Nas Quotes on Life, Music, and Justice
March 18, 2023 5:00 AM EST
If you know me, you know Nas is my favorite rapper.
In my opinion, he is the greatest of all times; there’s no debating this with me.
Thanks to my older sister, I first heard Nas on Main Source’s “Live at the Barbeque”.
I became a true fan when “Illmatic” was released.
I remember this day vividly.
I was on an eighth-grade field trip.
We stopped at a mall and while others bought Wu-Tang and Outkast tapes, I copped Outkast, Gang Starr, and Nas.
You may also enjoy our article on:
According to a report by the American Civil Liberties Union, black people are nearly four times more likely to be arrested for marijuana possession than white people, despite similar rates of usage.
This statistic highlights the racial inequities in drug enforcement that Nas has criticized in his music.
On the bus back home, I popped in “Illmatic” and was mesmerized.
I let a few of my classmates listen in and they went berserk.
One of my teachers noticed the commotion and came over.
She intended to take my tape due to its parental advisory, but she let me slide because she was amazed with Nas’s lyrics when she heard his rhymes.
Through the years, I have become a bigger fan of Nas’.
He is a favorite because you can see his growth as a person through his music.
He isn’t afraid to speak on a variety of subjects and issues, which is great because life is diverse.
Nas’ diversity and life views are the reasons why I relate to him more than any other musician.
Below are some of my most favorite Nas quotes.
Some are lyrics from his songs, and others are statements from interviews.
I didn’t want to give my interpretation of these Nas quotes because I feel each one will have different meanings for each person.
Check out our most popular quote article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily inspiration.
Our inspirational quote category page has even more inspirational and educational quotes.
Best Nas Quotes on Life and Music
A study by the University of Wisconsin-Madison found that exposure to violence can have long-term psychological effects on young people, including increased risk of depression and anxiety.
This statistic supports Nas’ emphasis on the impact of violence on communities, particularly on young people.
1.“Mistakes make masterful teachers.” – Nas, Hip-hop artist, Feeling Success
You will also enjoy our article on rap songs.
2. “Every great person educates themselves.” – Nas
You will also enjoy our article on az quotes quotes.
3. “Mind’s in another world thinking how can we exist through the facts”- Nas
You will also enjoy our article on nba youngboy quotes.
4. “Life Is Good’ represents the most beautiful, dramatic and heavy moments in my life.” – Nas
You will also enjoy our article on third eye quotes.
5. “I think more people want to be rappers than anything else.” – Nas
You will also enjoy our article on jay z quotes.
6. “I promise you, if you have a plan, you can accomplish everything you ever wanted.” – Nas
You will also enjoy our article on kevin gates quotes and lyrics.
7. “I want to have fun. It’s a beautiful life. You learn, you win, you lose, but you get up.” – Nas
You will also enjoy our article on lauryn hill quotes.
8. “I want to sound like an instrument. I want my voice and my words to marry the beat.” – Nas
You will also enjoy our article on g herbo quotes.
9. “The whole thing is, do as much as you can, when you possibly can, and don’t stress.” – Nas
You will also enjoy our article on prince quotes.
10. “You have to Keep your vision clear, Cause only a coward lives in fear” – Nas, Hip-hop artist, Friends
You will also enjoy our article on bts quotes.
11. “People fear what they don’t understand, hate what they can’t conquer
Guess it’s just the theory of man” – Nas, Hip-hop artist, Hate Me Now
You will also enjoy our article on song quotes.
12. “I think it’s harder to make a classic now, not because of what people say, but because artists now are so concerned with what people say.” – Nas
You will also enjoy our article on the weeknd quotes.
13. “If you scared to take chances, you’ll never have the answers
I could tell the future of a dude by how his stance is” – Nas, Hip-hop artist, Trust
You will also enjoy our article on Wu-Tang quotes.
14. “No idea’s original, there’s nothin new under the sun
It’s never what you do, but how it’s done
What you base your happiness around material, women, and large paper
That means you inferior, not major” – Nas, Hip-hop artist, No Idea’s Original
15. “Some seek fame cause they need validation
Some say hating is confused admiration” – Nas, Hip-hop artist, Stay
16. “Everything will eventually come to an end
So try to savor the moment, cuz time flies don’t it
The beauty of life, you gotta make it last for the better
Cuz nothin’ lasts forever”- Nas, Hip-hop artist, Nothing Lasts Forever
17. “Life is Parallel to Hell, but I must maintain”- Nas, Hip-hop artist, New York State of Mind
18. “Life is short is what some niggaz said; not if you measure life – by how one lives and what he did.” – Nas
19. “Look way deep inside yourself
Discover the diamond inside, find ya wealth
Once you get it, you gotta live it the limit” – Nas, Hip-hop artist, Find Ya Wealth
20. “In the mirror, sittin still in the chair like my conception
When everything around me got cloudy, the chair became a king’s throne
My destiny found me
It was clear why the struggle was so painful
Metamorphosis, this is what I changed to
And God, I’m so thankful” – Nas, Hip-hop artist, You The Man
21. “The reason I want to be alone, is I’m tired of all the things that went wrong that would’ve went right if I had did ’em on my own” – Nas
22. “The China-men built the railroad
The Indians saved the Pilgrim
And in return the Pilgrim killed em
They call it it Thanksgiving, I call your holiday hellday
Cause I’m from poverty, neglected by the wealthy
Me and my niggas share gifts every day like Christmas” – Nas, Hip-hop artist, What Goes Around
Also, check out these Kevin Gates quotes about music and life.
