbar until you leave.” – Terence Mann
29. “Oh my God…You’re from the sixties” – Terence Mann
30. “You build a baseball field, and you sit here, and stare at NOTHING.” – Mark
31. “What you grinning at, you ghost?” – Ray Kinsella
32. “My name’s Ray Kinsella. You used my father’s name in one of your stories.” – Ray Kinsella
“You’re seeing a whole team of psychiatrists, aren’t you?” – Terence Mann
33. “I know a lot about farming. I know more than you think I know.” – Ray Kinsella
“Then how could you plow under your major crop?” – Mark
“What’s a crop?” – Ray Kinsella
34. “He’s dead. Died in ’51; he’s dead.” – Ray Kinsella
“He’s the one they suspended, right?” – Annie Kinsella
“Right.” – Ray Kinsella
“He’s still dead?” – Annie Kinsella
“Far as I know.” – Ray Kinsella
Other Field of Dreams Quotes
35. “Dad … you wanna have a catch?” – Ray Kinsella
36. “I did it all. I listened to the voices, I did what they told me, and not once did I ask what’s in it for me.” – Ray Kinsella
37. “By the time I was ten, playing baseball got to be like eating vegetables or taking out the garbage. So when I was fourteen I started refusing. Can you believe that? An American boy refusing to have a catch with his father.” – Ray Kinsella
38. “I was the East Coast distributor of “involved.” I ate it, drank it, and breathed it… Then they killed Martin, Bobby, and they elected Tricky Dick twice, and people like you must think I’m miserable because I’m not involved anymore. Well, I’ve got news for you. I spent all my misery years ago. I have no more pain for anything. I gave at the office.” – Terence Mann
39. “The first two were high and tight, so where do you think the next one’s gonna be?” – Joe Jackson
“Well, either low and away, or in my ear.” – Archie Graham
40. “[heaven] It’s the place where dreams come true.” – John Kinsella
Which of these Field of Dreams quotes is your favorite?
This movie has the perfect balance of humor and heart while perfectly preserving the culture and ideals of America’s past time. Because of this, Field of Dreams earned its preservation in the Library of Congress in 2017.
Whether you’re a lifelong fan of the game or just beginning, this movie will surely captivate you. Even people who don’t like baseball enjoy the film. Most people, even those who have never seen the movie, are familiar with the famous line, “If you build it, they will come.”
And if you’re ever passing through the midwest, you can stop and see the field yourself hidden in the small little town of Dyersville in northern Iowa.
Did you enjoy reading these Field of Dreams quotes and lines? Which of the quotes is your favorite? Let us know in the comment section below.
July 9, 2021 7:00 AM EST