Check out these real talk quotes and step up your verbal authenticity.
Looking to keep it real?
What is real talk?
Tell us your favorite real talk quote in the comment section below.
What are the benefits of reading these real talk quotes?
We see the phrase being used on everything from:
- Twitter and other social media sites
An old expression says talk is cheap; real talk is the opposite of that.
Real talk is when a person communicates with another openly and candidly.
It is being honest without fear of what others might think.
Real talk is designed to convey a message to another person that might be difficult to express or discuss.
It can also affirm a message or validate a statement made by someone.
When you think about it, the phrase “real talk” is a powerful tool for authentic self-expression.
Real talk, we live in a world full of inauthentic expression, so naturally, people have to express their sincerity through affirmations.
Adding “real talk” to the beginning or end of our statement is a creative way to authenticate what we say.
Top 10 real talk quotes to live by
1. “If it doesn’t agree with your spirit, let it go.” — Germany Kent
2. “Evil will win if good people do nothing.” — P. C. Cast, Hunted
3. “A true friend is someone who you can speak your mind to.” — Will Adolphy
4. “Without empathy, there’d be no harmony in diversity.” — Jennifer Tindugan-Adoviso
5. “You win some, you lose most. But you do win some.” — Brendan Lawley, Bonesland
6. “There is a deep power in words that speak the truth.” — P.C. and Kristin Cast, Tempted
7. “There are so many people in the world with so little. Who cares why you decide to help?” — Amy Poehler
8. “God has only granted us a limited and short amount of time on this Earth so do your best and have fun.” — Kaylee Harrell
9. “Compassion is not a seasonal feeling. Every real human must show it at all times.” — Michael Bassey Johnson, Song of a Nature Lover
10. “Just because you can’t tell what it is, doesn’t mean it’s not what it is.” — Jeanette Winterson, Oranges Are Not the Only Fruit
Real talk quotes about loving and respecting yourself
11. “If you can’t love yourself, you can’t love anyone else.” — Kemi Sogunle
12. “If you don’t love yourself, you won’t be happy with yourself.” — Kemi Sogunle
13. “If you want respect, you must first learn how to respect yourself.” — Stephanie Lahart
14. “Don’t disrespect yourself by lowering your standards and accepting just anything that comes your way.” — Stephanie Lahart
15. “You can’t give the love you do not have. You can’t make anyone love you without loving yourself first.” — Kemi Sogunle
16. “I can reassure you once you create the path you wish to walk along, what you left behind won’t even matter.” — Nikki Rowe
17. “Stop acting like you know who I am because you don’t. I didn’t even know who I was until a few weeks ago.” — Evelyn Smith, The Summer of Secrets
18. “It’s a funny thing about life; once you begin to take note of the things you are grateful for, you begin to lose sight of the things that you lack.” — Germany Kent
19. “I have outgrown so much. I think at some point we all do—we reach a stage in our life where we are forced to make a change, forced to cut friendships, relationships, jobs, and places we once called home.” — Nikki Rowe
20. “Your words may be heard, but your attitude will be felt. Your attitude reveals your character so never try to deceive anyone with mere words. Word/Talk is cheap but character is key. It costs nothing to be authentic. Learn to be a man or woman of substance!” — Kemi Sogunle
Real talk quotes about friends and the truth
21. “The truth is like sunlight. People used to think it’s good for you.” — Nancy Gribble
22. “You attract what you are, so be very mindful of how you’re representing yourself.” — Stephanie Lahart
23. “If your best friend’s friend hates you, you’ve an enemy disguised as a best friend.” — Efrat Cybulkiewicz
24. “The truth is gonna get out—it always does—but it’s gonna blend in with all the lies.” — Hugh Howey, Shift
25. “At the end of the day, friendship proves itself more through your deeds than words could ever speak.” — Germany Kent
26. “Don’t hate people who show you what’s wrong with you. They are your mirror, they are your true friends.” — C. JoyBell C.