Inspiring Quotes by Nas
A report by the Sentencing Project found that African Americans are more likely to be incarcerated than any other racial or ethnic group in the United States.
This statistic reflects the racial disparities in the criminal justice system that Nas frequently addresses in his music.
23. “I do what I can do when I can do it
Feel how I feel when I feel what I’m feelin
Live how I live it’s only cause I been through it”– Nas, Hip-hop artist, The Flyest
24. “My music is a description of my vibe of course
My life, my sites, my thoughts, what I like on my fork
Cause you are what you eat, you eat what you can
You pray to bless the food but first you wash your hands
to wash away them bad spirits, don’t bring it in your home
Once you let them in they stayin, evil be gone, say it” – Nas, Hip-hop artist, The Flyest
25. “Political thugs in shark suits persuade us to pull triggers
in army boots, yellin “Join the armed forces!”
We lost the Vietnam War, intoxicated poisons
Needles in arms of veterans instead of bigger fortunes
There’s still a lot of brothers callin in the corporate offices
War in the ghetto, we crabs in a barrel, they torture us
They won’t be servin the beast too long
The murderers wearin police uniforms, confederate flags I burn
Beat Street breakers were dancin to the music I chose
And Peachtree Atlantic crackheads was tootin they nose
in frozen corners of Chicago, loaded up Llama’s children
with fo’-fo’s, and double-revolvers
We devil incarnates, headed for jail
Where Shell gas company in South Africa be havin us killed
Your paper money was the death of Christ
And all these shorties comin up just resurrect your life
It’s like a cycle” – Nas, Hip-hop artist, Doo Rags
You will also enjoy our article on xxxtentacion quotes and lyrics.
26. “Do your body right and it loves you back
You only get one life, and yo because of that
I’m still blazin, goin out for the cause.” – Nas, Hip-hop artist, Doo Rags
27. “I fell in love with words and I think that made my mom smile. I think that was cool for her.”- Nas
28. “The money’s ya religion sky the limit live life
Numbers is big business makes the poor live trife
The glimmers of hope provoke those without dollars to dream
Through your existence become wealthy knowledge is king.” – Nas, Hip-hop artist, Book of Rhymes
29. “Don’t ever give up on yourself. Keep pushing because the change of guards is what life’s all about. You’ve always got to stick with whatever you’re into because you’re day is going to come. You’re day is destined. If you walk away from that, whether it be from fear or whether you’re just giving up. The greatest sin is fear and giving up.” – Nas, Hip-hop artist, AZ Quotes
30. “There was nothing more important to me than having a voice. I wanted to make a big impact on this art form; I wanted to kick everybody out. I wanted to open up a doorway for another generation.” – Nas, Hip-hop artist, Fader’s “Obey Your Thirst” Interview
31. “There was a side of me that knew I was going to change the game, but I didn’t know how many people would respect it.” – Nas, Hip-hop artist, Daily Success Life
You will also enjoy our article on Nipsey Hussle quotes.
