These Atheist quotes will open your mind to possibilities you may not have considered before.
The idea of Atheism is that there is no God, no religion, and no questioning—that would be Agnosticism.
The idea of Atheism is only growing as more and more people begin to question the beliefs that they were brought up with.
We are fed certain supposed truths as children, and it’s up to us as adults to decide whether we still believe them to be true.
What can the idea of Atheism say about belief?
The truth is, belief is often learned, not discovered for one’s self.
When it comes to belief, the important thing is to recognize that you do not have to believe things you are unsure of, simply because someone told you they were true.
It is okay to question everything.
Also, check out our most popular quote article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily wisdom.
See the rest of our quote database for even more inspirational ideas and thoughts.
Atheist Quotes About God and Religion
1. “After coming into contact with a religious man I always feel I must wash my hands.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
2. “That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.” – Christopher Hitchens
3. “To you, I’m an atheist. To God, I’m the loyal opposition.” – Woody Allen
4. “Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.” – Epicurus
5. “All thinking men are atheists.” – Ernest Hemingway
6. “Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” – Voltaire
7. “Atheism is a non-prophet organization.” – George Carlin
8. “I’d take the awe of understanding over the awe of ignorance any day.” – Douglas Adams
9. “Properly read, the Bible is the most potent force for atheism ever conceived.” – Isaac Asimov
10. “God is an ever-receding pocket of scientific ignorance.” – Neil deGrasse Tyson
Atheist Quotes About Finding Meaning in Life
11. “We are all atheists about most of the gods that humanity has every believed in. Some of us just go one god further.” – Richard Dawkins
12. “Isn’t it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?” – Douglas Adams
13. “Atheism turns out to be too simple. If the whole universe has no meaning, we should never have found out that it has no meaning.” – C.S. Lewis
14. “Atheism is more than just the knowledge that gods do not exist, and that religion is either a mistake or a fraud. Atheism is an attitude, a frame of mind that looks at the world objectively, fearlessly, always trying to understand all things as a part of nature.” – Emmett F. Fields
15. “Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet. Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich.” – Napoleon Bonaparte
16. “Human decency is not derived from religion. It precedes it.” – Christopher Hitchens
17. “I finally decided that I’m a creature of emotion as well as reason. Emotionally, I am an atheist. I don’t have the evidence to prove that God doesn’t exist, but I so strongly suspect that he doesn’t that I don’t want to waste my time.” – Isaac Asimov
18. “We keep on being told that religion, whatever its imperfections, at least instills morality. On every side, there is conclusive evidence that the contrary is the case and that faith causes people to be more mean, more selfish, and perhaps above all, more stupid.” – Christopher Hitchens
19. “Exceptional claims demand exceptional evidence.” – Christopher Hitchens
20. “The more I learn about the universe, the less convinced I am that there’s any sort of benevolent force that has anything to do with it, at all.” –Neil deGrasse Tyson
21. “I don’t profess any religion; I don’t think it’s possible that there is a God; I have the greatest difficulty in understanding what is meant by the words ‘spiritual’ or ‘spirituality.’” – Philip Pullman
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of religious quotes from all over the world.
22. “We have a choice. We have two options as human beings. We have a choice between conversation and war. That’s it. Conversation and violence. And faith is a conversation stopper.” – Sam Harris
23. “A preoccupation with the next world clearly shows an inability to cope credibly with this one.” – Richard K Morgan
24. “A true friend is a gift from God. Since God doesn’t exist, guess what? Neither do true friends.” – Scott Dikkers
Atheist Quotes to Reason Through Belief
25. “The Bible has noble poetry in it… and some good morals and a wealth of obscenity, and upwards of a thousand lies.” – Mark Twain
26. “Is man merely a mistake of God’s? Or God merely a mistake of man?” – Friedrich Nietzsche
27. “If it turns out there is a God… the worst that you can say about him is that basically he’s an underachiever.” – Woody Allen
28. “One would go mad if one took the Bible seriously; but to take it seriously one must be already mad.” – Aleister Crowley
29. “With or without religion, good people can behave well and bad people can do evil; but for good people to do evil—that takes religion.” – Seven Weinberg
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to check out our collection of Bible quotes to get you thinking.
30. “Scientists do not join hands every Sunday and sing ‘Yes gravity is real! I know gravity is real! I will have faith! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up must come down, down, down. Amen!’ If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about the concept.” – Dan Barker
31. “To terrify children with the image of hell, to consider women an inferior creation—is that good for the world?” – Christopher Hitchens
32. “I don’t want to believe. I want to know.” – Carl Sagan
33. “She believed in nothing. Only her skepticism kept her from being an atheist.” – Jean-Paul Sartre
34. “Just keep asking yourself: What would Jesus not do?” – Chuck Palahniuk
35. “Be sure to lie to your kids about the benevolent, all-seeing Santa Claus. It will prepare them for an adulthood or believing in God.” – Scott Dikkers
36. “I tried to believe that there is a God, who created each of us in His own image and likeness, loves us very much, and keeps a close eye on things. I really tried to believe that, but I gotta tell you, the longer you live, the more you look around, the more you realize, something is fucked up.” – George Carlin
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of George Carlin quotes from the iconic comedian.
