25 General George Patton Quotes from One of the Great American Heroes
August 12, 2022 5:00 AM EST
If you’re interested in United States history including World War I and World War II, these General George Patton quotes are for you.
If there is one person who has led many successful missions for the country, it was General George Patton who dedicated his life to war.
General George Patton, Jr. played an immense part in protecting the country when he served as a general of the United States Army.
He was the one who spearheaded the Seventh United States Army during World War II in the Mediterranean theater and conquered Sicily.
General Patton was also the force behind the United States Army Central located in France and Germany in 1944.
Many know him under the nicknames Bandito, The Old Man, and Old Blood and Guts.
Read these George Patton quotes to learn more about his experiences and opinions.
Don’t forget to also check out these general James Mattis quotes about leadership and the military.
If you like this article, we suggest you explore our most popular quotes article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily encouragement.
Read more related content on our inspirational quotes category page.
General George Patton quotes about military life
1. “War is an art and as such is not susceptible of explanation by fixed formula.” ― General George Patton
2. “An army is a team. It lives, eats, sleeps, fights as a team. This individuality stuff is a bunch of bullshit.” ― General George Patton
3. “Few men are killed by the bayonet, many are scared by it. Bayonets should be fixed when the firefight starts.” ― General George Patton
4. “No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country.” ― General George Patton
5. “If you can’t get them to salute when they should salute and wear the clothes you tell them to wear, how are you going to get them to die for their country?” ― General George Patton
6. “Infantry must move forward to close with the enemy. It must shoot in order to move…. To halt under fire is folly. To halt under fire and not fire back is suicide. Officers must set the example.” ― General George Patton
7. “There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time.” ― General George Patton
8. “We want to get the hell over there. The quicker we clean up this Goddamned mess, the quicker we can take a little jaunt against the purple pissing Japs and clean out their nest, too. Before the Goddamned Marines get all of the credit.” ― General George Patton
9. “It is absurd to believe that soldiers who cannot be made to wear the proper uniform can be induced to move forward in battle. Officers who fail to perform their duty by correcting small violations and in enforcing proper conduct are incapable of leading.” ― General George Patton
10. “Prisoner of War guard companies, or an equivalent organization, should be as far forward as possible in action to take over prisoners of war because troops heated with battle are not safe custodians. Any attempt to rob or loot prisoners of war by escorts must be dealt strictly with.” ― General George Patton
11. “Sure, we want to go home. We want this war over with. The quickest way to get it over with is to go get the bastards who started it. The quicker they are whipped, the quicker we can go home. The shortest way home is through Berlin and Tokyo. And when we get to Berlin, I am personally going to shoot that paper hanging son-of-a-bitch, Hitler. Just like I’d shoot a snake!” ― General George Patton
Brave General George Patton quotes
12. “Take calculated risks.” ― General George Patton
13. “Courage is fear holding on a minute longer.” ― General George Patton
14. “I am a soldier, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight.” ― General George Patton
15. “Wars may be fought with weapons, but they are won by men.” ― General George Patton
16. “Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men.” ― General George Patton
17. “It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.” ― General George Patton
18. “All men are timid on entering any fight. Whether it is the first or the last fight, all of us are timid. Cowards are those who let their timidity get the better of their manhood.” ― General George Patton
19. “You cannot be disciplined in great things and indiscipline in small things. Brave undisciplined men have no chance against the discipline and valor of other men. Have you ever seen a few policemen handle a crowd?” ― General George Patton
20. “There’s a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates.” ― General George Patton
General George Patton quotes and sayings about life
21. “Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way.” ― General George Patton
22. “If a man does his best, what else is there?” ― General George Patton
23. “If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn’t thinking.” ― General George Patton
24. “Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.” ― General George Patton
25. “Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory.” ― General George Patton
What did you learn from these General George Patton quotes?
During his early life, General George Patton had already experienced hardship.
He had difficulty in reading and writing and he had to be tutored for a time in order to keep up with his school’s requirements.
Despite this, the general worked hard to study and later on chose a life in the military.
This honed him to become the brave and courageous hero that he was, further gaining positions in the military and becoming a forefront leader in both World War I and II.
Even after his death in 1945, George Patton’s legacy continued.
Many General Patton quotes are referenced in situations from military to leadership and business.
What did you learn from these General George Patton quotes and sayings?
Do you have any other favorite quotes to add?
Let us know in the comment section below.