Our latest collection of Henry Drummond quotes on Everyday Power Blog.
Henry Drummond was an incredible human being that had a ton of influence during the 1800s.
Though many of his teachings involve religion, his influence goes far beyond scripture and can inform and inspire even the most secular of human beings.
He is one of the most influential religious leaders of all time and as a result, Henry Drummond quotes are worth studying.
Drummond attended Berg University where he excelled at math and science.
However, he found his true calling in religion.
As a result, he decided to attend the Free Church of Scotland and become a minister.
He was an evangelical Christian that was passionate about his beliefs.
He found meaning in his beliefs and knew that they could help others.
After years of study he became a lecturer at Free Church College.
During this time he published Natural Law in the Spirit World which attempted to combine religion and science.
Drummond recognized that science could be applied to religion and vice versa.
He emphasized that science and religion supported, rather than opposed each other.
His book was widely read and discussed.
He became famous because of his new, yet extremely sensible ideas.
His ideas resonated with people around the world and of every social class.
Henry Drummond quotes from his book are well worth studying.
He was discussed in intellectual circles and was often invited to share a meal with intellectuals and the upper-class people of his day.
During this time, he continued to study religion and to clarify his beliefs.
He published The Ascent of Man which was based on his lectures.
This book was even more influential on society than his previous one.
It emphasized that other men should care for each other and the other animals on earth.
He is sometimes referenced by groups that are attempting to protect animals.
Henry Drummond recognized that animals are as important as humans.
They should be treated with compassion and respect.
He also advocated that humans were not selfish, evil individuals.
He believed that humans are naturally compassionate and want to help others.
Though his books were focused on his time-period they are still worthy of reference today.
Many modern people discuss Henry Drummond quotes.
He had influence when he was alive and is still influential today.
Unfortunately, he died shortly after the publication of his book, The Ascent of Man.
However, his powerful ideas and legacy will live on for many years to come.
Henry Drummond Quotes on Life and Love
1. “To love abundantly is to live abundantly, and to love forever is to live forever.” – Henry Drummond
2. “I wonder why it is we are not all kinder to each other … How much the world needs it! How easily it is done!” – Henry Drummond
3. “The test of a man then is not, ‘How have I believed?’ but ‘How have I loved?'” – Henry Drummond
4. “Now faith, hope, and love abide, these three; but the greatest of these is love.” – Henry Drummond
5. “Never miss an opportunity to say I love you…Better still…Create them” – Henry Drummond
6. “Happiness… consists in giving, and in serving others.” – Henry Drummond
7. “… it takes a smart fella to say ‘I don’t know the answer!” – Henry Drummond
8. “The peculiarity of ill temper is that it is the vice of the virtuous.” – Henry Drummond
9. “He lives who dies to win a lasting name.” – Henry Drummond
10. “Courtesy is Love in little things.” – Henry Drummond
More Inspirational Henry Drummond Quotes
11. “Why do we want to live forever? Because we hope that tomorrow will bring us someone we can love. Because we want to live another day with the person we love beside us. Because we want to find someone who deserves our Love and who, in turn, will know how to love us as we deserve to be loved.
That is why, when a man has no one to love him, he feels a great desire to die. As long as he has friends, people who love him and whom he loves too, he will live. Because to live is to love.” – Henry Drummond
12. “Love is the fulfilling of the law.” Did you ever think what he meant by that? In those days men were working the passage to Heaven by keeping the Ten Commandments, and the hundred and ten other commandments which they had manufactured out of them.
Christ came and said, “I will show you a more simple way. If you do one thing, you will do these hundred and ten things, without ever thinking about them. If you love, you will unconsciously fulfill the whole law.” – Henry Drummond
13. “Any experiment that can benefit by one hairsbreadth any single human life is a thousand times worth trying.” – Henry Drummond
14. “You will find as you look back upon your life that the moments when you have truly lived are the moments when you have done things in the spirit of love.” – Henry Drummond
15. “You cannot give anything more important than the Love reflected in your own life. That is the one true universal language, which allows us to speak Chinese or the dialects of India. For if, one day, you go to those places, the silent eloquence of Love will mean that you will be understood by everyone.” – Henry Drummond
16. “I shall pass through this world but once. Any good therefore that I can do or any kindness that I can show to any human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” – Henry Drummond
17. “If we try to influence or elevate others, we shall soon see that success is in proportion to their belief of our belief in them.” – Henry Drummond
18. “Do you know the meaning of the word ‘gentleman’? It means someone who does things gently. That is the whole art and mystery of Love.” – Henry Drummond
19. “He that dwelleth in love, dwelleth in God. God is love. Therefore love. Without distinction, without calculation, without procrastination, love. Lavish it upon the poor, where it is very easy; especially upon the rich, who often need it most; most of all upon out equals, where it is very difficult, and for whom perhaps we do the least of all.” – Henry Drummond
20. “Patience; kindness; generosity; humility; courtesy; unselfishness; good temper; guilelessness; sincerity—these make up the supreme gift, the stature of the perfect man.” – Henry Drummond
July 8, 2022 5:00 AM EST