37. “Agnostics are just atheists without balls.” – Stephen Colbert
38. “Belief is the death of intelligence.” – Robert Anton Wilson
39. “I am an atheist out and out. It took me a long time to say it. I’ve been an atheist for years and years, but somehow I felt it was intellectually unrespectable to say one was an atheist, because it assumed knowledge that one didn’t have.” – Isaac Asimov
Atheist Quotes for Not Questioning Belief
40. “I believe the simplest explanation is, there is no God. No one created the universe and no one directs our fate. This leads me to a profound realization that there probably is no heaven and no afterlife either. We have this one life to appreciate the grand design of the universe and for that, I am extremely grateful.” – Stephen Hawking
41. “The whole image is that eternal suffering awaits anyone who questions God’s infinite love. That’s the message we’re brought up with isn’t it? Believe or die! Thank you, forgiving Lord, for all those options.” – Bill Hicks
42. “Civilization will not attain to its perfection until the last stone from the last church falls on the last priest.” – Emile Zola
43. “Our belief is not a belief. Our principles are not a faith. We do not rely solely upon science and reason, because these are necessary rather than sufficient factors, but we distrust anything that contradicts science or outrages reason.” – Christopher Hitchens
44. “We must question the story logic of having an all-knowing-all-powerful God, who creates faulty Humans, and then blames then for his own mistakes.” – Gene Roddenberry
45. “If there is a God, atheism must seem to Him as less of an insult than religion.” – Edmond de Goncourt
46. “The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is because vampires are allergic to bullshit.” – Richard Pryor
If you’re enjoying these quotes, you’ll love our collection of Richard Pryor quotes that will make you think.
47. “I die as I have lived, a free spirit, an Anarchist, owing no allegiance to rulers, heavenly or earthly.” – Voltairine de Cleyre
48. “Almighty God, I am sorry I am now an atheist, but have You read Nietzche?” – John Fante
49. “When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called a religion.” – Robert M. Pirsig
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of insanity quotes to help you stay sane in the chaos that is life.
50. “I have a great mind to believe in Christianity for the mere pleasure of fancying I may be damned.” – Lord Byron
More atheist quotes that will make you think
51. “All this twaddle, the existence of God, atheism, determinism, liberation, societies, death, etc., are pieces of a chess game called language, and they are amusing only if one does not preoccupy oneself with ‘winning or losing this game of chess.” ― Marcel Duchamp
52. “My atheism, like that of Spinoza, is true piety towards the universe and denies only gods fashioned by men in their own image, to be servants of their human interests.” ― George Santayana
53. “I could not believe in a God that would challenge faith like this.” ― Jonathan Safran Foer
54. “The inhabitants of the earth are of two sorts: those with brains, but no religion, and those with religion, but no brains.” ― Al-Maʿarri
55. “It’s a strange myth that atheists have nothing to live for. It’s the opposite. We have nothing to die for. We have everything to live for.” ― Ricky Gervais
56. “I studied every page of this book, and I didn’t find enough love to fill a salt shaker. God is not love in the Bible; God is vengeance, from Alpha to Omega.” ― Ruth Hurmence Green
57. “If you think God’s there, He is. If you don’t, He isn’t. And if that’s what God’s like, I wouldn’t worry about it.” ― Haruki Murakami
58. “To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible.” ― St. Thomas Aquinas
59. “I suppose that one reason I have always detested religion is its sly tendency to insinuate the idea that the universe is designed with ‘you’ in mind or, even worse, that there is a divine plan into which one fits whether one knows it or not. This kind of modesty is too arrogant for me.” ― Christopher Hitchens
60. “A young man who wishes to remain a sound atheist cannot be too careful of his reading.” ― C.S. Lewis
Atheist quotes that are filled with wisdom
61. “God was always invented to explain mystery. God is always invented to explain those things that you do not understand. Now when you finally discover how something works, you get some laws which you’re taking away from God; you don’t need him anymore. But you need him for the other mysteries.” ― Richard Feynman
62. “All children are atheists; they have no idea of God.” ― Paul-Henri Holbach
63. “The word god is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this.” ― Albert Einstein
64. “Imagine that the brain is a computer and that religion is a virus. Atheism is the wiping of that virus.” ― Nick Harding
65. “The most dangerous type of atheism is not theoretical atheism, but practical atheism — that’s the most dangerous type. And the world, even the church, is filled up with people who pay lip service to God and not life service.” ― Martin Luther King, Jr.
