These ferocious Genghis Khan quotes are from a man who rose from modest beginnings and became the leader of one of the largest empires in the world’s history.
When Genghis Khan was nine, his father was murdered, and his mother was kicked out from their tribe and forced to raise Genghis and his six siblings on her own.
Later, Genghis and his wife were captured as slaves but Genghis managed to escape and established himself as a fierce warrior.
Genghis ruled over a million people and killed many more than that.
Yet, as a ruler, he was very forward thinking.
He was tolerant of other religions and often tried to treat peacefully before resorting to violence.
These Genghis Khan quotes reflect the thoughts of a leader who united the world into one empire.
For more inspiration to find your inner champion, be sure to also check out our collection of warrior quotes on having an unbeatable mind.
If you like this article, we suggest you explore our most popular quotes article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily encouragement.
Check out more inspirational quotes on our motivational quotes category page.
Ferocious Genghis Khan quotes
1. “A person is more work to break his enemies, drive them before him, and of them all is to hear the screams of those they loved.” – Genghis Khan
2. “Man’s greatest joy is to slay his enemy, plunder his riches, ride his steeds, see the tears of his loved ones and embrace his women.” – Genghis Khan
3. “Come and sip from the cup of destruction.” – Genghis Khan
4. “A man’s greatest moment in life is when his enemy lays vanquished, his village aflame, his herds driven before you and his weeping wives and daughters are clasped to your breast.” –Genghis Khan
5. “Happiness lies in conquering one’s enemies, in driving them in front of oneself, in taking their property, in savoring their despair, in outraging their wives and daughters.” – Genghis Khan
6. “A man’s greatest work is to break his enemies, to drive them before him, to take from them all the things that have been theirs, to hear the weeping of those who cherished them.” – Genghis Khan
7. “Man’s highest joy is in victory: to conquer one’s enemies; to pursue them; to deprive them of their possessions; to make their beloved weep; to ride on their horses; and to embrace their wives and daughters.” – Genghis Khan
8. “I am the flail of god. Had you not created great sins; god would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” –Genghis Khan
9. “The Greatest Happiness is to scatter your enemy and drive him before you. To see his cities reduced to ashes. To see those who love him shrouded and in tears. And to gather to your bosom his wives and daughters.” – Genghis Khan
10. “All who surrender will be spared; whoever does not surrender but opposes with struggle and dissension, shall be annihilated.” – Genghis Khan
11. “The pleasure and joy of man lies in treading down the rebel and conquering the enemy, in tearing him up by the root, in taking from him all that he has.” – Genghis Khan
12. “Oh people, know that you have committed great sins. If you ask me what proof I have for these words, I say it is because I am the punishment of God. If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you!” – Genghis Khan
13. “A man’s greatest joy is crushing his enemies.” ― Genghis Khan
Genghis Khan quotes on leadership and humility
14. “In the space of seven years I have succeeded in accomplishing a great work and uniting the whole world in one Empire.” – Genghis Khan
15. “As my calling is high, the obligations incumbent upon me are also heavy; and I fear that in my ruling there may be something wanting.” – Genghis Khan
16. “Just as God gave different fingers to the hand, so has He given different ways to men.” –Genghis Khan
17. “Despite all expectations, the time of my last campaign and of my passing is near. I wish to die at home. Let not my end disarm you, and on no account weep for me, lest the enemy be warned of my death.” – Genghis Khan
18. “Find your chill.” – Genghis Khan
19. “Be of one mind and one faith, that you may conquer your enemies and lead long and happy lives.” – Genghis Khan
20. “When my call is high, the obligations of me, too, are heavy, and I fear that my decision may be something they want.” – Genghis Khan
21. “It is not sufficient that I succeed – all others must fail.” – Genghis Khan
22. “Perhaps my children will live in stone houses and walled towns – Not I.” – Genghis Khan
23. “I hate luxury. I exercise moderation…It will be easy to forget your vision and purpose one you have fine clothes, fast horses and beautiful women. [In which case], you will be no better than a slave, and you will surely lose everything.” – Genghis Khan
24. “Violence never settles anything.” – Genghis Khan
Also check out these powerful Fyodor Dostoyevsky quotes that will inspire you to follow your dreams.