More Nas Quotes
32. “No one’s promised anything. You could have the biggest record on radio and sell no records.” – Nas, Hip-hop artist, quotetab.com
33. “I’m capable of anything; my imagination can give me wings.” – Nas, Hip-hop artist, Thugz Mansion
34. “Every time I get in the studio, I feel like I wanna have some fun. My fun is not doing the easy work. My fun is doing what’s me.” – Nas, Hip-hop artist, beyourselfbehappy.com
35. “You’re supposed to be who you are. You’re supposed to make music that is true to you.” – Nas, Hip-hop artist, feelingsuccess.com
36. “I think a lot of us know when it’s our time. No matter what profession you’re in, you get a feeling. If you worked on it long enough, you know when it’s ready.” – Nas, Hip-hop artist, Tavis Smiley Interview
37. “If you’re given an opportunity and you’re lucky enough to have freedom to do what you want to do in your career, why trap yourself, why do something that’s not you.” – Nas, Hip-hop artist, Fader’s “ObeyYour Thirst” Interview
38. “No temporary chaos is worth your sanity. Just knowing that whatever happens, it happens to the best of them, too.” – Nas, Hip-hop artist, Origin Magazine
39. “I don’t have any regrets. The things that I have said when I was young and curious about whatever the subject matter was, I respect those – those are growing pains. Even if you make mistakes, I go back to those things, my not-so-great moments because those are my truest moments; those are my human moments. I’m not even mad at the things I said that were a little dicey.” – Nas, Hip-hop artist, The Wrap Up blog
40. “Working with great people makes you great; you learn a lot and it also gives you the experience and confidence to move on with your own career.” – Nas, Hip-hop artist, Ask Men Interview
41. “Reading is everything, and although you already know some things, you need to read to get those things out of you.”- Nas, Hip-hop artist, Ask Men Interview
42. “I’m never gonna die, never heard of death, energy can never be destroyed only the flesh.” – Nas, Hip-hop artist, Eye 4 an Eye Freestyle
43. “Right, bless the lucky ones, man, that come into this business and can get the business side of it really easily… everyone wants to be a star, wants to do art, express themselves, do their thing and be appreciated. But there’s a business that comes with it. I am sure that most of the people step into it not knowing what the business side involves. There is a low percentage, maybe 2 percent, that knows the business side, and you can be black, white or whatever you are. So, I mean, we all learn from our experiences… some sooner than others.” – Nas, Hip-hop artist, Ask Men Interview
44. “You only have one first chance to make one first impression that lasts a lifetime.” – Nas
If you’re enjoying this article, you might also like these XXXTentacion quotes to help weave through the darkness within.
45. “Failure is not an option, and I always felt like I’m a man who doesn’t have regrets, and I don’t live with excuses. I can’t take excuses.” – Nas, Hip-hop artist, Tavis Smiley Interview
46. “Always observe, watch, and talk to older people.” – Nas, Hip-hop artist, Origin Magazine
47. “Don’t ever give up on yourself. Keep pushing because the change of guards is what life’s all about. You’ve always got to stick with whatever you’re into because you’re day is going to come. You’re day is destined. If you walk away from that, whether it be from fear or whether you’re just giving up. The greatest sin is fear and giving up.” – Nas, Hip-hop artist, Origin Magazine
48. “All races, we can’t come together as Americans until our lives are threatened as a whole. And then we can always be together. In the middle of that, I noticed that racism in America does not stop. I wish I could ignore racism, but it won’t let me.” – Nas, Hip-hop artist, Ask Men Interview
49. “I’m inspired by people like Nelson Mandela. Can you imagine — you know how racist America was back then — imagine how racism was in South Africa when he had to stand up and say what he had to say. That’s bravery beyond comprehension. Then to survive in prison and to come home and be so resilient, he’s a Role Model in many ways. His eyes tell a story of glory.” – Nas, Hip-hop artist, CNN Interview
50. “My success symbolizes loyalty, great friends
Dedication, hard work, routine builds character
In a world full of snakes, rats and scavengers”
– Nas, Hip-hop artist, You Wouldn’t Understand
You might also like these inspirational AZ quotes from his song lyrics.
51. “I know you think my life is good ’cause my diamond piece, But my life been good since I started finding peace.” – Nas
52. “A lot of times it seems like, you ain’t gon’ make it where you wanna be in life. But, yo if you got a plan, believe me you gon’ get there. You gon’ get everything you ever wanted.” – Nas
53. “If you really believe in yourself and your music that much, you’re gonna do your thing, regardless what people say.” – Nas
54. “I talk about life, and I make universal music with an American style – and that’s what I do.” – Nas
55. “The sound of the ’90s, to me, is a combination of soul and street – it’s a feeling.” – Nas
Short Nas Quotes To Keep You Going
56. “Beyond the walls of intelligence, life is defined.” — Nas
57. “Much success to you, even if you wish me the opposite.” — Nas
58. “I never brag, how real i keep it, cause thats the best secret.” — Nas
59. “For my hustlers, here’s some motivation: He who has begun is half done.” — Nas
60. “Play it cool, that’s the old school rule man.” — Nas
61. “Just sitting in silence is one of the best things a man can do.” — Nas
62. “Once you make it to your point of making it, you’ll appreciate the struggle.” — Nas
63. “The further I get, the further I want to go.” — Nas
64. “Respect all fear none my pride is everything.” — Nas
65. “Your look reflects whats happening in your mind.” — Nas
Which of these Nas quotes were you able to relate with?
I hope these Nas quotes have helped you to look at life, music, and our system differently.
I hope they inspire you to succeed and make a positive change in the world.
As Nas has shown you, expand your knowledge and interests, and the world will be in your hands.
November 11, 2022 at 8:35 AM
Nas True King 🤴 🙌
May 5, 2020 at 11:55 PM
NAS is special. Great article, bless up.