27. “We are all affected by our pasts, but it is within our power not to let what we have done to dictate what we will do.” — P. C. and Kristin Cast, Tempted
28. “To gain more control of your life stop focusing on the drama of other people, which may include unfollowing some people both on and offline.” — Germany Kent
29. “I wanted to talk with you. Really talk. Just once. A chance we never seemed to get at school. Or at work. A chance to ask, Who are you?” — Jay Asher, 13 Reasons Why
30. “For if you would inform, a positive dogmatical manner in advancing your Sentiments, may provoke contradiction & prevent a candid attention.” — Benjamin Franklin, The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin
Real talk quotes for men and women about love and relationships
31. “Real men respect women.” — Prince Simus
32. “Always respect yourself as a woman.” — Stephanie Lahart
33. “I’m not telling you it is going to be easy- I am telling you it is going to be worth it.” — Art Williams
34. “I used to think it was corny to be in love, but actually, it’s corny to lose an awesome woman! Real talk.” — Godfrey
35. “If you want a relationship of substance, you can’t keep entertaining people and things that mean you no good.” — Stephanie Lahart
36. “But I don’t know anyone who has an easy life forever. Everyone I know gets their heart broken sometime, by something.” — Shauna Niequist
37. “When it begins to feel like too much effort, it’s probably not worth the effort and it’s totally okay to quit, give up or give in at will.” – Kayambila Mpulamasaka
38. “It’s a lot easier to patch things up with somebody when he doesn’t even know you were pissed off at him in the first place.” — Steve Kluger, Almost Like Being in Love
39. “If he can’t handle you at your worst, then he does not deserve you at your best. Real love means seeing beyond the words spoken out of pain, and instead seeing a person’s soul.” ― Shannon Alder
40. “It’s difficult to find a person who can accept the truth consistently and more when it is related to him only, and that’s what keeps the difference between the real talk and the negative talk very marginal.” — Anuj
Wise real talk quotes about life and growth
41. “The question is not, will my life be easy or will my heartbreak? But rather, when my heart breaks, will I choose to grow?” — Shauna Niequist
42. “If you are on social media, and you are not learning, not laughing, not being inspired or not networking, then you are using it wrong.” — Germany Kent
43. “Tell me the role I play in your life while I’m still alive. Instead of doing it through social media or memorial gatherings when I’m dead. That is all.” — Mitta Xinindlu
44. “It is more important to go slow and gain the lessons you need along the journey than to rush the process and arrive at your destination empty.” — Germany Kent
45. “When you make mistakes, whether they are from this life or another, learn from them- then they become opportunities.” — P. C. Cast and Kristin Cast, Tempted
46. “To lead you need to empathize, to empathize you need to genuinely understand, to understand you need to be willing to have difficult conversations.” — Sope Agbelusi
47. “Storytelling or teachable moments provides us with a vast reference base of real-life antidotes for possible future problems.” — Drexel Deal, The Fight of My Life is Wrapped Up in My Father
48. “Please understand that what keeps me alive will make me a better person toward and for you when we finally meet under easy and unstrained conditions.” — Charles Bukowski, Tales of Ordinary Madness
49. “[I retained] only the Habit of expressing myself in terms of modest diffidence, never using when I advance anything that may possibly be disputed.” — Benjamin Franklin, The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin
50. “Therefore, when we don’t take our time to communicate with our kids, then we rob them of critical life lessons that we and our forefathers learn the hard way – lessons that they would needlessly have to learn through trial and error themselves.” — Drexel Deal, The Fight of My Life is Wrapped Up in My Father
Have you engaged in real talk lately?
There is a time and place for everything.
Dave Chappelle made the concept “When keeping it real goes wrong” famous in his sketch comedy show.
Keeping it real can go wrong.
There are moments when real talk is precisely what is needed, and sometimes we should keep our “real talk” thoughts to ourselves.
The key is to practice discretion.
Real talk is telling your good friend that you would appreciate it if they could try to be a better listener.
Real talk is not telling your supervisor at work that you think their haircut is stupid.
Real talk is impeccable.
Impeccability is when our words match our actions.
We can use real talk as an opportunity for us to express our true feelings and ideas.
Real talk is when we share our truth to enhance our connection by sharing our feelings.
What is real talk to you?
Let us know in the comments below.
December 20, 2022 8:01 AM EST