Genghis Khan quotes on community
25. “Not even a mighty warrior can break a frail arrow when it is multiplied and supported by its fellows. As long as you brothers support one another and render assistance to one another, your enemies can never gain the victory over you. But if you fall away from each other your enemy can break you like frail arrows, one at a time.” – Genghis Khan
26. “When it was wet, we bore the wet together, when it was cold, we bore the cold together.” – Genghis Khan
27. “A leader can never be happy until his people are happy.” – Genghis Khan
28. “I am from the Barbaric North. I wear the same clothing and eat the same food as the cowherds and horse-herders. We make the same sacrifices and we share our riches.” – Genghis Khan
29. “The strength of a wall is neither greater nor less than the courage of the men who defend it.” –Genghis Khan
30. “Those who were adept and brave fellows I have made military commanders. Those who were quick and nimble I have made herders of horses. Those who were not adept I have given a small whip and sent to be shepherds.” – Genghis Khan
31. “If my body dies, let my body die, but do not let my country die.” – Genghis Khan
32. “With Heaven’s aid I have conquered for you a huge empire. But my life was too short to achieve the conquest of the world. That task is left for you.” – Genghis Khan
33. “One arrow alone can be easily broken but many arrows are indestructible.” – Genghis Khan
34. “One of the joys of travel is visiting new towns and meeting new people.” – Genghis Khan
35. “Say ye unto the Khwarizmi that I am the sovereign of the sunrise, and [he is] the sovereign of the sunset. Let there be between us a firm treaty of friendship, amity, and peace, and let traders and caravans on both sides come and go.” – Genghis Khan
36. “People conquered on different sides of the lake should be ruled on different sides of the lake.” –Genghis Khan
37. “Heaven grew weary of the excessive pride and luxury of China… I am from the Barbaric North. I wear the same clothing and eat the same food as the cowherds and horse-herders. We make the same sacrifices and we share our riches. I look upon the nation as a new-born child and I care for my soldiers as though they were my brothers.” – Genghis Khan
Other Genghis Khan quotes
38. “Even when a friend does something you do not like, he continues to be your friend.” – Genghis Khan
39. “An action committed in anger is an action doomed to failure.” – Genghis Khan
40. “I’m going by the law, so that peace and happiness in the world there are hard and fast rule.” – Genghis Khan
41. “I will rule them by fixed laws so that rest and happiness shall prevail in the world.” – Genghis Khan
42. “The merit in action lies in finishing it to the end.” – Genghis Khan
43. “If lies can show the truth, they can be the truth, they can cause the truth, so I may build an empire on lies, but they are the truth.” – Genghis Khan
44. “If unable to abstain from drinking, a man may get drunk three times a month; if he does it more than three times he is culpable; if he gets drunk twice a month it is better; if once a month, this is still more laudable; and if one does not drink at all what can be better? But where can I find such a man? If such a man were found he would be worthy of the highest esteem.” – Genghis Khan
45. “There is no good in anything until it is finished.” – Genghis Khan
46. “Heaven has appointed me to rule all the nations, for hitherto there has been no order upon the steppes.” – Genghis Khan
47. “Remember, you have no companions but your shadow.” – Genghis Khan
48. “Conquering the world on horseback is easy; it is dismounting and governing that is hard.” – Genghis Khan
49. “If you’re afraid – don’t do it, – if you’re doing it – don’t be afraid!” – Genghis Khan
50. “I am the punishment of God…If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” – Genghis Khan
Do you think Genghis Khan was a great leader?
Genghis Khan was a humble leader.
He wore the same clothes as his people, respected his people’s beliefs, and fought beside his own soldiers.
Khan was a man who respected talent and he often turned people who were his enemies into his most trusted allies, promoting them based on their bravery in battle.
Genghis Khan united the world, though he had to kill millions to do it.
While some see him as a barbaric killer, others respect him as a wise leader.
Whatever your opinion, there is no denying the dedication and skill it took for him to rise from nothing into one of the most powerful men that ever existed.
Did you enjoy these Genghis Khan quotes and sayings?
Which quote was your favorite?
Let us know in the comment section below.
February 17, 2020 7:30 AM EST