66. “It is not hardness of heart or evil passions that drive certain individuals to atheism, but rather a scrupulous intellectual honesty.” ― Steve Allen
67. “Since ancient times, the philosophers’ secret has always been this: we know that God does not exist, or, at least, if he does, he’s utterly indifferent to our individual affairs–but we can’t let the rabble know that; it’s the fear of God, the threat of divine punishment and the promise of divine reward, that keeps in line those too unsophisticated to work out questions of morality on their own.” ― Robert J. Sawyer
68. “An atheist doesn’t have to be someone who thinks he has a proof that there can’t be a god. He only has to be someone who believes that the evidence on the God question is at a similar level to the evidence on the werewolf question.” ― John Mccarthy
69. “Religion has actually convinced people that there’s an invisible man living in the sky who watches everything you do, every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a special list of ten things he does not want you to do.” ― George Carlin
70. “Though I dislike to differ with such a great man, Voltaire was simply ludicrous when he said that if god did not exist it would be necessary to invent him. The human invention of god is the problem to begin with.” ― Christopher Hitchens
Atheist Quotes About Their Character
71. “Atheists express their rage against God although in their view He does not exist.” — C. S. Lewis
72. “Therefore, as atheism is in all respects hateful, so in this, that it deprived human nature of the means to exalt itself, above human frailty.” — Francis Bacon
73. “If there were not God, there would be no atheists.” — G. K. Chesterton
74. “If this is not atheism, to acknowledge no other deity besides dead and senseless matter, then the word has no significance.” — Ralph Cudworth
75. “A man who parades his piety is one who, under an atheist king, would be an atheist.” — Jean De La Bruyere
76. “There are no atheists in foxholes.” — William Thomas Cummings
77. “By night an atheist half believes in God.” — Edward Young
78. “A society of atheists would immediately invent a religion.” — Honore De Balzac
79. “If you have a sloppy religion you get a sloppy atheism.” — Ronald Knox
80. “Atheism is a disease of the mind caused by eating underdone philosophy.” — Austin O’Malley
Thought Provoking Atheist Quotes About Their Beliefs
81. “It is hard to see how a great man can be an atheist. . . . We need to feel that behind us is intelligence and love.” — Calvin Coolidge
82. “The making of an Atheist implies a mental stimulation and training which brings into play the primary factors of social progress.” — Joseph McCabe
83. “It’s not so much that I’m an atheist so much as the sneaking suspicion that I myself may be god.” — Thom Yorke
84. “People think that atheists have nothing to live for, but that’s not true – it’s that we have nothing to die for.” — Matthew Healy
85. “I once wanted to become an atheist, but I gave up – they have no holidays.” — Henny Youngman
86. “An atheist is a man who believes himself an accident.” — Francis Thompson
87. “I do not feel any contempt for an atheist, who is often a man limited and constrained by his own logic to a very sad simplification.” — Gilbert K. Chesterton
88. “I am a daylight atheist.” — Brendan Behan
89. “You happen to be talking to an agnostic. You know what an agnostic is? A cowardly atheist.” — Studs Terkel
90. “The opposite of the religious fanatic is not the fanatical atheist but the gentle cynic who cares not whether there is a god or not.” — Eric Hoffer
Atheist Quotes on Living Without Belief in a Deity
91. “To be an atheist requires an indefinitely greater measure of faith than to receive all the great truths which atheism would deny.” ― G.K. Chesterton
92. “The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today is Christians who acknowledge Jesus with their lips and walk out the door and deny him by their lifestyle.” ― Brennan Manning
93. “I am an atheist because I believe in a scientific explanation for the universe, not a religious one.” ― Richard Dawkins
94. “Atheism is not a lack of morality, but a recognition that morality doesn’t come from a deity.” ― Michael Shermer
95. “Atheism is nothing more than the noises reasonable people make when in the presence of religious dogma.” ― Sam Harris
96. “The truth is that the most practical, rational, and dispassionate mindset is not religious, but atheist.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
97. “Atheism is the rejection of false ideas, not a lack of spiritual awe.” ― Matt Dillahunty
98. “Atheism is simply the lack of belief in a deity. It is not a negative or hostile stance towards religion, but simply a recognition that there is no compelling evidence for the existence of a higher power.” ― Rebecca Goldstein
99. “Atheism is the absence of belief in a god or gods. It is not a lack of morals or values, nor is it a negative worldview. It simply means you don’t believe in a higher power.” ― Penn Jillette
100. “Atheism is not a philosophy; it is not even a view of the world; it is simply a refusal to deny the obvious.” ― Sam Harris
What did you learn from these atheist quotes?
Atheism is not just about denouncing God.
These Atheist quotes show that Atheism is more than simply a lack of belief—it is a mode of questioning.
When it comes to learned beliefs, there should come a time in your life where those beliefs come up in question.
Whether the questioning is called upon from the death of a loved one, a new scientific discovery, or a simple examination of this modern world, it is important to listen, and accept the fact that not everything you learned in your youth is necessarily true.
What can be learned from the concept of Atheism?
Atheism exists, whether you’re religious or not, and it’s important to recognize that the root of it is not an insult to religion, but rather, it is a mode of questioning.
It isn’t necessary to believe everything you were taught as a child as fact, and questioning those beliefs is simply part of the path to self-discovery.
What’s your biggest takeaway from these Atheism quotes and sayings?
Do you have any other quotes to add?
Let us know in the comment section below.
February 6, 2023 5:00 AM EST